Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
Has anyone listened to "My Wife Hates Me" with Rich Vos and Bonnie Mcfarlane?

The latest one "Bonnie Cries" is so cringe-worthy it's almost unbearable. Every time I'm about to turn it off I end up laughing my balls off at how ridiculous it is.

After about a dozen or so episodes I honestly can't believe they are still doing the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Dip Facial posted:

Has anyone listened to "My Wife Hates Me" with Rich Vos and Bonnie Mcfarlane?

The latest one "Bonnie Cries" is so cringe-worthy it's almost unbearable. Every time I'm about to turn it off I end up laughing my balls off at how ridiculous it is.

After about a dozen or so episodes I honestly can't believe they are still doing the podcast.

Thank you for turning me on to this podcast. I listened to the "Bonnie Cries" one and it's so awkward.

I want so badly for Rich Vos not to be doing a character, but I think he's playing it up for laughs.

"Great minds think a lot"

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
Does anyone else read Podmass at the AVClub? I don't know how people can be bad at listening to podcasts, but the reviewers there manage to do it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I wish those guys would listen to my podcast! Even if they hated it I could use the exposure!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

No Ticket posted:

Does anyone else read Podmass at the AVClub? I don't know how people can be bad at listening to podcasts, but the reviewers there manage to do it.

I do. Sometimes they give all right commentary, but other times they miss the mark completely. It helps me pick up on some podcasts that I don't normally listen too though, so that's good. However, I always get a sneaking suspicion that if there's ever a PFT-ubiquity backlash it'll start from Podmass. And that I cannot abide.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So ok, I've been feeling like giving things second chances lately, and one of those has been Kevin Smith. Smodcast is huge and dense though, so like, what shows are good, and what episodes of them are good 'first show' kinda things?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glitterbomber posted:

So ok, I've been feeling like giving things second chances lately, and one of those has been Kevin Smith. Smodcast is huge and dense though, so like, what shows are good, and what episodes of them are good 'first show' kinda things?

The first dozen episodes or so of Jay and Silent Bob get Old are pretty good if you're into hearing about the hosed up poo poo addicts do.

e: Unless you're asking about the smodcast specifically, in which case I've got nothing. Only listened to a couple episodes and found it pretty boring.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 18, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bango skank posted:

The first dozen episodes or so of Jay and Silent Bob get Old are pretty good if you're into hearing about the hosed up poo poo addicts do.

As a former addict I am into that! What's the tone though, is it like soul crushing 'yep ruined my life' or is it more like 'ok I've accepted this part of my history and can joke about it'?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

:stare:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glitterbomber posted:

As a former addict I am into that! What's the tone though, is it like soul crushing 'yep ruined my life' or is it more like 'ok I've accepted this part of my history and can joke about it'?

It's done in a joking manner cause Mewes is pretty much clean now and they do a running tally of the days since he last used at least in the beginning. The story about Mewes spending fourty minutes(something like that) in Smith's bathroom taking out all his poo poo and then hiding it over and over because he keeps thinking Kevin's standing outside the door is hilarious.

LesterGroans posted:

:getin:

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

j8910 posted:

Thank you for turning me on to this podcast. I listened to the "Bonnie Cries" one and it's so awkward.

I want so badly for Rich Vos not to be doing a character, but I think he's playing it up for laughs.

"Great minds think a lot"

The stupidity of Rich Vos is very well documented and it seems like the well is endless. It's seriously mind boggling how Bonnie puts up with that poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bango skank posted:

It's done in a joking manner cause Mewes is pretty much clean now and they do a running tally of the days since he last used at least in the beginning. The story about Mewes spending fourty minutes(something like that) in Smith's bathroom taking out all his poo poo and then hiding it over and over because he keeps thinking Kevin's standing outside the door is hilarious.

:getin:

That's good, I knew Mewes has been pretty clean and all so it's nice he's able to joke about it now, so Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, anything else in Smodcast family stuff extra good?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glitterbomber posted:

That's good, I knew Mewes has been pretty clean and all so it's nice he's able to joke about it now, so Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, anything else in Smodcast family stuff extra good?

The only other smodcast network show I've listened to is the original smodcast, and that was only a couple episodes that I found boring so I can't really be much more help in the area. :shobon:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Glitterbomber posted:

Mohr Stories by Jay Mohr is the only Smodcast show I listen to anymore, though it has nothing to do with Kevin Smith. Highlands: A Peephole History is interesting because it's slower and focuses on stories that Kevin hasn't told a million times. The ABCs of SNL was a great concept but lasted, what, two episodes?

As for the others, I spent over a year listening to every episode of the following but quit them all cold turkey. I couldn't listen to Smith's whining or repetition for hours every week, and Tell 'em Steve Dave just got sad and annoying. (I was going to list some of the original members of the Smodcast network and why I stopped, but looking at the site there are tons of podcasts now. Good God.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Glitterbomber posted:

I've stopped listening to Smodcast, but I remember #85: Side Chair being hilarious. Its also done with Bryan Johnson instead of Scott Moiser. I haven't listened to it in 2 years though, so maybe if I go back and listen again I will just notice all the Kevin Smithisms and hate it.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Check out any of the Harry Pottercentric episodes of smodcast, the tittles are some variation of Harry Scotter or Forgeticus. They are good for silly laughs about the movies. Hollywood Babble On is also pretty good too for mindless fun. The ABC's was never meant to be a weekly thing (there is a third one though) it is basically a whenever Lovitz feels like doing it thing. God I feel like all i've been posting about lately is Kevin Smith stuff...time to read some other threads.

Oh yeah be sure to find the episode of Jay And Silent Bob get old with Jay and Danny Trejo (MACHETE!!) it is just loving hilarious. Apparently he was Jay's sponser/sober mentor for a while and has a couple of good stories about Jay and some great background about himself.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I really loved Forgeticus.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
My favorite episode, Crapture has been made into a Smodimation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkbrNne3t4

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

My favorite episode, Crapture has been made into a Smodimation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkbrNne3t4

Well this is great. I just listened to the most recent one and ya know, it's a lot better than I remembered. Smith is one of those dudes who he is funny but he's also a real prick at times, so I guess it's just a matter of finding the shows when the funny outweighs the prick.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
MaximumFun.Org is the new Earwolf is the new SModcast. Conventional wisdom.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

quadrophrenic posted:

MaximumFun.Org is the new Earwolf is the new SModcast. Conventional wisdom.

Maxfun is the oldest of all those things :confused:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, I think nerdist is the new earwolf. At least the intro sting they're slapping on everything is reasonably short.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Poopy Palpy posted:

Maxfun is the oldest of all those things :confused:

"X is the new Y" doesn't literally mean "X is newer than Y".

I just think SModcast was the first breakout podcast network, and Earwolf programs have been staples for a while, and pretty soon MaxFun shows will be the critics' darlings.

I realize my argument falls apart when you consider that there's really no such thing as an established institution of podcast critique.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Nerdist is growing by about 83 podcasts each day. And most of them are really good.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I decided to give The Complete Guide to Everything a listen this weekend and I think it's one of my new favorite podcasts now. The "Seduction" episode was hilarious.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Over the last couple days I burned through the four existing episodes of "Analyze Phish" on Earwolf Presents. As a (closeted and shameful) Phish fan I found it immensely entertaining. Hearing Aukerman criticize the band from the perspective of a open-minded non-fan listener really made me question my own loyalty to Phish, and even Wittels had a hard time disagreeing with some of Aukerman's complaints. They really have a great chemistry with each other.

Not sure exactly how entertained someone would be by these episodes if they were ambivalent about Phish, though.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

HateTheInternet posted:

Not sure exactly how entertained someone would be by these episodes if they were ambivalent about Phish, though.

I am that. It's a great show.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Sexy Randal posted:

I decided to give The Complete Guide to Everything a listen this weekend and I think it's one of my new favorite podcasts now. The "Seduction" episode was hilarious.

If you're not one to go back and listen to archives, at least listen to Holiday Movies. The first episode is as funny as this weeks episode, I find on my repeated listenings.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

HateTheInternet posted:

I straight up dislike Phish and the show is still super entertaining

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

I straight up dislike Phish and the show is still super entertaining

And I'm pretty ambivalent about Phish and I loved it so we've covered the gamut.

I remember not enjoying the first two episodes as much as the 3rd and 4th. In the 3rd Adam Scott was a welcome addition and of course the 4th was the actual Phish show episode which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I think I want to go to a Phish show now. Are there any women at these things or is it a straight up sausage fest?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Anybody hear of The Ten Minute Podcast with Bryan Callen, Chris D'Elia, and Will Sasso yet?

quote:

Welcome to Ten Minute Podcast! In our first episode, Will attempts to start the show with some simple introductions but Bryan refuses to shut up and quickly derails everything. Chris also says lots of stuff. In the end, everything works out fine and the guys have fun proving that ten minutes is the perfect length for a podcast. Enjoy!

This is brilliant. Even if it's bad, it's only 10 minutes (but they've all been hilarious so far)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
No one is discussing the biggest unanswered question in comedy podcasting: comedian, yell-boss, or zing-talker?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I am 100% on board with zing-talker

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Gotta be yell-boss, surely? I mean, Cake boss (CAKE BOSS) is in charge of all the cakes, most comedians do a lot of yelling, so they should be the boss of it.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Grrr. I'm done with Judge John Hodgman. The latest episode has got me stomping mad, can you believe that bitch wants to make her husband go to her cousins wedding, and can you believe that dick wants to go to a different wedding on the same day?

They also made jokes. The NERVE of some people!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Grrr. I'm done with Judge John Hodgman. The latest episode has got me stomping mad, can you believe that bitch wants to make her husband go to her cousins wedding, and can you believe that dick wants to go to a different wedding on the same day?

It's a comedy podcast. The regular joes and janes aren't funny. I guess you don't need to get mad at it, but I would argue it's failing its core mission.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Is this your way of saying that this week's Judge John Hodgman is pretty good? Because really, having someone point that out when it happens would be pretty useful.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

It's a comedy podcast. The regular joes and janes aren't funny. I guess you don't need to get mad at it, but I would argue it's failing its core mission.

I think he's continuing a conversation from a couple weeks ago about how the guests on John's show have been pretty annoying lately. Unless I miss my guess, he's being very sarcastic because he likes to get riled up about people saying mean things about podcasts he likes. It's hard to tell with him sometimes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DangerDummy! posted:

I think he's continuing a conversation from a couple weeks ago about how the guests on John's show have been pretty annoying lately. Unless I miss my guess, he's being very sarcastic because he likes to get riled up about people saying mean things about podcasts he likes. It's hard to tell with him sometimes.

Im honestly shocked that he likes JJH. It has a celebrity on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is John Hodgman really a "celebrity"? I mean, sure he's on the Daily Show occasionally, but he's probably about as recognizable as a Wil Wheaton or a David Faustino.

• Locked thread