Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

The Bandit posted:

Anyone know of forums or sites that are good for finding semi-local people to buy and sell vintage electronics and stereo stuff? I am looking to sell my Cerwin-Vega 380SE and craigslist doesn't really have the type of people who are looking to shell out a bunch of money on speakers.

I'm in Boston if it matters.

You might want to call Audio Lab in Harvard or AudioProz in Watertown if you're looking to get rid of them pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Audiokarma forum Barter Town is for that, but it takes $25 to access it. You can look at listing previews, though.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sledgehammer posted:

I have a question about resistance. I have a pair of Pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelf speakers with nominal impedance of 6 ohms and maximum input power of 130W. I was thinking about driving these with an Outlaw RR2150 receiver which delivers 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Would this combo be at risk of over-driving the speakers or blowing them out or would it be budget audio nirvana?

You've got it slightly backwards - you want the amp to be able to deliver more wattage than the speakers are rated for, otherwise you risk clipping when you crank the volume. Clipping blows speakers, not overpowered amps.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that whether or not the amp can drive your speakers loudly enough for you depends on three things:

1. How loud do you like it?
2. What is the actual maximum output wattage of the amp? (And you can't trust marketing numbers.)
3. What is the sensitivity rating of the speakers?

Your amp will be designed to function optimally on certain impedance levels, that's why it's rated at 8 ohms, and few manufacturers will give numbers for other impedances. It depends on whether the amp can deliver a high current or a high voltage, and other complicated electrical stuff I don't really know about. =)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I HIGHLY recommend the AWOLNATION Megalithic Symphony vinyl. It's 180 gram and sounds incredible. I've been enjoying the FLAC version for a couple weeks and the vinyl is still much better.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Is it bad to leave a record spinning after its finished playing? I looking to get a new turntable that might not have auto return and sometimes I fall asleep, or I'm reading, basically Im lazy as hell. Is it bad for the needle to keep spinning on that last loop?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
That would probably be a yes. Some of my albums have some rough grooves at the end. I have one where the stylus scoots across the label. Even if they were pristine, you still get wear and tear to your stylus.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yes and no. It is indeed not good to leave your stylus running in the runout groove, but it's much less wear to sit there than to play actual music. It's a nice smooth trip over there. :)

This, though, is why I have a fully auto table.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

aricoarena posted:

Is it bad to leave a record spinning after its finished playing? I looking to get a new turntable that might not have auto return and sometimes I fall asleep, or I'm reading, basically Im lazy as hell. Is it bad for the needle to keep spinning on that last loop?

Yeah, but it happens. My SLD202 has auto return but only works half the time.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Ok so I have everything set up finally!

One problem -- I have a hiss:

- in only one channel
- on the phono setting only
- louder when no input connected
- volume dependent

Is it fair to say I have something hosed up in the phono preamp circuit?

*fake edit* Also should I try to fix the phono stage or to buy a separate preamp?

primitive fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
What speakers would you guys suggest for an entry-level setup now that the insignias the op recommends have been discontinued. Also how safe is getting a receiver off of Ebay?

Martinb4
Feb 19, 2009
$199 Floorstanding
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403

or

$69 Bookshelves
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What speakers would you guys suggest for an entry-level setup now that the insignias the op recommends have been discontinued. Also how safe is getting a receiver off of Ebay?

You might also consider these Polks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202 . Cherry version costs slightly less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203

As far as a receiver from ebay goes, I've bought a few and all came as described. I think your bigger worry on ebay is whether or not the seller packages the thing correctly so that FedEx/USPS/UPS doesn't destroy it.
The problem is so bad Audiokarma has an entire subforum devoted to how to pack things: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

frenchyfff
Feb 11, 2012

I HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF BASIC HUMANITY OR EMOTION. ASK ME ABOUT FOOD PAIRINGS FOR CHILD MURDER

BattleHork posted:

You might also consider these Polks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202 . Cherry version costs slightly less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203

As far as a receiver from ebay goes, I've bought a few and all came as described. I think your bigger worry on ebay is whether or not the seller packages the thing correctly so that FedEx/USPS/UPS doesn't destroy it.
The problem is so bad Audiokarma has an entire subforum devoted to how to pack things: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

I just ordered the cherry version. Haven't got them yet so can't give a review. The newegg special only goes through 2/14 (tomorrow) so if anyone is interested they need to move asap

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So if I got those Polk Speakers which are rated at 20-120 watts at 8 Ohms, would I have to be careful when using a vintage receiver rated at 35 watts or thereabouts? Specifically with causing clipping or something similar.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

So if I got those Polk Speakers which are rated at 20-120 watts at 8 Ohms, would I have to be careful when using a vintage receiver rated at 35 watts or thereabouts? Specifically with causing clipping or something similar.

Unless you plan on playing at ear-bleeding levels, that ought to do. The Polks have a relatively high sensitivity rating too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Do you want vintage speakers?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Retarded Pimp posted:

Do you want vintage speakers?

I hadn't even looked into getting vintage speakers, I assumed they would be more expensive than modern ones. I mostly want to get a decent setup to listen to vinyl records with and that I love how vintage receivers look.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Is it dumb of me to want to buy a bang and olufsen record player?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I hadn't even looked into getting vintage speakers, I assumed they would be more expensive than modern ones. I mostly want to get a decent setup to listen to vinyl records with and that I love how vintage receivers look.

It depends, I picked up a set of recapped and resealed KLH 17's for $70, there's a set of Ohm E2's for about $50 and a set of Utah's for ~70 on CL right now. They're out there, you just have to look and be patient.
Thrift stores can be awesome too. It's funny, the more popular low to mid-fi names, like Technics or Pioneer tend to have the higher prices, but the higher end stuff can often be had for a relative song because a lot of people don't know the name.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I just picked up a pair of infinity RS-5000a for $70 from Craigslist. Only thing I have to do is finish re-foaming the mids. There are good deals on vintage speakers, you just have to be dedicated to the search.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Retarded Pimp posted:

It depends, I picked up a set of recapped and resealed KLH 17's for $70, there's a set of Ohm E2's for about $50 and a set of Utah's for ~70 on CL right now. They're out there, you just have to look and be patient.
Thrift stores can be awesome too. It's funny, the more popular low to mid-fi names, like Technics or Pioneer tend to have the higher prices, but the higher end stuff can often be had for a relative song because a lot of people don't know the name.

I've been trolling local thrift stores for interesting furniture and clothes finds twice a month for a while already, so I'll just start keeping an eye out for electronics. Hadn't really considered craigslist because based off my appliance/bicycle buying experience its 98% college kids selling off their junk as they graduate/need beer money. Anywhere else obvious that I am missing?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I've been trolling local thrift stores for interesting furniture and clothes finds twice a month for a while already, so I'll just start keeping an eye out for electronics. Hadn't really considered craigslist because based off my appliance/bicycle buying experience its 98% college kids selling off their junk as they graduate/need beer money. Anywhere else obvious that I am missing?

College kids sell off their turntables and speakers all the time. Don't write them off.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Is it dumb of me to want to buy a bang and olufsen record player?
Pretty dumb. Parts are hard to source and very expensive. If you get a complete, working set for cheap, take it, but maintaining it won't be easy. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I picked up a Kenwood KR-4600 cheap on Craigslist for my burgeoning setup. Dude said it had some input selector issues. Got home, hooked it up, FM works but is very very faint, AUX works fine with a pre-amp. No sound on phono 1 or 2.

So, I figure the pre-amp needs some work. I got a great deal so I'm willing to take it to the shop and have some work done on it. I could just listen to records on AUX but I would like the FM to work, and would probably like to use the pre-amp on the system if it were working since I'm sure it sounds better than my Amazon special.

I read on the 'net that the Adapter area on the back of the unit is where the pre-amp connects to amp. The jumpers are still there. If I connect my pre-amp to it, would that kind of narrow down the problem to the onboard pre-amp?

Dark shot of it, I don't intend to use it in this config, I'm working on getting a small media cabinet set up.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

First things first, this is an old unit, the switch contacts may be oxidized. That may be all that's wrong.
Read this thread and clean the switches and pots like it says.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Capacitor values can change over decades, transistors can mess up, especially relay transistors that stay saturated all the time. Check the DC Offset. DC current can kill your speakers.
Read this thread and check for the offset.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I second cleaning it first (with deoxit spray). Fixes a ton of problems.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Thanks guys, will check that stuff this weekend.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Found the culprit:

It looks like maybe the back part of the switch was having a hard time turning, so they gave up and took it out of the loop. It was stuck on AUX :downs:

Now I need to figure out how to get in and deoxit that back switch for sure.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Holy poo poo, check out how old caps can look inside after 30 years. Not good at all.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=424499
I may be doing some recapping soon.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Retarded Pimp posted:

Holy poo poo, check out how old caps can look inside after 30 years. Not good at all.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=424499
I may be doing some recapping soon.

Highly recommended! I recapped the crossovers of my 87' Klipsch Fortes and it was like lifting a blanket off the speakers.

Details with pics here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=371297

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Just received three copies of the brand new reissue of Pink Floyd's The Wall today. Open one up and find two copies of the second record (sides 3 and 4). Open up a second one, same thing. The third one was okay. Now I have 5 copies of the second record and one copy of the first. Talked to the company I bought them from. Apparently the manufacturer goofed and is going to be shipping out replacement LPs. I should be recieving them within the next two weeks or so.

I bought two extra copies to give out to my vinyl loving friends. Good thing I opened them up to check them first. Just giving anyone who also purchased this album a heads up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

That depends on the labor rates and if the tweeters are ok. Or you could refurbish them yourself, they're pretty simple devices. You can even be ham-fisted with a soldering iron and still do a decent job.
Here's a thread about it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102176

holy gently caress. Did this tonight, took about 3 hours. night and day.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Those 17's and that Kenwood's 30 watts ought to be a good sounding match.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Those 17's and that Kenwood's 30 watts ought to be a good sounding match.

Dude, they sound magnificent. Thanks for the tips.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
So I'm having a strange problem with zeroing / tracking with my SL-1200.

I'm using an Ortofon OM 10 cartridge in a Sumiko headshell. The headshell comes with a little lever you're supposed to attach and use to place the arm on the record that must only weigh a gram, but whenever I have it attached I have to move the counterweight out from the little detent and I can't get the drat thing zeroed, it skates out unless I crank the anti-skate out to 3g.

Will I do any damage by simply grabbing the tonearm to place the cartridge on the record? If not, why do those levers exist?

**** ALSO SOUND PROBLEMS ****

For some reason things are sounding a bit bright and tinny, is that a cartridge alignment issue?

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I'm wondering if I've done enough damage to my stylus where it would need to be replaced. First off, I have a Dual 1246 automatic belt drive. Not sure how standard this is with other automatics, but there's a start/stop switch and an up/down switch for the tonearm. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "down" position will move the tonearm to the starting location for a 12" (or 7" if you have the 45 option on), and the arm will drop. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "up" position will move the arm over the starting location until you flip the tonearm switch to the "down" position.

This is great for a 12" record, but it kind of sucks for a 10" record. Unfortunately I have thrown one of my 10" records on when I've had a few beers, and there have been about 3 or 4 times where I didn't notice the tonearm switch was in the "down" position. As a result, the arm drops, rubs against the rubber slipmat for a second or two, kind of rubs against the platter, and then falls off but doesn't land on the base.

I can't really tell if my records sound noticeably different, but I was wondering if I should look into replacing the stylus since it might be damaged enough to warrant doing so. I don't know if a damaged stylus can also damage your records, so is that something I should be concerned about too?

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
I recently came across a vouple of interesting HiFi related sites, mostly vintage content, but interesting nonethe less to a HiFi enthusiast. The one that is most interesting belongs to a guy who was at the McIntosh when they started making speakers. There is an interesting section on his personal journey through HiFi. The website is here, http://www.roger-russell.com/

The other is basically an image duump blog, but there are many interesting articles form the golden age of HiFi there as well. http://itishifi.blogspot.com/

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

primitive posted:

So I'm having a strange problem with zeroing / tracking with my SL-1200.

I'm using an Ortofon OM 10 cartridge in a Sumiko headshell. The headshell comes with a little lever you're supposed to attach and use to place the arm on the record that must only weigh a gram, but whenever I have it attached I have to move the counterweight out from the little detent and I can't get the drat thing zeroed, it skates out unless I crank the anti-skate out to 3g.

Will I do any damage by simply grabbing the tonearm to place the cartridge on the record? If not, why do those levers exist?

**** ALSO SOUND PROBLEMS ****

For some reason things are sounding a bit bright and tinny, is that a cartridge alignment issue?

That's messed up. You can balance the tonearm and set the antiskate if you don't have the little finger-lift attached? I mean, you can definitely use the table without it, but that little part would never effect things that much.

Can you take a few pictures of the tonearm, lift/lever and headshell/cart? The weight of that little lift is so unnoticeable you shouldn't really have to rotate the counterweight more than a hair unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

My experience with those orts is that they're "brighter" in that they sound very clean and loud, noticeably so more than other carts I've used. I like em, you get used to it, eventually switched back to grado's.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I'm wondering if I've done enough damage to my stylus where it would need to be replaced. First off, I have a Dual 1246 automatic belt drive. Not sure how standard this is with other automatics, but there's a start/stop switch and an up/down switch for the tonearm. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "down" position will move the tonearm to the starting location for a 12" (or 7" if you have the 45 option on), and the arm will drop. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "up" position will move the arm over the starting location until you flip the tonearm switch to the "down" position.

This is great for a 12" record, but it kind of sucks for a 10" record. Unfortunately I have thrown one of my 10" records on when I've had a few beers, and there have been about 3 or 4 times where I didn't notice the tonearm switch was in the "down" position. As a result, the arm drops, rubs against the rubber slipmat for a second or two, kind of rubs against the platter, and then falls off but doesn't land on the base.

I can't really tell if my records sound noticeably different, but I was wondering if I should look into replacing the stylus since it might be damaged enough to warrant doing so. I don't know if a damaged stylus can also damage your records, so is that something I should be concerned about too?
I think the clear solution is throw out your 10" records.. what the hell is good on a 10" besides my hawkwind bootlegs I never play anyway because they're 10"?

Yes damaged stylus can hurt your records, if you're a cheapo (like me) you can try sighting your needle and making sure its not obviously skewed in any direction but yeah its probably screwed up. That little tiny needle rides in grooves you can't even see and chances its blunted or not happy are high. In my reply I've just guilted myself into replacing my own stylus now because I know its actually a little abused...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's a good budget cartridge to use with a Technics 1200 M3D w. stock headshell?

I'm finally playing my vinyl again but I'm pretty sure I should replace my needle. I'm feeling cheap after shelling out a bundle for a new dustcover/hinges. Yeah I might have my priorities mixed up but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Snowy posted:

What's a good budget cartridge to use with a Technics 1200 M3D w. stock headshell?

I'm finally playing my vinyl again but I'm pretty sure I should replace my needle. I'm feeling cheap after shelling out a bundle for a new dustcover/hinges. Yeah I might have my priorities mixed up but whatever.

If you don't mind going to the $60-$70 range the Shure M97xe is a pretty good one. I have one on my SL-1300 and it's the best I've ever heard. Granted, I haven't heard Grados or Ortofons, but you can't really beat it for the price