Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Well if everything comes back into play simultaneously you opponent can't attach their auras to their creatures because they aren't legal targets. Your creatures are though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nevermind, I thought that it only blinked creatures and not all nonland permanents, in which case the enchantments would just die.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The auras only die if there are no legal targets. If you have creatures your opponent has to attach attach the auras to them.

Citizen Psmith
Jul 18, 2009

Village Idiot
If I read 303.4g correctly, if there's no legal target for the returning auras, they don't go to the graveyard, just stay exiled.

(Also, "target" is the wrong word to use here, since there's no actual targetting happening; your opponent could perfectly well be obliged to Spectral Flight up your Invisible Stalker, for example.)

Citizen Psmith fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 17, 2012

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just opened a sealed pool with elbrus and stalker :twisted:

Edit: Didnt play it tho

I actually need all the help I can get with the introduction of DKA. The only thing I'm really iffy about is goliath, I know he can be a bomb in sealed.

Edit 2: Turns out Droksol Reaver is pure insanity in sealed.

Edit 3: 3-1. Got blown out in the finals by an opposing....Droksol Reaver. Dang. 4 packs, 4 mythics and a foil hellrider. Not too shabby.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 18, 2012

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Not exactly the strongest of pools I opened in my prerelease: http://i.imgur.com/a7z5t.jpg

Edit: Built this, ugh: http://i.imgur.com/llJ1B.jpg

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 18, 2012

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Citizen Psmith posted:

If I read 303.4g correctly, if there's no legal target for the returning auras, they don't go to the graveyard, just stay exiled.

(Also, "target" is the wrong word to use here, since there's no actual targetting happening; your opponent could perfectly well be obliged to Spectral Flight up your Invisible Stalker, for example.)

Afaik cards can see each other when entering simultaneously, meaning they can aura their creatures as normal

Citizen Psmith
Jul 18, 2009

Village Idiot
I'm not a judge, so would appreciate confirmation if any are around, but I'm reasonably sure that only permanents already on the battlefield are valid choices; see, eg, the FAQ ruling on Dichotomancy.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Stormageddon posted:

Afaik cards can see each other when entering simultaneously, meaning they can aura their creatures as normal

There was a judge on the Limited Resources this week talking about this very issue! Any creature enchantments that are Suddenly Disappeared will have to attach to legal targets when they come in - and the only ones available bill be yours.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
That strange and inexplicable quirk of the rules is why Warp World has the enchantments enter after everything else - so the auras can enchant your stuff.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Auras that are not cast choose what permanent to be attached to in the same way that a clone chooses what it copies - it's done As It Enters the Battlefield, not When It Enters the Battlefield. Ergo your stuff isn't there quite yet.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah, it's definitely a case where the rules are technically spelled out clearly if you're familiar with timing rules and templating, but it's not obvious if you're a new or casual player.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, finally had my first try at a DKA-ISD-ISD draft for FNM. Ended up going 3-0 with a pretty drat good W/G deck. I opened a Thraben Doomsayer and was passed a Deranged Outcast along with a Briarpack Alpha and two travel prep's. This was my decklist in the end:

2 Hamlet Captain
2 Travel Prep
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Prey Upon
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Briarpack Alpha
2 Burden of Guilt
1 Ambush Viper
1 Midnight Guard
1 Kessig Recluse
1 Thraben Doomsayer
1 Deranged Outcast
1 Bonds of Faith
1 Young Wolf
1 Ulvenwald Mystics
1 Voiceless Spirit
1 Blazing Torch
1 Somberwald Dryad
1 Thraben Sentry
1 Villagers of Erstwald

9 Forests
8 Plains

The Burdens of Guilt ended up being extremely useful, even if I did have to leave up mana for them. I was also able to pull off the Outcast/Doomsayer combo once, which was just hilarious. Never had a situation where I used the Fateful Hour bonus, but that's fine with me. I would've loved to have a Mayor with the number of wolves I had, but I'll take a win any day.

So far, I need more practice with DKA, but it doesn't seem to slow down ISD too much. Games were going about the normal clip.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

Auras that are not cast choose what permanent to be attached to in the same way that a clone chooses what it copies - it's done As It Enters the Battlefield, not When It Enters the Battlefield. Ergo your stuff isn't there quite yet.

Incidentally this is how you hit an Invisible Stalker or Thrun or Dungrove Elder using Oblivion Ring + Venser.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Welp 4th sealed, 4th Planeswalker, thanks MODO! My last tournament was pretty cool since I had an absolutely insane deck, featuring Thraben Doomsayer, 2 yes two Skirsdag High Priest, 2 of the vampires that let you sac dudes to give them flying and +1+1 counters if you sacced humans, Garruk Relentless, and I even got the G/B dual land to go with it.

Current sealed pool looks like I am running Grixis, pretty light on creatures although I do have Liliana, Gravecrawler, Diregraf Captain, and a bunch of other Zombies. I am splashing red for a bit of removal and Hellrider, so hopefully this works out well.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Incidentally this is how you hit an Invisible Stalker or Thrun or Dungrove Elder using Oblivion Ring + Venser.

Incindentally O-Ring isn't an aura so no, none of this is true at all ever

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Went 3-1 at a prerelease last night. I put together a green/white beater deck with a handful of morbid creatures, token generators and some undying. Rares were a gavony township, mimnaeus the lunarch, predator ooze and splinterfright. The plan was to throw a bunch of creatures out and ideally start pumping them, but I rarely got the chance. I only managed to pump with mimnaeus once (the other two times he hit the board he got killed) and with gavony township once (though it hit the board more and created situations that were difficult to play around for my opponent). One game I won with a midnight watch and a mask of avacyn. Most of the others came together by enabling a festerhide boar, somberwald spider, or getting a galvanic juggernaut out. Essentially by creating lots of situations where they don't want to block my little creatures, and by the time they realize they need to it being too late. Predator ooze only saw the board once and promptly ate up removal. Splinterfright never ended up being that good despite having tons of creatures in my deck, it always got killed. The last match was sealed by gnaw to the bone, which helped me stall out a werewolf deck. I always underestimated that card because of the scorn towards lifegain (which in general seems to be true), but in innistrad those last few life can sometimes give you all the time you need, and its a great instant to have against werewolves.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

For anyone on MTGO that wants to do DKA drafting, they just opened up the prerelease drafts, 3 DKA. Good luck!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Captain Capitalism posted:

For anyone on MTGO that wants to do DKA drafting, they just opened up the prerelease drafts, 3 DKA. Good luck!

When they screwed up the prerelease sealed events on thursday, to assuage the angry people for the delay, they put up 3x DKA drafts in the meantime and I popped in one. It was a hideous mess and the games reminded me of having unfulfilling drunken awkward sex with someone you hardly know, full of hesitation and ugly revealing moments.

I can't believe griptide is a common. And instant speed. In my two prereleases, it has been by far the most useful card and really slows your opponent down a shitton.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm in a draft right now, and I've got 5 Stormbound Geists and a pair of Niblis of the Breath, because I was the only guy in blue.

Also, seconding Griptide being fantastic.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

meanolmrcloud posted:

I can't believe griptide is a common. And instant speed. In my two prereleases, it has been by far the most useful card and really slows your opponent down a shitton.

Griptide is a functional reprint of Repel, so it shouldn't be too unbelievable.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Anyone else having trouble with DKA events? I had my first two decks not submit on me in drafting this morning, and I had a sealed deck not submit on Thursday. Free cards are cool I guess, but I've played in almost every prerelease/release event since Zendiker and I've had maybe two or three decks fail to submit in the whole run.

Thankfully third draft is going okay. Just stomped a guy who pulled Beguiler of Wills and Havenghul Lich 2-0 with my super janky vampire/spirit deck. I splashed red just for Stromkirk Captain and even with only a handful of vampires he's loving brutal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

Incindentally O-Ring isn't an aura so no, none of this is true at all ever

So when O-Ring enters the battlefield from exile it doesn't get attached to something without targeting? Well I've been playing that wrong then.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

rabidsquid posted:

So when O-Ring enters the battlefield it doesn't get attached to something without targeting? Well I've been playing that wrong then.

No, it has a triggered etb ability that exiles a permanent, just like Fiend Hunter.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Hey, I posted a DKA prerelease sealed video:
http://www.youtube.com/luluscards#p/c/507C28A6012C4A9D

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I would just like to take a post to note how bullshit the 4RR card that makes two creatures fight each other is in limited. I have lost several games where I had a much stronger board position by getting 2-for-1ed on beaters.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Kessig recluse is my number one hated card at the moment.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Kessig recluse is my number one hated card at the moment.

Really? I haven't seen it once.

Also I have a dilemma.

I opened some pretty good bombs for a Grixis deck but I also managed to grab two late pick Lost in the Woods.

What do I do.

:ohdear:

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Really? I haven't seen it once.

Also I have a dilemma.

I opened some pretty good bombs for a Grixis deck but I also managed to grab two late pick Lost in the Woods.

What do I do.

:ohdear:

Sideboard into 43 forest, 2 Lost in the Woods, obviously.

I'm sitting in a prerelease with a strong pool. I'm torn between Into the Maw of Hell and Death's Caress in my deck. I'm running Maw because it gives me the opportunity to deal with spell lands, but Caress would be easier to cast in the deck. Also, are there any cards that seem like I ought to be running or not running? Looting seems kind of iffy, but it does let me toss late game lands for hopefully more fuel.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

p1p1 Foil Huntmaster, well, let's just force RG as hard as we can:

Weird set to try and draft blind, but geez I love every cheap green spell.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Kaebora posted:

I got to live that dream earlier today

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

KTS posted:

This will never stop being the best sideboard tech for limited.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

KTS posted:

seems ballsy, that they lack direct damage and lack mill.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kaebora posted:

It's almost always better to do 1 Lost in the Woods, right? The second one if you don't draw it is going to give them unnecessary outs.

I know this is a fringe plan but it seems like the singleton is better than the pair as it makes it 100% consistent, otherwise they have outs and since you have no interaction it seems like you're putting yourself at the whim of your deck.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sigma-X posted:

100% consistent

You have a less than 50% chance of drawing a singleton Lost in the Woods in your opening hand in a 45-card deck (with mulliganing, obviously).

edit: including the five draws for your first five turns, your odds rise to just shy of 55%.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

You have a less than 50% chance of drawing a singleton Lost in the Woods in your opening hand in a 45-card deck (with mulliganing, obviously).

edit: including the five draws for your first five turns, your odds rise to just shy of 55%.

My point is that if you are sometimes flipping a lost in the woods for your lost in teh woods, a creature is getting through, and so your plan to stop taking damage at turn 5 really means every 30 creature attacks you're taking some damage, which seems like a legitimate clock when your opponent gets to cast every creature in their deck and swing every turn without any impediment.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

My point is that if you are sometimes flipping a lost in the woods for your lost in teh woods, a creature is getting through, and so your plan to stop taking damage at turn 5 really means every 30 creature attacks you're taking some damage, which seems like a legitimate clock when your opponent gets to cast every creature in their deck and swing every turn without any impediment.

I got that that was your point, but I was just pointing out that it's far from 100% consistent. Whether 2 LITW is better or worse is a more complicated problem that depends on the contents of your opponent's deck, but ~45% chance of straight-up losing seems pretty bad, and a second copy would at least greatly increase your odds of getting at least one.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

My friend just finished winning a game against Lost in the Woods - beat him with a "Curse of Thirst" (I think he had a few curses, but just the one ticked him down over 20 turns). I found that particularly amusing somehow.

For my part, I busted a Sorin then built a Zombie deck with 3 Diregraf Captains, some Skaabs, Highborn Ghouls, OK removal (griptides and tragic slips), and couple big flyers (the 4BB undying vampire). I thought it was pretty strong - managed to go 1-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

DontMockMySmock posted:

I got that that was your point, but I was just pointing out that it's far from 100% consistent. Whether 2 LITW is better or worse is a more complicated problem that depends on the contents of your opponent's deck, but ~45% chance of straight-up losing seems pretty bad, and a second copy would at least greatly increase your odds of getting at least one.

I know you mentioned mulligans, but going to 6 or 5 gives you extra shots at it. Or just try and draw the LITW before your opponent kills you, which is...theoretically possible in draft.