Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cowcatcher posted:

I need some recomendations about how to stew boar

Last time I did the corsican boar stew with chestnuts, truffle oil, porcini and other vegs, but my wife found the boar taste overwhelming - I think the earthy mushroom taste just made it stronger. It was also quite greasy, but I still loved it

So, what other ingredients should I use to draw attention away from the boarishness of it all?

Garlic, cumin, chiles, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Awesome/Annoying Pro Pot Roast:

:aaa: Holy poo poo. That sounds incredbile AND like a huge pain in the rear end. I suppose you start it on friday if you want to present your friends with the ultimate smug-satisfaction of the best sunday roast they've ever had.

"Can you pass the ketchup?" Sure! Let me get my shotgun and put all the ketchup you want right INTO YOUR FACE ARRJGLJADFLJFDAJKLDFJKLFSDAJKLA!!!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's usually just Citric or ascorbic acid. You can mail order these or buy them at a homebrew shop. Other than that, they're just hard candies.
I've always bought my citric acid at the Indian store. They sell it really cheap.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
My local butcher said I can order duck and it's relatively inexpensive. I've never cooked duck before but I've had it at several restaurants and it's absolutely delicious. What's a good first recipe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

My local butcher said I can order duck and it's relatively inexpensive. I've never cooked duck before but I've had it at several restaurants and it's absolutely delicious. What's a good first recipe?

First time, score the skin on the breasts and roast it.

Second time, fabricate it and sous vide the breasts and confit the legs.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

CuddleChunks posted:

:aaa: Holy poo poo. That sounds incredbile AND like a huge pain in the rear end. I suppose you start it on friday if you want to present your friends with the ultimate smug-satisfaction of the best sunday roast they've ever had.

"Can you pass the ketchup?" Sure! Let me get my shotgun and put all the ketchup you want right INTO YOUR FACE ARRJGLJADFLJFDAJKLDFJKLFSDAJKLA!!!

Yeah, that's the difference between the restaurant and IRL. We would get the kobe in Tuesday day. It would cook overnight to Wednesday and then get cooled in the liquid pretty much as is. Thursday is the bitch day then -- we warm up the pot roast to remove it from its gelatinous prison, then portion the meat while we reduce the sauce. Then we would put meat and ladle of sauce in a ziploc bag and freeze the stuff we wouldnt use immediately.

So then the pickup would basically be: open bag of meat and jello, put in pan in oven, 10 minutes later its hot and ready and perfectly sauced.

The most time-saving thing you can do at home is to remove the "sitting/cooling in its own juice" phase, but you should try both ways eventually to see the difference.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

The most time-saving thing you can do at home is to remove the "sitting/cooling in its own juice" phase, but you should try both ways eventually to see the difference.
I like cooking and am moving to a new house where I want to have friends over and such. This sounds like the perfect trump card meal to pull out once I've gotten my kitchen setup and I'm comfortable with how the oven is heating and whatnot.

I imagine you want to start with a bigass roast for this recipe to work well (and be worth the prep time). Thank you again for the recipe and technique. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

CuddleChunks posted:

I like cooking and am moving to a new house where I want to have friends over and such. This sounds like the perfect trump card meal to pull out once I've gotten my kitchen setup and I'm comfortable with how the oven is heating and whatnot.

I imagine you want to start with a bigass roast for this recipe to work well (and be worth the prep time). Thank you again for the recipe and technique. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yes, we had whole cryovac'd kobe briskets.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you're going to make your own sushi, you want fish that has been properly flash frozen to kill parasites. A fish market actually isn't necessarily ideal if it's all fresh off the boat, because you likely lack the ability to flash freeze it (which protects the texture better than the way it would slowly freeze in your freezer) and also freezes it to a lower temperature than household freezers typically get. What you really need to find is a fishmonger that you trust who can tell you what has been properly frozen. I find Asian markets to be difficult for that as there is often a language barrier that prevents good communication.

Also, "sushi grade" lacks any legal definition. It could mean that the fish has been properly frozen, but doesn't necessarily mean that.

Then where do I go to look for this type of thing? I'm not buddies with any fishmongers here. Regular supermarkets to avoid the language barrier? Organic markets? This local place says they sell "fresh fish" flown in from Hawaii.

edit: Am I going to be paying an arm and a leg for this? I figured this might be cheaper than going out for sushi (usually comes out to about $20/person where I live), and that this would be more fun for a date.

edit2: My cooking skills are somewhat limited (I'm trying to learn), so I have no idea what the hell I would do with a whole fish.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 17, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Then where do I go to look for this type of thing? I'm not buddies with any fishmongers here. Regular supermarkets to avoid the language barrier? Organic markets? This local place says they sell "fresh fish" flown in from Hawaii.

edit: Am I going to be paying an arm and a leg for this? I figured this might be cheaper than going out for sushi (usually comes out to about $20/person where I live), and that this would be more fun for a date.

edit2: My cooking skills are somewhat limited (I'm trying to learn), so I have no idea what the hell I would do with a whole fish.

The Rincon Market place would probably be a good place to start. If they pride themselves on their fish, presumably the fishmonger there knows what they have and how it's been handled.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Yes, we had whole cryovac'd kobe briskets.

is Kobe brisket better than your standard? I thought Kobe was all about marbelling. Doesn't that just render out?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
it probably sells better

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The rest of the cow has to go somewhere, and it has the bonus of being called Kobe. No idea if it is qualitatively better, but it doesn't seem like pot roast would showcase the betterness anyway.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I have way too many limes! What can I do with limes? They are really good limes but we got a bag of costco limes for the superbowl for cooking and gin and tonics but everyone was a total light weight and didnt drink that much so now I have way too many limes! Baking! Should I make lime bars? Can I make keylime pie with non-key limes? I have a chicken, lime chicken? Im too scared to ceviche, I don't know how many gin and tonics I can drink -i have to work tomorrow!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Margaritas.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Margaritas.

I like it but this mirrors my Gin and Tonic dilemma. Also I don't have tequila.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

aricoarena posted:

I have way too many limes! What can I do with limes? They are really good limes but we got a bag of costco limes for the superbowl for cooking and gin and tonics but everyone was a total light weight and didnt drink that much so now I have way too many limes! Baking! Should I make lime bars? Can I make keylime pie with non-key limes? I have a chicken, lime chicken? Im too scared to ceviche, I don't know how many gin and tonics I can drink -i have to work tomorrow!

Indian lime pickle.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

aricoarena posted:

You can do key lime bars with regular (persian) limes, but they will probably be more sour than key limes and have a slightly differnet flavor to them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gin and tonic once you get in from work every day. Just use half a lime per drink. How many limes exactly do you have?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Jose posted:

Gin and tonic once you get in from work every day. Just use half a lime per drink. How many limes exactly do you have?

I've been going quater lime per drink but that like just started today cuase I had the day off. I should have been doing it all week and that would have been not problem but I was doing whiskey or beer :( I have 12 more juicy getting kinda old Limes right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You can always just go with gin and the juice of 4 limes :v:.

Next time try a bottle of bitters and add a couple of dashes instead of lime. I prefer it a lot of the time and it'll keep a lot longer

Jose fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

aricoarena posted:

I like it but this mirrors my Gin and Tonic dilemma. Also I don't have tequila.

Your ratio of lime to liquor is higher with margaritas. You could also juice them, freeze and save it for when you're not a pussy you don't have work.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I decided to play with my big tub of methylcellulose powder tonight...this stuff is wacky. I found a recipe for vegan marshmallows that uses it, so I think sometime next week I'll try to make those. I can definitely see potential with it - it foamed easily when whisked by hand, and held the bubbles pretty well once the powder had hydrated some.

Knowing that it's made from plant pulp, I should have expected it to smell like book paste, but I didn't.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

aricoarena posted:

I've been going quater lime per drink but that like just started today cuase I had the day off. I should have been doing it all week and that would have been not problem but I was doing whiskey or beer :( I have 12 more juicy getting kinda old Limes right now.

You can portion and freeze lime wedges. They won't look so nice, so you won't want to serve them to guests, but if you have a lime emergency, like emergency gin and tonic, or emergency lime squeeze for tacos, you can use them.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Frozen Limes double as tasty ice cubes, too.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

kiteless posted:

You can portion and freeze lime wedges. They won't look so nice, so you won't want to serve them to guests, but if you have a lime emergency, like emergency gin and tonic, or emergency lime squeeze for tacos, you can use them.

I thought that the cell walls would burst and it would be bad.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

aricoarena posted:

I thought that the cell walls would burst and it would be bad.

Cell walls bursting affects the texture, if you're squeezing the limes for the delicious juice, you don't give a crap.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Alright, I'm bowing out because that is an insane amount of pure clam juice.

Made it. It turned out really loving good, but how can you go wrong with wine, heavy cream and tarragon.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

re: limes

drink gimlets. That'll take care of your lime problem pretty quick.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I made some pizza dough last week, and it was extremely sticky while I was kneading it. I'm guessing that maybe the fact that I used plain white flour, instead of the strong white flour and semolina mix in the recipe might mean that I should use less water. Does that sound about right, or should the dough be really sticky when I make it?

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
The finer the flour, the more conservative you should be with water. If it's at the point where you're making dough glue, then generously flour your bench and work the dough until it starts to hold onto itself and not your fingers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When it comes to EVOO, what are good brands to buy? For some reason I'm starting to get the feeling the stuff I buy in stores down here in the south are actually pretty poo poo! :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 18, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

When it comes to EVOO, what's are good brands to buy? For some reason I'm starting to get the feeling the stuff I buy in stores down here in the south are actually pretty poo poo! :v:

If you can find it, California Olive Ranch makes some pretty fantastic EVOOs. Stores here usually carry their house blend, a seasonal blend, and a seasonal single variety. All the ones I've had were incredible.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you can find it, California Olive Ranch makes some pretty fantastic EVOOs. Stores here usually carry their house blend, a seasonal blend, and a seasonal single variety. All the ones I've had were incredible.

Their name makes me laugh because "ranch" is isn't a synonym for "farm," it's specifically a place for raising livestock--grazing livestock at that. I imagine that their ranch has hundreds of giant, looming, zoomorphic olive-creatures that roll around in herds. Just as cows moo, these half-animal abominations repeatedly whisper, "Kill meeeee!" One day, their cries are heard by the rancher, who calmly rolls them into what looks like a large swimming pool with no water in it. Then he starts up a massive cement roller and starts crushing the olives to death. For the special batches, you can hear dozens of younger, socially-awkward olives cry out, "I can't die yet. I'm still a virgin!"

So there you have it. That's why their oil is it's so tasty: they somehow figured out how to get animals into vegan food.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I got a bunch of tasty local raw honey.
Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Honey mustard chicken perhaps? Don't know if the mustard kills the taste of the fine honey then :)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought a bunch of small radishes today, what's the best way to serve them?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I ate half a banana yesterday, and put it in the fridge so I could finish it today. My sister, at some point in these past 24 hours, moved it to the freezer. Now it's sitting out on a counter thawing at room temperature.

This is especially silly because all I wanted was to slice it up on top of cereal as a late-night snack - but with the bananas having been frozen, is the texture going to be changed through that and the thawing process? (Or rather, should I just give up on the banana topping and pan-fry it instead?)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like turtles posted:

Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?

Topping for plain yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I like turtles posted:

Put it on hot biscuits.