Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roarshark
Apr 7, 2002
i got killed by black bugs on my video game

Dead Alice posted:

My :siren:girlfriendoutrage:siren:

What's this about using tax payer time and equipment? You've never checked your own email on your work computer or taken a break?

I'm not the one who championed an anti-scalping law and then sold tickets to the same show 3 years in a row using his parliamentary email address and office to do so, not to mention other tickets to other events.

Apparently he didn't know that there was a "Buy Now" option, even though its on the very same page. Trevor Mallard, the gift that just keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

It should be standard practice period, it's only fair to offer the Opposition Leader and the Prime Minister rights of rebuttal to the other on the broadcasts they frequent. But please, keep insinuating that you're the only one who really understands politics as you always do.

It's been standard practice for said television channel to only offer the same spot to the leader of the opposition as they offer to the leader of the Government in election years.

You're welcome.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Please tell me you have a link.

I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

This article also points out the stupidity of Jacqui Dean.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

roarshark posted:

It's been standard practice for said television channel to only offer the same spot to the leader of the opposition as they offer to the leader of the Government in election years.

You're welcome.

Yes I know what the status quo is, I have read the articles about it. I'm saying that it should extend further. Like, I'm pretty sure that's not too difficult to understand.

v DISREGARD EDIT

Pigeon Shamus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 16, 2012

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

You want to point out the part in the post you quoted where I complained about it? I trust you'll learn how to comprehend what you're reading in the near future, you patronising gently caress.

Sure.

Vagabundo posted:

Shearer does get a fair bit of TV and radio time elsewhere, but it does appear a bit dodgy when the government-owned broadcaster announces that the leader of the opposition will no longer be appearing on their airwaves regularly while the PM does.

So it doesn't matter that that's the way it's been for at least a decade. It still "appears to be a bit dodgy".

That looks like complaining to me, but perhaps I'm wrong.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Yes I know what the status quo is, I have read the articles about it. I'm saying that it should extend further. Like, I'm pretty sure that's not too difficult to understand.

Ideally they'd get equal coverage no matter what year it is in the election cycle, yeah.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE
Jul 9, 2010

roarshark posted:

I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

This article also points out the stupidity of Jacqui Dean.

quote:

In 2001 a staffer in New Zealand Green Party MP Sue Kedgley's office responded to a request for support for a campaign to ban dihydrogen monoxide by saying she was "absolutely supportive of the campaign to ban this toxic substance". This was criticised in press releases by the National Party[citation needed], one of whose MPs fell for the very same hoax six years later.

I think you may be misrepresenting this event slightly.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE posted:

I think you may be misrepresenting this event slightly.

Yes, that's true. But if that's the quality of their staffers I'd love to hear their opinion on homeopathy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

roarshark posted:

Sure.

So it doesn't matter that that's the way it's been for at least a decade. It still "appears to be a bit dodgy".

That looks like complaining to me, but perhaps I'm wrong.

:ughh: Yes you are wrong. But I'm sure that's not exactly a brand new experience for you. How about reading the entire post? "Appears to be dodgy" is not a complaint, it's an observation. I'll type this slowly, for your benefit. An observation is not the same as a complaint. And what has been observed is that the opposition is scoring points off of the government for very convincing allegations of political interference in the media, which happens to more or less coincide with the leader of the opposition no longer being invited to appear on a morning show on a government owned channel. Now, can you see how this might appear to be rather "dodgy?" Can you see why someone might use that word to describe it? Get it? Got it? Good.

Christ, you're the worst kind of idiot: the smug idiot.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

roarshark posted:

Yes, that's true. But if that's the quality of their staffers I'd love to hear their opinion on homeopathy.

Sadly, that's not a fringe left thing, that's a stupid person thing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4743255/Jerry-Mateparae-named-as-new-Governor-General

quote:

His Defence Force biography says his interests include reading, watching sport, homeopathy and keeping fit.

gently caress, why do people believe that poo poo.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

:ughh: Yes you are wrong. But I'm sure that's not exactly a brand new experience for you. How about reading the entire post? "Appears to be dodgy" is not a complaint, it's an observation. I'll type this slowly, for your benefit. An observation is not the same as a complaint. And what has been observed is that the opposition is scoring points off of the government for very convincing allegations of political interference in the media, which happens to more or less coincide with the leader of the opposition no longer being invited to appear on a morning show on a government owned channel. Now, can you see how this might appear to be rather "dodgy?" Can you see why someone might use that word to describe it? Get it? Got it? Good.

Christ, you're the worst kind of idiot: the smug idiot.

So you're saying that it doesn't matter at all that the broadcaster has followed the same pattern for at least the last decade, and that it's "dodgy" only now? And that every political party has called into question the impartiality of the media no matter what side of the government benches they sit on when it suits them?

You should probably look up the word "smug" in the dictionary.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Sadly, that's not a fringe left thing, that's a stupid person thing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4743255/Jerry-Mateparae-named-as-new-Governor-General

gently caress, why do people believe that poo poo.

No idea. It's hilarious that this kind of poo poo still persists though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

roarshark posted:

So you're saying that it doesn't matter at all that the broadcaster has followed the same pattern for at least the last decade, and that it's "dodgy" only now? And that every political party has called into question the impartiality of the media no matter what side of the government benches they sit on when it suits them?

You should probably look up the word "smug" in the dictionary.

Now you're getting it! Now, follow this train of thought here: I originally mentioned TVNZ's defence for this move. Now, I then moved on to discuss the timing of this move. Can you tell me why the timing that they chose to do this may be problematic?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 16, 2012

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Now you're getting it!

So it's "dodgy" because its the current government is doing it, despite previous governments being under the exact same set of circumstances. Okay then.

EDIT:

Sorry, didn't see your edit. But the timing means nothing. For instance, remember when Labour absolutely hated Hagar over the corngate fiasco?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

roarshark posted:

See above. The Greens were really complaining about the hours their staff were being paid for, rather than the technology. That's an entirely different kettle of fish, but you can always rely on the Greens to emotionalise everything rather than debate it in a rational way.

Combine that with their hilarious support of banning DiHydrogen Monoxide and you've got a barrel of laughs. And let's not forget their awesome taxypayer funded retirement scheme through property. Yes sir, the Greens dont ever lie about anything.

Ok so quote them lying then. I'll give an example of quoting a lie to help;

quote:

Combine that with their hilarious support of banning DiHydrogen Monoxide

You've used the word "their" to make it seem like this was party policy, rather than a single mp getting duped and releasing a statement of support for something she was sent over a decade ago.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ok so quote them lying then. I'll give an example of quoting a lie to help;

You've used the word "their" to make it seem like this was party policy, rather than a single mp getting duped and releasing a statement of support for something she was sent over a decade ago.

That's a fair point, but I cant envision Keith Locke disagreeing with her at the time.

Bring back Rod Donald.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

roarshark posted:

That's a fair point, but I cant envision Keith Locke disagreeing with her at the time.
Wishing don't make it so.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

roarshark posted:

So it's "dodgy" because its the current government is doing it, despite previous governments being under the exact same set of circumstances. Okay then.

So basically you're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a complete idiot.

roarshark posted:

EDIT:

Sorry, didn't see your edit. But the timing means nothing. For instance, remember when Labour absolutely hated Hagar over the corngate fiasco?

So why doesn't the timing mean anything, when there are issues like Key's hamfisted handling of the teapot tapes by having the police turn the offices of various news agencies upside down, the fact that our media dropped 5 places out of the top 10 list of countries with the greatest media freedom as well fresh in the mind, not to mention the ongoing fall-out of the RadioLive John Key Power Hour or McElrea attempting to quash the child poverty documentary before it aired?

Are you actually incapable of seeing how even if this weren't the intention of TVNZ, the fact that they chose this particular time to do it and their status as the government-owned broadcaster can potentially raise some uncomfortable questions?

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

Wishing don't make it so.

He's been guilty of far more stupidy than Sue Ledgely ever was. The worst part was how people voted for him.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Ok so quote them lying then.

Claiming that Peter Dunne campaigned against asset sales. You'll notice the Greens have gone very quiet on this, because it's pretty much total bullshit (as Gordon Campbell, no fan of Dunne's, pointed out).

Some of their recent comments on the Crafar farms sale are either embarrassingly ignorant about how the Overseas Investment Act works or deliberately misleading, as well.

And going back a bit, they didn't exactly cover themselves in glory after the Royal Commission on Genetic Engineering failed to deliver the answer they wanted.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

So basically you're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a complete idiot.

So why doesn't the timing mean anything, when there are issues like Key's hamfisted handling of the teapot tapes by having the police turn the offices of various news agencies upside down, the fact that our media dropped 5 places out of the top 10 list of countries with the greatest media freedom as well fresh in the mind, not to mention the ongoing fall-out of the RadioLive John Key Power Hour or McElrea attempting to quash the child poverty documentary before it aired?

Are you actually incapable of seeing how even if this weren't the intention of TVNZ, the fact that they chose this particular time to do it and their status as the government-owned broadcaster can potentially raise some uncomfortable questions?

I'll explain this carefully and slowly for you:

For at least the last 10 years, the leader of the opposition has only been given equal time on the same programmes as the prime minister in election years.

You can have whatever conspiracy theories you like about it, but to actually think that this is some sort of government media control when the very same media outlets did exactly the same thing to the party that is now in governmment in years past is just silly.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

roarshark posted:

For at least the last 10 years, the leader of the opposition has only been given equal time on the same programmes as the prime minister in election years.

You can have whatever conspiracy theories you like about it, but to actually think that this is some sort of government media control when the very same media outlets did exactly the same thing to the party that is now in governmment in years past is just silly.

Vagabundo's point is that perception matters and this looks a bit shady at this particular time and place (although, Vagabundo, not as much as the frothing idiots on No Right Turn and the Standard might lead you to believe).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

roarshark posted:

He's been guilty of far more stupidy than Sue Ledgely ever was. The worst part was how people voted for him.
My point stands. Your being able to imagine something doesn't make it a fact.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Aside from the fact that lies are par for the course for basically every party and suggesting the Greens are guilty above and beyond the usual is a bit rich (especially when one of the lies cited so far is that loving H2O thing, which is less a lie and more a gaffe) -

Trouble Man posted:

Some of their recent comments on the Crafar farms sale are either embarrassingly ignorant about how the Overseas Investment Act works or deliberately misleading, as well.

I'm going to own this one. I support the Crafar farms deal and I'm not going to deny Labour and the Greens have been engaging in dogwhistle politics over this (Labour more so - "Do you want to be a tenant in your own country," anyone?), but I'm still backing the Greens generally (NOT ON THIS ISSUE) because parts of the party are warming to the idea of foreign direct investment and I've been assured that there's internal debate over this issue. I don't know, that could just be another one of those Green lies that I've been told to placate me.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Aside from the fact that lies are par for the course for basically every party and suggesting the Greens are guilty above and beyond the usual is a bit rich (especially when one of the lies cited so far is that loving H2O thing, which is less a lie and more a gaffe) -

I'm going to own this one. I support the Crafar farms deal and I'm not going to deny Labour and the Greens have been engaging in dogwhistle politics over this (Labour more so - "Do you want to be a tenant in your own country," anyone?), but I'm still backing the Greens generally (NOT ON THIS ISSUE) because parts of the party are warming to the idea of foreign direct investment and I've been assured that there's internal debate over this issue. I don't know, that could just be another one of those Green lies that I've been told to placate me.

I hope this is the case.

On an unrelated note, do they have debates over genetic engineering of food too? Because if not they deserve to be consigned to the rubbish bin of NZ politics.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

roarshark posted:

I hope this is the case.

On an unrelated note, do they have debates over genetic engineering of food too? Because if not they deserve to be consigned to the rubbish bin of NZ politics.

I'd content that it's your posts that deserve to be consigned to the rubbish bin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Pigeon Shamus posted:

I love the idea of banning foreign ownership of farmland. Sure, let's halve the value of massively indebted farms nationwide! Haven't had a foreclosure crisis yet; better force one in our major export industry :feelsgood:

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

door.jar posted:

I'd content that it's your posts that deserve to be consigned to the rubbish bin.

Or perhaps Trevor Mallard's trademe account.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

^EDIT: That doesn't even make sense.

roarshark posted:

I hope this is the case.

I don't know, my :siren: FRIEND IN THE GREENS :siren: is more of an economics guy so I haven't heard anything about that. They probably have debates about everything. At least, that's what a good political party would do.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Greens are so stupid, how about this stupid thing I can just see them doing? Aren't they just so stupid? If they did this thing I imagine them doing they'd be the dumbest, right?

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

^EDIT: That doesn't even make sense.

I don't know, my :siren: FRIEND IN THE GREENS :siren: is more of an economics guy so I haven't heard anything about that. They probably have debates about everything. At least, that's what a good political party would do.

They got pretty hysterical about GE food the last time it was a major issue. Hopefully they've gotten rid of enough nutbars now to have a reasonable discussion about it.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.

roarshark posted:

They got pretty hysterical about GE food the last time it was a major issue. Hopefully they've gotten rid of enough nutbars now to have a reasonable discussion about it.

This but also about stem cells.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ClubmanGT posted:

This but also about stem cells.

Can you please link me to something showing the Green Party of New Zealand getting hysterical about stem cells.

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002

Can you please link me to something showing the Green Party of New Zealand getting hysterical about stem cells.

I'd like to see this too. They've been very sensible about it from what I've seen.

roarshark fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 16, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

roarshark posted:

I'll explain this carefully and slowly for you: I am aware of that, you dunce. In fact, I acknowledged it in the first post I made on this particular topic. You know, the one you originally quoted? In the very first sentence?

roarshark posted:

Who said there's a conspiracy? I'm pointing out that the timing of it creates the perception of there being one. It's not much of a stretch, if one weren't so obtuse.

Trouble Man posted:

Vagabundo's point is that perception matters and this looks a bit shady at this particular time and place (although, Vagabundo, not as much as the frothing idiots on No Right Turn and the Standard might lead you to believe).

No, it probably doesn't. It was merely an observation. I never said it was anything more than that, despite what that idiot would like you to believe.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 16, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The most recent thing after a quick google search yielded this:

quote:

7. Stem cell research: What is your position on government regulation and funding of stem cell research?

We do not have a specific policy on stem cell research, but in general we support ethical research (with community involvement and access) that enhances our quality of life.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/2008/10/30/election-08-10-science-questions-for-the-green-party/

Not really what I'd call hysterical.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Dude you could have stretched that out to 5 posts if you were able to whip yourself in a lather like roarshark can.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Dead Alice posted:

Dude you could have stretched that out to 5 posts if you were able to whip yourself in a lather like roarshark can.

sharks roar, not edit.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It looks like the idea behind assett sales is based on numbers which Bill English just made up to make it seem like it makes sense. The only problem with that plan is that even with his imaginary numbers it still doesn't make any financial sense to sell the assetts. With projected savings in the debt servicing around $250-300 million in 2016 and lost revenue from the assetts around $350 million

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10786103

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

NZ Herald posted:

Greens co-leader Russel Norman said he was "pretty shocked that the Finance Minister went into the election telling us that these were reasonably accurate figures and now he is telling us they are just a guess.

look at the Greens leaving out the facts again am i rite?

• Locked thread