Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Phanatic posted:

Going through security loving infuriates me.

I do it all the time. I have my poo poo together. It's not the security process itself, it's that all this loving money and time gets wasted on an absolutely *useless* loving process administered by people who could barely manage to work the frier at a Chik-Fil-A without scarring themselves for life.

It's right when the planes have been turned back on after 9/11. I'm flying from Dulles to Norfolk. That morning, I'd been setting off NAVSEA-related explosives. Three charges, 60 lbs of HBX each. My jacket and backpack are laying on the ground outside our bombproof trailer. I'm not the one pressing the button, so I'm watching from the quarry shore as they go off. Once, twice, three times, I see the plume of nitramine fragments and TNT residue drift down across the bombproof, and my backpack, and my jacket.

So of course I get picked from the line in Dulles that night for a random explosives. They swab my backpack down with that little pad, and put it in the sniffer. My internal monologue is going "Oh, gently caress," I'm going to have to call the base's security guys, my boss, his boss, etc.

Nothing. Not a goddamned thing from the detector.

But that was years ago, surely they've gotten better since then? Surely security's more coherent than that ad hoc mess we all had to deal with, with NG guys standing guard in the airports with M16s at port arms, sometimes with their *loving fingers* on the *loving triggers* (which was probably still safe since they didn't have rounds chambered or anything, which demonstrates how purely for-appearances-sake the whole thing was).

Cut to 2010. I'm flying back from Bluegrass Station to Philly with a solid-state drive packed with data. Wouldn't ordinarily do that, but a test flight with a 160th SOAR G-model Chinook went wrong (broken control actuator, pilot was instantly 180 degrees out-of-phase with the aircraft, pitching up and down like a roller coasted 20 feet off the ground) and people needed to look at the data *right now*. On X-ray, the drive unit looks like a big opaque brick, since it's entirely clad in metal. So they make me pull it out for an explosives inspection. Great, the drive's been on a 160th bird for like two months, who knows what the hell it's got on it. Yep. *Ping!* Positive for explosive residue. Security's response is to ask me what the thing is, look through the rest of my bag, and then let me board the plane. Entirely a rational decision, because I wasn't a terrorist with a bomb, but the entire system is set up so that they can't admit that it was a rational decision, they can't say "Well he clearly didn't fit the profile" because they can't even admit that there *is* a profile.

Last year. Flying back from Huntsville to Philly, connecting through Charlotte. At Huntsville, I check my bag, because I know it will be too big for the overhead compartment on the little puddle-jumper to Charlotte. Lots of people don't check their bags at check-in, and so have to check them planeside, because they're too big for the overheads. So, we land at Charlotte, and they've pulled off all the planeside check bags for people to collect as they get off the plane. I see my bag on that rack. It's clearly got the big white coded tag on it, says PHL, and not one of the little pink tags. I say "That's supposed to be checked through to Philly," luggage ape tells me "You have to take it with you now."

So now I'm in the secure area of the airport, with a bag that could have a firearm in it. Or box cutters. This is airport security.

It's a loving joke. It is a colossal and staggering waste of money, and time. Going through security isn't bad at all, but *having* to go through security, *having* to have my bags searched through or my person groped by the same organization of monkeys that rips out colostomy bags, can't tell an insulin pump from a bomb, and seriously has to pretend that grandmothers in wheelchairs and prosthetics are a threat, is definitely in the Top 5 Stupidest Things in America, it's right up there with the War on Drugs and the Washington Nationals.

Yup. I still remember the looks on people's faces when TSA made me clear my AR-15, in the loving ticket line at BOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
I was completely with you, right up to the point where you misspelled "Washington Natinals."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

This should amuse you then. Saw this in this month's cryptogram:

1. TSA screener finds two pipes in passenger's bags.

2. Screener determines that they're not a threat.

3. Screener confiscates them anyway, because of their "material and appearance."

4. Because they're not actually a threat, screener leaves them at the checkpoint.

5. Everyone forgets about them.

6. Six hours later, the next shift of TSA screeners notices the pipes and -- not being able to explain how they got there and, presumably, because of their "material and appearance" -- calls the police bomb squad to remove the pipes.

7. TSA does not evacuate the airport, or even close the checkpoint, because -- well, we don't know why.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/30/us/new-york-bomb-scare/index.html

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I dunno, I feel safe.

And then there's this guy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/17/roy-egan-former-ohare-tsa_n_1099331.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

I do it all the time. I have my poo poo together. It's not the security process itself, it's that all this loving money and time gets wasted on an absolutely *useless* loving process administered by people who could barely manage to work the frier at a Chik-Fil-A without scarring themselves for life.

It's right when the planes have been turned back on after 9/11. I'm flying from Dulles to Norfolk. That morning, I'd been setting off NAVSEA-related explosives. Three charges, 60 lbs of HBX each. My jacket and backpack are laying on the ground outside our bombproof trailer. I'm not the one pressing the button, so I'm watching from the quarry shore as they go off. Once, twice, three times, I see the plume of nitramine fragments and TNT residue drift down across the bombproof, and my backpack, and my jacket.

So of course I get picked from the line in Dulles that night for a random explosives. They swab my backpack down with that little pad, and put it in the sniffer. My internal monologue is going "Oh, gently caress," I'm going to have to call the base's security guys, my boss, his boss, etc.

Nothing. Not a goddamned thing from the detector.

But that was years ago, surely they've gotten better since then? Surely security's more coherent than that ad hoc mess we all had to deal with, with NG guys standing guard in the airports with M16s at port arms, sometimes with their *loving fingers* on the *loving triggers* (which was probably still safe since they didn't have rounds chambered or anything, which demonstrates how purely for-appearances-sake the whole thing was).

Cut to 2010. I'm flying back from Bluegrass Station to Philly with a solid-state drive packed with data. Wouldn't ordinarily do that, but a test flight with a 160th SOAR G-model Chinook went wrong (broken control actuator, pilot was instantly 180 degrees out-of-phase with the aircraft, pitching up and down like a roller coasted 20 feet off the ground) and people needed to look at the data *right now*. On X-ray, the drive unit looks like a big opaque brick, since it's entirely clad in metal. So they make me pull it out for an explosives inspection. Great, the drive's been on a 160th bird for like two months, who knows what the hell it's got on it. Yep. *Ping!* Positive for explosive residue. Security's response is to ask me what the thing is, look through the rest of my bag, and then let me board the plane. Entirely a rational decision, because I wasn't a terrorist with a bomb, but the entire system is set up so that they can't admit that it was a rational decision, they can't say "Well he clearly didn't fit the profile" because they can't even admit that there *is* a profile.

Last year. Flying back from Huntsville to Philly, connecting through Charlotte. At Huntsville, I check my bag, because I know it will be too big for the overhead compartment on the little puddle-jumper to Charlotte. Lots of people don't check their bags at check-in, and so have to check them planeside, because they're too big for the overheads. So, we land at Charlotte, and they've pulled off all the planeside check bags for people to collect as they get off the plane. I see my bag on that rack. It's clearly got the big white coded tag on it, says PHL, and not one of the little pink tags. I say "That's supposed to be checked through to Philly," luggage ape tells me "You have to take it with you now."

So now I'm in the secure area of the airport, with a bag that could have a firearm in it. Or box cutters. This is airport security.

It's a loving joke. It is a colossal and staggering waste of money, and time. Going through security isn't bad at all, but *having* to go through security, *having* to have my bags searched through or my person groped by the same organization of monkeys that rips out colostomy bags, can't tell an insulin pump from a bomb, and seriously has to pretend that grandmothers in wheelchairs and prosthetics are a threat, is definitely in the Top 5 Stupidest Things in America, it's right up there with the War on Drugs and the Washington Nationals.

Just going to quote this. TSA security theater is definitely in the top 5 stupidest things in America, and I'd say it's right up there in the top 3 stupidest post-9/11 overreactions the country had. That pipe story is pretty good, but I think we favorite is when they confiscated someone's...purse, I think? It was either a purse or a belt that had a semi-replica looking thing of a gun on it...like it was a hunk of metal vaguely in the shape of a gun, but a 5 year old could've told you that it was clearly not a firearm. TSA freaks out at the checkpoint and confiscates it anyway, because....?

It's not like going through security is hard as long as you've done it a couple of times and aren't a blithering idiot, but jesus christ was a waste of time/money/effort that has yielded nothing but pointless incompetence. I chuckle and roll my eyes every time I get pulled aside for additional screening...given my job, if I really wanted to hurt the U.S. I wouldn't need to try and light my underwear on fire like some dumbass terrorist. But hey Mr. TSA, you keep doing your job and "randomly" screen people, it's not like the government already spent $10,000 and several months investigating me to make sure I wasn't a threat or anything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Tools greater than 7" length are prohibited. Which is why, apparently, they confiscated my tape measure.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So, if you are a fighter/bomber pilot, you paint a bomb or flag on your a/c for each mission/kill right?

So stands to reason a tanker crew paints gas pumps on the side of their Victor!

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

grover posted:

Tools greater than 7" length are prohibited. Which is why, apparently, they confiscated my tape measure.

That is loving amazing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

no liquids over 100ml.

it is frozen sauce with meat.

but when it melts it will be a liquid......

it is meat, in sauce. Probably less than 100ml of sauce.

it is liquid.

no, it is frozen. It is solid.

this yogurt is too large to come through security.

it is clearly under 100ml

it doesn't say that so on the container.

it is yogurt. Under 100ml of yogurt

we have to confiscate it

i will eat it.

you cannot eat it, we have to confiscate it

you cannot bring a camera through security

i have a camera on my phone, so do you, so does everyone else

yes but we can't stop people having their phones

i can buy a camera at dixons duty free and then i will have a camera airside

yes but... you cannot bring a camera through security

ok i need it for work

too late you already said you were flying later today

I could go on

and on

and on

and on...

I work at an airport and go through this every day. Most days it is alright. The days it isn't make you want to claw your eyes out.

edit: oh yeah I have a tool card so I can bring knives and poo poo through with impunity. But not yogurt.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Linedance posted:

i will eat it.

you cannot eat it, we have to confiscate it

Oh, I forgot one.

Returning from India. I'm in the secure area of the Delhi airport. I buy a bottle of Cuban rum, duty-free. This is Delhi, not Yemen, they take their security pretty loving seriously there (although not as seriously as in Leh, where every goddamned person gets frisked by a large and swarthy and very serious individual).

I land at Heathrow. You go through a security checkpoint *again*, even though you're already in the secure area. They, obviously, find my 750ml bottle of rum. Can't bring it through. Why? Because I didn't buy it at an EU airport.

First, that's bullshit. My sister went through the same thing with a bottle of Limoncello she bought in the secure area duty-free store at the Rome airport, connecting through Frankfurt on the way home. Second, I know it's rum, you know it's rum, everybody in the goddamned world would accept that this is a bottle of rum and not liquid explosive death. You are, clearly and deliberately, *pretending* that there is some security risk, it is a mass consensual hallucination and it's intellectually every bit as offensive as if you were wearing a Gestapo uniform and fondling my junk.

So I open the bottle and dump it out to deprive these assholes of a free bottle of the best rum on the planet. Walking to my gate, I pass a duty-free store. Oh, look at that, they have the exact same rum for sale.

Airport security hasn't a single loving thing to do with security.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Politicians say "omg we need to show that we deal with the threat. make demands on the airport operators!"

Airport operators go "omg we need to appease the politicians or we'll be in trouble. What's dangerous though? Let's hire security companies"

Security companies go "omg I get to define the risks and what countermeasures to deploy AND how much to charge for it! I'm made for life!"

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
I will say that TSA helped me out once when I was flying out of Columbus. I was on the last flight out on a RJ, and was running late from a customer site. One of the agents actually went to the gate and reopened the jetway door while my stuff was on the xray belt. Actually all of my awesome customer service experiences have happened at that airport.

You want to know pain? Try flying with skydiving gear some time...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
My brother had his nail clippers confiscated before a recent flight. After enduring the security dog-and-pony show, he stopped at the Chili's in the terminal to get a burger. When he was served his burger, they gave him a 5" knife in case he wanted to cut the burger in half.

I guess Chili's hates America.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ola posted:

Politicians say "omg we need to show that we deal with the threat. make demands on the airport operators!"

Airport operators go "omg we need to appease the politicians or we'll be in trouble. What's dangerous though? Let's hire security companies"

Government says "No you're not allowed to do that. You will use our Federal employees or we'll shut you down"

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-29/travel/tsa.private_1_tsa-government-screeners-screening-program?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

e: ^^Really? The ones in Canada are private.

Ola posted:

Security companies go "omg I get to define the risks and what countermeasures to deploy AND how much to charge for it! I'm made for life!"

The guy who writes the newsletter I got my little story from refers to this as "Security Theater." Instead of pursuing a good practice of security, he argues, the powers that be vastly prefer to create the appearance of strict security. This gives them better cover in case something bad happens. There's also those security companies who have a big incentive not to pursue effective security, but rather to dream up terror plots (of which there is essentially an infinite number) and then get money 'protecting' against them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got this tiger repellant here, guaranteed 100% effective... I'll sell it to you real cheap ;)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Linedance posted:

I got this tiger repellant here, guaranteed 100% effective... I'll sell it to you real cheap ;)

How much for the rock?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mobius1B7R posted:

And all this talk about paying for tickets, I can fly for free. :smug: I don't fly often enough though, I really should just go on random daytrips just for the hell of it (I work for an airline).

From the last page, but once I get certified on my first 2 sectors I can take advantage of familiarization flights. There's paperwork and you can't use use a fam flight in conjunction with vacation days, but it's still a free flight. You even get to chill in the cockpit. I'm definitely gonna be taking advantage of it as soon as I'm able.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Phanatic posted:

Going through security isn't bad at all, but *having* to go through security, *having* to have my bags searched through or my person groped by the same organization of monkeys that rips out colostomy bags, can't tell an insulin pump from a bomb, and seriously has to pretend that grandmothers in wheelchairs and prosthetics are a threat, is definitely in the Top 5 Stupidest Things in America, it's right up there with the War on Drugs and the Washington Nationals.

I agree with you.

I think it's pretty drat stupid as well, but it's not something that pisses me off to the point of not flying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Airport security theater is ridiculous but frankly I'm not willing to drive to register my moral opposition to security theater. I write a letter to my representatives complaining about it and go on my way.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I always thought it was hilarious on the way back from Iraq they would make us take our bolt carrier groups out of our rifles and put them in our pockets when using civilian airliners.
This is funny not only because its just in my pocket but because it takes less than 5 second for me to get the bolt carrier group back into the rifle and maybe another two to rack a round into the chamber.
Also they made the guys with the 249's put the safety on, sounds smart right? Well the weapon only goes on safe with the bolt back so the Soldier had to lock the bolt back, which is an integral part of prepping the weapon to fire. So they forced the operator to make the weapon closer to firing to make it "safe".
Also I had my 6" fixed blade knife on me.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

So I open the bottle and dump it out to deprive these assholes of a free bottle of the best rum on the planet.

Bravo.

I had a security screener in Guatemala confiscate a roll of gaffers tape from my camera bag, which I had flown with many times before. He didn't throw it in the garbage can like everything else they confiscated, he set it on top of the xray machine next to his cell phone so he could take it home with him. That poo poo's $15 a roll.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
I agree with the viewpoint that if the terrorists have made it to the airport, it's probably already too late.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/12/tsa-insanity-201112

A good article on the futility of the TSA.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I kinda think that if the TSA or such bothers you that much, you probably should just mellow out a bit instead of raging. But maybe I've just moved on from getting angry at things you can't control and letting them ruin your trip.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

smackfu posted:

I kinda think that if the TSA or such bothers you that much, you probably should just mellow out a bit instead of raging. But maybe I've just moved on from getting angry at things you can't control and letting them ruin your trip.

This is the correct attitude of course. The last few times I've flown I've planned my trip around what liquid possessions can be bought at the destination and how to squeeze my necessary belongings into a practical carry-on backpack. Much better, but I still grumble.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

smackfu posted:

It's not a matter of raging at it, it's a matter of not wanting to contribute to it. Same reason I don't buy Sony products: I want to minimize my financial contributions to their overreach.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
A little late on a few conversations, but as a logistics manager we're basically taught that anything over 500 miles justifies the price of an airplane. It's like the magic distance.

As far as getting through TSA checkpoints, I also dress for the occasion, wearing shorts with no belt, flip flops, even have a TSA approved laptop case. All that won't prepare you for my last flight out of JFK for example, when the line delay to get through security was literally 1.5 hours due to a screening line shutting down.

I had the same experience getting onto a civilian aircraft after redeploying from Iraq, managing to carry an Italian stiletto onto the aircraft along with my laughably "disassembled" M-16. However, in light of all this, it's important to remember that these TSA checkpoints are only one part of the "layers" of TSA security that Kip Hawley explained to Congress. Due to the nature of our military presence, it's easy to see how we might slip past the one layer, ignoring the fact that several other layers exist for foreign travelers. In my example, I forgot I had mine secured in the butt stock compartment of my weapon, typically reserved for a cleaning kit.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
For federal travel, we're required to complete a travel cost comparison worksheet, where we compare the costs of various modes of travel, and then select the least expensive one. Over 8 hours of driving, hotel/per diem costs nearly always tip in favor of air travel. Below that, it depends almost entirely on how overpriced the flights are on whether it's cheaper to fly or drive. But considering even the shortest flight involves driving to the airport, paying for parking, at least 2 hours wasted in early arrival/layovers, and then renting a car and driving to your destination, driving wins out for virtually anything under 3-5 hours.

Unfortunately, this policy completely ignores lost productivity and comptime as a factor, concentrating ONLY on direct travel costs, and we end up stuck on 2-hop flights that depart/arrive at inconvenient times instead of a direct flight that's $10 more expensive in ticket costs but gets us there 3 hours sooner and entirely during normal working hours, and for several hundred dollars cheaper with labor costs considered. Your tax dollars at work!

grover fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 18, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

For federal travel, we're required to complete a travel cost comparison worksheet, where we compare the costs of various modes of travel, and then select the least expensive one. Over 8 hours of driving, and hotel/per diem costs nearly always tip in favor of air travel. Below that, it depends almost entirely on how overpriced the flights are on whether it's cheaper to fly or drive.

Are you sure that's a requirement? They sure as poo poo don't do that at Tinker.

A guy in my office had to go to some podunk place in the southwest. The travel office booked him a trip that had 2 or 3 connecting flights (something like 14 hours of flying/layovers) to land him in town where he'd get a rental car, when it would have been just over half the cost to fly into McCarran or whatever (I can't remember exactly, this was about a year ago) and get him a rental there to drive the 2 hours into town. Even when he printed off his plan with prices, it didn't matter. They spent about $2k unnecessarily.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Are you sure that's a requirement? They sure as poo poo don't do that at Tinker.
It pops in DTS anytime you try to drive your POV, but I think JTR requires it for everything. Most of the time, flights are just assumed to be the only practical way to travel.

Edit:

JTR posted:

Constructed travel is when a traveler chooses a mode of travel other than the standard or authorized mode. One example is when a traveler drives a privately owned conveyance (POC) or rental car instead of flying. When this occurs, the traveler may be required to provide a cost-comparison to the Authorizing Official (AO).

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

grover posted:

Unfortunately, this policy completely ignores lost productivity and comptime as a factor, concentrating ONLY on direct travel costs, and we end up stuck on 2-hop flights that depart/arrive at inconvenient times instead of a direct flight that's $10 more expensive in ticket costs but gets us there 3 hours sooner and entirely during normal working hours, and for several hundred dollars cheaper with labor costs considered. Your tax dollars at work!

This happens in the private sector as well, and it always irritated me. I had to spend a year going back and forth from Memphis to Cleveland. It's a miserable 90 minute flight in a CRJ, but at least you're there. I frequently ran into the "$10 too expensive" trap for the direct flight, so I would have to connect through Detroit, Atlanta, Louisville, or Cincinnati. And suddenly it takes all day to get there or back home. Add in the potential for weather problems and those weird hours and connections can add in a hotel stay, extra meals, missing a meeting or conference call the next day...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jesus this cattle car dreariness is killing the mood. There's no talk of toilet habits, ticket prices and seat comfort in the train thread. Let's take this poo poo to Wales and down in the weeds.

(note apple in co-pilot's hand)

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Isn't there one from the Mach Loop featuring the "I'm with stupid" sign?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

grover posted:

For federal travel, we're required to complete a travel cost comparison worksheet, where we compare the costs of various modes of travel, and then select the least expensive one.

I didn't have to do that at NAVSEA, but that was over a decade ago.

quote:

Yep. We bill you out at $200 an hour, so it's a brilliant idea to make you waste couple of hours doing legwork to save us $50 on an airline ticket.

benito posted:

This happens in the private sector as well, and it always irritated me.

It's not as bad, though, at least for me. If you fail to pick the least expensive flight (or at least, a flight that's less expensive by some hidden $ threshold), our travel system wants you to justify why, but that's as simple as picking "Does not meet program or schedule requirements" from a drop-down menu in a web form.

My tickets to India were $6500. Turns out that business-class international's gently caress-off expensive if you don't know you're taking the trip until a week before you leave.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 18, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Understeer posted:

Isn't there one from the Mach Loop featuring the "I'm with stupid" sign?

There sure is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

grover posted:

This is rather private sector too, if I take anything other than the lowest-cost option on a company preferred carrier for one of my clients I have to sign a waiver and explain Why I Did The Rules Violation and if I do enough Rules Violations someone comes to bother me about it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is rather private sector too, if I take anything other than the lowest-cost option on a company preferred carrier for one of my clients I have to sign a waiver and explain Why I Did The Rules Violation and if I do enough Rules Violations someone comes to bother me about it.

The website we have to use (CWT/Concur) has the rules encoded in, with leeway so we have some discretion (MIA-CLT-DFW was like $15 cheaper than MIA-DFW, which was within the threshold).

DFW is awesome on Saturday nights; ten steps from the door to the TSA Pre-check line (still owns, had a nice chat with the TSA person since she was bored), AAdmiral's Club is empty, and AA gave me an upgrade too.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Let's just say "Ride in a jet" was on my bucket list, anyone have a recommendation?

At one time I thought I found L-39 rides for ~$3,000 but looking for options in USA, preferably east of Mississippi.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

LockMart just announced two new versions of the C-130J:

C-130XLJ, which is basically a stripper model that looks to aim for potential civilian sales

SC-130J, to replace the P-3 Orion.

I'm really interested in seeing how they plan to drop depth charges and sonar bouys from a palletized load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm really interested in seeing how they plan to drop depth charges and sonar bouys from a palletized load.

Air-dropping a mini-sub.