Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

IT Guy posted:

Android Pro Widgets > ICS Theme > Transparency 0% (100% being opaque)

Thanks a bunch! I bought it and installed both and it looks wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone know what's different in the latest version of Swype? I just got the update, but don't see anything I don't recognize

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
It works on ICS now, I think that's it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
http://www.nuancemobilelife.com/swype-beta-integrates-dragon-go-ice-cream-sandwich-support-2/

Looks like it
integrates with a new Siri-like project they launched called Dragon GO, improved the language modeling, and added multiple language download options for WXGA-resolution devices.

ICS support is the big thing though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I played with Dragon Go some when it first hit the market. It works really well, now if only I could tolerate Swype.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
My gf's Swype keeps crashing every time she brings up the keyboard. I've run into this issue before on my phone and it requires deleting the Swype apk from the system folders and reinstalling which I proceeded to do. However, when I do that, the issue still pops up. More crashes.

What am I missing? She's running CleanRom reborn on an Evo3d.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just want them to finally suck it up and let people delete words from the stock dictionary.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

I just want them to finally suck it up and let people delete words from the stock dictionary.

This. I do not know a 'Jadon', but every time I swype Jason it comes up as the default word. It pisses me off, as I talk to/about Jason a lot. Otherwise, I love swype.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Essobie posted:

Quoting myself since I found a few apps that do exactly that: replace the way the calendar does notifications.

Calendar Event Reminder ($2.19)

This is the best one I found. There isn't a demo/free version, unfortunately, but I spent my first 15 minutes testing it (before the refund window closed) and it does everything I want it to and more. It creates a lockscreen-like alert that comes up whenever a calendar event reminder occurs, and it works off of your current Calendar application. It will play a repeating ringtone/alert sound of your choosing, on a calendar by calendar basis (i.e. if you want your work alerts to sound different from your google calendar alerts, you can do that). It will unlock your phone if you want, turn on your phone if you want, play through the speaker no matter what if you want... tons of options.

To belatedly answer the questions asked of me, this is also exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the post.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I have three keyboards that I cycle between for various tasks and two more stock keyboards that I can't delete and only clutter up the input select option. Is there an app that will cycle my keyboards automatically depending on the app without requiring that I root my phone? Barring that, does anyone know how to remove stock keyboards so I can at least speed up the process a little? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2, if it matters.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Does anyone have the latest gmail.apk? I was futzing around with some stuff and can't get the original back. (Can't download from market)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EvilMuppet posted:

Does anyone have the latest gmail.apk? I was futzing around with some stuff and can't get the original back. (Can't download from market)

If you have the ROM file you installed (unless you're rooted stock, in which case you'd have to download a ROM), you can pull the Gmail apk out of it with 7zip.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or download the latest gapps package from any number of sites.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Or check to see if you have it backed up with Titanium Backup.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
OK so I'm having some trouble finding the right news feed for me. I haven't really liked any of the RSS readers I've come across.

Basically I kind of like the format and setup of the Google News app on Ice Cream Sandwich but it's not very customizable and I'm looking for an app that has a little bit more to offer. I like the idea of aggregating all of the news together and grouping it by category, regardless of source (as opposed to the way Pulse segregates each publication). I like how Google News sort of moderates and picks out the biggest stories rather than dumping a million versions of the same news topic on my lap. That said, I like most everything else about Pulse, including the ability to control which publications to get news from and which categories of news to get (I like to get top stories, world news, US politics, sports, entertainment, and video game-centric news).

I guess what I'm asking is: is there a good news aggregator that sort of blends the best of Google News and Pulse? I'm not opposed to an RSS Feed if that's the only solution, but I've been really unimpressed with the UI and layout of most of the major RSS feed apps.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is there any decent app at all for importing and exporting ICS tables on Android? I've been looking for a while, but I can't really find anything. I don't need constant syncing or anything, just the ability to import my old calendar at all. I have no idea why this isn't something the stock calendar can do by default.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Codiusprime posted:

It works on ICS now, I think that's it.

I'm so glad that they finally updated it for ICS. This was one of the few things I really missed on the Gnex.

Edit: I don't know if their site is getting hammered, but I couldn't get their installer to download. Ended up restoring an old backup of the version 2.0 installer and was able to install it without issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cardiovorax posted:

Is there any decent app at all for importing and exporting ICS tables on Android? I've been looking for a while, but I can't really find anything. I don't need constant syncing or anything, just the ability to import my old calendar at all. I have no idea why this isn't something the stock calendar can do by default.

I use ICS BOT 2, it's only for importing single entries but it might handle a full table, try it & find out? (just try to open the file, ics bot will intercept the request)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cakefool posted:

I use ICS BOT 2, it's only for importing single entries but it might handle a full table, try it & find out? (just try to open the file, ics bot will intercept the request)
It tries to import every single event separately and makes my phone crash. Oh well. :v:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I'm having no luck so far, tired two roms and the gmail.apk just refuses to install. I tried the gapps pack as well but that doesn't seem to have a separate gmail.apk? trying the app from another ROM now.

EDIT: OK I got another apk installed but it's still not right. The problem is I installed a skinned gmail.apk, a black version. Even though I installed a new .apk, cleared cache and settings, it's still showing the skinned version. How to I get it back to stock?

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 17, 2012

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there an alternative for Google Music? I'd love to try it, but it isn't available in my country :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EvilMuppet posted:

I'm having no luck so far, tired two roms and the gmail.apk just refuses to install. I tried the gapps pack as well but that doesn't seem to have a separate gmail.apk? trying the app from another ROM now.

EDIT: OK I got another apk installed but it's still not right. The problem is I installed a skinned gmail.apk, a black version. Even though I installed a new .apk, cleared cache and settings, it's still showing the skinned version. How to I get it back to stock?

Check to see if there's a Gmail.apk in /Data/App in addition to /System/App.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

beedeebee posted:

Is there an alternative for Google Music? I'd love to try it, but it isn't available in my country :(

Can't you sideload the APK?

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Don't know about any alternatives, but its not available in my country either :canada:. I just used this handy guide and it works fine for me. Only restriction is I can't buy music, but everything else is a-ok.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

BoyBlunder posted:

Can't you sideload the APK?

You can sideload the Pandora app. You can also proxy/vpn to a US IP, download the app then disconnect the proxy/vpn and you can continue to use Pandora.

I have no clue if this also works with Google Music but it's worth a try.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If you're able to root your phone, you can use market enabler to set your region to the US, then install from the market. Google music works fine with no restrictions other than being unable to download music from the Market.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

IT Guy posted:

You can sideload the Pandora app. You can also proxy/vpn to a US IP, download the app then disconnect the proxy/vpn and you can continue to use Pandora.

I have no clue if this also works with Google Music but it's worth a try.

Pandora and Google Music are pretty different though. Spotify is probably available, but you have to pay to get the "stream your music from the cloud" functionality.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FlyingCheese posted:

My gf's Swype keeps crashing every time she brings up the keyboard. I've run into this issue before on my phone and it requires deleting the Swype apk from the system folders and reinstalling which I proceeded to do. However, when I do that, the issue still pops up. More crashes.

What am I missing? She's running CleanRom reborn on an Evo3d.

Have you also removed libSwypeCore.so (Can't remember exactly where it lives)?

Though... That should prevent you from installing it in the first place, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Athenry posted:

Pandora and Google Music are pretty different though. Spotify is probably available, but you have to pay to get the "stream your music from the cloud" functionality.

I'd argue that the time saved... acquiring the music, fixing metadata, and removing poo poo like R1PP3D BY MUZACBROZ from the comment field is well worth the $10 a month you pay for Spotify Premium though. The app kinda sucks but after awhile you learn to deal with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
MediaMonkey takes care of that stuff in seconds, though, and embeds the album art too if you want it; plus it talks to iPods, which is why I first got it. The downside to Spotify is the same one all the cloud services have: big bandwidth consumption in a mostly-capped world.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have recommendations for a decent, ICS friendly Alarm App? I was using Alarm Clock Plus on my Droid X, but I'd rather look at something more updated for my Gnex. I like being able to listen to music when I wake up, so compatibility with Google Music would be sweet. Not sure if this is possible, though.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I keep media monkey around for that purpose alone. It pulls ID info from Amazon or wherever else you point it to and tags it with "correct" track and artist name + throw the album art in as well.

It's spotty with a few artists due to their releases being LP, EP, VINYL, LIVE, etc etc but it's generally easy as hell to use.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

MediaMonkey takes care of that stuff in seconds, though, and embeds the album art too if you want it; plus it talks to iPods, which is why I first got it. The downside to Spotify is the same one all the cloud services have: big bandwidth consumption in a mostly-capped world.

There's a sort-of workaround for that; Spotify lets you cache playlists offline, so if you create a separate playlist to listen to on the way to/from work or whatever you can download it over your home connection beforehand and leave it at that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's cool. What're the limits (songs/size/time?) on that feature?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Only the space left on your handset, as long as you're a Spotify Premium member.

There's also a separate offline mode in the app settings that stops it syncing entirely with their servers - I think in that case it only phones home every thirty days. In case you're heading to Antarctica for a holiday, or you work in a Faraday cage.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

spincube posted:

you work in a Faraday cage.

Nope, I don't work for Lockheed. Here, have a wall of questions:

What's the musical selection like? Electro? Euro dubstep? Classical? Chiptunes? Jazz? Live DJ sets (probably the most important)? Recommendations based on what I'm already liking? What bitrates are available? How's the app audio quality? Is there a Windows version? If so, can I use Offline Mode with it?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Nope, I don't work for Lockheed. Here, have a wall of questions:

What's the musical selection like? Electro? Euro dubstep? Classical? Chiptunes? Jazz? Live DJ sets (probably the most important)? Recommendations based on what I'm already liking? What bitrates are available? How's the app audio quality? Is there a Windows version? If so, can I use Offline Mode with it?

It's probably best if you download the desktop client and give it a spin for a week or so, see if the selection suits you - I've never really found it lacking, but my music tastes are pretty whitebread. There's also some chitchat over in NMD you might find useful.

In brief, though:
Recommendations? - there's a radio function similar to last.fm, where you enter an artist and it'll wander through similar artists' work.
Bitrates - the FAQ puts the free stream at q3 Ogg quality, and the premium at q9.
Offline mode - as long as you're a premium member, you can cache playlists for offline use across the phone and desktop clients.

Best use I've found for it so far is that it'll wirelessly sync your PC's music to your handset over wifi as a free user - you can put your local MP3s into playlists and have it sync up that way.
Only thing it's really lacking for me is lockscreen controls, and that the UI is slightly iOS-flavoured.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have a good suggestion for viewing sheet music on an Android tablet? I'm currently viewing PDFs in ezPDF, but it's a little slow to turn pages. Is there another format that might be better, or a program that's geared towards this purpose?

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
While we're on the subject of Spotify, is there no way to join that site without a Facebook? I put off signing up for a few months because I didn't really care, but now that I'm curious to see what it's like, it looks like there's absolutely no way to join if you don't have a Facebook. That just seems.. really dumb.

AlexMoron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlexMoron posted:

While we're on the subject of Spotify, is there no way to join that site without a Facebook? I put off signing up for a few months because I didn't really care, but now that I'm curious to see what it's like, it looks like there's absolutely no way to join if you don't have a Facebook. That just seems.. really dumb.

It is very dumb, and I'm so glad I signed up before it was a requirement.

Other than that I really like Spotify. I cache a bunch of playlists to my device and all is golden.

• Locked thread