Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

im dumb nvm

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
While using Skype, it's possible to copy/paste what someone else said, and it's in large quotes with a grey line indicating it's quoted. But, apparently it's possible to change that with something nobody actually said. How is that done? :iiam:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I doubt we have a General Facebook Question thread, so I'll put it here:

For the sake of privacy and brevity, I'm A. My friend is B, and Creepy Guy is C.

C has this quirk of photoshopping Facebook pictures of B to practice photoshopping. B gets a bit weirded out about it, but she's too kind to say anything. I didn't think too highly of it myself, until C started using my pictures with her in them to do his little hobby.

If I block C, will any current and later pictures of me with B also vanish from C's purview? If he's going to be a Weird Creepy Guy, I don't want him being a Weird Creepy Guy using my poo poo.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

MisterBibs posted:

I doubt we have a General Facebook Question thread, so I'll put it here:

For the sake of privacy and brevity, I'm A. My friend is B, and Creepy Guy is C.

C has this quirk of photoshopping Facebook pictures of B to practice photoshopping. B gets a bit weirded out about it, but she's too kind to say anything. I didn't think too highly of it myself, until C started using my pictures with her in them to do his little hobby.

If I block C, will any current and later pictures of me with B also vanish from C's purview? If he's going to be a Weird Creepy Guy, I don't want him being a Weird Creepy Guy using my poo poo.

If you block someone on Facebook, you simply do not exist anymore to them. You can't view them either. But they won't be able to access your account at all, and if someone links them to a photo or post of yours, it'll come up with an error messagey thing. It's really as if you didn't have a profile at all. I have had to block a few people, so I looked into it. Granted, FB changes privacy policy every day and twice on Sundays, but that information should be reliable.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 17, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you block him, all pictures that you have uploaded will obviously not be visible. Pictures others have uploaded of you will remain visible, but you will not be tagged in them from his point of view.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
(UK goon) How is Ohio in the "mid-west" of the USA? Looking at the map this makes no sense to me?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It probably dates back to when most of the population was on the east coast, California was "far west" and those middle areas were "mid west".

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Jippa posted:

(UK goon) How is Ohio in the "mid-west" of the USA? Looking at the map this makes no sense to me?

The thirteen colonies extended pretty much only to the Appalachian mountains - the rest of the land up to the Mississippi River was claimed by Great Britain but was really just Indian land. As part of the Treaty of Paris after the Revolutionary War, the U.S. obtained all the land (except East and West Florida, and what is now Canada) between the east coast and the Mississippi River. Some of this land was claimed by the states as part of their royal sea-to-sea grant: Connecticut received its Western Reserve (now northeastern Ohio), Georgia got what is now Alabama and Mississippi sans their bootheels, North Carolina got Tennessee, and Virginia filled out West Virginia and Kentucky.

Virginia's sea-to-sea grant also entitled it to most of the area north of it and west of Pennsylvania, which now includes Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and part of Minnesota. This area was ceded to the federal government in exchange for assumption of Virginia's war debt, and was created the Northwest Territory. Because it was - it was the northwestern part of the country, and was very much the wild frontier of the nation. Eventually, through calving off other territories, Northwest Territory became the state of Ohio. And of course, looking at a map now, you would never think of Ohio as Northwest. (Note: "Northwest Territory" is short for "Territory North West of the River Ohio". "Southwest Territory", short for "Territory South of the River Ohio", became Tennessee after North Carolina ceded that to the federal government for the same reason)

This legacy lives on - Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Northwestern University in Chicago, etc.

So, when the country jumped Old Man River and started expanding into what had been New France, they needed a new name for this new vast western half of the country. The old northwest was now far from the northwest part of the country, so I guess they just retermed it midwest. It's still west of the original core of the country, and that's how everything has really been defined. I don't really know the history of the term itself, just how we got there.

Note that this is probably why Oregon and Washington are referred to as the "Pacific Northwest" instead of just "Northwest".

My source (well, I'm the source, because I wrote the article and made the maps): Wikipedia on the territorial evolution of the U.S.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I don't know if it is the change in weather, if they changed the formula, or some other random thing, but I've noticed that my current deodorant/antiperspirant doesn't work for poo poo anymore. Like many goons, I turn into a sweaty greaseball almost immediately after exposure to the sun. So I was wondering if anybody had some good recommendations for a lady's deodorant/antiperspirant.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Jippa posted:

Golbez covered it mostly, but I'll blabber on anyway: It's tradition, really. Until nearly the 20th century, the "west" of the US was considered anything on the western side of the Mississippi. Before that, and during the US civil war, here's what the US population looked like:

Remember, the Louisiana purchase was not too much earlier than that. Saint Louis was considered the western point of US civilization until after the war. So, as you can see, Ohio in the middle of the US by that reference point. "The South" were the states east of Louisiana. Sure, Texas was included in the Confederacy and Oregon and California were states by the first secession, but Texas was kind of it's own thing. It was commonly mentioned as, "The South AND Texas."

Similar to your question about The Midwest, we have screwed geography when referring to the south. Sometimes, people say, "the deep south," as if that helps clarify anything. "The South" is still, really, the geographic south-east of the US: The former confederate states. That screwy idea continues westward where "The Southwest" somehow isn't California, and the hub of The Southwest is in Texas. That's why many businesses with "Southwest" in their titles, like Southwest Airlines, are centered in Houston.

As more states emerged from territories, people started having problems talking about The West versus "way out west." All the places that were unreachable by the Mississippi essentially became The West, and the broad Mississippi basin (Ohio River included) are the core of the Midwest. Except Confederate states. And Texas. And the state of Hoopiston which you might now know as Kentucky and Tennessee, which was known as "The Westeast" for a while. This contained The Westies mountain range. Virginia was part of the "half south," See, Virginia was a confederate state, and West Virginia split off and joined the union, which was The North.

By the way, I should clarify that Houston and most of North East Texas were previously known as being part of the Mexinorth. To make matters worse, the state of Westeros was bought from French Canada, and it actually starts 200 miles from the Atlantic. Westeros was a huge purchase that ran from the Bay of Ice (Now Hudson Bay) in northern Canada all the way down to what is now called the Gulf of Mexico.

Westeros contained several regions like The Riverlands, The Reach, and The Crownlands (Those wacky crown-loyal Canadians!). Westeros also includes The Westerlands, and people from that part of Canada were called "Westermen." So, at that time, if you said you were going to the west, you had to specify if you meant Westeros in general, the Westerlands, way out west to California, or what. Now can you see why people just started calling Ohio the Midwest?

Oh, and there's The South as I already explained it, but south of Westeros was Sotheros. This is south of the gulf (In Middle and South America). The Gulf used to be known as the Summer Sea, obviously.

In the far north part of Canada there's a natural wall. Natives referred to the area north of the wall by a word that, translated, meant "Lands of Always Winter." Everyone else just called it "The North." That's Westeros' north, not the US north. "The North" was also a region, like the Riverlands, that was south of the wall in the northern part of Westeros (North of the northern US states, as we know them now). Basically, anything north of The Twins was called "The North" in Westeros.

The North region, (not north of the wall, but the actual political region) was sold back to Canada in order to help fund the war. It became parts of Ontario, Manitoba, and Quebec because Canada, unlike the stubborn US, will stop calling something "The North" when it's their geographic south. Quebec is both a province and a city, but Quebec the city was once the french word for "White Harbor" (I don't remember the French name). Obviously, that's related to the White Knife river, which was the main route between White Harbor and Winterfell, which is the original home of the House Stark. Canada's former city of Winterfell, if you play Skyrim, is where they got the name from, although they completely ignored Winterfell's storied heritage and included no references to the Starks.

By the way, the definition of "stark" as we know it in terms like a "stark landscape" or a "stark madness" came from these early Canadians, not the other way around. I mention this because you asked about Ohio, and there's a Stark County in Ohio named after them.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
That map confuses me - how could there be so many more people in southwest Florida than the rest of the state? Or, wait... I guess that could be the old borders of Monroe County, and people were in the Keys? (Monroe County is an interesting anomaly - 95% of the land is on the continent, but at present, only like 30 people live there. 99.9% of the people in the county live in the Keys)

Edit: and hah, good job with the rest of that post. :)

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 17, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for opportunities in what people call "voluntourism." Basically it's travelling somewhere cool and getting a free stay (and maybe other things) for doing some volunteer work of some kind. And plus you get a bonus "good feeling" :jerkbag:

Does anyone know any good resources? Is there a thread on this topic in particular? I didn't find any obvious ones.

In case it matters, I'm as interested in the volunteering task as I am in the location. I'd like to do something I care about.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Simple question, how much does it suck living near an active train track? Train goes through every 3-4 hours. Found a great house at a good price that I want to buy but it is close to the tracks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Simple question, how much does it suck living near an active train track? Train goes through every 3-4 hours. Found a great house at a good price that I want to buy but it is close to the tracks.

Define close. Next to? Several blocks away? Half mile?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

NitroSpazzz posted:

It will affect your resale value and also how quickly you will be able to sell it should you choose to move in a few years. Can you go there at night and find out how loud it is?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd think you could get used to it after a while but good luck ever selling the house

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I have a few DVDs I made of old home videos using a DVD Recorder. I'd like to transfer these to my computer to keep them in a digital format on a hard disk rather than DVD.

I thought I could just drag the video files from the DVD to a folder on my hard drive, but I see a bunch of .vob files. Is there a program, I'm guessing some sort of DVD Ripper, that can somehow turn the video from the DVD into one file, such as MPEG or AVI?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I'm hoping this is the best place to ask, because it shouldn't need too much attention and it seems to be more "life experience stuff" than "legal megathread stuff" and searching for answers on Google brought up shady stuff. Anyway:

[redacted]

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 10, 2012

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I grew up less than a quarter mile from active freight train tracks and now live less than a quarter mile from active commuter train tracks.

Honestly? You only ever register the train's horn every once in a great while. At first you'll be all "Oh, there's the train," but then you won't even give it second thought when you do hear it. It will not wake you up in the middle of the night, and depending on where you are along the train track you might not even hear the horn at all. Most trains only sound their horns at intersections/crossings; it's not like trains do nothing but sound their horn continuously all along their route. Plus, most cities work with the train companies to keep noise as quiet as possible while still allowing for safety/alerting people of the coming train.

Obviously not all people are able to tolerate that kind of noise and they should move to quieter neighborhoods, but in my experience, proximity to train tracks is not a dealbreaker.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

NitroSpazzz posted:

I rented from a friends mother, with a very active track like that. The Amtrack trains generally are fine, and you get used to it, however the loving freight trains are always loud as motherfucking fuckall and it always sucked, especially trying to put a 1 year old to bed/nap. I cannot comment on vibration, as the tracks are raised on a mound of earth so none of it hit the house aside from noise vibration from the freight trains.
My buddy's house is next to a lighter used section of track, and you feel a slight vibration (again, mostly Amtrack), with noise being ok, as the freight trains never go by that way for whatever reason.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for the info on train noise, house is 100-125 feet away. It's a freight line and while I was touring the house Wednesday a train went by. Loud but I think I can sleep through it and according to the gas station attendant and a neighbor I bumped into they don't blow the horn in the area.

Resale kind of worries me though, it's a unique house that only a certain few would be looking for anyways so a train might make it unsellable.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for the history lesson. :) (mid-west stuff)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Knightmare posted:

I'd think you could get used to it after a while but good luck ever selling the house

I used to live literally 6 feet from the edge of the tracks.

I got used to it pretty quickly. They were slow-moving trains, perhaps fast ones would have been more disruptive?

The 4am mail train actaully helped my sleep pattern a lot.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 8, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is it still possible to see an user's old avatars?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

This is what I have bookmarked.

\/\/\/ sorry--just trying to build up some good favor so someone answers my question upthread. :sun:

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 18, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

^^^ :argh:

Abel Wingnut posted:

http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Thank you.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

Experience on rotations in medical school/desire to spend time in the OR vs. clinic/lifestyle vs. money considerations, mostly. With the exception of podiatry, which is its own school/professional track. Assuming you're serious and think OB/GYN would be exciting because you're a warm-blooded heterosexual male, I'm going to share a choice :nms: tale from the medical school megathread, which you should also check out if you're interested in pursuing medicine as a career.

Disgusting tale follows (can't empahsize enough how reading this may induce vomiting):

Pregnant woman in Obs for some pelvic pain, had some incredibly thick, greenish discharge. Like the clear plastic speculum looked like it was dipped in a can of primer after.
Of course it's + for GC, CT, BVag, AND Trich. But that's pretty routine by now.

What got me was when I went to talk to the patient after the results posted and walked in on the BF going down on her.

HIS BEARD LOOKED LIKE HE FELL INTO A TUB OF COTTAGE CHEESE

Ptosis is probably what you're thinking of.

What the gently caress man?? That can't be real who does that especially at a medical office?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
With expressive aphasia, does one typically lose the ability for both oral and written communication? Would a character who has lost the ability to speak (but not write) as a result of a brain injury be too implausible?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Brain injuries are weird. I've heard of a case where, after a head-injury, a woman lost the ability to speak her native language, but not Spanish, which she'd picked up in college. (Could be made up, haven't bothered to Snopes.)

So, no. In fact, Apraxia of speech is a thing. The problem isn't that you don't understand how to put words together into sentences, it's that your brain can't figure out how to move your mouth/vocal cords to make the sounds that you want to. You can generally re-learn speech, but it's a difficult process, and this part could be handwaved away as part of the story.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
On a scale of Columbus Day to Christmas, how common is getting a holiday on Presidents Day vs. having to go to work?

Golbez posted:

That map confuses me - how could there be so many more people in southwest Florida than the rest of the state? Or, wait... I guess that could be the old borders of Monroe County, and people were in the Keys? (Monroe County is an interesting anomaly - 95% of the land is on the continent, but at present, only like 30 people live there. 99.9% of the people in the county live in the Keys)

Edit: and hah, good job with the rest of that post. :)

I wondered about that too, being a Florida native. I've forgotten most of the details of that period of Florida history, but it is surprising that there's no other blips in the entire state other than Escambia County (and that might just be a compression artifact). It also surprised me that Charleston was so much bigger than Atlanta at the time.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anyone know a good place to pick up Safety Glasses that look like regular glasses, and aren't stupid in price? I want to wear Safety Glasses at work, but don't want to walk around looking like a moron in thick, goofy goggles or crap like that. Been looking over Amazon, but don't see anything that screams regular looking glasses to me.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Like such? That's really about as good as you're going to do.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

NitroSpazzz posted:

I once lived in an airstream trailer parked less than a mile from a major railroad area (300 trains came through every day!). It never not even once woke me up or bothered me or even registered in my brain.

Question- How do dentures work? I mean, what if you have some teeth left? Do you have to get them all removed to get dentures? I just heard a dentures commercial on the radio and it got me wondering.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Golbez posted:

The thirteen colonies extended :words:
:stare: Between this amazing reply and Noni's recent incredible exposition on the history of brick walls in comedy I'm overwhelmed with the unexpected and fascinating knowledge I'm gleaning from this "Stupid/Small Questions" thread. No joke; this poo poo is mint. Thanks!

My question: how is it that India influenced the cuisine of Uganda? They do samosas and chapati and even call them as such, but then combine them with a cardamom-spiced versions of what could easily be mistaken for southern US comfort food (beans, rice, spinach with meat seasoning, beef stews, etc.) Was there some kind of colonial influence or other contact that facilitated this? It just seems so far away geographically (and culturally) but then you have this.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Why do 8oz beers exist? I found a case of 24 mini bud lights at farm fresh and can't for the life of me think of who would buy it.

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011
Why do goons not like Ron Paul?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well, he's a white supremacist for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Wraithson posted:

Why do goons not like Ron Paul?

His fiscal policies are laughably bad. His social policies will put the population at large at the mercy of powerful corporations. (Hint: They have no mercy.)

Personally, I think Libertarianism is the least morally-defensible political ideology. It's basically attempting to run a country on gently caress-you-got-mine.