Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Torael_7 posted:

How is gaming on a mac, both stuff that runs natively/has native clients (Steam, wow, etc) and stuff that requires windows via bootcamp?

Sorry if this gets asked a lot :ohdear:

It depends. As a general rule games perform worse than on equivalent PC hardware but there's a lot of variability depending on the game's engine and whether it's native or a port. Blizzard games tend to perform well, but Cider ports tend to not perform as well, for example.

ML Question: Does Airplay only work with an AppleTV? I have a Mac Mini as an HTPC and it would be nice to stream to that from my Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

jwoven posted:

For some reason, I can't seem to connect to my Windows file server. I've tried the cmd+k smb://the ip, in addition to smb://hostname, but it isn't connecting in either case. I can see them there when I go to the Networks, but still can't connect there either.

10.7.3 on a Mini

Is it prompting for a password? If not, delete whatever information is saved in your Keychain. You also should try cifs://localip

If it's still not working, chances are its something on the Windows end.

edit: I've never had luck connecting with Windows accounts that don't have passwords, so make sure you set one.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but Parallels (latest version) does not run under Mountain Lion. I had to boot camp into my windows partition to get some work done and now I hate life.

Has anyone gotten VMWare Fusion to work in Mountain Lion?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

japtor posted:

What GPU do you have? I think it was on the Anandtech article that pointed out that it seemed like they were basically cutting off the oldest graphics, which is more or less (but not completely?) in line with EFI32 machines.
There's no correlation between the graphics cards and the EFI32 machines, really. The original Macbook Air is the only device with both 32-bit EFI and 32-bit graphics kexts.

2007/2008 Macbooks and Mac Minis do have 64-bit EFIs, but 32-bit kexts for GMA950 and GMAX3100. Meanwhile a lot of the 32-bit EFI machines actually do have fully supported 64-bit kexts for their GPUs.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tarq posted:

Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but Parallels (latest version) does not run under Mountain Lion. I had to boot camp into my windows partition to get some work done and now I hate life.

Has anyone gotten VMWare Fusion to work in Mountain Lion?

Maybe you should try not running a developer preview on your main computer that you do work on.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mik posted:

ML Question: Does Airplay only work with an AppleTV? I have a Mac Mini as an HTPC and it would be nice to stream to that from my Air.

http://www.airserverapp.com/

I haven't tried it yet though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
According to that page:

quote:

That’s right, we’ve added optimizations for iOS 5 and Lion: support for iOS playlists, a new video player and much, much more. AirPlay mirroring, however, is not supported.

It might change in the future though, but I think they've been having trouble with mirroring (bananatv/airparrot) so maybe it'll be easier with mountain lion.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

fleshweasel posted:

Maybe you should try not running a developer preview on your main computer that you do work on.

While I agree in principle, my work is development so I did need to install the developer preview on that particular machine...

That said, I'd still like to run VMs on that particular machine if possible to see how a few things perform / work together.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

All of a sudden when I went to start gVim, it tells me I need to install Rosetta? I've ran this a million times. What gives? I'm on Snow Leopard.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Is "Open using Rosetta" checked in the Info window? Maybe that got tripped somehow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vkeios posted:

Is "Open using Rosetta" checked in the Info window? Maybe that got tripped somehow.

I'm probably looking in the wrong spot but I don't see that checkbox.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

I believe it's only for Universal applications, and not PowerPC only ones.

(Alternatively you could always upgrade to Emacs. ;))

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Well for some reason your gVim app is now PowerPC. That'd explain your problem (Also that checkbox won't appear in this case). All you can really do is go redownload the app and make sure you grab a universal or intel version.

Did the app recently update or something? All I can think of is maybe you or the app grabbed a ppc only build on accident.

Small White Dragon posted:

Alternatively you could always upgrade to Emacs. ;))

I really wouldn't use the word 'upgrade' for that..

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Do they even have an intel build of gvim.app? What's wrong with macvim?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Carthag posted:

I see absolutely no issues with Gatekeeper. It's free to sign your code and does not require any review by Apple. Only the most fanatic of OSS types would argue against that (and even then, they can continue using unsigned code if they want to).

And yeah I seriously doubt Apple would ever move to a totally closed App Store-only model. It doesn't make sense at all.
Can you get a cert with a free dev account? Stuff I read before mentioned needing the paid account ($100).

App Store only kind of makes sense if you consider how many more iOS users there are that are used to it already, but I don't think they're going in that direction. I'd guess they figured enough people would just jailbreak to get much of their current basic functionality back (immediately defeating the purpose), so a compromise like this makes more sense than going all the way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Do they even have an intel build of gvim.app? What's wrong with macvim?

Derp. I don't know. I guess I will give MacVim a whirl.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Using my Google-fu I found this Universal build of gVim, dunno if it actually works though.

Maybe you ran one of those PPC code trimming thingies because you wanted more space on your hard drive or something.

And why not install Rosetta, are you afraid that it'll slow down your machine by that critical .000002%?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

japtor posted:

Somewhere in Settings on your iPhone is a caller ID setting for iMessages, I'm guessing it's set to your phone number. For now at least, the way iMessages work is that if they're sent to a phone number, they only go to that phone, whereas if they're sent to an email address (your Apple ID?) they'll go everywhere. So when you message Bob from your phone, your caller ID shows your phone, so his replies go to the phone only. If you change the caller ID to your email, replies should go everywhere.

You are half right. I changed my caller ID to my email address on *day one* ... back when iOS 5 came out (for this very reason). Unfortunately, it seems the iPhone completely ignores your caller ID when doing iPhone -> iPhone messaging (I would guess so that the phone you're messaging has your phone # and can resort to SMS when iMessages are unavailable). As such, every single person I've ever iMessaged is using my phone number despite this setting. Argh!

Why doesn't Apple properly associate the phone number and email addresses on your account so that they all act as one, and any message to one appears everywhere? It's annoying as gently caress.

What's worse is I've since discovered that the iPhone will show two separate threads for the same contact if they contact you using two different "addresses." ie. I've been messaging with John using his phone number, and now he starts messaging with me using his email address; despite the fact that the phone recognizes him as being the same contact it will not consolidate the two conversations (the Mac Messages app is at least smart enough to do this).

iMessages are just a clusterfuck right now. Hopefully this new beta gives Apple an opportunity to wake up and fix that poo poo.

Shmoogy posted:

It might change in the future though, but I think they've been having trouble with mirroring (bananatv/airparrot) so maybe it'll be easier with mountain lion.

Airplay mirroring uses encryption for security purposes... that's why third-party apps have been unable to hook into it.

Also, according to other forums I've been reading, Mountain Lion does not add the ability to Airplay TO your Mac (not surprising, but still disappointing).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need a developer account to get all sorts of necessary resources so it's a bit of a moot point if you need one to sign your code.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe you ran one of those PPC code trimming thingies because you wanted more space on your hard drive or something.

And why not install Rosetta, are you afraid that it'll slow down your machine by that critical .000002%?

Haven't run anything that would have affected it like that. This is my work machine so I don't run anything like that on it.

I just wondered why it popped up. I was literally using it this morning and I don't remember ever seeing that. I just type 'gvim' into Spotlight so maybe it's somehow finding a different copy of the app or something that it's running?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

You are half right. I changed my caller ID to my email address on *day one* ... back when iOS 5 came out (for this very reason). Unfortunately, it seems the iPhone completely ignores your caller ID when doing iPhone -> iPhone messaging (I would guess so that the phone you're messaging has your phone # and can resort to SMS when iMessages are unavailable). As such, every single person I've ever iMessaged is using my phone number despite this setting. Argh!

Why doesn't Apple properly associate the phone number and email addresses on your account so that they all act as one, and any message to one appears everywhere? It's annoying as gently caress.

What's worse is I've since discovered that the iPhone will show two separate threads for the same contact if they contact you using two different "addresses." ie. I've been messaging with John using his phone number, and now he starts messaging with me using his email address; despite the fact that the phone recognizes him as being the same contact it will not consolidate the two conversations (the Mac Messages app is at least smart enough to do this).

iMessages are just a clusterfuck right now. Hopefully this new beta gives Apple an opportunity to wake up and fix that poo poo.
Are you entirely sure you understand what beta means? It doesn't seem like you do.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are you entirely sure you understand what beta means? It doesn't seem like you do.

I think he's talking about the iOS 5 iMessages App on the iPhone, which separates conversations by email/phone number and not by contacts unfortunately. I have the same problem with a friend who sometimes messages me from his iPhone and sometimes from his iPod Touch.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm not complaining about the Beta specifically, I'm complaining about the way Apple handles iMessages as a whole.

All of these problems are evident with iPhone -> iPad messaging as well, because they're rooted in the way Apple considers your email address and phone number separate. The multiple-conversations-for-one-contact issue is one that the Mac beta actually does better at than currently released Apple software on the phone.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

echobucket posted:

The smilies popup is great with the iChat SA smilies installed.

How did you install these? These look awesome

edit: derrr I found it. Google was failing me

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Welp, bye bye Adium. Messages is the business.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Unfortunately, it seems the iPhone completely ignores your caller ID when doing iPhone -> iPhone messaging (I would guess so that the phone you're messaging has your phone # and can resort to SMS when iMessages are unavailable).

I agree iMessage has some issues but this is not true. What most likely happened is that your friends and/or you left open old conversations and continued to use those, which were still tied to phone numbers. If all of your friends and you cleared your conversations and started new ones they would be receiving messages from your email instead (if thats what your caller ID is set to)

edit: What are the chances Apple adds some iChat-like functionality to Messages on iOS? Would seem to be the final step.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rabid Koala posted:

Welp, bye bye Adium. Messages is the business.

I'd like to say this, but it's just not true. Not until Apple finally bakes in MSN support. (Yes, I know people who use MSN. No, they won't switch to something else, because everyone else THEY know uses MSN.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

I agree iMessage has some issues but this is not true. What most likely happened is that your friends and/or you left open old conversations and continued to use those, which were still tied to phone numbers. If all of your friends and you cleared your conversations and started new ones they would be receiving messages from your email instead (if thats what your caller ID is set to)

Since I set my caller ID to my email before I ever iMessaged anyone, how could that be the case? The reports I've read also jibe with this. But I will try an experiment with my and a friend's phone next time I have a chance. We'll clear each others conversations from both phones and I'll send him an iMessage from my phone and see what the caller ID actually is.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
But if you sent them regular texts before and opened up that same conversation to try then it would still use the phone number.

For what it's worth, I've done the experiment with my phone and have successfully sent messages from my email to a friends iPhone. This actually exposed something else funny: since it was from my email, when my friend replied and his message failed, the iPhone attempted to SMS my email. So, because the carrier supported texting emails, I ended up receiving an email with my friends text message.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

decypher posted:

Is it prompting for a password? If not, delete whatever information is saved in your Keychain. You also should try cifs://localip

If it's still not working, chances are its something on the Windows end.

edit: I've never had luck connecting with Windows accounts that don't have passwords, so make sure you set one.

It isn't prompting for a password, and the windows server does have a password. I can connect to it just fine from my other (windows) computers and my mbp.
when I use either "connect to server" or the thing in Finder

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Wow so Garageband '11 is pretty much just a big "gently caress you" to podcasters isn't it?

I can't believe there is no way to turn off Flex Time.

Christ apple.....I've been a user since 1992 and I hate you more every day. :argh:

What program should I be using to delete mistakes and splice audio back together?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

jwoven posted:

It isn't prompting for a password, and the windows server does have a password. I can connect to it just fine from my other (windows) computers and my mbp.
when I use either "connect to server" or the thing in Finder

Can you ping it successfully?

You did check the login keychains in keychain access for an item saved with the network name of said windows computer? If you see anything in there, you need to delete it.

You didn't mention it but i'll assume you tried using cifs://192.189.0.192.

And a completely random, possibly irrelevant question: do you happen to have file sharing enabled or disabled in system preferences?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

decypher posted:

Can you ping it successfully?

You did check the login keychains in keychain access for an item saved with the network name of said windows computer? If you see anything in there, you need to delete it.

You didn't mention it but i'll assume you tried using cifs://192.189.0.192.

And a completely random, possibly irrelevant question: do you happen to have file sharing enabled or disabled in system preferences?

Ping is successful, and I can also successfully RDP into the server

Keychain has nothing there with the network name

cifs doesn't do anything either

File sharing is enabled in system preferences on the Mac.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

But if you sent them regular texts before and opened up that same conversation to try then it would still use the phone number.

You are right. I did the test, and here are the results (starting from scratch, no preexisting convos, my caller ID is my email):

1. I iMessage John's email. It shows up coming from my email. His responses go to my email.

2. I iMessage John's phone number. It shows up coming from my email. His responses go to my email.

3. I SMS John. He SMSs me back. I iMessage John. It shows up comin from my phone number. His responses go to my phone number.

I consider the #2 behavior correct re: messaging a phone. Responses should go to my caller ID (what else is it for?). The latter half of #3 should behave the same as #2.

Of course, if they just unified the number/email (or just gave an option to) none of this would be an issue.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Terpfen posted:

I'd like to say this, but it's just not true. Not until Apple finally bakes in MSN support. (Yes, I know people who use MSN. No, they won't switch to something else, because everyone else THEY know uses MSN.)

Fuckin' Canadians.

But yeah, Messages isn't there yet. There's a lot of simple poo poo it can't do that I'd still need to use Adium. (Editing my Yahoo blocked list, for example.)

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 18, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

THE LUMMOX posted:

Wow so Garageband '11 is pretty much just a big "gently caress you" to podcasters isn't it?

I can't believe there is no way to turn off Flex Time.

Christ apple.....I've been a user since 1992 and I hate you more every day. :argh:

What program should I be using to delete mistakes and splice audio back together?

From some Apple message board:
"Click and drag below the "zero" line in GarageBand's Editor Pane, GB's Flex Time tool is only initiated when you click above the zero line."

For simple audio editing, you can also use the free software Audacity.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

So, I'm relatively new to Mac OS X. The last time I used Mac OS with any length of time was OS 8. Anyway, my experience has been pretty good with exactly one glaring, terribly awful exception: file handling. As an example, here's my biggest problem: a big part of my job is viewing logs. I need to look through multiple files generated by systems to see if I can find configuration or hardware errors and all that and I cannot get the OS to open the files in TextMate or anything else. It doesn't matter how many times I set it as the default viewer because that checkbox is apparently meant to say "open this particular file only in this application" and not "open this file type in this application". It also comes as a problem with opening movies. I have lots of movie files that I'd like to open in VLC and not Quicktime. Same issue.

What the hell can I do?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TreFitty posted:

So, I'm relatively new to Mac OS X. The last time I used Mac OS with any length of time was OS 8. Anyway, my experience has been pretty good with exactly one glaring, terribly awful exception: file handling. As an example, here's my biggest problem: a big part of my job is viewing logs. I need to look through multiple files generated by systems to see if I can find configuration or hardware errors and all that and I cannot get the OS to open the files in TextMate or anything else. It doesn't matter how many times I set it as the default viewer because that checkbox is apparently meant to say "open this particular file only in this application" and not "open this file type in this application". It also comes as a problem with opening movies. I have lots of movie files that I'd like to open in VLC and not Quicktime. Same issue.

What the hell can I do?

Did you hit "change all"

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

You are my savior. I didn't think to look there at all. Just the "Open With" or whatever menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Can I install 10.8 in its own partition?

So that way I can play with it but not mess with my lion install?