Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I've got a game going on right now where my character died last week. We're level 10, and we need a beat stick, so I figured on barbarian. DM allows us to use old 3.5 stuff, so I was going through some books and saw the Bear Warrior class that apparently no one has ever used before.

First of all, apparently I can't stack rage and frenzy and bear. That sucks, but I'll deal with it. However, Frenzy also gives you another attack, so it might be worth it to go frenzied berserker then bear warrior, just to get another bite. DM asked what kind of items I was going to take, and I said that since I'll be constantly in bear form, I'll grab Vow of Poverty and not have any items, just a nice bloke that gives all of his money to the temple of Desna.

So ridiculously min-maxing them (with a 7 Int and Cha, 20 str to start), I'm looking at somewhere around
18 str
+2 race
+8 bear
+2 VoP

= 30 Str. So I'll be clawing for 1d6+10, which isn't bad, but isn't quite great, either. I figure the bonus is that I can grab because of bear, and overrun because I'll be taking those feats. Speaking of:

Overrun has a feat in its tree called Elephant Stomp. I've read it a dozen times and I cannot figure out a use for this feat. Seriously, what is the point of this? You make your roll to overrun, and instead of knocking them down (the point of overrun) you make one attack instead? How the hell would this come up? It seems useless. Meanwhile, Charge Through allows you to target the guy at the back of a group, charge him, and bowl over everyone in your path.

So, should I take a level of Frenzied Berserker just to get an additional attack in bear form? I won't get any of the stat bonuses, but the attack might be nice. And with Righteous Wrath (the barbarian exalted feat) I can pop out of rage/frenzy any time I want and don't have to kill people. Is there another way to boost strength/damage output that I'm not seeing?

Proposed Builds:
Fighter 1/Barbarian 5/Frenzied Berserker 1/ Bear Warrior 3
Fighter 1/Barbarian 6/Bear Warrior 3
Barbarian 7/Bear Warrior 3.

Gonna take Instantaneous Rage ("He casts a spell on you." "OK, I'm a bear."), Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Greater Overrun, Charge Through, and anything else I might need. Will possibly have to do some finagling or leave Greater Overrun out of the equation.

If it matters, we're running Curse of the Crimson Throne and are starting the 4th book tonight. I'd be a member of the Shoanti Moon Clan, using the bear as my totem and Desna as my goddess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Swags posted:

I've got a game going on right now where my character died last week. We're level 10, and we need a beat stick, so I figured on barbarian. DM allows us to use old 3.5 stuff, so I was going through some books and saw the Bear Warrior class that apparently no one has ever used before.

First of all, apparently I can't stack rage and frenzy and bear. That sucks, but I'll deal with it. However, Frenzy also gives you another attack, so it might be worth it to go frenzied berserker then bear warrior, just to get another bite. DM asked what kind of items I was going to take, and I said that since I'll be constantly in bear form, I'll grab Vow of Poverty and not have any items, just a nice bloke that gives all of his money to the temple of Desna.

So ridiculously min-maxing them (with a 7 Int and Cha, 20 str to start), I'm looking at somewhere around
18 str
+2 race
+8 bear
+2 VoP

= 30 Str. So I'll be clawing for 1d6+10, which isn't bad, but isn't quite great, either. I figure the bonus is that I can grab because of bear, and overrun because I'll be taking those feats. Speaking of:

Overrun has a feat in its tree called Elephant Stomp. I've read it a dozen times and I cannot figure out a use for this feat. Seriously, what is the point of this? You make your roll to overrun, and instead of knocking them down (the point of overrun) you make one attack instead? How the hell would this come up? It seems useless. Meanwhile, Charge Through allows you to target the guy at the back of a group, charge him, and bowl over everyone in your path.

So, should I take a level of Frenzied Berserker just to get an additional attack in bear form? I won't get any of the stat bonuses, but the attack might be nice. And with Righteous Wrath (the barbarian exalted feat) I can pop out of rage/frenzy any time I want and don't have to kill people. Is there another way to boost strength/damage output that I'm not seeing?

Proposed Builds:
Fighter 1/Barbarian 5/Frenzied Berserker 1/ Bear Warrior 3
Fighter 1/Barbarian 6/Bear Warrior 3
Barbarian 7/Bear Warrior 3.

Gonna take Instantaneous Rage ("He casts a spell on you." "OK, I'm a bear."), Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Greater Overrun, Charge Through, and anything else I might need. Will possibly have to do some finagling or leave Greater Overrun out of the equation.

If it matters, we're running Curse of the Crimson Throne and are starting the 4th book tonight. I'd be a member of the Shoanti Moon Clan, using the bear as my totem and Desna as my goddess.

Is there something I'm missing about Overrun? It looks like just about the worst standard action you could take, so I hope I'm overlooking something.

E: Also if you're allowed to use old 3.5 stuff, the Barbarian Lion Totem gives you Pounce, so you can do all your bear attacks on a charge. I know you're trying to do bear themes for bear things, but this may be an option you want to look into.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 19, 2012

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Overrun: Say a bad guy is blocking you, you can use Overrun to get behind him. He can either let you by, or you have the chance of just bowling him over. By itself, yeah, it's a bit weak.

Where Overrun really comes into its own is with the feat Charge Through. It lets you target a charge opponent that is blocked by other people, and overrun everyone in front of him to get to him. I.e.:

pre:
B     1  2   3
If Barbarian (b) wanted to charge #3, he could. First he makes an overrun attack against #1, and if he wins by more than 5, he knocks him down. Then #2. Finally, he uses his charge attack on #3. If you have Greater Overrun, anyone you knock down provokes an attack of opportunity (from you and your allies). They also provoke once they stand up. This is in addition to suffering all the effects of being prone.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Swags posted:

Overrun: Say a bad guy is blocking you, you can use Overrun to get behind him. He can either let you by, or you have the chance of just bowling him over. By itself, yeah, it's a bit weak.

Where Overrun really comes into its own is with the feat Charge Through. It lets you target a charge opponent that is blocked by other people, and overrun everyone in front of him to get to him. I.e.:

pre:
B     1  2   3
If Barbarian (b) wanted to charge #3, he could. First he makes an overrun attack against #1, and if he wins by more than 5, he knocks him down. Then #2. Finally, he uses his charge attack on #3. If you have Greater Overrun, anyone you knock down provokes an attack of opportunity (from you and your allies). They also provoke once they stand up. This is in addition to suffering all the effects of being prone.

Charge Through only lets you do it to one opponent, actually.

This gets extremely silly when you have a spirited-charging paladin mounted on a charge-through-ing eidolon with five attacks and pounce.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Lord Yod posted:

This gets extremely silly when you have a spirited-charging paladin mounted on a charge-through-ing eidolon with five attacks and pounce.
Anything can get appropriately silly when an eidolon is involved.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Swags posted:

pre:
B     1  2   3

Even with all of this, it doesn't sound that great compared to a Pounce charge with Shock Trooper and all the Power Attack feats/Frenzied Berserker benefits. If you just want to be a bear and barrel through things, that's cool and flavorful and I like it, but it's just not very good.

Also, if I'm reading Elephant Stomp correctly, the benefit is that you can try to Overrun someone as a charge, succeed, and instead of continuing through them you can stop and take a natural weapon attack on them as an Immediate action, then make your charge attack. Both of these look like they'd be at your full Attack Bonus plus the charge bonus (to the charge attack), so it seems to be a way to cheat on getting multiple attacks on a charge.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Shock Trooper

This seems like a pretty key thing to pick up if you're allowed to play with 3.5 goodies (and may convince your DM to rethink that decision).

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Lord Yod posted:

This seems like a pretty key thing to pick up if you're allowed to play with 3.5 goodies (and may convince your DM to rethink that decision).

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they made this feat. You're AC's going to be poo poo anyway, it would actually matter MORE if it said "subtract the amount from your charisma instead."

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they made this feat. You're AC's going to be poo poo anyway, it would actually matter MORE if it said "subtract the amount from your charisma instead."

Complete Warrior was kind of a mess to begin with because it was written immediately after the transition from 3.0 to 3.5

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Also, as you might have imagined based on the fact that I recorded it for a tutorial, this has allowed us to easily record all of our gaming sessions. Maptool has text transcripts, that get cleaned up and posted, and we also have a live recording of everything said in character with nerdy chortling and people shouting "BOOSH" when the barbarian crits with his greataxe.

All of the recordings are private. I've asked both of my groups if they'd be alright with me sharing a snippet, and if they agree I'll post a combat or something so you can see how it goes and how all the tools work.

I talked it over with the guys and they were all fine with me sharing a video. I just took the last combat we had: 6 PCs against a small band of snow-goblins known as Arotites.

Password is "public". Again, you'll have to full screen it to see anything.

https://vimeo.com/35346448

There are 6 PCs, 2 of which have only played one session before, so there's a bunch of questions and a few rules explanations. We get 5 rounds of combat for 6 PCs and 7 NPCs in 41 minutes, which seems a little slow to me. This group is a "Jam", where we have a pool of 10 players, and the first 6 to RSVP show up. This week, we had two extremely new players, which slowed things down a bit. 6 players is a large party to coordinate, though, so whatever.

Also, I know there was some rule mistakes and I'm sure someone's going to love jumping on them (the large goblin-thing broke out of entangle and still double-moved, etc).

During the video you can see me using the sheet tool thing to roll skill checks (mostly Perception), attacks, marking the area-of-effect for Entangle, etc.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fudge Handsome posted:

Complete Warrior was kind of a mess to begin with because it was written immediately after the transition from 3.0 to 3.5
Speaking of Complete Warrior, and its feats being all over the place, how do the weapon style feats fit in with Pathfinder? In 3.5e, they were some of my favorite ways to make a fighter decent without using a Spiked Chain. (Specifically, the axe and dagger "gently caress you, you're grappled now" style worked incredibly well with the Occult Slayer prestige class and the dagger as your mage-slaying weapon, or any of a number of other stupid tricks like that.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 21, 2012

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Colon V posted:

Speaking of Complete Warrior, and its feats being all over the place, how do the weapon style feats fit in with Pathfinder? In 3.5e, they were some of my favorite ways to make a fighter decent without using a Spiked Chain. (Specifically, the axe and dagger "gently caress you, you're grappled now" style worked incredibly well with the Occult Slayer prestige class and the dagger as your mage-slaying weapon, or any of a number of other stupid tricks like that.)

That's a very good question and one I think is worth looking into. I'll play with the prerequisites a bit and see if any part of those feats needs to change to fit into Pathfinder's combat maneuver system, but I think they could be a nice complement to the unarmed style feats in Ultimate Combat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Unrelatedly, is it me, or is a cleric's Bestow Curse still absolutely insane? Also, Channel Smite, or whatever it's called. I think I'll be making my BBEG a cleric now.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Colon V posted:

Unrelatedly, is it me, or is a cleric's Bestow Curse still absolutely insane? Also, Channel Smite, or whatever it's called. I think I'll be making my BBEG a cleric now.

It's not you. For added insanity, as long as your cleric is an NPC villain you might want to check out the Variant Channeling from Ultimate Magic, which offers several replacements for Channel Negative Energy--some of them give negative statuses, like "sickened" or "on fire," but some of them do added damage based on creature subtype.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Colon V posted:

Lightning Maces + Aptitude Weapon + Keen + 18-20 crit = one of the few ways to make a decent, possibly even mobile warrior in 3.X.

EDIT: Add Boomerang Daze and you straight up don't even have to give a gently caress about damage in most situations, though being exponentially awesome helps.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 31, 2017

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Be careful about hitting your players with Bestow Curse. A coin-flip to lose your actions is unfun (much harder to complain as a DM since you get to run all the opposition instead of just one guy) and the other options add up fiddly tracking.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Be careful about hitting your players with Bestow Curse. A coin-flip to lose your actions is unfun (much harder to complain as a DM since you get to run all the opposition instead of just one guy) and the other options add up fiddly tracking.

In one of my groups I'm playing in, the PCs got captured by slavers. Most of them just got sold into slavery and got busted out while being transported for sale. Since I missed the meeting, I was sold to someone else, and it ended up being a Witch who was using my druid to tend to her garden.

The other PCs eventually busted me out, but the witch Bestowed a Curse on me. We're a mix of level 1-3, in a low-magic world. There is no way to remove the curse until 5th level, unless we stumble upon a friendly NPC cleric.

Every round my druid flips a coin to see if she can act. It's pretty frustrating.

I made the mistake of taking watch alone, and of course a giant spider came to visit. I failed my roll to act, and asked "Can I at least scream in pain?" and the DM allowed a DC 10 Will save, which I managed to fail with a +6. The spider was all set to coup de grace the party's Witch, who rolled a sick Perception check while asleep and was spared such a dishonorable death.

The DM has also allowed some of the herbs and "drugs" from various paizo sources. I can snort some Belladonna or Flyleaf or something, I forget which, and take 1 WIS damage to suppress the effects. Great for my Druid's spellcasting.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Everyone who uses Bestow Curse should use the "make up your own curse" option. It's way more fun.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Inverse Icarus posted:

In one of my groups I'm playing in, the PCs got captured by slavers. Most of them just got sold into slavery and got busted out while being transported for sale. Since I missed the meeting, I was sold to someone else, and it ended up being a Witch who was using my druid to tend to her garden.

The other PCs eventually busted me out, but the witch Bestowed a Curse on me. We're a mix of level 1-3, in a low-magic world. There is no way to remove the curse until 5th level, unless we stumble upon a friendly NPC cleric.

Every round my druid flips a coin to see if she can act. It's pretty frustrating.

I made the mistake of taking watch alone, and of course a giant spider came to visit. I failed my roll to act, and asked "Can I at least scream in pain?" and the DM allowed a DC 10 Will save, which I managed to fail with a +6. The spider was all set to coup de grace the party's Witch, who rolled a sick Perception check while asleep and was spared such a dishonorable death.

The DM has also allowed some of the herbs and "drugs" from various paizo sources. I can snort some Belladonna or Flyleaf or something, I forget which, and take 1 WIS damage to suppress the effects. Great for my Druid's spellcasting.

Yeah, this is terrible and I would probably punch the GM in the face, piss all over his rulebooks, and only then walk out of the game.

If somebody says they want to play in your game, sets aside an afternoon to play in your game, makes a character for your game, and shows up on time for your game, then chances are good they want to play in your game.

"LOL flip a coin to see if you can play the game" is literally The Worst Thing.

I can't think of a better way to tell someone that I don't want them in my campaign (you know, besides NOT being a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat and just talking to them like an adult, but we all know that option's out...)

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

When they busted me out, we managed to escape without the Witch being alerted.

I'm pretty sure if we ever went back, confronted the witch, and defeated her (by force or otherwise), the curse would be lifted, even though RAW it wouldn't be.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Benly posted:

Everyone who uses Bestow Curse should use the "make up your own curse" option. It's way more fun.

Seconding this. For proof I'm just going to cross-post the story I posted in the best experiences in roleplaying thread:

I posted:

One of my favorite stories came from when I was running a 3.5 campaign set in the Forgotten Realms several years back. This story focuses around a bladed-gauntlet wielding, fairly insane, Elven Rogue by the name of Drai-Dan played by my friend Jake.

For some backstory on the character, he was a pretty wild and crazy guy who would do things like, once the rest of the party was tucked away at the local inn for the night, rummage through garbage heaps in the alleys of whatever town they were in to cover himself in discarded vegetables and leap from rooftop to rooftop as "Vegetable Man," crimefighter extraordinaire. I don't think he actually ever fought any crime, mostly just caused trouble and snuck into the houses of various NPCs the party had met, but it was good fun.

Anyhow, at some point during the campaign, Drai-Dan decided to hire a lackey. Drai-Dan was Chaotic-Neutral I believe, but his craziness was starting to lean him toward the Evil side at this point. Basically he was really horrible to the lackey, often yelling at him for no reason and always forcing him to accompany the party into trap-filled dungeons. Eventually the lackey tried to run off in the night, but Drai-Dan (who at this point was a multiclassed Rogue/Ranger) tracked him down and gave him a sound beating for his escape attempt. Around this point the rest of the party of Good and Neutral aligned PCs were starting to get a little concerned about the poor guy's safety so I decided to enact a Plan.

One day as the group was travelling through some mountains on their way somewhere, they encountered a White Dragon and a Silver Dragon in the middle of a fight. The White Dragon was larger and had the upper hard so the party decided to jump in and save the Silver Dragon. This fight was over before it began with a ridiculous critical hit from the Enlarged Orc Barbarian's greataxe, but as the White let out it's death-cry a massive shadow flew over the battlefield and a Colossal Great Wyrm White Dragon landed, ready to completely demolish the party of 10th level or something PCs. The party was thoroughly making GBS threads their collective pants at this point thinking a combination of me and the random encounter tables had conspired to do them in. I let the initiative roll through a couple of futile attacks on the Great Wyrm, but then I sprang my Plan. To the party members' shocked reactions, the lackey ran forward and transformed into a Great Wyrm Silver Dragon! As they sat back stunned at the turn of events, the newly transformed Silver totally beat the crap out of the White and ripped it's head off or something.

After the dust had settled, the Silver Dragon shapechanged back into human form and explained to the party that it had been travelling among humans for kicks and was suitably impressed with their bravery in coming to the Young Silver Dragon's aid. He heaped various rewards upon the party, but when it was Drai-Dan's turn for a reward, the Dragon decided that instead of a material reward, he would save the insane Elf's soul from succumbing to Evil by placing a Curse on him that anytime he tried to harm an innocent he would tranform into a newt! Everyone had a pretty great laugh, but the good times didn't end there. A few days later the party was back in town and some series of events had gotten them in trouble with the town guard and Drai-Dan had somehow ended up in manacles being led to jail. As the party was headed towards the dungeon, Drai-Dan tells me out of nowhere that he lunges at a commoner in the crowd and tries to strangle her with his chains and asks me if he turns into a newt. I say he does and he proceeds to transform, escaping his bonds, and causing enough havoc for the rest of the party to escape as well! This wasn't the last time he'd use his "curse" to escape a sticky situation either, but those are stories for another day.

And then there was the time that the aformentioned Orc Barbarian got mind-controlled and cut my then-girlfriend's character in half (literally) with another critical hit. I miss that group...

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

Cursed story.

This would have been a perfect opportunity for a hook to send you and your party on a quest to remove your curse. But alas, stupid DMs continue to be a blight on this earth.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Mr. Safe posted:

This would have been a perfect opportunity for a hook to send you and your party on a quest to remove your curse. But alas, stupid DMs continue to be a blight on this earth.

The way the campaign is set up is that every time we play, we start in essentially a hall of mercenaries. All of the PCs "work" there, and whoever shows up for a session is allowed to vote on what "mission" to do. Missions usually entail some generic jobs that the hall provides ("hunt this murderer", or "find this object for this guy"), but there are also story-related items for characters, as well as open-ended poo poo like "explore these hexes". We've found ancient ruins and poo poo that we've yet to investigate.

Three meetings ago, they were railroaded into "Save your Druid buddy (me)".

Two meetings ago, they all voted to go on a side quest to resurrect my animal companion. RAW he was dead as a doornail, but the DM made an interesting quest where we had to venture into the wilderness and get his pelt back from some tribals, and then take it to a sacred orchard before the next full moon, complete with an awesome roleplaying scene where the Tiger came back to life.

After that, I didn't really want to force them into ANOTHER "fix Joe's character" mission, so I let them vote however they wanted. "Save her. Save her Tiger. Remove her curse." It's really a lot of focus on my character, when there are 5-6 other PCs that want to do other things. Especially considering the group usually plays once every 3 weeks, I didn't want to hog the spotlight.

So I flip my coin every round and I figure we'll get around to it. If it fucks me a few more times in critical situations maybe they'll vote my way and work to get rid of the curse.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Benly posted:

Yeah, this is really the only way to handle it as DM and certainly the most awesome way as a player.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Safe posted:

Yeah, I make it a point only to use save-or-suck for joke battles, or "holy poo poo dude you rolled a one of course you get Drow Poisoned." The shittiest thing is getting Confused for 7+ rounds when even major encounters rarely lasts more than five or six, and when said combat also takes about an hour. Save-or-suck is perfectly acceptable, however, to allow your players to foist upon the enemy party. Like all games, d20 is an narrative of illusions, and giving your players the illusion of doing awesome things should be your goal as a storyteller. From the player-illusion point of view, "Paladin who dual-wields whips" is fun/ny to fight, and "Sorcerer who throws around fireballs and scary damage magic" is intimidating--just as 50 Ft. Ant says--but "spergtastically and meticulously designed Controller wizard" is loving annoying and boring as poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 3, 2012

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 31, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

So, anyone here playing Society? I've been playing it for several months and it's been great fun. They've got event going on allowing your characters to turn up drunk. Well, I guess your characters could turn up drunk before but now there's a rule for it and everything.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I've played at two Society events, and GMed at one as well. I agree, it's pretty fun, although the experience of repeatedly being dropped into an unfamiliar gaming group is takes some getting used to.

They're fun. The people I've played with have tended to be real "old hand"-type grogs with shittons of RPGA war stories, so they're more used to the whole idea of top-down managed campaigns than I am, but I think it's still possible to get a decent amount of enjoyment out of the situation.

I'm not entirely sold on the railroad nature of all of the adventures. The one I ran, and the two I played, were all extremely modular: Here's a series of tasks for you to accomplish in order; here's your Faction Mission (like in Paranoia); we're going to jump from scene to scene and at the end we'll tally up if you did everything you're supposed to. Obviously it would be hard to run something structured like PS in any other way, but if that's a thing you strongly dislike, PS is probably not for you.

Sidenote on the faction missions: Some of them can be confusing. Some of them can be impossible for your character to fulfill. For example, in the adventure I ran, one of the faction missions required a character to collect a folktale from a group that are introduced attacking the PCs' boat. It did not help the particular PC that he did not realize that the attackers were a member of the fancifully-named ethnic group referred to in the mission statement. As an example of the "impossible" type (by way of background, here, I should mention that PS allows you to use one of their pre-rolled characters as your character for a session and still get XP for your own personal character, in case you left your sheet at home, or the level of the adventure is too high for your personal character, or whatever), in one of the adventures that I played, my faction mission involved decoding a particular inscription. The prerolled character that I was using was not literate in that language. In fact, my actual character wasn't literate in that language either, so it wouldn't have mattered.

TLDR on the above paragraph: Sometimes your ability to complete part of a PS mission is dependent on character skills you were not on notice that you should have developed, or on knowledge you as a player could not possibly possess.

In speaking with other PS players, I gather that this is a rare occurrence, and that most PS adventures do not suffer from that kind of design flaw.

Oh, also, I think in grongnards.txt, or maybe in this thread, there was a discussion of how Paizo's demonstration characters demonstrated that PF fighters ain't poo poo? Regardless of where it was, or the truth or falsity of that claim, I can say that "Valeros," their prerolled fighter, is a piece of poo poo at 7th level. He's a two-weapon fighter, which is to say that he is a ranger without the spells to make up for the fact that one of his attacks always misses.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah, the casters in my groups, between summoned monsters, druid hulk-outs with 3 natural attacks, web/fire combos, etc, are absolutely smoking the martial classes even at early levels. I'm toying with some new single-roll attack rules that will hopefully give the martials an early boost along with nonlinear progression.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm going to put these jokers through a quick fight tomorrow and I've lost my core rulebook amongst the ever-growing pile of crap in my room, so I need a quick question answered: Is miss chance stacking the same as 3.5 where only the highest bonus applies, or did they tweak that at all?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

kalonZombie posted:

I'm going to put these jokers through a quick fight tomorrow and I've lost my core rulebook amongst the ever-growing pile of crap in my room, so I need a quick question answered: Is miss chance stacking the same as 3.5 where only the highest bonus applies, or did they tweak that at all?

For concealment? Yeah, it's the same. Concealment miss chances don't stack.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

some loving LIAR posted:

You are however free to adjust the percentage up or down as you see fit given the circumstances.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

some loving LIAR posted:

More along the lines of "Incorporeal and invisible at the same time".

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Incorporeal doesn't give a miss chance. It gives plain old immunity to non-magical weapons and halves damage from magical weapons. Force damage effects it normally, as does holy water if it's undead, but other spell damage is also halved. Non-hp-damaging spells do have only a 50% chance of effecting the creature, but that is separate from any kind of attack roll that would be needed for something like a Ray of Exhaustion, or whatever. So, in that sort of rare case where they need to make a touch attack for a spell that doesn't do hitpoint damage, there would sorta be two miss chances, though feel free to tone that down if you find it silly, I think I probably would.

Isn't your party like level 1? This seems cruel and unfair. Can't wait to listen to it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

grah posted:

Incorporeal doesn't give a miss chance. It gives plain old immunity to non-magical weapons and halves damage from magical weapons. Force damage effects it normally, as does holy water if it's undead, but other spell damage is also halved. Non-hp-damaging spells do have only a 50% chance of effecting the creature, but that is separate from any kind of attack roll that would be needed for something like a Ray of Exhaustion, or whatever. So, in that sort of rare case where they need to make a touch attack for a spell that doesn't do hitpoint damage, there would sorta be two miss chances, though feel free to tone that down if you find it silly, I think I probably would.

Isn't your party like level 1? This seems cruel and unfair. Can't wait to listen to it.

They leveled up in the third session that was lost to the ages. However, don't let it be said that I never give them any challenges.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Made a Hellknight yesterday. His build is:

Antipaladin (Lawful Evil instead of Chaotic Evil) 5 / Hellknight 5.

Took the bond for magical weapons instead of the fiendish companion. Don't know which Hellknight order to take. Vigilance was pretty awesome (Scourge), but Gate really looks like sucky.

Stats:
Str 22
Dex 08
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 20

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Prof: Dwarven Waraxe (lovely, I know. It's for RP purposes. Is there a better weapon to take?)
Shield Prof: Tower
Intimidating Prowess
Leadership
Antagonize
Some other I forget.

Equipment:
Belt of Strength +4
Cloak of Charisma +4
+1 Dwarven Waraxe
+1 Light Fortification Hellknight Plate
+1 'Fortress' Tower Shield.

Basically, I'm a walking brick that can force people to fight me. I have an incredibly high Intimidate, around +20, good Bluff, and the ability to see through lies and, well, see through 5 feet of anything else. It's pretty neat, and flavorful, but mostly useless. I really wish I hadn't dumped dex, since he's at +3 max dex and I could use the AC, but there's really nothing I can do about it.

Character took Leadership because 1) he's Chelaxian nobility and 2) DM told me I could have a Nightmare to ride around on, which sounded pretty boss.

Problem is, I'm a 10th level character, swinging at +15/+10 for 1d10+7 damage. Even if I pop vicious onto my weapon, it's only 1d10+2d6+7, which seems lackluster. How should I work this out so that I get a bit more use out of him, either tank-wise or damage wise?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

kalonZombie posted:

I'm going to put these jokers through a quick fight tomorrow...

I'm also hosting a web-based Pathfinder game and recording it. I don't have time to watch yours now, but it looks like you're using a different tool and I'm eager to compare experiences. I'll try to watch it this weekend.

I'm a newbie DM, so I chose to run a module. Short-lived, no real commitment if I'm terrible at it. I chose The Godsmouth Heresy based on the reviews and descriptions.

Deep below the anarchic city of Kaer Maga, someone—or some thing—has begun stealing corpses from the city’s most prestigious tomb, the Godsmouth Ossuary. Fearing the worst, the clerics of Pharasma in charge of maintaining the crypts quietly call for aid, not wanting to risk their own members in combating whatever horrors may have crept in from the tunnels and hidden chambers of the legendary Undercity. Yet when the PCs venture below the closed-off sections of the crypt, what they find may be more than they bargained for.

The Party:
- Gnome Wizard (Evocation specialist)
- Human Gunslinger
- Human Paladin of Gozreh (not really a traditional Paladin deity, but he wanted to be an "anti-viking", a Paladin of the Sea, and we just ran with it)
- Human Cleric of Sarenrae (this rear end in a top hat is a veteran and after reading the description made a hilarious undead bounty hunter)

Two of the players are pretty much RPG virgins, so there's a bunch of hand holding. The guy playing the Paladin has played for about six months now, but he played a Cleric/Bard before and never really got the hang of melee combat. Also, I guess I didn't talk to my brother enough because he forgot to buy things on his wizard, and didn't slot spells for the day. My fault for not checking his sheet thoroughly before the session, but I've worked with him and he's ready for next time.

This is also my first time DMing, so I'm sure I made mistakes. I have an initiative tool in Maptool that shows me when people's turns are up, but somehow I still managed to skip people a few times. Feel free to point out mistakes I've made or just give general suggestions to help me get better at this. Also, any little tips you've picked up along the way would be helpful.

We played the first session for about three hours and 45 minutes. They actually got into the dungeon about 50 minutes in, after some brief roleplaying in-party and then with the priestess of Pharasma that gave them their "task", and with the remaining time got in 4 solid encounters.

Don't watch this if you ever plan to play the Godsmouth Heresy module, I guess.

https://vimeo.com/36682107

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Swags: You're kind of at the point where melee tanks are going to be ignored (because flight), you're not going to want to take heat from whatever you're hitting with Antagonize, your AC is kind of bollocks unless you've got some Magic Vestment action going on (which if you're worried about your AC from Dex, I'd take that as a no), and you don't have stuff like Combat Reflexes/Improved Trip/Combat Patrol or a weapon with reach so you can't really force a zone of control to take advantage of Antagonize.

If nothing else, switch your EWP to the Dwarven Dorn-Dergar or whatever, the thing that has 5 and 10 foot reach. Other options are the Ripsaw Glaive, Fauchard, Falcata, and Meteor Hammer. Or you could drop EWP and pick up a Lance, a Greatsword or a regular Glaive, freeing up another feat slot. Drop the shield period (or wear a buckler), you're not a Fighter and Pallies are better suited for damage. Doing so frees up a feat for Power Attack or Combat Expertise, depending on whether or not you want to kill stuff or tank more. Since you have your Intimidate check turned to the nines, go with PA and then turn your "I don't know" feat into Cornugon Smash. Every time you hit a guy with Power Attack, you can demoralize him as a free action.

Stick one of the energy types on your weapon or (whatever thing you fight a lot) Bane for some extra d6es. If you want to make the most of your Nightmare, you're going to have to rejigger a bit so you can pick up Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge, then use a lance. When you are 420 chargin' errday, you don't have to worry about not doing enough damage with your 1d8 + 1 1/2 Str x3 before crits, Power Attack and special properties.

EDIT: Also, use your buffs! You're a Paladin, you have spells. Do stuff with them.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Oh, I have a really dumb question that I haven't really been able to find an answer to:

The party only gets XP from a trap if they disable it, right? Or is it fine if they just get hit by it and survive, or avoid it?

All of the traps in the dungeon have a reset, so triggering it doesn't really "defeat" it.

The Gunslinger was hit by a trapped statue twice, and I didn't award any XP, because it's still more than capable of dishing out more damage.

This party is in a lot of trouble. It has no Rogue, and only one of their classes has Perception as a class skill, and he didn't put any ranks into it.

They all rolled perception checks to search a room with a secret door, and almost none of them rolled over 10. Thankfully the Cleric rolled well.