Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

That guy from Wings as author insert's assistant.

Which guy? Both Tim Daly and Steven Webber have previously been in King movies, so I'd hope you mean Tony Shalhoub.

Also, Sleepwalkers has ruined my girlfriend's appreciation for Charmed. She apparently used to have a big crush on Brian Krause but now all she can see is that catface trying to rape girls in cemetaries.

STOP STARING AT ME, YOU loving CAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Also he uses "lawks-a-mussy" or something like that a lot.

This is terrible when listening to an audiobook.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fjTUZtpLLSc#t=342s

Forgot about this. Nothing particularly amazing, was a clip from Chappelle Show when they had Paul Mooney answer questions that people had about black people. Stephen King was one of the people that asked a question.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Which guy? Both Tim Daly and Steven Webber have previously been in King movies, so I'd hope you mean Tony Shalhoub.

Also, Sleepwalkers has ruined my girlfriend's appreciation for Charmed. She apparently used to have a big crush on Brian Krause but now all she can see is that catface trying to rape girls in cemetaries.

STOP STARING AT ME, YOU loving CAT.

It was Weber. Tony Shalhoub would have been an interesting choice but I can't help see him as a neurotic now, always.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Ozmaugh posted:

I'm skipping a lot of paragraphs as I go along. There's so much that just doesn't need to be here and isn't remotely interesting.

And I'm having difficulty imagining that readers in the 80s found Richie palatable- I know he's always supposed to be over-the-top annoying but the dash of racism is what makes it intolerable.

I'M NOT RACIST CHILLUNS! LAWS NO! I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN BOUT BIRTHIN NO BABIES!
I gave up on It because the 1980s timeline was so boring after the really great opening.
I don't care if these kids grew up to have lovely marriages, get back to the evil clown!

Dark Tower book 2 probably has the worst racist dialect because of how it's presented as a meaningful negative character trait rather than an additional detail.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Detta Walker is supposed to be an awful racist caricature, that's kind of the point. She's what upper-class, refined Odetta Holmes thinks tough poor black women are like, breaking plates and loving honkies in parking lots.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Detta Walker is supposed to be an awful racist caricature, that's kind of the point. She's what upper-class, refined Odetta Holmes thinks tough poor black women are like, breaking plates and loving honkies in parking lots.

Giving honkies the blue balls! :eng101:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Giving honkies the blue balls! :eng101:

gently caress yo plate, you honky ma-fa!

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
A discussion of King-isms and no one brought up redheads with coltish legs and bullet breasts?

For shame people. You have forgotten the faces of your fathers.

Fascist Funk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 11, 2012

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finished Needful Things today. I enjoyed it, but...I thought the ending was kind of weird. Alan's light ball that came out of his paper flower routine came out of left field. Combining that with Gaunt being confused by the shadow figure, maybe it was supposed to suggest that Gaunt was affected by sleight of hand tricks?I didn't really get it. I did like the fact a few of the characters' lives were still ruined even though Gaunt's evil had been vanquished. Overall I'd definitely recommend it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well I'm way behind. I just don't read enough. I'll finish it in a few weeks and post my thoughts.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm just glad to be rid of the book.

I'll be back when Dark Tower 7/4.5 is out.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

crankdatbatman posted:

Combining that with Gaunt being confused by the shadow figure, maybe it was supposed to suggest that Gaunt was affected by sleight of hand tricks?

Potency of belief or something like that? The stuff the sheriff can do requires some kind of innocence or belief or whatever that I guess an ~evil force~ wouldn't understand.

Same thing you're dealing with in IT, really, where reciting bird names somehow has power against ageless evil?
It doesn't really make sense so I guess it is the ultimate Kingism.

I just wrote those words and I hate myself a lil for them.

arinlome
Feb 13, 2012
I am a huge King fan, but I loving hate Dolores Claiborne with a burning passion. I read it once, just because it was the only King book I hadn't read, and then put it on a shelf and will never touch it again.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

arinlome posted:

I am a huge King fan, but I loving hate Dolores Claiborne with a burning passion. I read it once, just because it was the only King book I hadn't read, and then put it on a shelf and will never touch it again.

I enjoy the story but it's one of those times where the movie outshines the book quite easily.

I finished IT. I feel like a pervo for saying this, but please explain why we get a really stupid love scene between Bev/Bill as adults but then at the end it's just "oh by the way Ben and Bev are going to Iowa together and they're probably doing it."

Maybe, I dunno, a little more in the way of a conversation between the two of them might be interesting since we've sort of made an investment as a reader into Ben?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Ben was the first boy to give her an orgasm, so maybe that has something to do with it :gonk:

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site

Ozmaugh posted:

I finished IT. I feel like a pervo for saying this, but please explain why we get a really stupid love scene between Bev/Bill as adults but then at the end it's just "oh by the way Ben and Bev are going to Iowa together and they're probably doing it."

Maybe, I dunno, a little more in the way of a conversation between the two of them might be interesting since we've sort of made an investment as a reader into Ben?

I think the way he wrote it fits in with the theme of withdrawal/remoteness/forgetting that closes the book.

eta I mean the way the Ben/Bev plot thread closes, not the coltish-legged redhead Gary Stu wish-fulfillment between Bill and Bev.

Fascist Funk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 13, 2012

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Fascist Funk posted:

I think the way he wrote it fits in with the theme of withdrawal/remoteness/forgetting that closes the book.

Except he's willing to devote pages and pages to that weird thing with Audra at the end.

Eh oh well :mad:

brylcreem posted:

Well, Ben was the first boy to give her an orgasm, so maybe that has something to do with it :gonk:

It's kind of funny to read about what stephen king thinks happens in a woman's mind when she's having an orgasm.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ozmaugh posted:

It's kind of funny to read about what stephen king thinks happens in a woman's mind when she's having an orgasm.

So... how accurate is he?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Octy posted:

So... how accurate is he?

Mileage varies I guess but I'd say he's overthinking things a lot.

I also don't sit around thinking about "my man" after sex or whatever, like pretty much every woman seems to in a king book.

MY MAN, she thought as his seed trickled down her thigh, my man my man my man look what I can do to my man!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ozmaugh posted:

Mileage varies I guess but I'd say he's overthinking things a lot.

I also don't sit around thinking about "my man" after sex or whatever, like pretty much every woman seems to in a king book.

MY MAN, she thought as his seed trickled down her thigh, my man my man my man look what I can do to my man!

Yeah, I think I've repressed a lot of his sex scenes because I don't remember this kind of stuff.

Mind you, I can't think of anyone who is good at writing about sex.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Octy posted:

Mind you, I can't think of anyone who is good at writing about sex.
Harry Turtledove?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Harry Turtledove?

Never read him. Quote a few lines for me?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ozmaugh posted:

Except he's willing to devote pages and pages to that weird thing with Audra at the end.

The Audra-bike thing, I thought, was a good epilogue to everything. The bike tied into being the last bit of childhood that he had, outside of it adding to the general feeling of relief/freedom from being tied into overwhelming evil. Thematically and pacing-wise, I thought it fit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Octy posted:

Never read him. Quote a few lines for me?
Sorry, I was just making a bad joke. Turtledove is known for his horribly, horribly written sex scenes that he just randomly sprinkles throughout his books with no rhyme or reason.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Working my way through Full Dark, No Stars. Just finished "1922". Unless the clues are really loving obvious, I don't try to figure out the endings to books/stories. King got me on that one. I did not expect that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Sorry, I was just making a bad joke. Turtledove is known for his horribly, horribly written sex scenes that he just randomly sprinkles throughout his books with no rhyme or reason.

So he's pretty much like George R.R. Martin?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Octy posted:

So he's pretty much like George R.R. Martin?

Worse. Also by far worse than King.

Just for comparison, let's take a look at this scene from Turtledove's American Front, which I typed up years ago and have had sitting in a text file ever since because I like being able to bust it out in situations just like this.

Harry Turtledove posted:

For him to get out of his uniform, a little later, was the work of a few moments. Once naked, he saluted her without using his hands. He took his time about undressing her, pausing to kiss and caress each new bit of flesh revealed. She sighed with relief when, after detaching her stockings from their garters and sliding them down her legs, he finally peeled her out of her steel-stiffened corset.

"You men are so lucky not to have to wear those things," she said, "especially in weather like this."

He set his hand on her sweaty belly, then let it stray lower. Suddenly impatient, she caught his shoulders and pulled him onto her. He rode her hard, which was just what she wanted. When they were through, he rubbed at his back. "You clawed me good there," he said, sitting up.

"I hope it was good," Anne answered, sated and greedy at the same time.

he saluted her without using his hands

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

drat, that's hot. Got any more?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

he saluted her without using his hands

And now all I can think about is a penis wearing a Confederate dress uniform. Thanks for that.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
In 11/22/63 : The guy that owns the hamburger joint goes back in time to buy his hamburger meat at a discounted price. How many times does he do that and does he have to save that girl from being paralyzed each time?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

cwinkle posted:

In 11/22/63 : The guy that owns the hamburger joint goes back in time to buy his hamburger meat at a discounted price. How many times does he do that and does he have to save that girl from being paralyzed each time?

I think it's implied that he starts off going and buying meat every week for years. Actually, I think there was a number in the range of fifty times. But it's only when he becomes curious about trying to change time that he saves the girl. He does this once (or maybe twice) and then spends four years in there doing the JFK thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cwinkle posted:

Each trip is a reset, so any changes made are reverted when he steps back. This includes saving lives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I finished It yesterday, after reading it 15 or so years ago. I didn't like it nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. Richie is annoying as hell, the rest was OK (well except for...:stonk: ). It's been awhile since I read King so I've forgotten about his love for using weird slang that no one in the history of the world has ever used.

I decided to watch the miniseries, mainly to see how'd they handle the existential end battle, and it was Real Bad. It's like they tried to cram as much of the book in there but with out the pages and pages of motivational backstory that's in the book, so I don't know how anyone who hasn't read the book would know why anyone does anything in the story. The final confrontation is laughably bad, and the movie features the worst man ponytail I've ever seen, on Bill Denbrough of all people. I think people are fond of the movie because Tim Curry as Pennywise scared the hell out of them (he's the only remotely good part of the movie) but if you'd never seen it before, like me, it's loving awful.

One thing that really hosed over my rereading of It is the horrible author wish-fulfillment scene where college-Bill tells off his snooty professor on his way to becoming the Greatest Horror Author of All-time. I know that King is famous for his writer-characters, but Jesus this was blatant.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

zoux posted:

One thing that really hosed over my rereading of It is the horrible author wish-fulfillment scene

Yeah, that was really, really awful. But the one with Ben confronting the coach wasn't much better, really.

Bill Denbrough with a ponytail after someone calls him chrome dome in the book is hilarious.

And I think that the director lamented that a lot of stuff looked lame but there simply wasn't a budget to do much, nor did they have a lot of leeway since it was just a miniseries. But the end was still awful.

I'm on Tommyknockers now, and it's a bit better than I remembered.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read It because I was reading 1963 and got to the part when he went back to Derry, and I hate missing references so I thought I'd go back and read one of my most-fondly remembered King books before I proceeded. I'm planning on finishing the new one, but is there any point to going further with him? I loved him in high school and I'd rather keep fond memories of being weirded out by Desperation and Tommyknockers than turning a jaundiced 30-year-old eye to books to find out they suck now.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I enjoy reading him even if I kvetch about some of his stuff here.

The Shining and Pet Sematary are ones that I reread frequently and really enjoy re-reading. Pet Sematary in particular isn't overwritten; I'm not sure how he pulled that off, really, but he did. That one's worth going back to anytime, I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never actually read either of those. I'll check 'em out.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm overdue for a Salem's Lot reread.

Early King rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ozmaugh posted:

I enjoy reading him even if I kvetch about some of his stuff here.

The Shining and Pet Sematary are ones that I reread frequently and really enjoy re-reading. Pet Sematary in particular isn't overwritten; I'm not sure how he pulled that off, really, but he did. That one's worth going back to anytime, I think.

I honestly believe that Pet Sematary is the scariest book King has ever written.

It seems to get left out of discussion and that's a crime. It's just as good as the big S books: Shining/Salem's Lot/Stand.