Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
What I can't believe is that I remember when I saw the first house -- the burned out husk with snow everywhere -- and I couldn't stop staring at it. It seemed impossible that such things could be done with LEGO.

Now I look at it compared to his other two masterpieces, and it feels almost amateurish. Like something a kid would build after looking at the other two models.

How does one step up their game that quickly in such a short period of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I need help, LEGOons!

A while ago I remember seeing a website that sold non-official display cases for minifigs. The cases were clear acrylic rectangles and had space for just one minifig. And now I cannot find them again.
Anyone know where to find 'em?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

The_Doctor posted:

Every time I see those.. I'm convinced they're not real and just have some bricks shopped in.

It's certainly been photoshopped - the image is completely desaturated, which is part of the reason for its look.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Flavor Bear posted:

I need help, LEGOons!

A while ago I remember seeing a website that sold non-official display cases for minifigs. The cases were clear acrylic rectangles and had space for just one minifig. And now I cannot find them again.
Anyone know where to find 'em?

This isn't what you're looking for is it?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It sounds like he's thinking of these things or something similar:

There's some people selling them on BrickLink as "Trans-Clear Minifig Display Case, 4x4x6" if you want to order some, but they're pretty expensive for what they are. They also don't appear to have enough room for the larger accessories.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

John Carstairs posted:

It sounds like he's thinking of these things or something similar:

There's some people selling them on BrickLink as "Trans-Clear Minifig Display Case, 4x4x6" if you want to order some, but they're pretty expensive for what they are. They also don't appear to have enough room for the larger accessories.
Ah, that's it.
Didn't think to look on Bricklink since they're not official pieces.
I just need the one so I can display the butcher minifig in my butcher shop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gasp! From way back, people may remember i was asking about making a large clear cylinder, but Lego only made the part in smoky transparent. Lego now do it in clear because of Friends! :toot:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Do you like microscale building? Do you like SNOT? Do you like cheese wedges (especially orange ones!) Do you like Star Wars?

If you said yes to any of the above, you NEED to buy this loving set.

The final pod racers are actually pretty goddamn huge. Probably a foot and a half long, as an estimate, but the fine detail and hundreds of tiny pieces make it feel much more like building in microscale then anything else I could compare this set to.

Both engines and cockpits abuse the concepts of SNOT, and when you're done there's barely any visible studs. The few places where studs aren't covered, really add to the aesthetic of the set.

Even the minifigs are cool!

I didn't go into this set with very high hopes, but holy poo poo it was fun to build. I'd even rank it higher than the Millennium Falcon. It might have less pieces, but it took longer to build and was much more complex.

My star wars shelf is pretty full now. (also dusty. I should fix that.)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I built my first set in almost 10 years today (X-Wing 9493). I had a absolute blast doing it. I did end up with a few extra parts at the end. I looked over the build when I was done and didn't see anything missing or any odd looking bits.

Is it common with the newer sets to sometimes get a few extra parts with them?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Norns posted:

I built my first set in almost 10 years today (X-Wing 9493). I had a absolute blast doing it. I did end up with a few extra parts at the end. I looked over the build when I was done and didn't see anything missing or any odd looking bits.

Is it common with the newer sets to sometimes get a few extra parts with them?

I've never had a Lego set that didn't come with some extra parts. They tend to be the smallest pieces, so im not sure whether they add them intentionally because they are easy to lose, or accidentally because the machines have a hard time telling the weight difference.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Funkmaster General posted:

I've never had a Lego set that didn't come with some extra parts. They tend to be the smallest pieces, so im not sure whether they add them intentionally because they are easy to lose, or accidentally because the machines have a hard time telling the weight difference.

Okay good, that makes me feel a lot better. Every piece left was small parts.

On top of picking up that X Wing I also grabbed a Millennium Falcon set that I plan on putting together tomorrow.

I can already tell I'm going to end up spending a metric fuckton on this...

=D

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I think their scales can easily detect the weight difference of even a single of the smallest part, but there's point where it's not economically feasible to open and check the bag when it's such a small variance. I would assume they check everything if it's underweight, and only check overweight items if it's more than whatever a standard 2x4 bricks weighs.

I remember reading stories when I was a kid how Nintendo could weigh an entire palette of NES boxes and the scales could detect whether they forgot to include a single mail-in card in one box.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

The_Doctor posted:

Gasp! From way back, people may remember i was asking about making a large clear cylinder, but Lego only made the part in smoky transparent. Lego now do it in clear because of Friends! :toot:

I remember you asking; which Friends set has it?
---
Took advantage of the last day of TRU's 2/$5 S6, grabbed eight at random. Got most of what I wanted, including two of those awesome gunslingers. And earlier I got Space Chick; still need Hugbot.

Apparently this week's deal is b1g1 1/2 off town sets or something.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I bought the City cherrypicker today, and just noticed that the number plate stickers match up to the product code.

I'm unsure why I like the municipal vehicles so much (diggers, recycling truck, street sweepers) because I have no attachment to them in real life. It must be the yellow bricks.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wasn't prepared for how big the Imperial Shuttle is. Compared to the other sets I've gotten, even the box it came in is gigantic. I thought that this model would have numbered bags like the other ones I've gotten, but I just had to do mass sorting at the beginning. I'm not done with it yet, I stopped after I finished Book 1 but this is already looking great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll always remember the Lego version of Anakin's podracer for how I took the engine flaps and the cockpit and made an awesome helicopter of death with lasers mounted on each blade of the rotor.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Dead Alice posted:

I bought the City cherrypicker today, and just noticed that the number plate stickers match up to the product code.

Little touches like this show up pretty frequently in Lego sets. The Technic Tow Truck is labelled "Wabra's Road Service" and has the license plate "UW34AP", while the Crane Truck is labelled "UW Lifting Service" and has the license plate "W4-BR4". All of these elements are in reference to Uwe Wabra, the designer of both models (he was 34 when the Tow Truck was released, not sure what the "AP" in the license plate refers to).

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pay attention to what the extra pieces are.
You'll get 1 extra of every color cheese wedge, 1x1 round plate, 1x1 tile, standard technic pin, droid arm, minifig visor (I don't think the hemisphere visors from the new City Space or Atlantis sets are included), and sometimes small minifig accessories like the Indian feathers. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

It's perfectly intentional. I'm just not sure why 1x1 square plates aren't included.

So if you have a set that uses 1 cheese wedge each in blue, clear, trans-black, and trans-orange, you'll get 8 cheese wedges, two of each color. Have two battle droids, each with a straight and a bent arm? You'll get 3 bent and 3 straight arms.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saint Sputnik posted:

I remember you asking; which Friends set has it?

3061 City Park Cafe. Of course there are now a load on Bricklink.

I actually found out from this site http://en.bricker.ru/parts/30562/ which is wonderfully laid out and useful.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think their scales can easily detect the weight difference of even a single of the smallest part, but there's point where it's not economically feasible to open and check the bag when it's such a small variance. I would assume they check everything if it's underweight, and only check overweight items if it's more than whatever a standard 2x4 bricks weighs.

I remember reading stories when I was a kid how Nintendo could weigh an entire palette of NES boxes and the scales could detect whether they forgot to include a single mail-in card in one box.

I used to work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, they weighed barrels of pills to the nanogram for FDA/DEA purposes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pyroclastic posted:

Pay attention to what the extra pieces are.
You'll get 1 extra of every color cheese wedge, 1x1 round plate, 1x1 tile, standard technic pin, droid arm, minifig visor (I don't think the hemisphere visors from the new City Space or Atlantis sets are included), and sometimes small minifig accessories like the Indian feathers. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

It's true, but baffling. I mean, I guess those visors are easier to lose than most pieces, but having surplus visors doesn't really help me - they're not really functional as anything but visors, and not all helmets fit all visors, either.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

snortpocket posted:

(he was 34 when the Tow Truck was released, not sure what the "AP" in the license plate refers to).

They said in that lego documentary that was posted a few pages back (the police station one) that the license plates now correspond to one of the set designer's initials and the set number. It's possible there was more than one designer on the set, so they included extra initials. The Recycle Center set comes with 2 different plate stickers, one for each vehicle. Both have the same number (set number) but with different initials.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dead Alice posted:

I'm unsure why I like the municipal vehicles so much (diggers, recycling truck, street sweepers) because I have no attachment to them in real life. It must be the yellow bricks.

Are you a fan of Dirty Jobs? Because I see those sets and wonder how easy it'd be to make Barsky, Troy, Doug, and Mike Rowe minifigs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, the Imperial Shuttle looks awesome in person! I wasn't expecting it to be so big, those two wings add a lot of length to it. I was also surprised to see the bags were not numbered like I had come to expect from my recent lego builds, so I had to take everything out at once and sort it all. That made the entire build feel more like it had years ago, huge piles of lego and hunting through them to find the right piece. I definitely prefer the numbering system, though.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Red posted:

It's true, but baffling. I mean, I guess those visors are easier to lose than most pieces, but having surplus visors doesn't really help me - they're not really functional as anything but visors, and not all helmets fit all visors, either.

I beg to differ:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmorran/3991487740/
:colbert:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Your Lottery posted:

I beg to differ:

Lego MOC rule number 28: Never call a piece useless. Someone will prove you wrong.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
So I was looking for a project to work on to brush up on a few different development skills and I ended up deciding to work on a Lego Amazon price-checker as (a) it was a convergance of a lot of these skills and (b) I'm a compulsive bargain hunter and would actually use this thing. I'm planning to do some pretty fancy stuff with it eventually, but for now it's pretty much just data. But while I have this data I thought I might as well share it so I'm dumping it to a webpage here.

You need to be coming from SA to view it so bookmark this post, not that page. At the moment I'm only updating it manually daily. But it should be automated and hourly by the end of the week or so. I know other sites do this, but eventually I'm planning to incorporate some stuff that I don't think anyone else is doing. One of the main ones is looking at some kind of wishlist/push notification system to alert you when certain sets hit certain prices.... although that might be a little ambitious. Also, I've already found (and bought) something cool that Bricklink missed, so theres that at least. Edit: Oh, UK and US only at present.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 20, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

The coolest thing

This is the best thing and you are an awesome person.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of Amazon bargains I seem to be gathering lots of Atlantis sets despite the fact that I don't really like the line. I'd build a couple of subs so far and just didn't like the style or the big pieces or the "play" features that were prone to falling apart.

So I reluctantly opened the Deep Sea Striker today and was pleasantly suprised. Despite the technic core and a few big pieces and all lots of things that moved it's a pretty drat bad-rear end sea scorpion. Looks really impressive and, unlike the subs it's really, really sturdy. My kid was playing with it for ages today (actually playing not just touching it while I hovered over him shouting BE CAREFUL THAT TOY IS NOT A TOY and it remained almost completely in one piece. Next up Guardian of the Deep killer shark.

Oh a little one man mini-sub thing came with it and that falls apart if you look at it wrong.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Welp, decided to go out and spend even more money on little bricks, so I picked up the Batwing / Joker copter set to go along with the Lex and Batmobile sets. I also picked up the flying saucer that abducts the little farmer. Now all I need is a proper grey alien or two to go in it.

I thought about picking up that Tantive IV escape pod with Artoo and Threepio, but it was $20 and fairly basic and I dunno if it's worth it, but I don't have a C-3PO (then again there are a lot of semi-affordable minifigs on Bricklink.)

I really want that new Millennium Falcon but it's 140 bucks. Guess I better save up for that one. Luckily the Monster Fighters don't come out till summer as those are really gonna burn a hole in my wallet. Especially Dracula's Castle. :swoon:

Been thinking about trying to dig out my old buckets of Legos and trying to rebuild a few vintage sets, namely this one:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6085-1
1988's Black Monarch's Castle. Oh boy, was I happy that Christmas when I got that castle.

Here's another one of my favorite childhood sets:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=1682-1
The 1990 Space Shuttle.

The coolest MOCs I made as a kid were a huge red monster truck, and a giant black robot with a transparent green cape that was made out of various blacktron parts, namely the Alpha Centauri Outpost.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Your Lottery posted:

I beg to differ:

drat, I spent 20 minutes looking for that MOC to prove him wrong, but couldn't find it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

So I was looking for a project to work on to brush up on a few different development skills and I ended up deciding to work on a Lego Amazon price-checker as (a) it was a convergance of a lot of these skills and (b) I'm a compulsive bargain hunter and would actually use this thing. I'm planning to do some pretty fancy stuff with it eventually, but for now it's pretty much just data. But while I have this data I thought I might as well share it so I'm dumping it to a webpage here.

You need to be coming from SA to view it so bookmark this post, not that page. At the moment I'm only updating it manually daily. But it should be automated and hourly by the end of the week or so. I know other sites do this, but eventually I'm planning to incorporate some stuff that I don't think anyone else is doing. One of the main ones is looking at some kind of wishlist/push notification system to alert you when certain sets hit certain prices.... although that might be a little ambitious. Also, I've already found (and bought) something cool that Bricklink missed, so theres that at least. Edit: Oh, UK and US only at present.
This is awesome and it has shown me that there's a TIE Defender which I need to order.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought about picking up that Tantive IV escape pod with Artoo and Threepio, but it was $20 and fairly basic and I dunno if it's worth it, but I don't have a C-3PO (then again there are a lot of semi-affordable minifigs on Bricklink.)

That's the same things with me and not pulling the trigger, that $20 price point on it. Most likely I'm going to break down and get it because I want the sweet Sand Troopers also. It's almost like buying 4 series 6 figures in my mind

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrChud posted:

That's the same things with me and not pulling the trigger, that $20 price point on it. Most likely I'm going to break down and get it because I want the sweet Sand Troopers also. It's almost like buying 4 series 6 figures in my mind
Haha, I picked up some little City set at Target because it was $8 and included four minifigs.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I didn't see this posted here.

How Lego is made doco!

Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puo6yvgoKfI

Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgDQisqx6M&feature=related

Part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHjd6XmySA&feature=related

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gravy Jones posted:

Atlantis sets

I've been getting a lot of them to make space sets with when I find them on sale. Guess there's going to be an intergalactic race of fish-men.

That Amazon thing is killer by the way, thanks!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
gently caress, that amazon app is useful as gently caress.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Gravy Jones posted:

I'd recommend comparing the prices to the MSRP because Amazon's list price is sometimes all over the place. Take the set my wife is looking at, Emma's Splash Pool 3931.

Amazon - List price $9.99, selling for $6.99 (30% off)
Toys R Us - Normal price $6.99
Lego.com - Normal price $5.99
Brickset - Recorded as $5.99 normal price

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Gravy Jones posted:

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Tracktor already does a drat good job of this. So good, in fact, that I forget it's not a part of Amazon normally. For instance, right now I can tell that the price on the Black Pearl fluctuates pretty wildly, and as near as the 2nd of February, it was at an all time low of $79. That seems to happen about once a month right now, so I've set an alert to email me when it dips below $81. It's not a bad price right now, a month ago it was $120, but I'm holding out for better.

Lunar Limo, on the other hand, if we look back over the year, is trending higher. It still occasionally dips down to historic lows, so I'm still holding out on buying that one too, but if it goes much higher...

einTier fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Shin-chan posted:

They said in that lego documentary that was posted a few pages back (the police station one) that the license plates now correspond to one of the set designer's initials and the set number. It's possible there was more than one designer on the set, so they included extra initials. The Recycle Center set comes with 2 different plate stickers, one for each vehicle. Both have the same number (set number) but with different initials.

Ah, didn't think of that. Probably this guy then.