Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I think there's a variable in the .ini tweak post that forces RAM purge after a certain point but can't confirm if it works anymore. In other words you are literally running out of memory.

GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb=2.2

Also 3rding or w/e that you need a quad core to fit recommended requirements. A dual core is only minimum. APB won't use more than two cores, but it will use two full cores of whatever you have. On my Phenom II x4 965 Black APB will use two full cores to itself (I'm CPU bound) and the other two are used by background processes.

Running on a dual core (especially AMD) is certainly bottlenecking you in the general FPS area. Sound/FPS stuttering when you load new areas/drive fast is a HD/RAM bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Man, I tried this out tonight for the first time. It might be pretty fun if 80% of the missions didn't devolve into getting massively shat upon by people with guns so much better it's not even worth trying. Unfortunately it seems that 80% of the missions devolve into getting massively shat upon by people with guns so much better it's not even worth trying. Maybe if at some point in the future it moves beyond that it might be worth playing, but I'm guessing the people with the guns are the people giving money to developers so I'm not loving counting on it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Mr. Peepers posted:

Man, I tried this out tonight for the first time. It might be pretty fun if 80% of the missions didn't devolve into getting massively shat upon by people with guns so much better it's not even worth trying. Unfortunately it seems that 80% of the missions devolve into getting massively shat upon by people with guns so much better it's not even worth trying. Maybe if at some point in the future it moves beyond that it might be worth playing, but I'm guessing the people with the guns are the people giving money to developers so I'm not loving counting on it.

If I play a player slightly less skilled than me with a Colby shotgun, whisper or any other paid gun, I will consistently beat them with the stock star.

It's easy to blame weapons on losing, but in reality they don't make that much difference.

There's also the fact that a lot of the paid versions of guns are just worse than a slotted one most of the time.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm pretty sure when all 3 players on the other team can one-shot me with a rocket launcher it makes a difference.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
You specifically mentioned paid guns, which the osmaw is not. The osmaw also doesn't come out -that- often and even then it's not even that hard to counter.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Being matched up against 3 people who can all easily one-shot you doesn't happen -that- often so it's not even worth complaining about! :downs:

The fact that it occurs at all (people with the best guns being matched against people who literally just started playing) is a huge loving failure in game design.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Must be you then. I haven't had problems with osmaws since I was starting out in beta.

I'd suggest watching some streams of gold players sometime and pick up some tactics instead of making sweeping generalizations and whining on forums v :) v

protip, get good with concussion grenades and they can't drive ontop of you.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
90% of us who are on teamspeak regularly are Gold 195's, So if you want to be grouped with good players and learn tactics come play with us on TS.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Look what you goons have done.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

Being matched up against 3 people who can all easily one-shot you doesn't happen -that- often so it's not even worth complaining about! :downs:

The fact that it occurs at all (people with the best guns being matched against people who literally just started playing) is a huge loving failure in game design.

It's not like most competitive online shooters ever match people who have just started playing against seasoned veterans with 1000 hours of gameplay! Nope!

I see your point in it being worse in this game than in others, but yeah.. It's just a thing that happens. It's down to luck mainly. If your threat is green or bronze then stick to districts of your own threat and you won't get shat on as much as if you play in silver districts.

Also am I the only person who thinks the OSMAW is actually underpowered? It can only 1-shot a person if it hits them directly, or within 1.6m of them (which is nothing in this game).. The PGL on the other hand can 1-shot anyone within 3m of the grenade. How can a big gently caress-off rocket be less threatening than a little grenade? They should bring the kill radius up to 4m at LEAST, come on now.. After all, the OSMAW already has the massive downsides of having to reload after every shot, only having 2 rockets and forcing you to move very slowly. I love that weapon, but the minuscule kill radius is just silly.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Cabbit - APB doesn't tend to give a poo poo about what kind of graphics card you have. It wants your processor and RAM's soul though so that's your hangup. Sorry bro.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Secret Sweater posted:

If I play a player slightly less skilled than me with a Colby shotgun, whisper or any other paid gun, I will consistently beat them with the stock star.

It's easy to blame weapons on losing, but in reality they don't make that much difference.

There's also the fact that a lot of the paid versions of guns are just worse than a slotted one most of the time.

Whisper is a prime example since its one gimmick is stealth. Out of the surprise factor it's just an OCA with RS3 and less recoil.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Meis posted:

Also am I the only person who thinks the OSMAW is actually underpowered? It can only 1-shot a person if it hits them directly, or within 1.6m of them (which is nothing in this game)..

The OSMAW used to be the endgame of APB in RTW and early G1 versions. If I recall correctly, it had a huge lethal radius, it actually had zero (Or at least negligible) preperation time, and the rocket may have moved faster. The best tactic in these versions was to get a fast car like a Cisco or Bishada, prep the rocket launcher, get in, drive up to your enemy, and rocket them at nearly point blank. Guaranteed murder in absolutely no time.

Nowadays the OSMAW is a complete joke of a weapon. It's the funniest gun in the game by far and one of the most satisfying to get kills with next to the OPGL, but if you're using it seriously then you're going to be struggling because it's incredibly situational. It's only good for vehicle delivery missions when you can easily deny your enemy the objective by popping them over and over, by the time the vehicle respawns and their team reaches it to get it to the objective you'll have enough of a grace period to reload and resupply.

The OPGL deserves its lethality because it requires a certain degree of skill and finesse to fire. It used to be that grenades exploded on impact no matter where you shot them from, making it absurdly unfair, but now the fuse is long enough that if you haven't given them enough travel time it's very easy to avoid. A good OPGL user will wreck your poo poo and long and medium ranges, but up close they'll really have to rely on their sidearm unless they're incredibly good at banking shots.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Like the OP said: You will be humiliated. There are people like me who have been playing this game for unhealthy amounts of time who are still constantly getting our poo poo wrecked, only to turn around and wreck the next group's poo poo, and the best advice that I can give to you is:

1) Play in a group

and two

2) Be on voicechat, even if you don't speak

For all of the unfair matching and meatgrinder guns that winds up putting the bullet in player interest, a lot of winning this game is about taking advantage of positioning, knowing where your enemy is at all times, and being aware of and knowing how to deal with any lovely little exploits. It might seems that you're underarmed and undersupplied to begin with, but the basic STAR is one of the best guns in the game for all distances. There's a lot of "It's not what you have, it's how you use it" in this game.

If you really want to see the game in its best light, take up the goons offer of rolling with some of their better players and seeing what they do. Don't feel bad about getting shut down so much, I've had players who started off neophyte, stuck with it and now can wreck shop on a pretty regular basis.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Is anyone available to re-invite Kabuki to something lawful? :ohdear:

I miss raging about this game with you guys :3:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Sharkelberry posted:

Is anyone available to re-invite Kabuki to something lawful? :ohdear:

I miss raging about this game with you guys :3:

NO > : (

(Get on and I'll re-invite ya)

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Songbearer posted:

The OSMAW used to be the endgame of APB in RTW and early G1 versions. If I recall correctly, it had a huge lethal radius, it actually had zero (Or at least negligible) preperation time, and the rocket may have moved faster.

I feel I should mention that the rocket launcher didn't 1-shot the vast majority of the population of the RTW version because of monolith 3 giving 30% health. I've always felt the current version should do conc nade damage to match this.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

I feel I should mention that the rocket launcher didn't 1-shot the vast majority of the population of the RTW version because of monolith 3 giving 30% health. I've always felt the current version should do conc nade damage to match this.

If somebody doesn't want to get killed by an osmaw in one hit, they can just stick kevlar 1 on and bam- it can't 1-shot them.

Edit: http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/256555-get-40-off-armas-items-this-weekend-only/

Meis' wallet posted:

Oh god please no! Not that!! Please!!!

SniperX
Feb 10, 2011

oh god........ my paypal monies........ all my paypal monies.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Meis posted:

If somebody doesn't want to get killed by an osmaw in one hit, they can just stick kevlar 1 on and bam- it can't 1-shot them.

Edit: http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/256555-get-40-off-armas-items-this-weekend-only/

Too bad kevlar is mostly poo poo and limits your weapon selection that you can use effectively as clotting agent.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

QQmore posted:

NO > : (

(Get on and I'll re-invite ya)

I probably shouldn't have posted the request at 7am :downs:

I'm on now though.

So what is the new hotness in broken weaponry these days? I hear pink tommy guns are all the rage. It's been quite a while since I have played so I'm not too sure what to be on the lookout for.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sharkelberry posted:

So what is the new hotness in broken weaponry these days? I hear pink tommy guns are all the rage. It's been quite a while since I have played so I'm not too sure what to be on the lookout for.

CSG, Tommy Gun + knowing how to handle the recoil, HVR Scout, Obeya CR72, OCA with CJ3, JG with CJ3, and the Joker which wasn't hit that badly by that poor attempt at working against rapid fire sniping at all.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Songbearer posted:

If you really want to see the game in its best light, take up the goons offer of rolling with some of their better players and seeing what they do. Don't feel bad about getting shut down so much, I've had players who started off neophyte, stuck with it and now can wreck shop on a pretty regular basis.

Thanks, I've realized my mistake now. I was expecting balanced matches against equal opponents, when in the reality the only two options are to get crushed by much better players or to get carried by much better players.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mr. Peepers posted:

to get crushed by much better players or to get carried by much better players until I start to turn into one myself.

You weren't far off the mark :v: I don't know why you'd be against having experienced players helping you learn how to better yourself but alright.

Cronyx
Apr 23, 2011
I'm havin this graphics issue that I actually at first thought was an exploit; like one third of all players are varying degrees of invisible. I thought someone had figured out the RGB value for the alpha channel (or something, I don't photoshop) and just pasted that all over themselves, but a bit of googling seems to suggest that it's been an issue since the RTW days. Really frustrating to get killed by someone you didn't see because all they are is a floating utility belt and shoes. Also some other players don't seem to be loading their texture map, and are pure white, which makes them Bloom Suns Oh God My Eyes.

Oh yeah, I already turned MXAA off. It helped the green outline at distance, but not this problem.

Specs:

EVGA e762 4way SLI CLASSIFIED motherboard
XFX 6990
i7 950
6 gigs ram
Windows 7 Pro x64

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Thanks, I've realized my mistake now. I was expecting balanced matches against equal opponents, when in the reality the only two options are to get crushed by much better players or to get carried by much better players.

If you solo you will get annihilated most of the time unless you're lucky in your opposition and who you are paired with. If you're not grouping with goons, especially as a bronze you're going to get paired with pubbies. A recipe for disaster and tears. We may not always be MLG material but we usually try to communicate and work together. (When I'm not being :downs: about trying to flank opponents on my own of course)

This game is not fair. The sooner you accept that and just start playing giving no fucks the better. If you get frustrated take a break or go to social to work on symbols/themes and the like. And get on TS, that's a major reason why most of us have stuck together this long.

This game! :argh:

Yuki-San
Aug 1, 2010
Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level and will I get banned for being an unfunny gimmick if the answer is a resounding "NO!"
Any Colby clans roaming about? Didn't see any on the original post, thought I'd ask anyway.

bakageta
Apr 30, 2011

less than three posted:

GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb=2.2

Also 3rding or w/e that you need a quad core to fit recommended requirements. A dual core is only minimum. APB won't use more than two cores, but it will use two full cores of whatever you have. On my Phenom II x4 965 Black APB will use two full cores to itself (I'm CPU bound) and the other two are used by background processes.

Running on a dual core (especially AMD) is certainly bottlenecking you in the general FPS area. Sound/FPS stuttering when you load new areas/drive fast is a HD/RAM bottleneck.

Possibly an AMD bug? APB has no problem using 60-70% cpu on my i5-750 @ 4ghz, and it's spread evenly between all 4 cores as you'd expect.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Yuki-San posted:

Any Colby clans roaming about? Didn't see any on the original post, thought I'd ask anyway.

Only like everyone of us play regularly on west so no goon clan. I solar lot tho so feel free to friend squid lips to group.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

Mr. Peepers posted:

No but seriously you're pretty much correct and it's a little irritating that they can't manage a good matchmaking system with the revenue stream they're pulling in. Instead we get weapon skins, that we will probably have to pay for. I know people are trying to dispell the idea that getting stomped is somehow something you can change easily. Unless you're at a level you can unlock mods, are willing to pay out of pocket for weapons, or want to put in the time to learn a playstyle that works then you're hosed.

I would say that watching a stream of a good player is the least you can do. Wish there was more I could tell you to do but I've dropped money and time into this game and still get repeatedly stomped on because I can't combat some of the playstyles that are in fashion.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
I dunno man. A few months ago I hopped out of the respawn queuing with Secret Sweater and he told me to grab and OCA and go to town. Got respectable positive ratios right outa newbie island and pretty much stomped until I stopped playing. I'm nothing special at FPS games, so it's really just knowing the map. Walking around and shooting people in their spinacular is pretty OP.

err I guess the point is, play with goons.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

bakageta posted:

Possibly an AMD bug? APB has no problem using 60-70% cpu on my i5-750 @ 4ghz, and it's spread evenly between all 4 cores as you'd expect.

I think that's something else in his system, APB uses all cores on my AMD Phenom II X4 965, spread evenly.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Trapped a pubbie in the door with my truck.

It's good to be back. :allears:

Also I have a bunch of patterns and stuff. If anyone wants whatever is on my character I will send you a copy, just send my an email in game: Kabuki

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Welcome back Kabuki

Cronyx
Apr 23, 2011

What do you guys think? First try at the SA grenade.

Made these layers to go with it.

I've got them all together and in individual pieces so you can layer them and make them different colors.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cronyx/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=app_113400
Here's the gallery so you can see how terrible they look plastered all over cars like stickers on a trapper keeper. (Don't have many screen shots up yet in that gallery, but will by day's end)

If anyone wants them, I'd be happy to copy and distribute with full modification rights. (That's something I can set right? New to this. Played in the RTW days, but never gave out anything I made.)

EDIT: Yeah I know Kabuki already made a grenade (Your's is great bro!), but I didn't when I made mine :P (Also this was kind of a refresher course, hadn't made anything since RTW and didn't feel inspired to make anything else just yet)

Cronyx fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 18, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Here's how to get a grenade stuck and ticking away inside of you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFFUKZG2qyg

Holy poo poo, the suicide bombing that awaits.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I made a new car :3:

Big version. One slot car with nitro. I will tame the Moirai :colbert:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I will tame the Moirai :colbert:

I wish you the best of luck, that thing handles like a forklift. Your paint job is gorgeous though!

mpyro posted:

Welcome back Kabuki

Thanks!

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 19, 2012

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
I forgot I never posted this.

Video from the Massively stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_WFKHb_iM

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I made a thing.

I wanted a make a new car despite that I love the Packer Vanquero. So, for the fun of it, I made a Homestar Runner Vegas G20!

Making Homestar's head was my first real attempt at making something decent in the symbol designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Edward_Lapine posted:

I made a thing.

I wanted a make a new car despite that I love the Packer Vanquero. So, for the fun of it, I made a Homestar Runner Vegas G20!

Making Homestar's head was my first real attempt at making something decent in the symbol designer.

Dude, that's awesome as hell. The only thing I'll have to mention is that as much as that Vegas looks like Homestar, it'll handle like Homsar :v:

Naturally you're going to have to make a Strong Bad Patriot T-25 and Cheat Cisco too :3:

• Locked thread