Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

!amicable posted:

Here's a dude that I did with leviathan purple washes and highlighting with some sort of light green.

He did well to defeat that giant dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Flipswitch posted:

This game owns, that's all I'm going to say, splatting a Warcaster is awesome.

Going to be picking up the Menoth starterbox this weekend and paint that up ASAP before I expand my force, is it worth me picking up the Menoth army book at all?

I think it's worth it so you can look at exactly what (almost) everything does before you buy any more models. Plus if you're a fan of the fluff there's some fluffiness there, and some painting tips which are good if you're a useless painter like myself.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Hal Gill username posted:

I think it's worth it so you can look at exactly what (almost) everything does before you buy any more models. Plus if you're a fan of the fluff there's some fluffiness there, and some painting tips which are good if you're a useless painter like myself.

Yeah the army book is good since you can pick a theme for your army that you like or whatever which will be important for you to stay interested and "own" your force. It will also let you see what level of badassery each Warcaster is at, or in the case of Menoth who is the biggest Eastern Bloc religious sectarian war criminal. Each caster has a theme list too, but a lot of them need to be at higher points of gimp you out of character jacks/solos so often generic is better. You can still have a strong theme and cool vibe with a generic force though!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

or in the case of Menoth who is the biggest Eastern Bloc religious sectarian war criminal.
:laffo:

Sweet, cheers guys. I plan to have another game Sunday morning with Everblight but I did really like playing Menoth earlier today, so I can see myself picking up the Menoth starter regardless. I'll get the book at a later date once I've sorted out the starter box minis to be honest. :) I'm still getting my head around the core mechanics and how the game actually functions, so is off the books for me so far. From this thread and the dudes at my LGS I've had nothing but encouragement for the battleboxes so that's happy days for the time being. The game seems crazy good fun.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 17, 2012

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Flipswitch posted:

:laffo:

Sweet, cheers guys. I plan to have another game Sunday morning with Everblight but I did really like playing Menoth earlier today, so I can see myself picking up the Menoth starter regardless. I'll get the book at a later date once I've sorted out the starter box minis to be honest. :) I'm still getting my head around the core mechanics and how the game actually functions, so is off the books for me so far. From this thread and the dudes at my LGS I've had nothing but encouragement for the battleboxes so that's happy days for the time being. The game seems crazy good fun.

If you can find someone to split the Two-Player box with and take the Khador half, the pKreoss/Repenter/Crusader/Vanquisher battlebox is way cooler, and free cinerators I suppose... for all those vindictus and t4 eSev lists I guess?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No idea what the last part of that post means but I have got a mate who is interested in Khador so that may work out, will give him a shout. Are they just two battleboxes or are the minis different?

E: Holy poo poo its the shoulderpad dudes.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 17, 2012

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Korwen posted:

If you can find someone to split the Two-Player box with and take the Khador half, the pKreoss/Repenter/Crusader/Vanquisher battlebox is way cooler, and free cinerators I suppose... for all those vindictus and t4 eSev lists I guess?

The Cinerators look awesome and would be fun to paint for a collection at the very least. I'm always tempted to buy a battlebox because of the value but it would be retarded of me to buy units for two new armies when I struggle to paint my trolls as it is.

Flipswitch posted:

No idea what the last part of that post means but I have got a mate who is interested in Khador so that may work out, will give him a shout. Are they just two battleboxes or are the minis different?

You get a unit as well. It's way better value. He's saying that if you take particular lists the Cinerators grant you a bonus. Those are the theme forces I was talking about. Most aren't popular though because they limit your choices for what you can take and the deployment/cost/advantage bonuses that selecting particular dudes grants aren't always amazing. There are however a few theme forces that own. No idea what the good Menoth ones are though.

e: I think the included Jacks are different to the normal boxes but I can't be bothered checking :v:

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 17, 2012

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
I managed to pick up an issue of NQ #14, 15 and 16 and I'm going to be sending away for the alt Eiryss soon. I'd like to get eEiryss and put the sculpt on her base but it looks like it might be connected to the model. For anyone that has it, does it look like a simple dremel job to cut her off and sand the base down smooth?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

With the two-player starters they're doing a deal at Firestorm Games that comes with both factions Token Sets, 50 clear sleeves for the cards and two sets of resin bases, one for each faction. That is pretty cool so will check that out with my buddy this weekend, sounds like an ideal entry into the game.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Oh also I sometimes have to spend 10-15 minutes waiting for things to happen at work so I drew you a present

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My Trollblood post of the day:

COME AT ME, BRO:

I need to re-wash these for the sausages.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Re: Khador and Cygnar runes

The Khadoran and Cygnaran alphabets are extremely similar, I am guessing because of their close proximity to each other. Cygnar sits on Khadoran ancestral land.

I found a zip file of the 4 faction's runes in TTF Format: http://serpent-six.brushthralls.com/fonts/FactionFonts.zip

I also found this IK Circular Rune Generator which makes those round rune displays similar to what's in the Warmachine Prime II book. It's pretty neat. http://www.steamdogs.org/ikrunegen/runecircle.php

I am considering printing these out on some of the Testor's decal paper and trying to decorate my Khadoran army that way.

I dislike Cygnar for fluff reasons more than anything else.

Cygnar and Khador teamed up to repel the Orgoth. When Cygnar started building Colossals, the Rulic dwarves -- who made them first -- did not want to share the technology with the Khadorans under ANY circumstances. When the Khadorans managed to get the technology, the Cygnar tipped the Orgoth out about it, bringing death and destruction on a huge scale to Khador, while Cygnar ignored everything and finished their giant robots with no rush while the Khador were all tied up.

They have this whole "we're the GOOD GUYS" thing going on, and really they're a bunch of devious jerks.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 17, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Verdugo posted:

They have this whole "we're the GOOD GUYS" thing going on, and really they're a bunch of devious jerks.

Their wounded are delicious. :hoarluk:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Exmond posted:

Thanks for the advice! I followed your advice (save for the purple) and am having problems with the skin. This is what I have so far:

Any advice on how to do the skin? I don't want it to look black/grey all over.

Wash that poo poo red.

(cellphone pic is lovely)

Finished this guy up today. First time I've tried washing metal like this.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Re: Khador and Cygnar runes

The Khadoran and Cygnaran alphabets are extremely similar, I am guessing because of their close proximity to each other. Cygnar sits on Khadoran ancestral land.

/splurg

The reason they've got similar alphabets is because they're both using the same source Magic. Specifically, the gift of Sorcery given by Thamar during the Orgoth wars. In the backstory it's called Mordith or something and it was made by some ancient race of blood sacrificing dudes. Thamar and one of her Scion's both learnt it and used it to become effectively gods. In D&D terms, it's Arcane Magic.

Menoth, on the other hand, use Divine Menoth Cheats magic whilst Cryx use old Orgoth magic (I think) and both have different rune languages as a result. Same with the Elves probably

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Man I can't wait for the new IK RPG books to come out. Need more Warmachine fluff!

Finally got the bitz in I needed to finish up Drago. I didn't like his skull necklace or hand bits, so I got some chaos spikes to change things up a little. And part of an Ork helmet for the spike on his head.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2012

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Man I can't wait for the new IK RPG books to come out. Need more Warmachine fluff!

Yeah, the setting is very good and does a nice job at breaking a lot of Fantasy tropes. The original IK RPG was let down by the fact it was D&D, with all the assorted baggage that brings, some of which is quite funny if you've played Warmachine (for instance Firearms were treated in a similar way to Crossbows and therefore are only useful in a small level bracket. Afterwards, they became hilariously ineffective). Hopefully the new system won't be like that.

EDIT: Does Drago have a Beard made out of Spikes!?

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 17, 2012

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I missed the Skorne chat from the first few pages (another Cygnar to Skorne convert!) and I wanted advice on infantry. It sounds like karax are not so hot, but what other units do people recommend and why?

Also Arcuarii look better than Cetrati in every way except for shield wall (and -1 ARM). Is there a reason not to get them?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chicken Slayer posted:

EDIT: Does Drago have a Beard made out of Spikes!?

Yes. Instead of using the skull necklace, I made him a skull chain and spike beard.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
So does anyone here play Farrow? Like, at all? I'm thinking of starting them to round out my minions force but I don't know which warlock I'd want to play first, I'm thinking Arkadius but Carver is just so quintessentially Farrow I might go with him anyways. They both very much seem like support casters but Arkadius has the more beast oriented play style that I love.

I'm just not looking forwards to playing a squishy caster, I'm a gator player damnit no caster should be under ARM 16 :ohdear:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gobbledygoat posted:

So does anyone here play Farrow? Like, at all? I'm thinking of starting them to round out my minions force but I don't know which warlock I'd want to play first, I'm thinking Arkadius but Carver is just so quintessentially Farrow I might go with him anyways. They both very much seem like support casters but Arkadius has the more beast oriented play style that I love.

I'm just not looking forwards to playing a squishy caster, I'm a gator player damnit no caster should be under ARM 16 :ohdear:

Carver is very good, and will be even better when the Road Hog finally comes out. Sturm and Strang is probably my favorite caster of theirs though, I think he's got some serious potential.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mt. ORourke posted:

I missed the Skorne chat from the first few pages (another Cygnar to Skorne convert!) and I wanted advice on infantry. It sounds like karax are not so hot, but what other units do people recommend and why?

Also Arcuarii look better than Cetrati in every way except for shield wall (and -1 ARM). Is there a reason not to get them?

I originally had the same thought when I first looked at the two. And yes, if you compare them back-to-back, in a pure offensive capacity, the Arcuarii appear to be the superior unit, at a cheaper price.

The thing is, only the Arcuarii is an offensive unit, and when it comes to offensive units, I find myself gravitating to either the Swordsmen, Nihilators, or Immortals, depending on what list I running. Light infantry gives me more bodies on the board, which means more will make it into combat through gunfire, more board coverage, and more enemies I can target. Arcuarii, on the other hand, have an unimpressive threat range, so they're not likely to get a first strike, and aren't durable enough to withstand a good charge or good gunfire. They're only real trick is their Drag, and that is extremely situational. And let's face it, if Skorne wants offensive heavy infantry, that's what the Gatormen Posse is for (especially since we have the Taskmaster).

Cetrati, however, are not only designed more for defense, they are the best defensive unit Skorne has, especially with access to Defender's Ward and Inviolable Resolve. I rarely field either of the Cataphracts anyways, because I rarely play those kinds of lists; but when I do, I always go for the Cetrati, while my Arcuarii tend to remain untouched in my case.

Conclusion: Arcuarii are not better than Cetrati, they are made for two different roles. As for whether or not you should get them, that depends on whether or not you prefer heavy infantry over light, and I would still recommend the Gatormen instead.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 17, 2012

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

S.J. posted:

Carver is very good, and will be even better when the Road Hog finally comes out. Sturm and Strang is probably my favorite caster of theirs though, I think he's got some serious potential.

Yeah, you're probably right, I think I'll just go with Carver first anyways. I'm excited to make my Road Hogs SPD 9 with pathfinder, then assault with a heavy flamethrower. :black101:

What are your experiences with Gun Boars? Are they worth the 5 points or would that be better spent on more War/Road Hogs or units?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gobbledygoat posted:

Yeah, you're probably right, I think I'll just go with Carver first anyways. I'm excited to make my Road Hogs SPD 9 with pathfinder, then assault with a heavy flamethrower. :black101:

What are your experiences with Gun Boars? Are they worth the 5 points or would that be better spent on more War/Road Hogs or units?

I actually don't play them myself, but a good friend does. Gun Boars are fine as a one of, and provide you with a necessary option against high DEF, low ARM infantry, especially stealth ones.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Carver is better for starting up Farrow as he's very straightforward and his tier list more or less builds itself. Arkadius has a way trickier playstyle and his War Hogs rely much more on the alpha strike because of the feat and the lack of Batten Down.

I like my Gunboar because he gives a solution to eEiryss among other things. I guess you could have a min unit of Brigands chase after her instead but hey, open fists!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Exmond posted:

Thanks for the advice! I followed your advice (save for the purple) and am having problems with the skin. This is what I have so far:

Any advice on how to do the skin? I don't want it to look black/grey all over.

:hellyeah: Lookin good so far man!

I can totally understand them not wanting to look completely gray. A brown wash will still give them a dirty look, you could also try a green wash to give their skin a rotting necrotic tinge. Don't go heavy on the green though, you don't want it pooling too much!

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

jhunter46 posted:

I managed to pick up an issue of NQ #14, 15 and 16 and I'm going to be sending away for the alt Eiryss soon. I'd like to get eEiryss and put the sculpt on her base but it looks like it might be connected to the model. For anyone that has it, does it look like a simple dremel job to cut her off and sand the base down smooth?

That would be difficult because her cloak hangs way down the pedestal in the back. If you chop her off it you will end up with one half of the base covered in cloak. You can sort of see it if you look at the pic in the bits store, though it doesn't actually show the back.

Here's a pic of converted eEiyriss that shows it:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey dudes, sorcha can do this right?

activate
charge a model across the table
do charge movement
feat
cast windrush
make windrush move
fail charge and end activation

e: nope, she cant

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 17, 2012

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

PaintVagrant posted:

activate
do charge movement
feat
cast windrush
make windrush move

No, she cannot. Pg. 79, 2nd Paragraph states "A model can cast spells at any time during its activation but cannot interrupt its movement or attack to cast a spell."
Then, Pg. 47 states "The charging model cannot voluntarily stop its movement until it's target is in it's melee range," followed a few paragraphs later by "If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends."

So, as soon as they charged and failed it, Sorcha's activation was immediately over.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tanon posted:

No, she cannot. Pg. 79, 2nd Paragraph states "A model can cast spells at any time during its activation but cannot interrupt its movement or attack to cast a spell."
Then, Pg. 47 states "The charging model cannot voluntarily stop its movement until it's target is in it's melee range," followed a few paragraphs later by "If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends."

So, as soon as they charged and failed it, Sorcha's activation was immediately over.

e: but yeah there is no charge target in melee. Hrm. Looks like you have to walk her.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 17, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

activate
do charge movement
feat
cast windrush
make windrush move

You can't pause your movement to do anything. Charging is a combination of movement and action. Declaring a charge, moving, and checking for engagement happens at the same time. If you end your charge without engaging your target, you have made a failed charge and your activation ends immediately.

Or that is how it was explained to me...

tl;dr: Only Cavalry can interrupt their movement to perform actions.

Also: efb.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PaintVagrant posted:

activate
do charge movement
feat
cast windrush
make windrush move

No. But she can:

acivate
wind rush
feat
charge

Which gives her 17 inches of threat. If you pop a boundless charge it gives her 19. Although I wouldn't do that, because I'd rather have the focus to do more autohits.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gotcha, thanks.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

PaintVagrant posted:

Shes not interupting a movement or attack. Its between the movement and attack. I know you can cast spells before a charge attack, Im just not super familiar with sorcha so I cant remember if this is legit.

e: but yeah there is no charge target in melee. Hrm. Looks like you have to walk her.

I know she's not interrupting PV. I'm just explaining the whole process. Since she CAN'T interrupt the movement to cast spells, you go to the second part. As soon as the movement finishes and she's out of attack range, her activation immediately ends. She has no opportunity to cast between the movement portion and the end of activation.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ok, a variant of that question:

Can she

activate
charge her own dude, ending in melee range
feat
cast windrush
windrush move
fail charge/end activation

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Yeah, but she doesn't fail the charge since she ended up in melee with the target. You can cast spells after moving but before attacking so it's all good even if you move out of melee before doing the melee attack.

I'm not 100% sure, but you might even get the initial at another target except it wouldn't be a charge attack.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Arlaharen posted:

Yeah, but she doesn't fail the charge since she ended up in melee with the target. You can cast spells after moving but before attacking so it's all good even if you move out of melee before doing the melee attack.

I'm not 100% sure, but you might even get the initial at another target except it wouldn't be a charge attack.

That sounds right. I dont have a ton of experience with the "charge then do some other poo poo besides hitting someone in the face" type of activations. None of skornes casters really do anything like that, other than I guess eMorghoul, who could charge you, flashing blade with his fan to blind you, then stab you with his sword as the charge attack.

Actually Naaresh has a lot of those type of shenanigans since he has cyclone. Have barely used him though :blush:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

That sounds right. I dont have a ton of experience with the "charge then do some other poo poo besides hitting someone in the face" type of activations. None of skornes casters really do anything like that, other than I guess eMorghoul, who could charge you, flashing blade with his fan to blind you, then stab you with his sword as the charge attack.

Actually Naaresh has a lot of those type of shenanigans since he has cyclone. Have barely used him though :blush:

All this Skorne talk is slowly infecting me with Skornenvy.

I like Rasheth, Zaal, and the Ancestral Guardians. They need a Ancestral Guardian heavy!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I assume epic Xerxis is going to be an ancestral guardian. drat that will be cool.

If you like Zaal and ancestrals/immortals, Zaals tier list is really fun to play and actually pretty competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PaintVagrant posted:

If you like Zaal and ancestrals/immortals, Zaals tier list is really fun to play and actually pretty competitive.

A thousand times this. Also, Hakaar is our AG heavy; fucker is a murder machine. And being able to get him to armor 23 almost effortlessly is just nuts.

Also, with eMorg, I'm used to charging with the fan, then following up with the blade. Somehow, I never thought to use Flashing Blades with the fan to get the charge attack with the blade. drat, now I'm going to have to start playing eMorg again. He used to be my go-to warlock before I started favoring the Fury 7 and 8 ones.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2012

• Locked thread