Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Holocausplay posted:

This is one of those things that makes me love and hate sabermetrics and wonky blogs about contracts and poo poo, because there are all these talented dudes with jobs as statisticians, market analysts and attorneys who really don't give a poo poo that they're turning in 2,000-word columns for $50. They don't need to care. Although this isn't exclusive to sports journalism. Almost all media review is dominated by happy fans who just want to share their opinions and will glut the market. You can write a smart 1,000-word review of a new history book and not only be on the hook for obtaining your own copy but be obliged to spend 10 hours reading it and cash a lavish $30 check for your troubles.

At the same time, there are enough people out there that are super happy someone is basically letting them read and write about books for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Holocausplay posted:

This is one of those things that makes me love and hate sabermetrics and wonky blogs about contracts and poo poo, because there are all these talented dudes with jobs as statisticians, market analysts and attorneys who really don't give a poo poo that they're turning in 2,000-word columns for $50. They don't need to care.

Not all of them :smith:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
David Brooks wrote a column about Jeremy Lin, burn everything. EVERYTHING.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/brooks-the-jeremy-lin-problem.html?_r=1&ref=davidbrooks

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

leokitty posted:

David Brooks wrote a column about Jeremy Lin, burn everything. EVERYTHING.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/brooks-the-jeremy-lin-problem.html?_r=1&ref=davidbrooks

David Brooks posted:

Jeremy Lin is anomalous in all sorts of ways. He’s a Harvard grad in the N.B.A., an Asian-American man in professional sports. But we shouldn’t neglect the biggest anomaly. He’s a religious person in professional sports.

:psyboom:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

WHAT

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

stuart scott irl posted:

WHAT

WHAT?!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tae posted:

WHAT?!

PLAYOFFS?!

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

leokitty posted:

David Brooks wrote a column
I have just detected the retarded you are reading.

Any more details that you are reading are more retarded.

If you are doing something about this other than making fun of it, you are being really retarded.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Holocausplay posted:

I have just detected the retarded you are reading.

Any more details that you are reading are more retarded.

If you are doing something about this other than making fun of it, you are being really retarded.

But why does the Times keep letting him write things :negative:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
How dead is radio btw

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SWITCH HITLER posted:

How dead is radio btw

dunno but there seems to be a lot of guys named Mike

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Holocausplay posted:

This is one of those things that makes me love and hate sabermetrics and wonky blogs about contracts and poo poo, because there are all these talented dudes with jobs as statisticians, market analysts and attorneys who really don't give a poo poo that they're turning in 2,000-word columns for $50. They don't need to care. Although this isn't exclusive to sports journalism. Almost all media review is dominated by happy fans who just want to share their opinions and will glut the market. You can write a smart 1,000-word review of a new history book and not only be on the hook for obtaining your own copy but be obliged to spend 10 hours reading it and cash a lavish $30 check for your troubles.

Yeah, I've ran into this. It's cool when they expect it to be for free, since "it's exposure." And if I back out, there's people willing to fill those inches. It's always a lot of fun to deal with those outlets: I once had to badger a guy for two months just to get a copy of a magazine I was published in.

That column rules, it's hilarious how everyone is turning a perfect storm into a Horatio Alger story.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

dunno but there seems to be a lot of guys named Mike

Mike Dupp and Mike Zaun are numbahs 1 and 1-A.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

jeffersonlives posted:

Mike Dupp and Mike Zaun are numbahs 1 and 1-A.

I just noticed this week that the radio show formerly known as Mike Dupp changed to Mike Zaun. What's up with that?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

I just noticed this week that the radio show formerly known as Mike Dupp changed to Mike Zaun. What's up with that?

NBC was going to sue because he stopped doing the Mike'd Up show for them I think

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

OrangeKing posted:

NBC owns the rights to the Mike Dupp name and wouldn't sell them to CBS because they're in a tiff. WFAN didn't want to redo the theme song so they made it Mike Zaun and did a lovely dub.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
We Want Dupp

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
That was essentially the scenario I assumed, but thanks for clarifying guys. On this topic, I heard several callers today credit Mike with solving the Time Warner/MSG crisis; throughout the course of the day, his reactions changed from "that's silly, I clearly didn't do anything" to "hey, if you want to give me credit, I guess I'll take it" to "yes, I am the #1 radio show in this city, I suppose that Lin kid might have had some influence too though."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LtTennisBall posted:

was it a school in Boston? I'm a journalism student at BU (granted I plan on doing music journalism because I enjoy pain) and I can see where sports journalism would really suck. My brother originally wanted to do sports journalism, but instead he's doing more PR (he's a sports media relations intern at The University of Maryland) and he absolutely loves it.

Yes, school in boston, press pass, the works.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

:ughh:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Umm, I'm not actually sure how that happened. I mean really, who signed off on that? IS someone going to be fired? Please tell me someone is going to be fired. How can that happen??

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

jeffersonlives posted:

Hope he's got good unemployment LINsurance!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Holy poo poo :laffo: that's horrible. I can imagine more than one person will get fired for that.

I guess ESPN put out a statement this morning:

"Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I guarantee someone involved in that decision was like, "Yeah... But only a racist would construe that as racist! It's a figure of speech - he just happens to be Chinese!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ESPN employs subtle racists and then sometimes people that are there solely to compare everything to black people.

Stephan A Smith is the front runner for this, but there's a couple writers that literally attribute anything and everything to black and/or religious people. One wrote the Detroit Lions as basically declaring war on Christians for doing the Tebow motion everytime they sacked Tebow.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There's a pretty good piece about Stephen A in the ESPN book that basically said that ESPN asked him to create a black persona and be over-the-top about race, and then when he did that, ESPN told him that he was too black and that they were no longer comfortable with him being featured so prominently.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There's a pretty good piece about Stephen A in the ESPN book that basically said that ESPN asked him to create a black persona and be over-the-top about race, and then when he did that, ESPN told him that he was too black and that they were no longer comfortable with him being featured so prominently.

Is the ESPN book any good?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There are bits that are interesting but I thought it was too long and went into too much depth about mergers, acquisitions, MNF/SNF, etc. The best nuggets are from disgruntled commentators who don't really care what ESPN The Brand thinks about their comments. Stephen A was candid, anything about Olbermann was great, and the parts about the culture at early ESPN being incredibly sexist (and also basically one giant orgy) were interesting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

jeffersonlives posted:

that is amazing

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34892221

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
That's like not even Bleacher Report analysis holy crap

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

This is the worst thing I've ever read.

Good god :stonk:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Albert Pujols is literally not even on the list. I don't even know what is happening in this world.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Wow he really loves relievers/marginal starters. How do Pujols and Fielder not even crack the top twenty?

I can only assume Johnny Damon would have been #1 if he had signed by now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
How are noted Boras clients Prince and EJax not the top two?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are bits that are interesting but I thought it was too long and went into too much depth about mergers, acquisitions, MNF/SNF, etc. The best nuggets are from disgruntled commentators who don't really care what ESPN The Brand thinks about their comments. Stephen A was candid, anything about Olbermann was great, and the parts about the culture at early ESPN being incredibly sexist (and also basically one giant orgy) were interesting.

I haven't finished it yet, but this is pretty much a perfect review. I get the feeling that they couldn't get as much juicy gossip as they had anticipated, so they had to fill space with some seemingly endless business stuff that populates much of the early part of the book.

And yeah, the Olbermann stuff is great. The guy is a magnificent bastard.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Well that is certainly a thing. Jesus gently caress, Heyman. Kill yourself.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Having just finished it myself, I have to completely agree with you there. I suspect they couldn't get as much dirt as they hoped for and just started stuffing pages with business BS filler.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

toadee posted:

Albert Pujols is literally not even on the list. I don't even know what is happening in this world.

It is "bargain signings" so it's tough to put super-rich contracts on there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

It is "bargain signings" so it's tough to put super-rich contracts on there

You know that Prince Fielder is there, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I get the feeling that they couldn't get as much juicy gossip as they had anticipated, so they had to fill space with some seemingly endless business stuff that populates much of the early part of the book.

This is the exact same thing I'd say about Extra 2 Percent