Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Tedronai66 posted:

Case: Pick any of these with a power supply under 70 bucks

RAM: This, or something like it.

Alternatively: you could get a silverstone ML03b (micro-atx support) and antec earthwatts 380d for ~100, then the above ram, or some other cheap 4gb kit.
Thanks, you've given me a lot to consider. Adding a hard drive and a remote/ir received would add a little cost, too... but maybe I could get away with thumb drive for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I used the barebones Zotac Zbox E-350 (which seems to be deactivated on NewEgg), a 4GB stick of memory, and a spare hard drive that I got at work, because gently caress hard drives are expensive right now. I think that came out to about $250 total, and it runs like a dream (except when Sickbeard updates the library while I'm watching a show).

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

n0n0 posted:

Thanks, you've given me a lot to consider. Adding a hard drive and a remote/ir received would add a little cost, too... but maybe I could get away with thumb drive for a while.

If you have a smartphone, there are some pretty nice XBMC remote apps available.

Also the Asus ion board I bought a while back came with a remote and an external laptop-cord style power supply.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Tedronai66 posted:

Case: Pick any of these with a power supply under 70 bucks

RAM: This, or something like it.

Alternatively: you could get a silverstone ML03b (micro-atx support) and antec earthwatts 380d for ~100, then the above ram, or some other cheap 4gb kit.

Specifically: (prices in Aus$ so you could probably source these cheaper in the US):

Case and PSU: $35
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16776
(I got what I expected to get for a case+psu at $35, it's a little noisy but it does the job, once in my HT cabinet I can't hear it).

4GB Ram: $32
https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13599
(I could have gone cheaper one this to cut some costs)

Don't forget that motherboard has an on-board CPU/GPU so you don't need to shell out for either, so add a HDD you have laying around for a total build under $200. I rounded down, the motherboard cost me $145, but it looks like you can get it a lot cheaper there so $200 is achievable even if you have to buy a small HDD.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

n0n0 posted:

$9 shipped for IR/Remote, http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-multimedia-infrared-ir-remote-controller-with-usb-receiver-for-pc-1-cr2025-33872

I only needed the IR receiver since I use a Harmony, it's in transit right now will post how well it works (or not) when it arrives.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Factory Factory posted:

How would I go about automating the following:

When I dump a recorded TV program (via CableCard/Windows Media Center) into a specific folder, transcode it to h.264 (with appropriate settings for HD and SD), generate a filename based on metadata, and then dump the transcoded file into another folder. All while leaving the original recording in place.

Theoretically, MCEBuddy http://mcebuddy.com/ will do this, but I couldn't get it to work right for me. I ended up converting to DVR-MS and queuing up those files in Handbrake every so often.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
do you guys ever combine file servers with your HTPC? For example, an HTPC with a 4 drive RAID5 array or whatever inside it? Or do you usually just buy one of the off the shelf arrays and eSATA it or whatever?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Anti-Derivative posted:

do you guys ever combine file servers with your HTPC? For example, an HTPC with a 4 drive RAID5 array or whatever inside it? Or do you usually just buy one of the off the shelf arrays and eSATA it or whatever?

I know people do, but I'll never understand why. Having a big, hit, loud computer with a bunch of HDDs in my living room doesn't sound fun, and I'd anything goes wrong with it you won't be able to use it for anything.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
hmm, i suppose, but in my case the living room is basically the only room in the house other than the bedroom (London). Do you just network attach your storage (if so, do you use wifi or cables) or do you use eSATA or whatever because you need higher speeds?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Server is my office, and I have it connected via gigabit Ethernet. I have a homegrown WHS box full of SATA drives, and have never had a problem streaming anything, including 1080p stuff.

If I was limited in space, I'd get a drobo (or whatever) and hope that I never max it out, then put that behind the entertainment epicenter. I seriously doubt you'd ever need eSATA for anything.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

BattleHork posted:

Theoretically, MCEBuddy http://mcebuddy.com/ will do this, but I couldn't get it to work right for me. I ended up converting to DVR-MS and queuing up those files in Handbrake every so often.

That's looking pretty good, but it's not very configurable. I'll have to wait to see its output, I guess.

Also, I dunno what I was expecting, but the conversion takes quite a while on my HTPC.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Anti-Derivative posted:

Yes, my HTPC has about 7 hard drives in it right now, in an Antec 300 tower case. You can't hear the fans unless you're right next to it.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

UndyingShadow posted:

Yes, my HTPC has about 7 hard drives in it right now, in an Antec 300 tower case. You can't hear the fans unless you're right next to it.

do you have any heat issues with that? I had an antec coolermaster with 4 HDDs and they would die more often than i would like (thankfully RAID 5 is mighty) and I suspect that it was due to heat issues. Also, would there be any issues tipping that case on to it's side to sit inside a TV stand? I accept a full ATX case is going to look balls, but that would at least reduce the amount. Looks like all the air intake is on one side, the front and the rear so it might be okay?

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 12, 2012

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Scratch2k posted:

$9 shipped for IR/Remote, http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-multimedia-infrared-ir-remote-controller-with-usb-receiver-for-pc-1-cr2025-33872

I only needed the IR receiver since I use a Harmony, it's in transit right now will post how well it works (or not) when it arrives.

Received the remote/Ir dongle the other day and plugged it in. It works just fine natively with the included remote but refuses to work at all with my harmony (programmed as a MCE remote) or my actual MCE remote so the IR dongle must be hard coded to only work with the raw codes from the included remote.

I could get around this by using the harmony to capture the raw codes from the remote, it does have some handy custom buttons (like left/right mouse click, alt-tab, media hotkeys) but 5 minutes after plugging it in and trying it, most of the commands stopped working and after several minutes of trying I couldn't get it to work again so chalk that up for $8 of lesson learned, I'm going to buy a genuine Hauppauge and use that, it works perfectly on my other HTPC.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, this is only kinda HTPC related, but I don't know where else to ask. I have an older computer (around 4 years old) with an Nvidia 8800gt in it. I run a DVI-HDMI cable from it to my HDTV currently. Obviously audio doesn't carry over this. This wasn't a problem before, but in my new apartment my computer and speakers are much further from the TV than before and the sound situation is not as good.

I'm wondering if there's a cable or adapter where I can connect my video card's DVI and an audio cable from my motherboard's sound card, and then have an HDMI cable coming out of the other side of that to get audio and video to the TV. Does this exist? Some kind of signal fuser for audio+dvi->HDMI.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yep, DVI + audio (either stereo RCA or SPDIF/coax) to HDMI converters:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

UndyingShadow posted:

This is basically my setup. It's not anywhere near the TV, I use really long cables.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Anti-Derivative posted:

I have mine combined as well. No RAID, though, just 3 2TB 5K RPM drives and a 40GB OS drive. Noise isn't an issue at all using an Antec mini P180 case and a large heatsink with a low RPM 120mm fan on the CPU. I can't tell if it is on or off unless I'm right up next to it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

japtor posted:

Yep, DVI + audio (either stereo RCA or SPDIF/coax) to HDMI converters:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405

Which one do I want if my speakers just plug into a green headphone-style jack in the back?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Which one do I want if my speakers just plug into a green headphone-style jack in the back?
The stereo RCA one along with some stereo minijack to RCA adapter.

Alternatively if you want to go all digital, you can get some USB audio to SPDIF/coax adapter (~$20 I think) then hook that up to that other box.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Really good deal on an excellent HDTV tuner:

http://www.dealigg.com/story-SiliconDust-HDHR3-CC-HDHomeRun-PRIME-CableCARD-Premium-Digital-Cable-Television-with-3-Digital-Tuner-2

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Any recommendations on the cheapest way to run flash video to a tv? Something that can run all the time and is somewhat easy to use? My idea was a Logitech revue, any advice on that ?

Fcdts26 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2012

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know this is only vaguely, vaguely an HTPC question but:

Can anyone tell me if there is a torrent client (for Mac) that I set up that so between certain hours it runs and during other hours it pauses everything? I forget to turn it on every day before I leave for work and never have anything new. It can't be on while I'm here because we are on limited bandwidth and the internet gets lovely.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Could you set up a cron job that would just quit the program at a certain time, and open it at another? Or are you looking for something more elegant? Because otherwise that would allow you to use any program of your choice.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Rrail posted:

I know this is only vaguely, vaguely an HTPC question but:

Can anyone tell me if there is a torrent client (for Mac) that I set up that so between certain hours it runs and during other hours it pauses everything? I forget to turn it on every day before I leave for work and never have anything new. It can't be on while I'm here because we are on limited bandwidth and the internet gets lovely.

utorrent is on mac I believe and it allows scheduling times where it should be using less bandwidth (you can set it to stop completely if necessary).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i get unlimited internet between 2am and 8am (meaning what i dl/ul doesn't count towards my bandwidth quota for the month) so i have utorrent and sabnzbd run only between these hours. in utorrent it's a grid of squares you turn on/off under scheduler.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh sick, thanks guys. :)

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Transmission also has a "speed limit mode" you can set to whatever bandwidth restrictions you want and then schedule it

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
So what's the minimum spec I need to actually do Netflix HD on a htpc? e-350 obviously doesn't cut it. I was thinking an a6-3500 or something.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
For the last year I've been running XBMC, Sickbeard,Couchpotato, and SABnzbd on an old headless laptop with a 2TB usb hard drive, attached to my TV via VGA and my soundbar via RCA. I desperately want to get something more streamlined, better performing, and sensible, but am pretty lost on what would be the right way to go.

The OP is nearly 3 years old, and AVS is borderline incomprehensible. Most of the posts in this thread seem to be troubleshooting rather than success stories, so I'd like to know, does anyone have a build/setup that they're truly and completely happy with?

My budget is $400-$500, and ClearQam tuning/DVR functionality would be nice-to-have but not necessary. The box is going into the bedroom, so noise is an issue, but I live in an apartment, so there's not a ton of good places to stick a server or NAS either. Thoughts?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm using a box I built out of the ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe. The power supply is laptop style so there is no fan blowing, and it comes with a remote that is pretty easy to set up with xbmc.

I think there are newer versions out now, but I'm running all the same programs you are with no problems. 1080p works fine, and you can stuff it in any mini-ATX case you want.

The only slowdowns I've noticed are when my laptop is backing up over the network, but that manifests mostly as taking forever for the save file dialog to pop up when I'm trying to save something from the web to the queue directory, and sometimes the first video I play on a given day takes a couple of seconds to start. I have no idea why that is, but it only happens once, so I don't really notice it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

cornface posted:

I'm using a box I built out of the ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe. The power supply is laptop style so there is no fan blowing, and it comes with a remote that is pretty easy to set up with xbmc.

I think there are newer versions out now, but I'm running all the same programs you are with no problems. 1080p works fine, and you can stuff it in any mini-ATX case you want.

The only slowdowns I've noticed are when my laptop is backing up over the network, but that manifests mostly as taking forever for the save file dialog to pop up when I'm trying to save something from the web to the queue directory, and sometimes the first video I play on a given day takes a couple of seconds to start. I have no idea why that is, but it only happens once, so I don't really notice it.

A couple of questions; what do you use for the main system drive and for storage? Do you see any slowdowns when SABnzbd is un-raring a download while you're playing a video, or do you schedule your downloads and such for idle times? How much RAM have you got in there? Got a link to a laptop-style hard drive I can take a look at?

I run into the same slow-down on the first video I play after a while, so I think it may be something in the power-saving profile for the USB ports or the USB drive spinning up.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

bam thwok posted:

A couple of questions; what do you use for the main system drive and for storage? Do you see any slowdowns when SABnzbd is un-raring a download while you're playing a video, or do you schedule your downloads and such for idle times? How much RAM have you got in there? Got a link to a laptop-style hard drive I can take a look at?

I run into the same slow-down on the first video I play after a while, so I think it may be something in the power-saving profile for the USB ports or the USB drive spinning up.

I honestly can't remember the brand of drive that's in it now because I've swapped it out a couple of times. I want to say it is a 2TB WD Caviar Green desktop SATA drive. I have everything on the one drive and just have the OS partitioned off from /home and leave all my sickbeard/sabnzbd/xbmc configs and downloads in /home.

I'm a reformed file hoarder and I delete crap I'm never going to watch again fairly regularly, though.

I've never had downloads or sickbeard/sabnzbd affect watching videos at all. Since the video processing is mostly all offloaded to the video card it doesn't really consume much in the way of resources. I don't schedule them at all.

I have 2GB of RAM which has been plenty.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
bam the wok read through these two links which will help you get a grasp on what you want perhaps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=94199
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=843683#post843683

I have a Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U and its completely silent and has played everything I have thrown at it in xbmc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ceton reduced the price for their 4 tuner (PCIe or USB) to $200:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57381343-58/get-a-ceton-infinitv-4-tuner-for-$199/

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
I just want to be able to stream MLB.TV and 1080p movies from a laptop/netbook to my 52inch TV. Would anything with a HDMI out pretty much do the trick? I'm looking to go cheap as possible. Mostly it's for MLB.TV.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

bam the wok read through these two links which will help you get a grasp on what you want perhaps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=94199
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=843683#post843683

I have a Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U and its completely silent and has played everything I have thrown at it in xbmc.

Thanks. I'm liking the ZBox; do you also use it as a sabnzbd box or have you got a separate server?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I do all my file storage and SAB work on a separate server in my closet. It could do the work fine, but I could see it bogging your video down during playback if it tried to unpack something.

A lot of people have also been using the HP N40L for a htpc and storage setup since its a small box that can play 1080p and also holds up to 6 hard drives. Maybe that would work for you?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

irrelevant, I just bought a boxee. It is everything I have ever wanted, so far.

Telex fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Telex posted:

irrelevant, I just bought a boxee. It is everything I have ever wanted, so far.

Yessss, :getin: