Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

e: KidDynamite, did some jerk buy you that av because you didn't meet your goals for 2011 or something? Seems harsh to me.

There was a Toxx in W&W for posting in the Ultimate Transformation thread by the end of 2011. As you might guess, most people failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yup I failed because I had to get surgery on my shoulders.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Are you doing lots of skipping? I sort of get that from skipping. I'm pretty sure it's shin splints and I'm basically just ignoring it

The whole dead legs thing I don't know about

Yeah I push through when I'm skipping too but it's pretty killer. The whole thing is really odd to me as sometimes while shadow boxing I'll get numbness in my right thigh. Yesterday was just a combination of everything during sparring. Numbness, tightness in the calves. Everything was just hosed up and I don't want that to happen in my fight as my whole plan is to cut angles and basically never be in front of the guy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

swagger like us posted:

This sort of goes along the lines the Grappling megathread was having to do with the Olympics.

Have there been any attempts in other countries to establish Athletic commission/state-centric based amateur competition for MMA?

Here in Sweden MMA is represented in the National Athletic Association by the MMA Association. National championship tournaments are arranged throughout the year in MMA and Shootfighting.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

DekeThornton posted:

Here in Sweden MMA is represented in the National Athletic Association by the MMA Association. National championship tournaments are arranged throughout the year in MMA and Shootfighting.
Works the same way in Finland. When they brought MMA in finland they ran the first championships UFC 1 style. No gloves, headbutts and groinshots allowed, the whole show.
Then someone said "Yo that poo poo is sketchy as hell and we're probably going to ban it if you don't get your poo poo together". Cue the Finnish Mixed Martial Arts Federation and strict amateur/pro rulesets and regulations for competitions.

(Also sup Swede.I don't know how your tourneys work and look over there but the guys that come over here tend to be cool as hell.They show up in time, make weight and fight like mad cunts :buddy:)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I know there's still shows going on in Sweden, like The Zone FC or whatever- but what happened to Finnfight? Does Finland still host pro MMA shows?

It'd be nice if there was actually any shooto competitions going on in Scandinavia. I'd be much more up for fighting with proper protection and shooto rules than full blast MMA.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bohemian Nights posted:

It'd be nice if there was actually any shooto competitions going on in Scandinavia.

There are

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Finnfight went away, but Fight Festival is still pretty big and happens somewhat regularly. There's smaller pro events around the country every few months, like Botnia Punishment, Carelia Fight and Cage.

Shooto does exist in Finland, and has a fairly active competition scene.
It's just they advertise even less than FMMAF (ie not at all), and their tournaments are some of the worst organized sporting events i've ever attended.

At least fighting under SVOL (or FMMAF in londonese) you will always know when and who you'll be fighting and what you should be wearing when you do. Less rules fuckery too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I had a totally awesome experience yesterday. So I went to a karate class and one of my best mates from school is there and he's a brown belt. I told him I do judo and I'd like to show him some grappling so when it was time for sparring I practiced some of the stuff the karate sensei taught us. I just went with my mate for all 8 rounds and with a few rounds left he said we can do striking and grappling. Absolutely dominated him of course (didn't throw him hard, just enough for the pin) and now he wants to do some judo.
Got a totally not-gay hug out of him at the end too. I really hope he follows through and rounds out his game a bit. He's naturally very strong and I've always thought he should be a bouncer or something where he can open a can of kick rear end when appropriate. Also, karate guys are quick as gently caress. His kicks come out of nowhere. If we were going hard in the first rounds of sparring where there my grappling wasn't allowed he probably could have been knocked me out if he wanted to.

VV drat, awesome!

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 17, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Awesome judo class tonight. At the end I went to my coach and said : So... I'd like to start working toward my blue belt. What do you want me to work on? I'm not in a hurry, I just want to focus my training.

Him : Well... I thought I'd give you a blue belt next time I order a batch. Just keep doing what you're doing right now. You have more technical skills than many people who have higher belts than you so you already deserve it.

Pretty happy about all this! Almost makes up for my lovely comp last week-end.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Here's a couple videos of the guys that I roll with doing their thing. I'm not in any of these videos (behind the camera), and keep in mind that these are taken after an hour long class of continuous 5 minute rounds with 30 second breaks. The boys are good and tired, rolling slow and methodical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ToT4GwCN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxnTePSUXGM

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Awesome judo class tonight. At the end I went to my coach and said : So... I'd like to start working toward my blue belt. What do you want me to work on? I'm not in a hurry, I just want to focus my training.

Him : Well... I thought I'd give you a blue belt next time I order a batch. Just keep doing what you're doing right now. You have more technical skills than many people who have higher belts than you so you already deserve it.

Pretty happy about all this! Almost makes up for my lovely comp last week-end.

What rank does blue belt correspond to? Sankyu?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
3rd MT lesson report: kicked in the balls twice.

Do my shins stop hurting so much guarding kicks? At this point I'm wondering if it'd be less painful to just take the kick.

Note to self: stop punching so hard during sparring. Also don't let that guy who's built like a short bear up close so he can pummel you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Antinumeric posted:

Do my shins stop hurting so much guarding kicks? At this point I'm wondering if it'd be less painful to just take the kick.

Note to self: stop punching so hard during sparring. Also don't let that guy who's built like a short bear up close so he can pummel you.

Wear a cup.

Yep. Wait until you have a kick blocked, though.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Antinumeric posted:

Get a cup. One of my friends trained in Thailand for a year, had 4 fights in Rajadamnern, and 2 in Lumpinee, came back and on his first day back training got hospitalized by a low kick which landed directly on his balls by a 17 year old. Busted a blood vessel or something.

Sounds like you're blocking wrong, especially if it's your 3rd lesson. If you're blocking low kicks, either try to take it on the part of the shin that you normally land kicks with, or even better, on the flexed knee, as if you're kneeing the kick away (this can hurt like a mother fucker, so try not to do it so hard in sparring).

Learn to punch stiffly, but not hard. And you can always clinch the little bears, push and kick away.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

What rank does blue belt correspond to? Sankyu?

I wouldn't know! Progression goes like that : white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black.

I also found this image (we don't do the whole half-belt thing) :

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

KingColliwog posted:

I wouldn't know! Progression goes like that : white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black.

I also found this image (we don't do the whole half-belt thing) :

If I recall my Naginata practice sankyu = 3rd kyu?

ichi nii san shi go rok shich haichi! over and over and over.

Guilty posted:

Get a cup. One of my friends trained in Thailand for a year, had 4 fights in Rajadamnern, and 2 in Lumpinee, came back and on his first day back training got hospitalized by a low kick which landed directly on his balls by a 17 year old. Busted a blood vessel or something.

Sounds like you're blocking wrong, especially if it's your 3rd lesson. If you're blocking low kicks, either try to take it on the part of the shin that you normally land kicks with, or even better, on the flexed knee, as if you're kneeing the kick away (this can hurt like a mother fucker, so try not to do it so hard in sparring).

Learn to punch stiffly, but not hard. And you can always clinch the little bears, push and kick away.

Yeah I had a cup but it broke last week (one of the straps I need to sew it back on) It was just funny as it was the same guy within like 5 minutes.

I don't know if I'm blocking wrong, I kinda block with the front of my shin, almost 90 degrees to the kick about halfway up. Front of my shin to front of their shin. Is that wrong?

It was my first time in sparring, I kinda panicked and got hit a whole bunch. Didn't even think of clinching. This is gonna take a whoole buncha practice. Thanks for your help guys!

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 18, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Any tips on learning how to jump rope? I really wish I learned how to do it as a kid but now Im retarded and Im ridiculously self conscious of how lovely I am at it if I do it at the gym. Any tips?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Obligatory post complaining about cutting weight. Not a big one, but still miserable. Can't wait to hit up the sauna tomorrow morning, and pig out after weighing in.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

swagger like us posted:

Any tips on learning how to jump rope? I really wish I learned how to do it as a kid but now Im retarded and Im ridiculously self conscious of how lovely I am at it if I do it at the gym. Any tips?

Keep your knees and ankles together and don't bend your knees. Just jump straight up.

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus

swagger like us posted:

My usual method is to stay on the balls of my feet and shift my weight from side to side, with a tiny jump in between. I was terrible at jumping rope when I started, but I watched a bunch of youtube videos and tried to match their foot movements (without a rope first), and eventually I got it.
The biggest mistake I see people make at my gym is moving too much and jumping too high, so they wear themselves out really quickly.

do you feel me
Jan 5, 2012
Which martial arts is best for dismantling a gun user?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

do you feel me posted:

learning to use a gun yourself and always concealed carrying and being a crazy paranoid person.

Either that or learn to not put yourself in a situation where you might end up having a gun pointed at you.

There's no martial arts that teach you to be Neo.

--

Also : Except for 2-3 person when I'm at judo, I never feel threatened on the ground so I decided to start working on bad positions/stuff I suck at and keep the more normal stuff for BJJ practice where people are better at defending against it. I'm currently working on escapes from side control and mount and that's all fine I'm making a lot of progress. I also decided to start working on my half-guard and more precisely learning the deep half-guard. Are ryan hall videos pretty much the best on that topic if I want to go youtube-fu on that? Is there any good DVD on the subject?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 18, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

do you feel me posted:

There isn't one. Dismantling a gunman is a last ditch effort if you have no avenue to run away and you're certain that they're going to kill you anyway, you will almost certainly die if you try.

But if you're happy being deluded Krav Maga might be up your alley. They teach knife and gun disarms, though I wouldn't trust any of them to actually work.

There was a Dog Brothers dvd called "Die Less Often" that I quite liked that seemed very believable, it was based on the filipino fighting arts, with knife and gun disarms in mind. The point of the DVD title is that if you attempt such a thing you will be killed nine times out of ten anyway, but with decent training you might be able to bring it down to seven or eight times out of ten.

Basically, don't believe the movies.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Keep your knees and ankles together and don't bend your knees. Just jump straight up.

I think I know why your calves are bugging you.

From a biomechanical standpoint what you just described is asking for lower limb problems. Basic jump roping should include movement in all three joints of the lower limb, but primarily the ankle. Without knee flexion your calf has to absorb all of your weight repeatedly. Long term this will most likely lead to an overuse injury, especially if you aren't use to jump roping.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

do you feel me posted:

Dismantling? None. Getting out of range? 400 Meter Dash.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Antinumeric posted:

I don't know if I'm blocking wrong, I kinda block with the front of my shin, almost 90 degrees to the kick about halfway up. Front of my shin to front of their shin. Is that wrong?
90 degrees to meet the kick is good. Especially if you put your shin out and intercept the swing of his leg, interrupting the speed he's trying to build up.

If you're new, you'll still need to get used to what comes through the shin guards. Just kick the heavy bag a lot and you'll get used to it eventually. It'll still hurt, but you'll be able to work through it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Antinumeric posted:

That's just going to hurt like a bitch for everyone involved and result in some really crappy fights.

Take the middle of their shin either on your knee or the bottom of your shin. Throw your block more to the side than to the front of your body. If you do it right, a perfectly distanced kick will fly harmlessly in front of you. Really important also is to learn to interrupt momentum.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

From a biomechanical standpoint what you just described is asking for lower limb problems. Basic jump roping should include movement in all three joints of the lower limb, but primarily the ankle. Without knee flexion your calf has to absorb all of your weight repeatedly. Long term this will most likely lead to an overuse injury, especially if you aren't use to jump roping.

Are you a computer?

edit:

do you feel me posted:

Ninjitsu. Those Bunjinkan Budo guys have mastered the martial arts to such a degree they don't even break a sweat when they train.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 18, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I think I know why your calves are bugging you.

Well poo poo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In pretty much any physical activity having a locked knee is a bad idea.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
"Hey, let go of my leg!"

Today was a big day for me at grappling class. It marked a transition into a whole new realm of jiu-jitsu.

I will be testing for my blue belt the next time Keith Owen or Pedro Sauer are having a visiting seminar, but that may not be for another few months. We don't usually allow leg-locks for white belts at my dojo, but I wanted to give my partner permission to use them. I asked if it'd be okay to let him use leg-locks, and my instructor Ari said 'you're an honorary blue belt now, you can do them if you like'. I've had guys go for leg-locks on me before, and I'm usually pretty good about getting out of them. I wanted to take the training wheels off, and really let everyone treat me as an equal.

So we rolled, and one of the advanced blue belts knee-barred me right away. And so it begins...

leg-locks and leg-locks and leg-locks...

The biggest difference between a beginning grappler and an advanced one.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Thoguh posted:

In pretty much any physical activity having a locked knee is a bad idea.

The only thing I can think of is touching your toes.

Thank you for your advice Guilty and Kimbo, I only get to go to MT once a week for now, so I need all the help I can get, I'll see if I can do that bagwork.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Ligur posted:

Are you a computer?

:awesomelon:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Fought in the VA Open today. Won the -100kg and got 3rd in the +100, both advanced divisions. This was the highlight of my day, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60Ajul3XIc

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So...I've missed the last 3 sessions for JDK. All of them due to work. I still honestly and legitimately want to continue doing this, but I'm afraid of what the instructor will say if I try and come back. :(

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Tell him you are often busy at work. He won't say a thing either way, he'll appreciate the fact that even if you can't make it for a week or two you just don't flat out quit instantly.

Most instructors understand people have this thing called "life" outside of the gym. It involves getting a nasty case of flu with sinusitis and eating antibiotics for weeks, hurting your knee when you fall off a bike, getting sent to three week work commands, the kids getting sick, vacations and whatever.

I'm pretty sure I'm more right than wrong when I say most instructors hope especially new people don't let this get into their heads and instead suck up missing the classes and then come back, maybe a little behind but whatever, they have their whole life - usually decades - to catch up.

One of the worst things I know is someone coming to a new class or course for a couple of times or a month or two, then having to take a break because Life... and then not having the courage to come back because he or she is afraid people will give you poo poo over it. Why would they? Exactly the opposite.

Missing time and still coming back shows you have some character.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Missing time and still coming back shows you have some character.

Agreed 100%

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah, same here. People are always pleased to see someone coming, no matter what your history is.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey Thoguh:

The backs of my hands are getting pretty cut up and raw from so much rubbing against gi's. Any tips/methods for keeping this under control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

swmmrmanshen posted:

Fought in the VA Open today. Won the -100kg and got 3rd in the +100, both advanced divisions. This was the highlight of my day, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60Ajul3XIc

Watching judo with no real knowledge is awesome, I have no idea who has the upper hand and then someone gets thrown out of no-where.

• Locked thread