Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

AlphaDog posted:

Also, in that same book (spoilers for Thief Of Time, Night Watch, and Wyrd Sisters) the Glass Clock utterly shatters history and it gets glued back together in a sort of "yeah, that's as good as we're going to get it" way. That's also the reason behind the events in Night Watch - the Glass Clock loving up history threw Vimes back in time (because he was falling through the Library at the time?) and the History Monks couldn't fix it on their own, since Carcer was there loving poo poo up too. This may mean that many main plotlines before/since then only happend because history got broken and people ended up in the wrong place. I don't imagine Granny shifting all of Lancre 16 or so years forward helped much, either.

Granny meeting Lu Tze would be pretty aweome, they're similar in many ways.

Of course, but there are some things would be definable though the age of the players.
Some...and even then, it would get shaky. Honestly, the shattering of time is by far and away the best ever 'excuse' not to have to stick to a timeline ever.

For example: Tiffany could technically fit almost anywhere in the overall witch storyline. Except for a couple of casual references to Queen Magrat and I think even Agnes Nitt...Possibly the (Lack of) existence of You. Therefore placing her somewhere past Maskerade

Kaskadan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I just got Snuff, and for some reason in my copy instead of Willikins there's Sergeant Jack Jackrum instead. Should I take it back and complain?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Frankly, I'd read the hell out of a book with a Jackrum/Vimes teamup.

e: wait I'm dumb, is that a joke about Wilikin's characterization? :saddowns:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

jfjnpxmy posted:

I just got Snuff, and for some reason in my copy instead of Willikins there's Sergeant Jack Jackrum instead. Should I take it back and complain?

You seriously need to explain this.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
He's clearly making a joke about the characterization, dudes.

I hope no one seriously took it literally and thought someone copypasted names throughout an entire novel...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I didn't realize people were that annoyed about Willikins.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
His characterization isn't even especially different from the other books; he's just got a bigger part and his relationship with Vimes has grown since the last time he had a really big part in the story (Jingo, I think).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another question!

"This offended Vimes to his shakily egalitarian core. He said, ‘I know your station, Willikins, and it’s about the same station as mine when the chips are down and the wounds have healed.’"

We don't quite get the 'wounds' bit. Any ideas?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any Discworld books that focus on the thieves guild or assassins guild?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
The closest to focusing on either is in Pyramids, which starts with Pteppic as a student at the Assassin's Guild before going on to Djelibeybi. I'm honestly embarrassed at how long it took me to get the Djelibeybi joke, but to be honest I never listened to the audio books or tried saying the word out loud.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

Another question!

"This offended Vimes to his shakily egalitarian core. He said, ‘I know your station, Willikins, and it’s about the same station as mine when the chips are down and the wounds have healed.’"

We don't quite get the 'wounds' bit. Any ideas?

I think it's a figure of speech, not a reference to actual wounds.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are there any Discworld books that focus on the thieves guild or assassins guild?

Not really, although the assassins play a central part in Men At Arms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

The closest to focusing on either is in Pyramids, which starts with Pteppic as a student at the Assassin's Guild before going on to Djelibeybi. I'm honestly embarrassed at how long it took me to get the Djelibeybi joke, but to be honest I never listened to the audio books or tried saying the word out loud.

I thought it was made fairly obvious by it being translated as "child of the Djel".

Night Watch also has a bit about the Assassins Guild. The closest we ever get to seeing the Thieves Guild is in Thief of Time, I think.

To make up for the lack of Assassins in the books, here is a picture of my wallet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
What about the "Diaries" ? Don't they have anecdotes about the various guilds they represent?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister Roboto posted:

What about the "Diaries" ? Don't they have anecdotes about the various guilds they represent?

God I wish I had the money to track some of those down. I got the Fools Guild one and the Black Ribboners one.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

If you're American, there's a good chance it doesn't mean anything anyway, since jelly babies aren't really a thing here.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I don't care what any of you say, another book with Jackrum in it would be pretty awesome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're American, there's a good chance it doesn't mean anything anyway, since jelly babies aren't really a thing here.

One of Djelibeybi's near neighbours is Hersheba. It's an equal opportunities joke.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Jedit posted:

One of Djelibeybi's near neighbours is Hersheba. It's an equal opportunities joke.

Oh MOTHERFUCKER. Never got the Hersheba joke before.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Jedit posted:

Hersheba. It's an equal opportunities joke.

Oh Jesus Christ, really? How many books has that been mentioned in that I've never caught it? I'm most of the way through Jingo again, and I'm sure it's been in there.

I was sitting here thinking "How do you not get jellybaby?"

^^ What up buddy? ^^

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Someone's going to have to explain "Hersheba" to me. I didn't get "djelibeybi" until just now when Dead Alice gave it away; thus is the downside of living in America where they're shaped like bears.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it's Hersheba = Hershey bar?

Djelibeybi took me a while the first time too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I think it's Hersheba = Hershey bar?

Got it in one, Yggi.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like a complete loving retard. I've been reading these books for 12 years, goddamnit.

Oh and if we're taking a poll for ressurecting characters, Susan and Lobsang, please!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh god, Hersheba. gently caress, I'm dumb.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

His characterization isn't even especially different from the other books; he's just got a bigger part and his relationship with Vimes has grown since the last time he had a really big part in the story (Jingo, I think).

His characterization is enormously different. In every other book he seemed deeply reticent about his thuggish upbringing and immediately switched it off whenever Vimes was in earshot. That led to the priceless scene in Jingo where he kept swapping between snarling army sergeant and impeccably polite butler in an attempt to match two sets of expectations at once. And in Thud!, after the ice knife incident, he was nearly pleading for Vimes to believe that his fatal stabbing of the dark guards was just the result of unfortunate circumstances. In Snuff, he swaggers around with his hoodlum side on his sleeve, to the point where it eclipses his entire personality. It's incredibly jarring, and gets downright galling when Pratchett uses him to re-enact, almost line for line, the final confrontation between Pepe and Andy Shank.

I know that Pratchett's condition is probably forcing him to take a few shortcuts in terms of plotting and characterization to get his stories out, but really, that just makes it even more depressing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

His characterization is enormously different. In every other book he seemed deeply reticent about his thuggish upbringing and immediately switched it off whenever Vimes was in earshot. That led to the priceless scene in Jingo where he kept swapping between snarling army sergeant and impeccably polite butler in an attempt to match two sets of expectations at once. And in Thud!, after the ice knife incident, he was nearly pleading for Vimes to believe that his fatal stabbing of the dark guards was just the result of unfortunate circumstances. In Snuff, he swaggers around with his hoodlum side on his sleeve, to the point where it eclipses his entire personality. It's incredibly jarring, and gets downright galling when Pratchett uses him to re-enact, almost line for line, the final confrontation between Pepe and Andy Shank.

Your argument seems to be simply that he's the same except that he no longer feels the need to keep up appearances around Vimes. gently caress, are two characters not allowed to have their relationship evolve a little?

Oxxidation posted:

I know that Pratchett's condition is probably forcing him to take a few shortcuts in terms of plotting and characterization to get his stories out, but really, that just makes it even more depressing.

Don't do this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Your argument seems to be simply that he's the same except that he no longer feels the need to keep up appearances around Vimes. gently caress, are two characters not allowed to have their relationship evolve a little?

Exactly. Vimes is all "...but you, you went to the Shamlegger school of butlering!" at one point, I think in Thud. They have a non-gentleman's understanding that appearances must be kept up around the nobs, but around each other they don't have to have the perfect lord/butler relationship, since they would probably have been childhood friends if they weren't in different gangs.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Oxxidation's right though. Willikins changed, and not for the better, and its depressing as its hard not to assume its due to his illness.

Also Hersheba :doh: in my defence though I don't think they're very common in the UK!

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Hasn't a few years passed between Thud! and Snuff? I don't know if they ever give young Sam an exact age but it seemed to be implied that a decent amount of time had passed between the two books. In Thud! Vimes seems to acknowledge Willikins past and true nature occasionally, but generally not pressing him on it. They also seemed to have a degree of friendship between them. It makes sense that after a few years of close contact the friendship would grow and they would be perfectly comftorable being more open with one another about something like that, especially as has been said, since its a huge common ground for the two of them. I guess it's a change but it's also a very reasonable and organic one.

As far as attributing it to Pratchett and his illness, I think it's ridiculous to assume we can tell what changes in the books might be from his shortened time, versus what he was always intending to do. He could have never been diagnosed and written Snuff in the exact same way. Unless there's an interview stating otherwise it seems a bit presumptuous to assume we know why he wrote anything the way he did.

or to summarize...

DontMockMySmock posted:

Don't do this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I figured it was a combination of the years they've now spent together, the multiple times they've been in a fight against assassins and such together and the fact that he's been looking after young Sam in more of an uncle type role than purely a butler and Sybil and Vimes consider him part of the family. Obviously it was a change but no more so than the changes multiple other characters have gone through between books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Shortcuts, right. I heard the opening of Snuff 15 months before it was published.

The only thing I'll say about whether Pterry's condition affected the writing of Snuff is that it's the first "main series" Discworld novel not to feature at least a cameo from Death.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly, and I said this earlier in the thread, I think the issue is that his editors aren't being as strict and thorough as they once were. Their job is to catch the minor mistakes, continuity errors and sections that need tightening up.

All of those were present in Snuff (and UA and Midnight to some degree). Some cutting of the overly-long speeches, some shaving down of the rougher plot points (i.e the dark), and catching the minor Discworld mythology errors that are jarring for long term fans.

I honestly think his editors just don't have it in them to be as cruel anymore to Pratchett. He is a good, honorable man suffering from disease. Could YOU bring yourself to be as strict and brutal to your sick friend and coworker of 20+ years doing what he loves to do?

It'd just be too heartless.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 17, 2012

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'd rather they were stricter to him than his work suffers from problems they can prevent, and I think the Terry from before he was diagnosed would want that too.

Honestly if he had never gone public with this diagnosis I wonder if we'd notice any change in his writing or not. The editing, yes, definitely, but his writing?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Pratchett doesn't need the money anymore. I assume that from his fame, knighthood, obvious profits and recent donations to charities.

So he's doing this not just because of the money, but because of his love for his world.

I don't think his friends and partners of 20 years, seeing their respected comrade degrading, have it in them to be as harsh on a man just doing what he loves to do in the declining years of his life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I'd rather they were stricter to him than his work suffers from problems they can prevent, and I think the Terry from before he was diagnosed would want that too.

Honestly if he had never gone public with this diagnosis I wonder if we'd notice any change in his writing or not. The editing, yes, definitely, but his writing?

Snuff's writing quality fell off a loving cliff, even compared to very recent works like UA. Characters shout and monologue so often they sometimes sound like they strode out of an Ayn Rand novel. Personalities are reduced to caricatures, wit Sybil and Willikins taking it especially hard. Time and place are often murky, which is really unusual, since Pratchett's always been fantastic at establishing setting. He spends half the book casting around for a plot, seizes one for maybe fifty pages when Vimes first reaches the goblin settlement (incidentally the only part when the book regains the lovely brisk pace that all Watch books share), and, again, the resolution for the villain is a nearly note-for-note copy of what happened in UA. It's not just a matter of excess language or dialogue or anything like that. It feels like someone straining to capture the style of Discworld and never quite getting a grip on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Snuff's writing quality fell off a loving cliff, even compared to very recent works like UA. Characters shout and monologue so often they sometimes sound like they strode out of an Ayn Rand novel.

Get out sir. You have just crossed a line.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get out sir. You have just crossed a line.

He's right though. I mean even this sentence posted earlier:

quote:

Does that really read like Pratchett?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AXE COP posted:

He's right though.

Being right doesn't excuse comparing a dying mans writing style to that reptillian thing and her nonsense. He could have said the writing style has just degraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Being right doesn't excuse comparing a dying mans writing style to that reptillian thing and her nonsense. He could have said the writing style has just degraded.

A painfully apt analogy is still an apt analogy. I don't like making it any more than you like hearing it.