Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Foiltha posted:

On a side note, does anyone know if the QuickFire Rapid works okay with OS X? I run a Hackintosh but I really, really don't want to use the Apple wireless keyboard and I'm looking for a relatively cheap mechanical.

Volume keys and play/pause and stop keys work fine, but back/forward track skip keys don't seem to work. Otherwise it's totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You can always use KeyRemap4Macbook to make things work how you want.

But on that note, I'm about to throw my Filco (brown tenkeyless 40A o-rings) on SA-Mart and pick up a standard Apple USB keyboard. I've been happy with how KeyRemap has worked for getting it to work like an Apple keyboard, but I think I just really prefer the chiclet keys to mechanicals.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You can always use KeyRemap4Macbook to make things work how you want.

But on that note, I'm about to throw my Filco (brown tenkeyless 40A o-rings) on SA-Mart and pick up a standard Apple USB keyboard. I've been happy with how KeyRemap has worked for getting it to work like an Apple keyboard, but I think I just really prefer the chiclet keys to mechanicals.
Have you tried the blues? I didn't much like the browns either.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

jwoven posted:

Do it, get the 87u 10th anniversary edition

Where did you get that? I googled around and all I could find was people talking about it.

Fake edit: The Topre keyboards on elitekeyboards.com are $350, I don't know if I can justify THAT much.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Have you tried the blues? I didn't much like the browns either.

A lot of the problem is the height of the keys, I think. I've typed on laptop style keyboards for years and just can't make the jump.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I just got a Corsair K60 and I almost feel like the included orange rubberized WASD replacement caps feel slicker than the default caps. I'm giving them a shot though; does anybody else have this board and have the same feelings?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Rashomon posted:

Fake edit: The Topre keyboards on elitekeyboards.com are $350, I don't know if I can justify THAT much.

Rationalization: If you buy one, you won't find a better one for the next 20 years. That comes out to $17.5 per year.

(Unless you later want a wireless keyboard... or change your mind about whether you want a variable weighted keyboard or uniformly weighted.)

For what it's worth, not buying one now gives you the freedom to buy one later. When you have more information about how much money you'll have then.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Trisk posted:

I just got a Corsair K60 and I almost feel like the included orange rubberized WASD replacement caps feel slicker than the default caps. I'm giving them a shot though; does anybody else have this board and have the same feelings?

I'm quite fond of them. I actually tried out the number key reds as well, then took them off for a bit, but I ended up putting them back on. Guess I grew fond of them without realizing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Rashomon posted:

Where did you get that? I googled around and all I could find was people talking about it.

The 10th anniversary one (with those sexy, sexy keycaps) were sold in Japan. I wanted one, but couldn't justify the nearly $600 it would cost after shipping and customs.

Not to mention that I already have an 86u.

In Japan, the 103u is $260'ish, and the 87u is the same price. But over on Elitekeyboards, it's a $100 premium for the 87u.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jwoven posted:

In Japan, the 103u is $260'ish, and the 87u is the same price. But over on Elitekeyboards, it's a $100 premium for the 87u.

I feel really lucky for getting my 103u when elitekeyboards had them on sale for 'only' $215.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I have a Filco that I love and that won't be breaking down any time soon. I wouldn't mind investing in a nice tenkeyless keyboard as well, and then be set with keyboards for life.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

jwoven posted:

The 10th anniversary one (with those sexy, sexy keycaps) were sold in Japan. I wanted one, but couldn't justify the nearly $600 it would cost after shipping and customs.

Not to mention that I already have an 86u.

Is it the same case with HHKBs? I might have to pick up a type S or something when I go over there

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

HHKB pro2 is about $250 in Japan, and about $300 on EliteKeyboards.
Doubt you will find a Type-S, though. Not to mention that they really aren't that much quieter than the regular ones, since they (allegedly) just have some o-rings on it.

Here's a bunch of other rare keyboards.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Limited+Edition+Keyboards+you+cant+buy+afford+or+find

The one I really want? IBM Industrial Model M SSK. Only a few of those around (about a half dozen, last I heard)

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

jwoven posted:

HHKB pro2 is about $250 in Japan, and about $300 on EliteKeyboards.
Doubt you will find a Type-S, though. Not to mention that they really aren't that much quieter than the regular ones, since they (allegedly) just have some o-rings on it.

Here's a bunch of other rare keyboards.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Limited+Edition+Keyboards+you+cant+buy+afford+or+find

The one I really want? IBM Industrial Model M SSK. Only a few of those around (about a half dozen, last I heard)

Don't o-rings only help with bottoming out whereas the type-s helps with the key rebound back up?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I had been thinking of getting a Das Keyboard forever and then I ended up buying a Microsoft Ergonmomic Natural 4000 or whatever keyboard because 1) my wrists have been bothering me and it was making me paranoid 2) it was $25 on Amazon. I actually really like this. I used to hate the idea of typing on an ergonomic keyboard but now it's really comfortable and I got used to it with very little learning curve.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I just replaced my Razer Blackwidow with a Das Professional S (blue cherries). Quite an improvement, I must say. The Das just feels "right". Hard to put my finger on it, but it types better and it even sounds better. Its blues are quieter than Razer's. Don't ask me how, they just are. The only exception is the space bar, which is rather loud and the click is distinctly metallic, much different to the other keys.

All in all, I'm impressed. I miss Razer's backlighting, but that's about all I miss about that keyboard.

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?
I have an Dell AT102W. It's built like a tank, feels awesome and sounds even better.
It's ~5 years old and uses black ALPS. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

mackintosh posted:

I just replaced my Razer Blackwidow with a Das Professional S (blue cherries). Quite an improvement, I must say. The Das just feels "right". Hard to put my finger on it, but it types better and it even sounds better. Its blues are quieter than Razer's. Don't ask me how, they just are. The only exception is the space bar, which is rather loud and the click is distinctly metallic, much different to the other keys.

All in all, I'm impressed. I miss Razer's backlighting, but that's about all I miss about that keyboard.

I get a bit of "pinging" with my Das Silent, but I could honestly care less. It's probably because I fire away like a drat machine gunner on this thing.

I'm pondering getting a second one for home. I hate typing on my BW at home anymore. It just feels so drat strange to type on blues compared to browns (they instantly became my favorite switch).

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

wasdkeyboards has their custom designer up for 105 layouts. I'm going to make the poo poo out of some keyboards.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
My crappy Dell has finally given out in terms of the space bar and what do you know?

EliteKeyboards is having a moderate sale on their Topre Realforce keyboards.

How good are the Topre Realforce keyboards for gaming, particularly FPS gaming? Would I be better off getting the variable force model or the 55g one? I really want a quiet, high quality keyboard so the Cherry switches seem to be out of the question for me.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 17, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

fookolt posted:

My crappy Dell has finally given out in terms of the space bar and what do you know?

EliteKeyboards is having a moderate sale on their Topre Realforce keyboards.

How good are the Topre Realforce keyboards for gaming, particularly FPS gaming? Would I be better off getting the variable force model or the 55g one? I really want a quiet, high quality keyboard so the Cherry switches seem to be out of the question for me.

They're great. NKRO, good key feel, they're great boards.
If you can get a uniform 45g one, I'd say that's better than the uniform 55, which is better than the variable force.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fookolt posted:

I really want a quiet, high quality keyboard so the Cherry switches seem to be out of the question for me.

Aren't Cherry Browns/Blacks/Reds really quiet?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Arcsech posted:

Only if you don't bottom them out while typing, which is really easy to do. Putting rubber o-rings on the keys helps silence them further.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Even without bottoming out, they're louder than a rubber dome board. Not to mention the whole spring pinging, the plate, bottoming out, etc.

In terms of loudness, I would have to say that, from quietest to loudest:
Realforce/HHKB Type-S
Realforce/HHKB normal
Laptop scissor keyboards
Keytronic rubber dome boards
Normal rubber dome boards
Cherry MX black and red
Alps linear, whatever color they may be
Cherry MX clear
Cherry MX brown
Cherry MX blue
Dampened Alps
Tactile + Silent Alps
Buckling spring
Alps clicky + tactile

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?

jwoven posted:

Even without bottoming out, they're louder than a rubber dome board. Not to mention the whole spring pinging, the plate, bottoming out, etc.

In terms of loudness, I would have to say that, from quietest to loudest:
Realforce/HHKB Type-S
Realforce/HHKB normal
Laptop scissor keyboards
Keytronic rubber dome boards
Normal rubber dome boards
Cherry MX black and red
Alps linear, whatever color they may be
Cherry MX clear
Cherry MX brown
Cherry MX blue
Dampened Alps
Tactile + Silent Alps
Buckling spring
Alps clicky + tactile

I can agree, whenever I'm chatting to someone online, without fail they say "why is your keyboard so loud?"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Arcsech posted:

Nope. The noise they make when the key comes up is really loud no matter the switch type. If you type slow or keep your finger on the key it's probably not that bad, though. I guess reds are kind of quiet when they come up compared to the other switches, and I haven't used blacks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
My girlfriend just bought (and has, she says it is amazing) a 109-key Truly Ergonomic with blues.

I'm using an old Dell rubber-dome that came free with a used PC I bought a while back.

I am sad. And poor.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I didn't see any recommendations in the OP or the past few pages, but I've got a Model M and my new motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port. I bought a cheap converter on Amazon but it doesn't register/does funny things when I press more than a couple keys.

Does know a basic converter that doesn't do this? Is this what everyone means by NKRO?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Smeed posted:

I didn't see any recommendations in the OP or the past few pages, but I've got a Model M and my new motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port. I bought a cheap converter on Amazon but it doesn't register/does funny things when I press more than a couple keys.

More than two keys? Is that what you mean by a couple? What funny things?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Khorne posted:

Nope. The noise they make when the key comes up is really loud no matter the switch type. If you type slow or keep your finger on the key it's probably not that bad, though. I guess reds are kind of quiet when they come up compared to the other switches, and I haven't used blacks.

They sound like a true keyboard should :colbert:

But if you do touch typing without hammering on the keys, it's seriously not that loud at all. If anything quieter than a membrane keyboard since you don't have to bottom out to get the keypress to register. (however, it's so much more satisfying to hammer away like you're trying to hack the gibson or some poo poo.)

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Just wanted to stop in and say that I still love my WASD with Cherry Browns. It is still an absolute joy to type on -- worth every penny, imo. Though, I would really love to to try the Topre switches on the EliteKeyboards.

You can type fairly quietly on these, but I can't type quickly without bottoming-out the keys, resulting in that loud "clickly-clacky", mechanical sound. Not as loud as the Model M, though, or other really, old-rear end spring keyboards.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

shrughes posted:

More than two keys? Is that what you mean by a couple? What funny things?

Yeah sorry, more than two. For instance, trying to hold Shift-W-A to move in a game doesn't work. I'll also get delays when holding two at a time.

It looks like this is what I should have gotten. Will this work?

Ziotek adapter:http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Keyboard-To-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
My RealForce comes in on Tuesday :unsmith:

I figure if I have a 30" monitor and 24GBs of RAM, I might as well go all the way :monocle:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Smeed posted:

Yeah sorry, more than two. For instance, trying to hold Shift-W-A to move in a game doesn't work. I'll also get delays when holding two at a time.

It looks like this is what I should have gotten. Will this work?

Ziotek adapter:http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Keyboard-To-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS

The issue isn't the adaptor, the issue is the keyboard is only 2kro; that means it will only reliably register any 2 keystrokes at once. There isn't much you can do about that.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

jwoven posted:

The issue isn't the adaptor, the issue is the keyboard is only 2kro; that means it will only reliably register any 2 keystrokes at once. There isn't much you can do about that.

2kro means that at a minimum, 2 keys will register, and modifier keys aren't included in that. Also he's posting that it's a problem now, so probably it did work in the past?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

ppp posted:

2kro means that at a minimum, 2 keys will register, and modifier keys aren't included in that. Also he's posting that it's a problem now, so probably it did work in the past?

Yup, it worked in the past. I've been using my model M for games for years and I can't remember a time when I've run into an issue of pressing too many keys.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
People wouldn't worship the Model M like they do if it was only 2KRO.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Zhentar posted:

I really don't think it's the gamers that buy the Model Ms. The last time I heard of someone I knew buying them it was a head engineer who wanted them for his office computers

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Zhentar posted:

They are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have heard that some PS2->USB adaptors are worse than others.

My Dell AT102W was definitely 2KRO though. I remember ED+space being a particularly bad combo.

• Locked thread