Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Someone made a Devtracker for the official forums~

Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperX
Feb 10, 2011

Songbearer posted:

They need to add this as a purchasable dump truck reskin.

You can try doing this, but the APB Effect will get to you eventually and you'll wind up covering it in graffiti, swear words, or it'll wind up pink. It might even do all of them at the same time.

I save the pink and anime boobs for special occasions.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I redeemed my retail code and got the premium time and G1 credits but none of the items. :ohdear: Do they just take a while to come through or am I boned?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Davoren posted:

I redeemed my retail code and got the premium time and G1 credits but none of the items. :ohdear: Do they just take a while to come through or am I boned?

It asks you to pick one in the armas shop after you redeem it. If you didn't get that you may want to submit a ticket and tell them which item you want.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I got the popup asking me to select one of the four weapons but I didn't get that, the pistol or the car, just sent an email to support. :(

Edit: Phew never mind, they just came though.

Doesn't seem like I can edit the car though, despite it having the gear symbol on its icon.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So, is anything going to be done about golds coming down to bronze districts and just stomping rear end 24/7? I'm getting sick of being wailed on by guys with grenade launchers.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Cabbit posted:

So, is anything going to be done about golds coming down to bronze districts and just stomping rear end 24/7? I'm getting sick of being wailed on by guys with grenade launchers.

Giving them a 75% reduction in rewards?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

If that's what's currently done, it's not dissuading them much.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Not sure what you want, really. Mods/weapons provide not a whole lot of benefit over someone with no character mods and stock weapons. This is the only shooter I know of where you can be of higher skill than someone and it will magically pit me against 3 people as if that's somehow fair.

Would the fights be less aggravating to you if they removed threat altogether and you were now fighting "golds" on a 1:1 ratio like you were on a TF2 or CS server?

Also worth noting that there's typically only 1 gold server and more often than not I get auto-placed in a silver district.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

For people who are already 195 or near it, who cares about rewards when you can stomp newbies. :3:

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I've personally felt that, ever since RTW's version of the game, they shouldn't be using threat level as a factor in matchmaking. They can keep it as a color or symbol, that's cool I guess, but it just shouldn't matter and for a few good reasons: One, having gold, bronze, silver, green, whatever threat just doesn't mean that's your skill as a player. They've tweaked the hell out of the game, I'm STILL gold threat even though I'm no good outside of a group of 4, and I see players on a daily basis that definitely "play like golds" despite being bronze or silver. Two, threat does not depict what weapons or mods are available to a player. Now, I would like to say that what Secret Sweater is true in that most modded weapons can be defeated with stock weapons; however, a year and a half later they are still tweaking the weapon stats instead of mod stats. Weapons were the issue in the original game, not so much now. Three, I feel that rating should be the biggest factor in matchmaking which creates proper tiers for players, i.e. 195s play against 195s, etc. Like threat, rating doesn't display a players skill other than they have progressed enough to "beat" the game in the case of a 195. Therefore, they know enough or have access to enough in the game that they can properly take on similarly rated players.

From what I recall one of the big ideas behind APB was to be famous or a "big name" and originally your threat was an indication of this. What happened is they took it further and made it an indication of skill as well when that simply isn't the case. I may play like poo poo even as a gold rating 195 but I still feel that I should only be matched against other 195s unless I'm grouping with members of a lower rating. And then it should penalize me for doing that. Penalization based on threat is stupid and does not work, and the evidence has shown ever since they patched it in.

EDIT: At this point I'm certain that any kind of penalization won't work except against those special players that have an issue with every rational or semi-rational change ever made in the game.

EDIT2: vvv this won't ever happen because we all know how the APB player-base is. Unless they go Hitler Mode and make a massive change that finally stops people from loving around and makes threat an actual thing to go by, it's just a pipe dream for people that actually want to enjoy this game.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 16, 2012

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Threat would work really well for matchmaking if there weren't a lot of people hell-bent on breaking the poo poo out of it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

An Unoriginal Name posted:

:words:

While I agree that rating should be a metric included with matchmaking, I don't see it as an indicator of skill at all. It only shows me what weapons someone has unlocked and how long they've been playing. I see that as a minor modifier for a player's threat.

I've heard other people say that matchmaking just takes too little into account (which I agree with) As it stands it seems to be purely a metric of wins:losses modified slightly based on the difficulty of the opposition that you won/lost against.

It should include other stats like avg targets per game, ka:d ratio, avg demerits per game, avg kills per game etc maybe even more obscure crap like avg mission phase completion time, % of missions lost before final stage, % of dispatches won before final stage.

There's tons of stats they could include that would be much more encompassing for your skills as both an individual and team player they could be including, but as I have been made to understand it, the APB:R team is small and very limited in what they can do.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 16, 2012

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

While I agree that rating should be a metric included with matchmaking, I don't see it as an indicator of skill at all. It only shows me what weapons someone has unlocked and how long they've been playing. I see that as a minor modifier for a player's threat.

I've heard other people say that matchmaking just takes too little into account (which I agree with) As it stands it seems to be purely a metric of wins:losses modified slightly based on the difficulty of the opposition that you won/lost against.

It should include other stats like avg targets per game, ka:d ratio, avg demerits per game, avg kills per game etc maybe even more obscure crap like avg mission phase completion time, % of missions lost before final stage, % of dispatches won before final stage.

There's tons of stats they could include that would be much more encompassing for your skills as both an individual and team player they could be including, but as I have been made to understand it, the APB:R team is small and very limited in what they can do.

Well see now, if they actually manage to make all those stats accountable in a player's threat then that would be awesome because then it would definitely be skill based. As it stands right now their system consists of you simply winning or losing a lot and then the system becomes "certain" of your skill based on it. The devs have responded in the past saying that it isn't simply win/loss but I disagree.

I'm fully aware that their team isn't the size it used to be, maybe some of them are working on 2 entirely different things which slows development and brings more workload (I hope they aren't doing this) but let's all be honest, adding in calculations for information like what you suggested and then ending it with "=(your threat)" cannot be such a hard task.

Also for the record I don't believe that rating determines skill either, I just think it's a better basis for matchmaking than threat currently is.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

I have to disagree the longer you've been playing the more likely you are to know what positions are good to take and how to take them from another team and apb is all about knowing where to be and with which weapon. And an osmaw can dramatically shift the course of a mission. We've all been in that game where some shithead with an osmaw shows up everytime you finally get the item moving and if you take the time to make sure he's dead before you put the item in a car his entire team will have respawned.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I just would like to maybe play a match against people who don't have a massive bankroll and a shitload of experience, as I have neither. Mods, enhancements, and weapons each may not individually make a lot of difference but put them all together and hand them to somebody who is so much better at the game than me as to be invulnerable and it takes a bad situation and makes it frustrating.

The old "playing against better players makes YOU better" adage doesn't work if I'm getting gibbed all the time without even being able to make a move. There comes a point where the skill disparity is too wide for there to be any educational merit, and it just becomes a pubstomp.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Fair enough. I don't view OSMAWS as much of a threat because I know how to deal with them. Maybe matchmaking could weigh rating more heavily the greater the gap between you and your opponents.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Cabbit posted:

Weapon unlocks with kills. Much easier killing a bronze a bunch of times vs a gold.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Grenade launchers in the hands of the kind of guys who always while running, point it up in the air in Baylan and nail a target 90+ away as accurate like it was a mortar in BF3 are a larger threat.

Don't see many of those these days though.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

MrLonghair posted:

Grenade launchers in the hands of the kind of guys who always while running, point it up in the air in Baylan and nail a target 90+ away as accurate like it was a mortar in BF3 are a larger threat.

Don't see many of those these days though.

Because it's not very good. Skilled players able to do this use guns because guns are better and not mostly situational.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

How to fix the Golds Stomping on Newbies problem:
1. Lock out Golds from entering Bronze/Green districts at all. Also keep Silvers out of Green districts.
2. Give reward reductions based on the skill of the player killed, not district level. -10% for one level below, -50% for two levels below, -100% for 3 levels below.
3. No role advancement for killing players 2 or more threat levels below you.

Fight Club needs this more than the mission districts. It simply doesnt have enough players for the current system to work properly.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 16, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Secret Sweater posted:

Because it's not very good. Skilled players able to do this use guns because guns are better and not mostly situational.

I mean, larger threat than OSMAW, the OPGL is.

In most situations and objective placements :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Unrelated to the current conversation, I just found myself putting flame decals on a car I bought. I fear I will be a walking fashion disaster by the end of next week, as appears to be the trend.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

What you could do instead is get clothes that cover as much skin as possible and then make them all grey, poo poo make your skin grey too and then wander around the beacon like a murderous chameleon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The path is grey.

That could become a good gimmick.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker

Great Beer posted:

How to fix the Golds Stomping on Newbies problem:
1. Lock out Golds from entering Bronze/Green districts at all. Also keep Silvers out of Green districts.
2. Give reward reductions based on the skill of the player killed, not district level. -10% for one level below, -50% for two levels below, -100% for 3 levels below.
3. No role advancement for killing players 2 or more threat levels below you.

Fight Club needs this more than the mission districts. It simply doesnt have enough players for the current system to work properly.

It's this kind of crap that ruined this game for me. APB has to be the only game I've ever played that constantly punishes people for doing well, and caters to lovely players. If only they would just ignore all the whining and focus on adding new content and fixing bugs instead of thinking of new ways to punish people for being 'good'.

keeb fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 16, 2012

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh god, having to fight people on your skill level. The horror.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
The problem is it doesn't work for many reasons that have been extensively discussed.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Teaming up with your buddy and playing Rocket Squad in Fight Club: loving hilarious. Expensive, but every shot that landed was worth all the other ten rockets that missed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Secret Sweater posted:

The problem is it doesn't work for many reasons that have been extensively discussed.

Yeah, but neither does getting stomped by people who are incredibly above your level in about every metric. It turns people off and makes the game impenetrable to new players.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
"Then we are at an impasse"

Basically we're hosed until the devs come up with something. Which, given their team size, is going to be awhile.

Their roadmap had to be set to one of three things the community wanted: new content, bug fixes+cleaning up code or creating new code for poo poo like new matchmaking systems.

New content won out, which is why we're seeing poo poo like pink guns and reskins of the n-tec instead of fixing fundamental issues with the game.

edit:
I've heard that the game is actually making a decent amount of money, but whether G1 will actually translate that into more devs working on progressing the game, I'm personally doubtful. I predict that they will milk the game for as long as possible adding just enough content to keep the die hards around until they've turned a profit and stop caring completely. Things to hope for!

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 17, 2012

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Tboo Thursday was extremely successful this week. Awesome job everyone! :cool:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Tboo Thursday was extremely successful this week. Awesome job everyone! :cool:

I had no clue what I was doing, so I just drove a truck into every huge crowd I could find. It seemed to be the thing to do.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So, hey, aside from the machine.ini optimization stuff, is there any way to keep APB from becoming murderously slow/unplayable after about an hour+ of play? Having to exit and re-launch it every ninety minutes to keep my framerate manageable and get rid of stuttering jumps is getting tiresome.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Cabbit posted:

So, hey, aside from the machine.ini optimization stuff, is there any way to keep APB from becoming murderously slow/unplayable after about an hour+ of play? Having to exit and re-launch it every ninety minutes to keep my framerate manageable and get rid of stuttering jumps is getting tiresome.

What kind of computer do you have?

The .ini tweaks is pretty much the most you can do without replacing parts.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

What kind of computer do you have?

The .ini tweaks is pretty much the most you can do without replacing parts.

AMD X2 Dual Core 3GHz, Vista 7 64bit, 4 GB ram.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Cabbit posted:

AMD X2 Dual Core 3GHz, Vista 7 64bit, 4 GB ram.

Alright well I can't speak for other people with dual cores but I think your issue is the lack of more cores as well as RAM, especially if it's not DDR3. APB is (has been) CPU bound and heavily relies on how much RAM you have available at any given moment. I have this story where once upon a time I upgraded to 8gbs of RAM and APB would still stutter so I gave it another 4 when prices went down and the stutters were eliminated. Also my game doesn't crash anymore.

Another factor is your hard drive. APB uses a kind of content streaming system where instead of fully loading every single thing you need, it's constantly accessing your hard drive as well as doing things like downloading, writing, and accessing customized content. A 7200 RPM hard drive with a decent cache should have no issues, and an SSD is ideal.

EDIT: Wait are you on Vista or Windows 7? Conflicting info there. Also a decent graphics card will help performance but honestly if you're not using poo poo like AA or ambient occlusion which you don't need anyways you can easily just use a budget card.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 17, 2012

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Alright well I can't speak for other people with dual cores but I think your issue is the lack of more cores as well as RAM, especially if it's not DDR3. APB is (has been) CPU bound and heavily relies on how much RAM you have available at any given moment. I have this story where once upon a time I upgraded to 8gbs of RAM and APB would still stutter so I gave it another 4 when prices went down and the stutters were eliminated. Also my game doesn't crash anymore.

Another factor is your hard drive. APB uses a kind of content streaming system where instead of fully loading every single thing you need, it's constantly accessing your hard drive as well as doing things like downloading, writing, and accessing customized content. A 7200 RPM hard drive with a decent cache should have no issues, and an SSD is ideal.

I don't really know if throwing more cores at it is the solution. I think on my phenom iix4, I see only 25% usage (1 core), so it would stand to reason that you need more powerful cores and not more cores. The rest sounds about right.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

EDIT: Wait are you on Vista or Windows 7? Conflicting info there. Also a decent graphics card will help performance but honestly if you're not using poo poo like AA or ambient occlusion which you don't need anyways you can easily just use a budget card.

Windows 7, sorry. Card's a Geforce 9600 GT.

The game runs fine when I load it up and for awhile, but as time wears on the thing becomes increasingly unplayable and slow. It's not so much it can't handle it as performance degrades the longer I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't really know if throwing more cores at it is the solution. I think on my phenom iix4, I see only 25% usage (1 core), so it would stand to reason that you need more powerful cores and not more cores. The rest sounds about right.

I had a dual core back in RTW days and at the half-way point between then and APB:R got a dual core that unlocked to quad. I noticed an immense difference in performance between then and now, like big enough that I'm 99% sure it had nothing to do with them optimizing the game or anything. More recently I took advantage of the Black Edition properties of my processor and have it overclocked to 4gz on air so a major chunk of my framedrop/stutter issues have virtually vanished. I still have gamebreaking problems like particle effects/smoke dropping fps by almost 20+ at times though, but it's an issue with the very high resolution the effects were made in.

EDIT: ^^^ it's because the game has a non-issue issue (and yes I mean it exactly the way I just typed it) with RAM management. Because there is so much need for memory in APB which includes but isn't limited to player customizations, textures, models, and so on that it generally won't release it back to the system until the game is shut down. I think there's a variable in the .ini tweak post that forces RAM purge after a certain point but can't confirm if it works anymore. In other words you are literally running out of memory.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 17, 2012

• Locked thread