Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
With the archidon or molik hes almost good! (still not that good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I've decided on going with my friend who wants to do the Skorne/Magnus gently caress you Cygnar alliance (totally not because my other friend is an excellent Cygnar player and may be in an alliance with Trollbloods to make us miserable) and now I'm left totally out of my depth in a fresh army!

So basically, I want an infantry heavy army to start with because the core fluff plan for this is to be a slaving army who wants to take people alive and not smashed under monster-foot. Does any warlock special shine as an infantry leader?

My other plan was a Zaal focused 'rage of the ancestors' kinda thing to expand the empire, and all this talk of Zaal being cool doesn't help!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Glitterbomber posted:

So I've decided on going with my friend who wants to do the Skorne/Magnus gently caress you Cygnar alliance (totally not because my other friend is an excellent Cygnar player and may be in an alliance with Trollbloods to make us miserable) and now I'm left totally out of my depth in a fresh army!

So basically, I want an infantry heavy army to start with because the core fluff plan for this is to be a slaving army who wants to take people alive and not smashed under monster-foot. Does any warlock special shine as an infantry leader?

My other plan was a Zaal focused 'rage of the ancestors' kinda thing to expand the empire, and all this talk of Zaal being cool doesn't help!

Pretty much everyone but Morghoul and Naaresh (and maybe Hexeris, he can go both ways) are big on infantry support. Makeda, Xerxes, Zaal, Mordikaar, and Rasheth have either lots of infantry buffs and movement tricks, or use infantry for their shenanigans. Rasheth's theme list can use any Minion unit, which fits with the slaver theme (especially with Taskmasters).

Edit: Fluffwise, Makeda and Xerxes are the actual warlords of the faction, in case that helps.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
NO MORE ARMIES UNTIL I AM GOOD WITH TROLLS!

... or my 80 model Legion army is painted, and COLOSSALS is out. Let's face it, I am too ADHD to actually be good at this or chess.

I am looking forward to painting:
Heavies:
2 Angelius
1 Carnivean
1 Proteus
2 Ravagore
2 Scythean
1 Seraph
1 Typhon

Lights:
2 Nephilim Bolt Thrower
1 Raek

Lesser:
2 Harrier
6 Shredder
2 Stinger

I am not looking forward to painting:
Everblight Units

I think my first step for my Everblight force is going to be creating the bases. That actually made painting my Trolls SOOO much easier. I did all 50+ bases at the same time.

It is really nice to be able to take your base coated miniature, and put him on a mostly finished base. It give you a good feeling of accomplishment. Also, it puts you light-years ahead of 90% of players.

Edit: In order to prepare for this PAINT-OCALYPSE, I sent all the Legion I painted a year ago to a vacation at the Simple Green Spa Resort.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 17, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zaal, Makeda1, Makeda2, Mordikaar, Xerxis are going to be your best "run infantry warlocks"

Zaal: has a feat fueled by your own dead warrior models. Can turn average chumpy infantry into basically auto-hitting, 4d6 damage monsters. He can also run immortals, which are the coolest looking models in the game.

Makeda1: feat brings back dead dudes, as long as at least 1 guy is left in the unit. Works extremely well with any shield wall infantry (cetratii) as well as Ferox cav and venator reivers (pinecone gun dudes). She has carnage, so low MAT infantry are not an issue at all. Her spell list is basically the best in the entire faction, but shes only got fury 6.

Makeda2: Makes all of our infantry 2" faster per turn with road to war. Can be a great "jam the scenario" caster with a bunch of immortals or nihilators. Gives swordsmen vengeances. Doesnt really do much else for infantry though, shes typically considered a better beast slinger.

Xerxis: Ever wanted to run a troll brick? Nows your chance! Makes infantry smash poo poo dead. Doesnt make them any better at hitting though, so take high MAT stuff like cetratii, arcuarii, nihilators, bronzebacks, etc.

Mordikaar: If you want to grind, this is your man. He generally works well with 2 large infantry mobs. One gets banishing ward, one gets hollow. Typically this means your whole army has tough, because one of those units is nihilators. So all tough single wound infantry + revive as a spell = your dudes just hang around forever, jamming scenarios. Mordikaar is the king of dice down at tourneys.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
[Flipswitch, what he meant by the jacks being different is that the normal Khador Heavy Warjack kit comes with a bunch of parts, so you can magnetize arms/ heads and run like 4 different warjacks from one model. The battlebox ones are just the parts you need to make those 2 khador jacks, no extra parts included.

dexefiend posted:

NO MORE ARMIES UNTIL I AM GOOD WITH TROLLS!

... or my 80 model Legion army is painted, and COLOSSALS is out. Let's face it, I am too ADHD to actually be good at this or chess.

Backlog chat!

I've gotta get the motivation this weekend to finish:

10 Winterguard
3 Winterguard Rocketeers
1 Winterguard officer
1 Winterguard standard bearer
epic Irusk
Kovnik Joe
2 Kossite Woodsmen
2 Riflemen
1 War puppy
and my wife's cleric for 4e.

They're all sitting in my work area taunting me. I primed them but put off painting them because I ran out of bases and Mechrite red (Khador red base is too bright for my liking). With my luck my order from Miniature Market will come today and I'll have to work on it this weekend.

In other related Warmachine stuff, has anyone experience with the Merc Troll unit listed in Prime MkII? I am so tempted to pick up some Boomhowlers because I like the troll aesthetic but I don't want to have to start a new army.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 17, 2012

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Verdugo posted:

In other related Warmachine stuff, has anyone experience with the Merc Troll unit listed in Prime MkII? I am so tempted to pick up some Boomhowlers because I like the troll aesthetic but I don't want to have to start a new army.

My biggest regret in my WM/H gaming life is the fact that I waited 3 years to finally buy Boomy and Co. They are hands-down the best merc (and possibly of all factions) tarpit in the game.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

KingMob posted:

My biggest regret in my WM/H gaming life is the fact that I waited 3 years to finally buy Boomy and Co. They are hands-down the best merc (and possibly of all factions) tarpit in the game.

They really are impressive. Friend of mine was always yelling at the Cutthroats, eventually he picked up B&Co, never looked back. Wouldn't be surprised if he threw the Cutthroats into a river. I can definitely say I have been sad at the increased viability of his Merc army.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Are these older warjacks worth anything anymore? I have some random old stuff, and I really don't think I'm gonna play this game anytime soon. I have, like, some assorted Khador stuff and a Cryx battlebox.

The Khador stuff is painted to a decent degree, but is bright pink and purple.

I guess my real question is, is this stuff worth trying to sell or will I not get anything for it and should I just keep it around in case the fancy ever strikes me again.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

KingMob posted:

You don't like to take assaulting Nyss in your Cygnar army?

Maybe it's because Nyss are amazing for Khador and Circle, but I really like them. On the other hand, I think that there are tons of really stellar merc units. I remember IRSMART played against me using a Caine list that took shieldgunners so he could rank fire over them. Actually I am pretty unsure what the unit was and who the caster were, but it was a nice combo.

Skorne and Gatormen also come to mind.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are these older warjacks worth anything anymore? I have some random old stuff, and I really don't think I'm gonna play this game anytime soon. I have, like, some assorted Khador stuff and a Cryx battlebox.

The Khador stuff is painted to a decent degree, but is bright pink and purple.

I guess my real question is, is this stuff worth trying to sell or will I not get anything for it and should I just keep it around in case the fancy ever strikes me again.

You'll probably be selling at 50% off store price at best. I have two or three 40k armies and my first ever WHFB army still together because I like them and because selling them can be a pain in the rear end unless you are a hobby store regular.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Skorne is way too cool, I don't know if I can resist them for any amount of time. I'm especially interested in Zaal, because Immortals and Ancestral Guardians are some of the coolest models in the game in my opinion, but is his tier list worth it at all?

I'm thinking something like:
System: Hordes
Faction: Zaal - Immortal Host
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 2
Supreme Aptimus Zaal & Kovaas (*5pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Immortals (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Hakaar the Destroyer (4pts)

I really just want to max out on cool stone warriors but I realize I need some sort of living models to keep them powered with souls, and fury generation from beasts, I'm having a hard time balancing all three.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

gobbledygoat posted:

I really just want to max out on cool stone warriors but I realize I need some sort of living models to keep them powered with souls, and fury generation from beasts, I'm having a hard time balancing all three.

As mentioned earlier, Zaal's theme list is great; I'm currently in the lead in our Gnarls league, due mainly to his tier. What's great about it is that you actually don't need the living models; if you go to Tier 3, you get at least 6 souls to start with (assuming you take the minimum of two Soulwards), and Zaal can already spend fury to create more, giving you all the souls you'll need for the game. Also, you can run incredibly beast-light with the help of Aptimus Marketh; my 35-pt Zaal list has only 3 lights. Here's what I've been running:

Skorne
Immortal Host (Supreme Aptimus Zaal)
(Tier 3)
PCs: 35 / 35
20 models

[00] Supreme Aptimus Zaal (0 / 5 WB)
[03] >> Aptimus Marketh
[05] >> Cyclops Brute
[05] >> Cyclops Savage
[05] >> Cyclops Shaman
[04] Hakaar the Destroyer
[03] Ancestral Guardian
[03] Ancestral Guardian
[02] Extoller Soulward
[02] Extoller Soulward
[08] Immortals (9 grunts)

Granted, the list you posted is still pretty good, but I'm just pointing out that you have a lot of flexibility when making a Zaal tier list, because you can completely get around balancing factors you otherwise would have to. I would suggest replacing the second Gladiator with a Savage and Marketh, however, because Marketh lets you juggle Last Stand, and the all of the soul tokens plus Zaal's feat gets a lot of mileage out of Prescience.

That said, if you really want to max out Immortals & Ancestral Guardians, you can build toward this one at 50 pts:

Skorne
Immortal Host (Supreme Aptimus Zaal)
(Tier 4)
PCs: 50 / 50
32 models

[00] Supreme Aptimus Zaal (0 / 5 WB)
[03] >> Aptimus Marketh
[04] >> Basilisk Krea
[05] >> Cyclops Brute
[05] >> Cyclops Savage
[05] >> Cyclops Shaman
[04] Hakaar the Destroyer
[03] Ancestral Guardian
[03] Ancestral Guardian
[03] Ancestral Guardian
[02] Extoller Soulward
[02] Extoller Soulward

Yes, it's gimmicky, and I wouldn't recommend it for a tournament, but if you like theme, it's a fun as hell list (and you'd be surprised how much having an army of constructs can gently caress with your opponent's abilities).

Edit: Point of warning, the big downside is that, if you want to expand into other warlocks, you'll probably have to buy entirely new infantry, since all of these stone dudes (except Hakaar) don't mesh as well with other warlocks.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 18, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Finished a WW Stalker for my wife's Circle force:

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Zaal is cool, but I couldn't imagine a list without Titans. They're so dreamy :allears:

Also, another Zaal question: can you use Awakened Spirit on a Shaman to let it use any animus for free? Especially with Marketh using souls to upkeep it on him...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The other downside to teh Zaal theme lists is no access to pathfinder, which can be a big problem.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Acceptableloss posted:

Awesome. How did you do that finish on the sword?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tanon posted:

Zaal is cool, but I couldn't imagine a list without Titans. They're so dreamy :allears:

Also, another Zaal question: can you use Awakened Spirit on a Shaman to let it use any animus for free? Especially with Marketh using souls to upkeep it on him...

Id say yes, the wording is that the shaman can use any animus in control "as its own"

You will usually find that Zaal is chilling on a pile of fury, not knowing what to do with it a lot of turns. Cycling last stand will use 2, and giving souls to your AGs is 1, and upkeeping is 1 or 2.

I almost always run an agonizer to dump that extra fury on non-critical turns.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yes, yes you can.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
That's... really snazzy. Allows you to save Fury on your caster, your beatstick, and your Shaman. Interesting.

Also, Mordikaar really strikes me as a good scenario caster. A really good area denial feat, plus Hollow and Revive make it easier for units to contest and hold areas. Swordsmen or Cetrati with Hollow, Nihilators with Banishing Ward, the Tyrant Commander for mass Reveille, and Revive as needed. Run the swordsmen up from to die and feed Mordikaar souls to Revive them back. Hmm. He's very interesting.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PaintVagrant posted:

The other downside to teh Zaal theme lists is no access to pathfinder, which can be a big problem.

I've noticed that, but it's never been an insurmountable problem for me, even against casters with Inhospitable Ground. You're unlikely to get the alpha strike yourself, anyways (unless you run Ferox, which are allowed in tier); The way I run Zaal, it's all about the counter-punch.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Tanon posted:

That's... really snazzy. Allows you to save Fury on your caster, your beatstick, and your Shaman. Interesting.

Also, Mordikaar really strikes me as a good scenario caster. A really good area denial feat, plus Hollow and Revive make it easier for units to contest and hold areas. Swordsmen or Cetrati with Hollow, Nihilators with Banishing Ward, the Tyrant Commander for mass Reveille, and Revive as needed. Run the swordsmen up from to die and feed Mordikaar souls to Revive them back. Hmm. He's very interesting.

Not to mention all your infantry being Tough and Fearless. Add in Gatormen Posse with the Taskmaster for even more Tough and Fearless, and feed of the delicious tears of your opponents.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
I've got a question to you Skorne players out there. I've been looking at picking up the faction proper and one of the casters I've been looking at to start with is E Hexeris. Mostly this is because I can't wait to use Ashes to Ashes against the Menoth players but also because I play Khador and having a caster who plays like Gaspy is a cool novelty.

What sort of lists do you guys come up with for this guy? I'd like to try making some sort of shooting list with him to start with, if only because I've managed to get a pair of Cannoneers for cheap. With the Raider coming out, you can have those guys put out some Range 16, Magical Cannon shots with Eyeless Sight to boot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Acceptableloss posted:

This is pretty sweet dude.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Acceptableloss posted:

What up paints circle stuff for their wife buddy. Nice job!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chicken Slayer posted:

I've got a question to you Skorne players out there. I've been looking at picking up the faction proper and one of the casters I've been looking at to start with is E Hexeris. Mostly this is because I can't wait to use Ashes to Ashes against the Menoth players but also because I play Khador and having a caster who plays like Gaspy is a cool novelty.

What sort of lists do you guys come up with for this guy? I'd like to try making some sort of shooting list with him to start with, if only because I've managed to get a pair of Cannoneers for cheap. With the Raider coming out, you can have those guys put out some Range 16, Magical Cannon shots with Eyeless Sight to boot.

Lord Arbiter Hexeris (*6pts)
* Basilisk Drake (4pts)
* Cyclops Raider (5pts)
* Cyclops Shaman (5pts)
* Titan Cannoneer (9pts)
* Titan Sentry (9pts)
Nihilators (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer (3pts)
Venators Reivers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Venators Reiver Officer & Standard (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)
Extoler Soulward (2pts)

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Awesome. How did you do that finish on the sword?

The base is Gnarls Green and the tip is VMA Silver. Everything in between is a wet blend of the two. I use Liquitex slow-dri for the blending.

Fyrbrand posted:

This is pretty sweet dude.

crime fighting hog posted:

What up paints circle stuff for their wife buddy. Nice job!

Thx!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got done painting up a stormcaller as my Cygnar test model and holy poo poo I love how this guy turned out. Can't wait to paint some of the rest of this poo poo. Blue owns.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
So, is there a place I can read up on the setting a bit more? I jsut realized I have no clue what the Marrowans are all about. I realized this when I noticed that Cygnar now has what is basically a paladin war caster. She any good?

EDIT: Also looking at some of these photos makes me feel inadequate as a painter, hehe.

Bellicose Buddha fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 18, 2012

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

PaintVagrant posted:

Try playing Protectorate sometime. Pathfinder is almost an entirely foreign concept to us.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So, is there a place I can read up on the setting a bit more? I jsut realized I have no clue what the Marrowans are all about. I realized this when I noticed that Cygnar now has what is basically a paladin war caster. She any good?

EDIT: Also looking at some of these photos makes me feel inadequate as a painter, hehe.

Ironically, she works better with mercs, just spamming troops across the table.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Pfhreak posted:

Try playing Protectorate sometime. Pathfinder is almost an entirely foreign concept to us.

Dont KEE come with it?

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Dont KEE come with it?

Only if you buy the UA. :smith:

Of course, that's what we have Rhupert and Saxon for, right? :unsmith:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Given that the UA also comes with Sacred Ward (well, Purity, which is almost as good), that's hardly an onerous requirement. At least the Pathfinder sticks around when some rear end in a top hat blows up your standard bearer.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Bellicose Buddha posted:

She's great as a Mercenary caster because she can still use her personal jack while having a horde of cheap Reach bodies to throw in the way. Ironically, she runs almost as good of a Steelhead list as Damiano. She's one of the Mercs better scenario casters.

As for eHexy, he works really well with most lists, from what I've seen. You don't really want to run him beast heavy, but he freaking rocks the hell out of infantry, especially with the Reiver CRA cascade and A2A in the back of a Nihilator/Swordsman next to a bunch of Kayazy or Winter Guard.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Paper Kaiju posted:

As mentioned earlier, Zaal's theme list is great; I'm currently in the lead in our Gnarls league, due mainly to his tier. What's great about it is that you actually don't need the living models; if you go to Tier 3, you get at least 6 souls to start with (assuming you take the minimum of two Soulwards), and Zaal can already spend fury to create more, giving you all the souls you'll need for the game. Also, you can run incredibly beast-light with the help of Aptimus Marketh; my 35-pt Zaal list has only 3 lights. Here's what I've been running:

~sweet Zaal lists~

Edit: Point of warning, the big downside is that, if you want to expand into other warlocks, you'll probably have to buy entirely new infantry, since all of these stone dudes (except Hakaar) don't mesh as well with other warlocks.

Awesome, I completely forgot Marketh counted as an Extoler. My only concern with the 35 list is how would you deal with high armour? Most people I play with are Warmachine players and I've had trouble with their high armour 'jacks before, so I'm rather wary of it.

Also, would the Praetorian Karax be better suited to the list than then Swordsmen? I've heard good things about them and they seem easier to keep alive, until I kill them.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Pfhreak posted:

Well, that's only a real problem for us with masters formats. In standard steamrollers you can still play your list that has Rupert/Orick all day long. :v:

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

Pretty much all theorymachine here, but I think if you turn that BBox heavy into a cyclone, use the charger and add a hunter or hammersmith and field junior with a unit of merc infantry (if you already have them) you'd be well on your way. Adding a squire would probably be a good idea too.

Thanks for the advice! Went a bit crazy and bought like $300 of new models last night. Things that caught my fancy, mostly, but also what you recommended.

Cyclone-Hunter with Kraye looks like fun. And Charger! Also Rangers and a Squire.

Also picked up Fiona and some Press Gangers, some Long Gunners for Llael, a Nomad because that is just a great jack.. Other things. The press ganger nearby thought I meant it was all for a Kraye list and he looked so distraught.

Yes, I am going to run Kraye with long gunners and Sea Dogs! (No I'm not)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gobbledygoat posted:

Awesome, I completely forgot Marketh counted as an Extoler. My only concern with the 35 list is how would you deal with high armour? Most people I play with are Warmachine players and I've had trouble with their high armour 'jacks before, so I'm rather wary of it.

Also, would the Praetorian Karax be better suited to the list than then Swordsmen? I've heard good things about them and they seem easier to keep alive, until I kill them.

Between feat and last stand and charging, it would take 4 immortals to scrap most heavy jacks/beasts. Or 1 Hakaar with full souls. Or 1 cyclops savage.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Locomotive breath posted:

Only if you buy the UA. :smith:

Of course, that's what we have Rhupert and Saxon for, right? :unsmith:

Whoa, I had never really looked at Saxon before... Time to make a tiny investment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pfhreak posted:

Whoa, I had never really looked at Saxon before... Time to make a tiny investment!

:(

Welp, better get to work on paintin' my Cryx then.

• Locked thread