Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

You bring up an interesting thing though -- do other players feel guilty when they do obviously terrible poo poo accidentally? It's reassuring you do, I thought I was the only one.
I try to.. Any time I do something that results in sending a guy to the ice I usually holler "sorry" and if there's opportunity, do a drive by of the bench and apologize again if they're sitting.

quote:

I'd love to see what others are doing.
I started using hockeyot.com about a month ago, not enough time to decide if it's helping but the workouts kick my rear end so I expect it's going to help eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Gio posted:

Recap: Warrior Bully gloves blow. Had 'em for almost a year, I think, and the stitching on the palms is already frayed considerably. As in, it looks like I will have no palm eventually.

Yes, Warrior has some serious QC problems. Every Warrior product I've bought has just had the stitching absolute EXPLODE.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I guess I figured I'd chime in. I just started playing ice around a year and a half ago. I haven't worn a cage at all while playing. I actually never even wore a visor. Anyway, I've gotten a stick in the face once or twice, but I've found that being aware of where the puck is and where people are skating and what they're doing has gone a long way in keeping me from getting hurt. Like bigmike said, I also learned to sort of protect myself if it looks like I may get hit. The only time I've actually gotten a significant head injury was a concussion I got from screening the goalie. He (or his teammate) pushed my back and I lost my balance and fell forward and hit my chin off the ice. Other than that though, I haven't really had anything happen. This is all pickup too, because I haven't really been able to join a team yet.

I mean it's anecdotal evidence, but I don't feel unsafe not wearing a cage, even when screening a goalie or practicing deflections. I actually like how much easier it is to see what's going on without a cage (I wore a hockey helmet + cage for full contact sparring and stuff in karate when I was younger which is my basis for comparison).

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Since playing in a league that allows visors, I've gotten hit in the face from a teammate far more (twice in 3 years) than I have by opponents (once). Guys definitely keep their sticks down more in a visor league than a cage only league. you hit a guy in the face with a highstick in a cage league, you get 2 minutes to feel shame. You hit a guy in the face in a visor league, a crowd gathers, you get 2, a crowd gathers, and your teammates have to bail you out. there's a bunch of penalties, likely causing an even strength situation, but it doesn't matter.

Sure, that doesn't seem like much of a deterrence, and yet it totally is. Also, only twice have I ended with a cut where I actually bled, and again, both times caused by teammates. Straight up, I think that the reason I've been cut by teammates only is because I'm not expecting it, but who knows. What I mean is if I'm going into a situation a stick might come up with an opponent, I protect myself better than I do if it's a teammate, which is my own drat fault for trusting them too much.

Also, I was complaining about not liking an 85 flex stick vs. my old 100 flex, so I took the advice of the thread and shot a couple hundred pucks and mostly figured it out. I lowered my bottom hand about an inch when taking slappers, and that took care of the terrible (pushing through the stick so hard that I was winding up falling down) slappers, and have mostly found out how to adjust for wrist/snap shots.

I mostly still don't see the benefit, but I for sure get why guys like that. I can get a quick shot off in no time, sure it's more inaccurate, but the shot gets off. Whereas with the 100 flex, it takes a split second more, and it might not be a shot at all.

i tried to get video while I was shooting to see if there might be some mechanic I was loving up, but my lovely phone decided not to save the footage (it was poo poo anyway). I admittedly still don't get why guys that weigh more than me would ever want a whippier stick than this, but certainly see the benefit now, so thanks guys :3:

e. The only concussions I've ever gotten have been while wearing a cage so yay anecdotal evidence! Nah, I definitely buy that bigmike is right in saying that there are more concussions with cages, but that those without are more severe. My reasoning to the why, which is likely completely off base, is that the hits that make impact with the (bigger than your face) cage are more likely to cause the torsional effects that cause concussions, but the safety provided from the worst effects (ie direct hits to chin/face/head) are lessened. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ADVOCACY TO NOT WHERE A CAGE, loving WEAR ONE. I wish I had never reffed, cause then I wouldn't know how awesome the visor felt and therefore would still wear a cage today.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 19, 2012

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Didn't you just say you got submarined and subsequently punched in the face anyways? They always seem to find a way, wearing a cage or not...

This is my first season playing forward and coupled with a real dedicated training schedule I've been dominating a division where for years I've only been above average (I'm probably the worst player on my other team, in div 1, where I still play D). With 8 games left in the season I have 92 points and my career high was 67. I can't lie, it feels amazing but I'm definitely starting to draw attention now. I'm not a big guy and rely on my speed and skating. For about the last ten or so games I've been getting run, hacked and cheap-shotted on a constant basis. Ive been told it comes with the territory, but like I said, it's pretty new territory for me.

In one game, a team of all really small and chippy players were giving me the usual treatment. A lot of times I'm fast enough to step around a guy when he's trying to hit me, but one guy in particular was hanging his knee out every time. With about 3 minutes left he caught me knee on knee on his fourth try and I snapped and cross checked him as hard as I could in his back. Four guys tried to jump me and I was able to absorb three hits until the fourth guy submarined me.

Funny thing was one on of my teammates from my div 1 team has been telling me all year that I can't put up with that stuff and I need to snap once in a while to keep guys in line. That also happened to be his div 3 team I was playing against.

quote:

You bring up an interesting thing though -- do other players feel guilty when they do obviously terrible poo poo accidentally? It's reassuring you do, I thought I was the only one. Hell most of the time I'm making sure people are ok even if it's their own stupidity that caused them to skate with their head down or do whatever that caused them to go down hard. Just seems like most players don't give a gently caress about anyone, at least in the leagues I'm currently playing in.

I don't mind physical play as long as players respect that everyone has jobs and lives that they have to get back to. I've always apologized whenever I catch someone with a stick or a hit. If I need to settle a score or send a message, it's usually a "clean" (if hitting were allowed) bodycheck, and I do my 2 in the box, the above story notwithstanding. I definitely have slashed and hit guys, but it's always a hockey play, usually to separate them from the puck. I just can't get my mind around making dirty plays. It just feels so scummy. It does seem like we're in the minority here.

quote:

And the point you made about the single biggest improvement to your game being increasing your strength is very true. You mention crossfit specifically, did you join a crossfit gym or are you doing tabata style interval training with standard weight training at your gym? What are some workouts you are doing -- I am doing mostly body weight crossfit based work outs and while they're better than nothing I'd love to see what others are doing.

So I've been doing Starting Strength which is three barbell exercises three times a week. Depending on how much time and energy I have left I'll do some crossfit exercises. Since by then I'll have already been working out for about an hour, it's usually not anything heavy. At that point I'm going for the high rep, low rest stuff. Doing a Fight Gone Bad afterward is about the most intense accessory work I've done. I don't totally understand crossfit because some of their workouts are like 3 minutes long. Do people go to the gym, warm up, work out for 3 minutes and go home?

I usually just try to throw together stuff that lasts about 15 minutes. One example would be 8 snatch reps and then battle ropes to failure, and do that three times with as little rest as possible. I usually like to pick an explosive movement and then superset with something relatively safe that I can do to failure (box jumps, battle ropes, burpees). Sometimes I'll do two or three tabata rounds after my SS workout with kettle bells or sled pushes. I don't really have a strict schedule beyond the SS exercises, I just try to have fun and do whatever I feel like that day. Memories of getting punched in the face or cross checked from behind in the boards are pretty good motivators for trying to get my strength up.

I recently switched from the YMCA to a pretty unique gym. They're a normal gym but they have almost all the crossfit gear and a big indoor turf for sprints and sled pushes. They're trying to tailor toward athletes and a couple of the trainers are former NFL players. I like being able to do stuff on my own, but I've heard the group environment of crossfit is nice too.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 19, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love to have a gym with some turf or even some open floor space.

My gym is nice in general, but they stuffed every last inch of floor with machines because that's what the crowds like I guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I did crossfit for a while at a crossfit gym. Each gym seems pretty different but SoCal has the most Crossfit gyms or boxes or whatever they call them in such a concentrated area so that might be why there is so much variety. Our workouts were definitely at around 15 minutes minimum, if not much longer. The 3 min workouts weren't anything we did. Also all of our classes included a generic warm up that were more intense the days that we had a "shorter" workout.

Crossfit is fun, but as someone who is not familiar with doing olympic lifts, I managed to hurt myself pretty badly when my form became compromised due to the intensity/length of the workout. Also because I'm not used to being old. But yeah it makes a ton of sense for hockey if you don't get scoffed out of the gym because your #1 sport isn't Crossfit.

Where is your gym? It sounds pretty incredible.

Edit: For everyone else, here are some Crossfit inspired workouts you can do without a gym or any equipment -- these are made for Crossfitters who have to travel or otherwise not go to the gym for a few days (credit Brick Crossfit:

Metabolic Conditioning
1 Round of:
Walking lunge 400m
150 burpees

4 rounds of:
Run 400m
50 squats

100-75-50-25 reps:
situps
flutterkicks (4 count)
V Ups
50 burpees
jump 12” above max reach each one.
Cumulative L-hold for total of 5:00. Use the floor or you can stack books or use chairs to elevate. Stop timer when you drop out of position.
Record total time it takes to get to the 5:00 mark.

Body Weight WODs

Crouching Tiger
50 squats
25 pushups
50 pistols
25 fingertip pushups
50 side lunges
25 knuckle pushups
50 walking lunges
25 diamond pushups

The Visitor
50 V Ups
50 situps
Run 400m
100 flutterkicks
100 situps
Run 400m

Top and Bottom
20-16-12-8-4 reps of:
Clapping pushups
Pistols (Right and Left Leg = 1rep)

Ups
4 rounds of:
50 pushups
50 situps
50 4ct flutterkicks (L,R,L,R = 1)

Tabata
1 round Tabata sprints (hills if possible)
1 round Tabata bottom-to-bottom squats (You start in a squat and rest in a squat)
There is no rest between exercises. Stop Watch Needed

AMRAP
As many rounds as possible in 12 minutes of:
10 pushups
15 situps
20 walking lunges

Puke
21-15-9 reps of:
lunges (Each leg ½ rep)
situps
burpees

Climber
5 rounds of:
50 mountain climbers (4 count)
25 situps

Lumberjacks
5 rounds of:
100 jumping jacks
100 mountain climbers (Each leg = 1 rep)

The Prison Workout
Burpees: 20-19-18 … 3-2-1
Walking lunge 25m after each set (or do 25 lunges in place)
Long Cycle Burpees ( 1 squat, 1 push-up, 1 sit-up, 1 Superman, 1 tuck Jump, I think)

Laziness
50 rounds of:
1 squat
1 pushup
1 situp
1 superman (Laying prone on stomach, arch your back while raising your arms and legs off the ground, as if flying)
1 tuck jump

Holds
5 rounds of:
30 second isometric squat hold (Just below 90°)
20 squats
30 seconds isometric Plank Hold
20 pushups

sellouts fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 19, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've only had one incident with wearing a visor where somebody tried to hook my stick while I had the puck, and cracked me square in the bottom of the nose.

It hurt like all hell and bled like crazy. I left the game and got the bleeding to stop after about 5 minutes or so. I went back and played, and scored two goals. Xrays at the hospital afterwards were negative.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Look Around You posted:

:words:
One concussion in 18 months is not a very good rate.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

coldwind posted:

One concussion in 18 months is not a very good rate.

I don't know how much a cage would have helped with falling forward and hitting my head off the ice without getting my arms out in time really. I mean the same forces would have happened regardless, especially because I didn't have a mouthguard in. I mean the chin pad may have helped a bit but the way I hit it doesn't seem like it'd make that much of a difference.

e: looking at it, it may have helped though. I don't know, it all comes down to personal preference really.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 19, 2012

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I don't know how much a cage would have helped with falling forward and hitting my head off the ice without getting my arms out in time really. I mean the same forces would have happened regardless, especially because I didn't have a mouthguard in. I mean the chin pad may have helped a bit but the way I hit it doesn't seem like it'd make that much of a difference.
Then you should have said that. Of course, you don't really know. Would the same forces have really happened if you had an object between the ice and your chin? Probably not. Plus, they'd likely be more distributed, spatially and temporally.

Of course, my point is that touting your personal case as an exemplar of cage-less, visor-less safety is ridiculous because your concussion rate is bad. It'd be like saying how safe your city is because you've only sustained one gunshot wound in the last 18 months.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 19, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, how long is CageChat Round 2 going to last?

Can we get back to fur gloves, bronze league game recaps, and other things that matter?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Goddamit why are none of the President Weekend deals good for some new 4Roll gloves :argh:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They'll have to pry my tan colored Eagle PPFs from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Oh and it's been over a week since I picked up a couple of APX blade/shaft combos, and I love them. I did have an issue on both with the blades coming slightly loose, but I just put one layer of tape around the blade tenon and applied some new glue, and happily I can report no more issues.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2012

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
OK, so these new jerseys included these Reebok EDGE socks. How in the hell am I supposed to wear these things? They have a velcro strap thing that doesn't really strap on to anything. I wear these jock shorts with the velcro near the bottoms.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I splurged a bit and went with the X89s in black. I'm a plain individual.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

trilljester posted:

OK, so these new jerseys included these Reebok EDGE socks. How in the hell am I supposed to wear these things? They have a velcro strap thing that doesn't really strap on to anything. I wear these jock shorts with the velcro near the bottoms.

I just got some of those and wore them for the first time on Friday. Velcro tab goes on the front velcro of your jock shorts and then just sort of stick the back of them on the velcro on the back of your shorts. It seemed kind of tentative but they stayed up the whole time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

trilljester posted:

Remove the loose piece of velcro. I haven't found any use for it. You should then be able to velcro it to your shorts like normal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

shyguy posted:

Remove the loose piece of velcro. I haven't found any use for it. You should then be able to velcro it to your shorts like normal.

I'm considering sewing that loose piece on the back.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

e: not gdt lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So apparently Great Skate's headquarters and sole brick and mortar store is a horrible place to shop

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HockeyGiant's HQ in Anaheim was the complete opposite, even if their selection was somewhat lacking compared to the website.

I was down there yesterday and it was 15% off all Bauer and Mission, in store only. I thought "Well I can just use the code online" only to find out it doesn't work for anything really. Great.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

shyguy posted:

Got it. I just tried them on. Seems like they are super loose, like they bunch up on my shin pads. They look nice though!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Hockey Across America weekend.. my team plays Wednesday:cool:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Hockey Across America weekend.. my team plays Wednesday:cool:

I'm subbing tonight. I'm actually surprised I got the call, this team typically always has a full bench, but they were at 11 this morning, so gently caress yes, I'll lace them up! I think we have another 2 week break coming up too. :(

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I've played Friday, Saturday, and now tonight at 10:50. Thank god I have tomorrow off. I'm tired.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

shyguy posted:

So apparently Great Skate's headquarters and sole brick and mortar store is a horrible place to shop

I've been there a couple of times. Though I didn't really need to ask for any help the people didn't seem that bad...

edit: the edge socks... these help to hold them up IME

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Topoisomerase posted:

I've been there a couple of times. Though I didn't really need to ask for any help the people didn't seem that bad...

edit: the edge socks... these help to hold them up IME

I'm going to try clear tape tonight and see if that keeps them tight, otherwise I'm going with those straps. Thanks!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

shyguy posted:

It sure is...pretty much everyone who works there is a Buffalo beer league superstar. They all act like they're WAY above you in every aspect of life. And the owner is an rear end in a top hat because he has a son who briefly made the NHL, got injured and never made it back.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

:words:

Those routines look great, I'll have to try some out. I've done a filthy fifty routine and others that are a bunch of reps of ten different exercises. Endurance has always been a strength for me. I just love the part of the game when everyone's gassed and it's all about who can will that next bit of power out. I think that's why a lot of the crossfit stuff is so appealing to me.

My gym's in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver. The owner used to run a smaller powerlifting gym until he opened this place. It's new which is kind of sweet because it's almost always empty. Although I hope business picks up a little bit because I don't want them to go out of business.

We beat a team today that has players from Team Canada (roller) and a guy that plays for the Tour Mudcats. It's only the second time in eight seasons we've beaten them. Bruised up pretty good, but its a lot easier to sacrifice the body when you're not getting pumped 10-1. :feelsgood:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So, playing goalie about killed me. I am not use to the stress of playing this position. By the start of the 3rd, my back was pretty sore. I was also using too short of a stick, which lead to some pretty awful five-hole goals. I still managed to get my team their first win of the season, but I good lord I was sore the next day. Maybe it just takes getting use to, but I don't know how goalies do it.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
So apparently one of our d-men was playing while concussed. When our captain (a neurosurgeon) found out, he basically told him he wasn't playing another game till he's cleared to play by a doc and I got "promoted" back to defense.

Third shift I go into the boards awkwardly and feel a pop in my knee. Doesn't hurt, so I keep playing -- you know like a real beer leaguer. As the day goes on of course it hurts more and more and continues to swell. I'm very excited about being on the snake-bitten team.

Now for a question about penalties:

A guy on our team is about to be called for a hook, delayed call. Their goalie rushes to the bench but their extra skater joins the play before the goalie makes it and the ref stops the play for too much mans. My question is, shouldn't they have been two independent penalties since they happened on "unique" parts of the play? We both had to send someone to the box but skated full strength, which to me was odd.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

cenzo posted:

A guy on our team is about to be called for a hook, delayed call. Their goalie rushes to the bench but their extra skater joins the play before the goalie makes it and the ref stops the play for too much mans. My question is, shouldn't they have been two independent penalties since they happened on "unique" parts of the play? We both had to send someone to the box but skated full strength, which to me was odd.

In both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada, it doesn't matter if the penalties occurred on the same "play" just that they occur at the same stoppage. So yes, you would both have to put a guy in the box for the 2 minute coincidental penalty, with no shorthanded situation.

Now, we could argue that the ref made the wrong call assessing too much mans, as it was likely actually illegal substitution (where the penalty is just a stoppage), but that requires a bit more context.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Dangerllama posted:

Holy poo poo, how long is CageChat Round 2 going to last?

Round 2? Is the year broken up into four three month seasons?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Cagechat Playoffs: Fact, silver colored cages are proven to cause a higher rate of concussion.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Minister Robathan posted:

In both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada, it doesn't matter if the penalties occurred on the same "play" just that they occur at the same stoppage. So yes, you would both have to put a guy in the box for the 2 minute coincidental penalty, with no shorthanded situation.

Now, we could argue that the ref made the wrong call assessing too much mans, as it was likely actually illegal substitution (where the penalty is just a stoppage), but that requires a bit more context.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. The series of events as they happened were the delayed call was initiated (ref hand went up) goalie was charging for the bench but the skater hopped the bench and played the puck before the goalie was on the bench. He actually received a drop pass during as they were coming through the neutral zone. Not sure if that's enough context.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking since it happened in an NHL game in the last little bit, where the extra skater came on too fast but did not do anything in the play so it was just blown dead. I suppose the difference between illegal substitution and too much mans would be if the extra skater played the puck or not?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've been watching random vids on youtube of hockey, and I've been watching a lot of vids of "AAA Tier-1" :rolleyes: Pee-Wee through Midget, and I'm wondering where the hell this trend of pro-level matching equipment came from. I never had purple helmets or maroon gloves when I played travel. I didn't wear matching socks half the time.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but it's bothersome because I remember how ridiculuously expensive to play in some of the leagues I did growing up but, but I can't even imagine what it's like in these with almost pro-level travel schedules to go with it. Forget talent kid, if your parents are broke, or even doing somewhat well you're most likely hosed. It's frustrating. A team of 10 year olds shouldn't be outfitted like they're the Flyers.

Maybe if they played the game better too, but I haven't came across anything all that impressive yet.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 20, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I don't remember a time I didn't have matching socks, but on a couple of teams I remember getting gloves. The colors didn't match, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

shyguy posted:

I didn't wear matching socks half the time.

Our team sponsor just handed us a bag of jerseys as well as matching socks. Problem being, I suppose, is that we are in Colorado and the socks are all Red Wings red-on-white. Myself and another Michigan native are the only ones psyched for hockey town.