Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

traveling midget posted:

Do any of you guys have Amazon Prime and know if the 'everything is free' functions work on Tivo? I can't figure out how to do it, and my account is linked, so I'm guessing no?

Doesn't work. Purchased content will transfer to the box but it won't stream the free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

traveling midget posted:

Do any of you guys have Amazon Prime and know if the 'everything is free' functions work on Tivo? I can't figure out how to do it, and my account is linked, so I'm guessing no?

I have a zillion media boxes in my house and the only one that can use that is my slow rear end Sony blu ray player complete with awful UI.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Roku and Logitech Revue work with it, out of the streaming devices I have.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm considering snagging a Tivo. Up until 6 months ago I actually had a Replay TV which I loved. I'm not much of an HDTV person (I don't really care) and at any rate we went with our cable company's Explorer 8300HD DVR - which in my opinion is a terrible piece of poo poo. Is the basic $99 Tivo significantly better? I just find the guide / menuing / recording stuff really annoying on the DVR we have now. What about lifetime plan - worth doing?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I wouldn't advise buying anything less than the Premiere, which you can easily find for less than $100. TiVo.com should have some refurbished models in their clearance section...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yah I was looking at a new $99 shipped Premier on their site. Saving $20 didn't seem worth it for the refurb.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
You'll probably be fine with a refurb; hell, I got mine off of eBay for $58!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Even w/ a lifetime sub? Any reason to not go lifetime sub?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

n8r posted:

It's a good deal if you think you are going to keep it long enough that it'll pay for itself. They usually offer some kind of deal when a new model comes out allowing you to transfer it for a decent amount.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

n8r posted:

Not really. You'll make back most or even all of the lifetime cost if you sell it on eBay. Unless TiVo goes under but that's looking less and less likely.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

It's a good deal if you think you are going to keep it long enough that it'll pay for itself. They usually offer some kind of deal when a new model comes out allowing you to transfer it for a decent amount.

Did they when the Premiere came out? I thought they were going to, and then they didn't, and that's most of why I didn't upgrade.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The "upgrade" promotion is $100 off of lifetime, I think some people have reported doing better on the phone.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

qirex posted:

The "upgrade" promotion is $100 off of lifetime, I think some people have reported doing better on the phone.
That's not much of a deal. You can get that by buying lifetime with your multi service discount and then canceling your old TiVo. AFAIK, TiVo has only transferred lifetime from one box to another in very rare circumstances. Lifetime has meant "lifetime of the box" since 2000 when TiVo clarified that in their sales terms.
Edit: people on the TiVo forums have reported reps selling customers lifetime for their OLD box for $99 after upgrading to a premiere with lifetime. You can flip the old box on eBay for most of the cost of a full lifetime subscription.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 20, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TiVo has tried all sorts of variations on the pricing schemes for even just the two years that the Premiere's been available.

And hell, in 2006 they stopped even doing lifetime altogether, and they set a deadline date where the only way to activate a box with lifetime was if you had bought some prepaid card at Best Buy. So then of course that just created a secondary market for these cards, and at some point they wised up and brought back lifetime.

They're so schizophrenic about pricing that if you're buying a Premiere now and putting lifetime on it, buy it because you want a Premiere and plan to keep it for more than 2 years (breakeven for $500 at $20/month). However, there does seem to be a "price floor" on eBay and you probably can easily get $350-$400 for a lifetime'd Premiere if you don't want it anymore.

But don't count on any upgrade or transfer offers because only god knows what crazy crap their marketing people will come up with next.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Anyone heard anything else about the "Tivo Preview"? Is that a thing that may actually be coming out?

I currently have 2 Premieres, but the one in my bedroom I just use to grab stuff off the antenna and to stream stuff from the Premiere in my living room. A Preview would be perfect for me, since I really don't need an actual DVR in my bedroom. I see this is on their website, but haven't actually heard anything about it coming out.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/business/Generic_SS-2011_Preview.pdf

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

General E posted:

Anyone heard anything else about the "Tivo Preview"? Is that a thing that may actually be coming out?

I currently have 2 Premieres, but the one in my bedroom I just use to grab stuff off the antenna and to stream stuff from the Premiere in my living room. A Preview would be perfect for me, since I really don't need an actual DVR in my bedroom. I see this is on their website, but haven't actually heard anything about it coming out.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/business/Generic_SS-2011_Preview.pdf

It is A Thing, but who knows if it'll ever be for sale at retail. Right now it's only available for rental from RCN and only in the DC area at that.

http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv/equipment

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Deathlove posted:

Did they when the Premiere came out? I thought they were going to, and then they didn't, and that's most of why I didn't upgrade.

Last I remember it coming up we got lifetime transferred to a Series 3 for $100. Otherwise yeah it's usually a discount off the normal high lifetime price, though there have been exceptions. The idea is that usually the box lasts long enough that you save money in the long run.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The $100 off "upgrade" is not a transfer so you can sill sell your old box with lifetime.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/tivo-q4-transcoder-ip-set-top-box/

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these streamers and their pricing. I could really use this kind of thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm glad they're moving forward with it as a product, upon reflection I'm not sure it's something I would use, but my mom is always asking me if I can make the tivo just play to her ipad. I imagine there are a lot of people out there like her.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I would love the IP-based streaming box. Right now, my bedroom Premiere does nothing but Netflix, Amazon Video, and stuff from my living room Tivo (streaming). I don't even use it as a DVR. If I could replace it with a little streaming box, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Also, when they say "side-load" it onto an iPad, do they mean transfer your shows onto a Tivo app on your iPad? I'd love that -- instead of torrenting shows that I want to take on the road, I can just zap over the ones already sitting on my DVR.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Seriously considering getting a TiVo with some tax return money. A few questions:

Currently I just have expanded basic cable with no cable box. Would I need any sort of accessories to make it work with my TV? I have a 42 inch LCD Sanyo. I'm probably going to buy just the basic Premiere box off their website for $79.99 refurbished.

I see that there's a box here: http://www.tivo.com/products/source/cable/tivo-charter/ through my cable company (Charter, of course.) It is not yet available in my area, so should I just buy a basic TiVo box from their website, or should I wait until this Charter/TiVo hybrid comes out, or won't it make much of a difference?

How big of a free movie selection do they have in their on-demand section? Is there anything that would be even remotely worth watching that I couldn't already watch on Netflix streaming?

Also if I bought a box on eBay, I assume it would not be covered under the standard TiVo warranty, correct?

I'm hoping to order sometime this week if all goes well. Thanks in advance for all your help, fellow Goons!

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 26, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If you just buy a TiVo Premiere, you'll need to get a CableCARD M-Card from Charter, which they should provide you for free. That plugs into the back of the TiVo to decrypt their service.

Also, if you can't plug the TiVo directly into an internet source or a telephone line you'll need a USB WiFi dongle. The TiVo-branded one is very nice but there are cheaper alternatives.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

traveling midget posted:

If you just buy a TiVo Premiere, you'll need to get a CableCARD M-Card from Charter, which they should provide you for free. That plugs into the back of the TiVo to decrypt their service.

Also, if you can't plug the TiVo directly into an internet source or a telephone line you'll need a USB WiFi dongle. The TiVo-branded one is very nice but there are cheaper alternatives.

Are those cablecards easy to install for someone as technologically retarded as myself? Also about what's the price range I can expect to pay for one of those USB Wi-Fi dongles you mentioned? Again, technologically retarded. Thanks in advance.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Retail Slave posted:

Are those cablecards easy to install for someone as technologically retarded as myself? Also about what's the price range I can expect to pay for one of those USB Wi-Fi dongles you mentioned? Again, technologically retarded. Thanks in advance.

I believe they require a cable company technician to install, as it requires handshaking with home base and stuff that is beyond my ken. So you'd probably have to schedule a service appointment. You can't simply walk in to the cable office, ask for a CableCARD, get it, plug it in, and expect everything to work. In my experience, at least.

Inserting them is easy, and I've removed and inserted mine several times, but the actual mating between your TiVo and the cable company is non-trivial.

CableCARDs don't have to be free but they do have to be provided affordably and on request. Mediacom charges me $1.99 a month for the privilege.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Golbez posted:

I believe they require a cable company technician to install, as it requires handshaking with home base and stuff that is beyond my ken. So you'd probably have to schedule a service appointment. You can't simply walk in to the cable office, ask for a CableCARD, get it, plug it in, and expect everything to work. In my experience, at least.

Inserting them is easy, and I've removed and inserted mine several times, but the actual mating between your TiVo and the cable company is non-trivial.

CableCARDs don't have to be free but they do have to be provided affordably and on request. Mediacom charges me $1.99 a month for the privilege.

New FCC rules require cable companies to provide CableCARDs without the need for a service call IF customers can pickup a standard box without a service call. Give Charter a call but you should be able to walk into the cable office and get a card. If they require a service visit, they are not allowed to charge you for it IF they don't charge to install a standard box. Basically, this is how it should have been from the start with CableCARDs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got my Cablecard installed by picking it up myself and then making 3 phone calls to activate it. It should have only taken one call but I had to keep calling Comcast back until I got a CS rep who had heard of Cablecards.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

Seriously considering getting a TiVo with some tax return money. A few questions:

Currently I just have expanded basic cable with no cable box. Would I need any sort of accessories to make it work with my TV? I have a 42 inch LCD Sanyo. I'm probably going to buy just the basic Premiere box off their website for $79.99 refurbished.

I see that there's a box here: http://www.tivo.com/products/source/cable/tivo-charter/ through my cable company (Charter, of course.) It is not yet available in my area, so should I just buy a basic TiVo box from their website, or should I wait until this Charter/TiVo hybrid comes out, or won't it make much of a difference?

How big of a free movie selection do they have in their on-demand section? Is there anything that would be even remotely worth watching that I couldn't already watch on Netflix streaming?

Also if I bought a box on eBay, I assume it would not be covered under the standard TiVo warranty, correct?

I'm hoping to order sometime this week if all goes well. Thanks in advance for all your help, fellow Goons!

I am a Charter customer, in St. Louis.

In my opinion the only compelling thing about the on-demand (at least when I had a cable company owned receiver and could get to it) is that if you subscribe to premium channels, whatever movies are playing that month on those channels are playable instantly through the on-demand service. And the original content back library as well. But if you're on extended basic then you're not getting any premiums now so this may well not even matter at all to you.

The first cable card is included in your package price (since they would normally give you a full receiver that has a cable card in it). They charge me $2 for an additional cable card since I have two TiVo boxes. I don't know about self-installs because I had the cards brought over at the same time the TV service was installed.

What I can tell you is that the install was a pain, because the installer could not get the stupid things provisioned.

Not for any technical reason, just that he showed up 2 hours late for the install appointment. Then he took his sweet time unpacking the tuning adapters and cable cards, so it was like 6:00 in the evening by the time he was even ready to call in to the front office to pair the cards to the TiVo receivers. And when he called, it took another half hour for whoever was left in the office at that time of day to even pick up the phone.

If Charter were to ever be acquired by Comcast, I feel it would be a step up for customer service, and that's saying something

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Retail Slave posted:

If you want to do things like stream Netflix, get a normal Tivo. The ones from Charter are gimped to hell.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

kitten smoothie posted:

I am a Charter customer, in St. Louis.

In my opinion the only compelling thing about the on-demand (at least when I had a cable company owned receiver and could get to it) is that if you subscribe to premium channels, whatever movies are playing that month on those channels are playable instantly through the on-demand service. And the original content back library as well. But if you're on extended basic then you're not getting any premiums now so this may well not even matter at all to you.

The first cable card is included in your package price (since they would normally give you a full receiver that has a cable card in it). They charge me $2 for an additional cable card since I have two TiVo boxes. I don't know about self-installs because I had the cards brought over at the same time the TV service was installed.

What I can tell you is that the install was a pain, because the installer could not get the stupid things provisioned.

Not for any technical reason, just that he showed up 2 hours late for the install appointment. Then he took his sweet time unpacking the tuning adapters and cable cards, so it was like 6:00 in the evening by the time he was even ready to call in to the front office to pair the cards to the TiVo receivers. And when he called, it took another half hour for whoever was left in the office at that time of day to even pick up the phone.

If Charter were to ever be acquired by Comcast, I feel it would be a step up for customer service, and that's saying something

Well, my TiVo box is on the way, plus I drove to the nearest Charter office (50 miles away-- fuckers) today to get the Cablecard and adapter.

The nice TiVo lady said that it should be easy to self-install, while the nice Charter lady said that they "highly recommend" having a tech come over to install it free of charge because "it will be difficult to access the diagnostic screens necessary to make it work properly" (her words). I guess I'll try to follow the directions when it comes on Thursday and then schedule a tech to come over if I can't get it.

Unless some other tech-savvy goons come on and say "No, you'll die" if I try to self-install, and then I'll see if I can get someone here monday morning.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 28, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

Well, my TiVo box is on the way, plus I drove to the nearest Charter office (50 miles away-- fuckers) today to get the Cablecard and adapter.

The nice TiVo lady said that it should be easy to self-install, while the nice Charter lady said that they "highly recommend" having a tech come over to install it free of charge because "it will be difficult to access the diagnostic screens necessary to make it work properly" (her words). I guess I'll try to follow the directions when it comes on Thursday and then schedule a tech to come over if I can't get it.

It's not difficult at all -- follow the directions here. The "diagnostic screens necessary to make it work properly" should appear on their own. If it doesn't, you just follow these menus: Messages & Settings> Account & System Information > CableCARD Decoder.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/cablecard-wizard/index.html

Then you call them, and read off them the numbers that show up on the diagnostic screen so they can "pair" your card with the TiVo. If you ever take the card out, it breaks the pairing and you'll need to call again.

Here are the directions on how to set up the tuning adapter, do this after you've done the CableCARD. You shouldn't need to call them or do anything to turn on the tuning adapter besides wiring it up and connecting it to the TiVo's USB port.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/tivo-tuning-adapter-wizard/

Some people seem to say though to wire up the tuning adapter differently than they did in the video here. The installer who did mine installed a 2-way splitter on the line coming out of the wall. One output went to the tuning adapter, the other to the TiVo receiver.

Charter's instructions on how to wire it are different based on the brand of tuning adapter. I have the Motorla adapter, which they suggest wiring with a splitter, but the Cisco adapter they recommend daisy-chaining it (like how TiVo's video illustrated).

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Customers/Support.aspx?MenuItem=79

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 28, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

kitten smoothie posted:

very helpful words

They gave me the Motorola adapter. I think I have a splitter around here somewhere. Thank you, helpful Goon! Is there anything else I might need?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

They gave me the Motorola adapter. I think I have a splitter around here somewhere. Thank you, helpful Goon! Is there anything else I might need?

Naw, just patience if it doesn't work -- but like I said my problems getting mine going were not technical in nature and were just related to Charter's crap customer service. Once my installer was able to get hold of someone to read off the numbers to, things went dandy for me.

Apparently it looks like you can also activate the cable cards via their online chat customer service, so the people in India (or wherever) that man that chat line can get you going too.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I *just* installed a new Premiere with a CableCARD and it wasn't remotely complicated. The on-screen guide lead me through the steps (Yes, I have a CableCard. I just plugged it in. Help me figure out what channels I have.) The end. No Calling my CableCo. Nothing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

traveling midget posted:

I *just* installed a new Premiere with a CableCARD and it wasn't remotely complicated. The on-screen guide lead me through the steps (Yes, I have a CableCard. I just plugged it in. Help me figure out what channels I have.) The end. No Calling my CableCo. Nothing.

I wish it was this easy for me, we have to call a technician out every time and due to those new regulations you can't even go into the store to swap out a non-Tivo box.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Atasi posted:

I wish it was this easy for me, we have to call a technician out every time and due to those new regulations you can't even go into the store to swap out a non-Tivo box.
Some cable companies really enforce the CableCARD pairings and others don't. This, plus how knowledgeable the customer service rep you get is with CableCARDs pretty much dictates how good or bad your experience will be. Fios doesn't pair the cards to your TiVo, so once the card is added to your account, you can move it around if you want. Cox paired my card to the box and even removing it and reinserting it broke the pairing so I had to call them about it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I appreciate the help. I'll give you progress reports as I go along tomorrow. Hopefully the wife and I won't kill each other while setting it up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is it possible to just use a premier to stream or do you need a 2nd sub? I don't really care about having 1 box to record.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kri kri posted:

Is it possible to just use a premier to stream or do you need a 2nd sub? I don't really care about having 1 box to record.
Nope, it needs to be subscribed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff
I have a Premiere on the way, it's going to end up saving me a little per month over the local company's oh so terrible DVR.

I've seen mentions online of a way to stream video files from a computer or media server, but the info seems pretty outdated. Can anyone point me at a good way to do this?

• Locked thread