Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporkupine
Apr 1, 2009

alea iacta est

cyberia posted:

I bought a bunch of small radishes today, what's the best way to serve them?

I always liked radishes with mint butter and a huge amount of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

sporkupine posted:

I always liked radishes with mint butter and a huge amount of salt.

I know it should be obvious but do I cook them first? If so, should I boil, grill, roast?

I had some in a salad recently that were good. For salad do I just slice and eat or do I need to pickle them first?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

cyberia posted:

I know it should be obvious but do I cook them first? If so, should I boil, grill, roast?

I had some in a salad recently that were good. For salad do I just slice and eat or do I need to pickle them first?

You can just slice and eat, yes. At the restaurant we would slice very thin on a mandolin, and if you have extra you can hold them in water -- changing the water when it gets "farty"

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
We picked up two fresh artichokes on our way to Monterrey Bay today, and I'm completely lost as to what to make with them. I know there's the normal artichoke and spinach dip that everyone does, but I was hoping for maybe a side dish/main dish recipe I could use it in. Any suggestions?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lullabee posted:

We picked up two fresh artichokes on our way to Monterrey Bay today, and I'm completely lost as to what to make with them. I know there's the normal artichoke and spinach dip that everyone does, but I was hoping for maybe a side dish/main dish recipe I could use it in. Any suggestions?
Growing up, my mom would steam artichokes. And eat it. That was dinner. Steam it until the outer leaves come off easily, or about 30 minutes or so. She always served it with melted butter, but last time I cooked an artichoke for myself, I used aioli. Apparently some people use mayonnaise, which is crazy-sounding to my ears. I also found this, which looks like a much tastier way to cook the artichokes than steaming them.

In case you don't know how to eat one, pull off the leaves, dip it in the butter or aioli, and scrape off the fleshy bits of the artichoke leaves with your teeth. You'll figure it out. Sometimes I'll have the leaves without anything else, artichokes are awesome. Oh god, I want an artichoke right loving now.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'll have to try that, I love artichokes and always just steam them, that'll be a nice change of pace, thanks for the link.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Lullabee posted:

Stuff them with breadcrumbs, cheese, etc and steam them. Something like this: http://www.italianchef.com/blog/2010/11/22/stuffed-artichokes/

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Kimitsu posted:

I ate half a banana yesterday, and put it in the fridge so I could finish it today. My sister, at some point in these past 24 hours, moved it to the freezer. Now it's sitting out on a counter thawing at room temperature.

This is especially silly because all I wanted was to slice it up on top of cereal as a late-night snack - but with the bananas having been frozen, is the texture going to be changed through that and the thawing process? (Or rather, should I just give up on the banana topping and pan-fry it instead?)

For cereal, no that will be fine.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I have some left over cooked roast Turkey I want to use up in a fried rice. Even though the meat is already cooked would it be worth it to velvet the meat like you would if it's Raw?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

slingshot effect posted:

The finer the flour, the more conservative you should be with water. If it's at the point where you're making dough glue, then generously flour your bench and work the dough until it starts to hold onto itself and not your fingers.

Ok, thanks!

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I'm living in the Czech republic and my kitchen is pretty bare bones. There's 5 of us, what essential appliances/tools do we need to make good, cheap food?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Lullabee posted:

http://www.spicelines.com/2008/01/stuck_with_a_bowl_of_pesto_her.htm

Julia Child put artichokes into her pesto soup. :3 It's very good.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have some left over cooked roast Turkey I want to use up in a fried rice. Even though the meat is already cooked would it be worth it to velvet the meat like you would if it's Raw?

Maybe. If the meat is dry, I'd velvet it up and give it a short heating period to cook the starches, then mix in to the fried rice. It all depends on if you want to have a bit more "gravy" on the turkey or not.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Growing up, my mom would steam artichokes. And eat it. That was dinner. Steam it until the outer leaves come off easily, or about 30 minutes or so. She always served it with melted butter, but last time I cooked an artichoke for myself, I used aioli. Apparently some people use mayonnaise, which is crazy-sounding to my ears. I also found this, which looks like a much tastier way to cook the artichokes than steaming them.

My family does the mayo thing. They also put mayo on steamed broccoli, which is really gross to me as an adult but never bothered me as a kid...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Econosaurus posted:

I'm living in the Czech republic and my kitchen is pretty bare bones. There's 5 of us, what essential appliances/tools do we need to make good, cheap food?

Since Ive been trying to limit my gas use at my apartment, Ive found you can go a long way with an electric griddle.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

In case you don't know how to eat one, pull off the leaves, dip it in the butter or aioli, and scrape off the fleshy bits of the artichoke leaves with your teeth. You'll figure it out. Sometimes I'll have the leaves without anything else, artichokes are awesome. Oh god, I want an artichoke right loving now.

You don't eat the hearts?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Econosaurus posted:

What do you have now? Is there a range? What kind of food do you want to make?

I think with this stuff you could make a lot of things:
big knife
cutting board
big bowl
big spoon
cast iron pan
pot with lid, oven-safe
utensils & plates

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Cavenagh posted:

You don't eat the hearts?
Of course I eat the hearts. Who doesn't? Artichoke hearts best hearts.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Econosaurus posted:

You don't need food, just live in Pilsners. The beer there is so good and so cheap. Ugh, want to go back.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Before I try it, are there any foolproof tips so I don't gently caress up making hollandaise? I had eggs royale this morning and I'm craving again. Was going to go with the guide in the CIA professional chef book.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
My dad got me some local honey from where I grew up, which is awesome, but it has a lot more honeycomb than actual honey, at least from what I can see, and it's really crystallized.

How do I make this usable or is it and I am just used to the stuff from a bear?

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Bunnita posted:

My dad got me some local honey from where I grew up, which is awesome, but it has a lot more honeycomb than actual honey, at least from what I can see, and it's really crystallized.

How do I make this usable or is it and I am just used to the stuff from a bear?

Heating honey will make it smooth and un-crystallized again. Watch it closely, especially if you microwave, because it gets hot really fast. You'll also be able to get a lot to drip free of the comb if you crush it first. Depending on how much wax and junk is in the honey, you may want to filter it. Also the comb is chewable or edible if you're into that sort of thing.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Electron Voltaire posted:

Heating honey will make it smooth and un-crystallized again. Watch it closely, especially if you microwave, because it gets hot really fast. You'll also be able to get a lot to drip free of the comb if you crush it first. Depending on how much wax and junk is in the honey, you may want to filter it. Also the comb is chewable or edible if you're into that sort of thing.

I haven't experimented yet but it looks like it's going to be rather difficult to get out of the container as is. Possible stupid question but it doesn't hurt from being heated multiple times does it?

Filtering, are we talking cheese cloth or just a mesh strainer?

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I put a dry rub on some chicken last night planning to make fried chicken tonight. But then this morning (and through much the afternoon) we went to a giant brunch party and there is no way I will be able to eat a fried chicken dinner. Any harm in leaving the chicken in the fridge for another night? I assume it will just get a little saltier than I want it.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Bunnita posted:

I haven't experimented yet but it looks like it's going to be rather difficult to get out of the container as is. Possible stupid question but it doesn't hurt from being heated multiple times does it?

Being heated shouldn't hurt it too much unless you scorch it. I've read that heating does change the flavor a little, but I don't notice a difference (and I grew up eating honey from my dad's beekeeping). The honey you buy commercially is usually heated during processing anyway.

Can you break up the comb inside your container to get it out in pieces?

For filtering, you want to use a fine mesh strainer, preferably two on top of each other. Nylon paint strainer bags (very cheap from Amazon or Home Depot) are supposed to work well. I think you would loose a lot of honey to cheesecloth; I wouldn't try it.

Another option (depending on how much volume you have) is to crush it out of the comb and let it sit for a couple weeks in a container with a spout on the bottom. The junk rises to the top, and you pour the clean honey out of the bottom.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Is there any thread for homemade pasta? Or blogs/articles?

I've never tried before but I figure its time. I want to start out with the slicing with a knife method first before jumping into buying any equiptment. Also welcoming any pasta dish ideas where I can really let the homemade noodles shine. Was thinking of starting out with linguine and then trying ramen once I can locate that Chinese potassium stuff.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Jeremy posted:

Its harder, but you can smoke on a kettle. Put coals on one side and a pan of water on the other. For smoke put soaked chips on the coals and keep an eye on the temp cause it'll bounce around more than a larger smoker. Oh and put the ribs over the pan, not the coals.

This actually worked pretty well, thanks!

Smoked a chicken with some hickory chunks, definitely got me eyeing a dedicated smoker setup.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Bunnita posted:

Warm it up in the container -- heat some water and then just put the container in, if possible.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Before I try it, are there any foolproof tips so I don't gently caress up making hollandaise? I had eggs royale this morning and I'm craving again. Was going to go with the guide in the CIA professional chef book.

Depending on how much you make -- use a blender. We used whole butter too, not clarified we would roughly separate it though, and use the milky stuff instead of water when we needed to thin out the sauce.

Idk what the CIA book says, but we would have our yolks, our pretty hot butter, and the milk solids handy. Blend the poo poo out of the yolks, then add our vinegary flavorful reduction (in this case it was tarragony as we made bearnaise), then add butter slowly, adding water or the milky solids when the sauce got too thick or too glossy/looked like it was going to break. Secret trick about a vitamix, you can push a 2oz ladle to the bottom without hitting the blades (but so long as the handle isnt bent and its actually 20z, not 10z) so we would use that to stir. Season with s&p and then toss in herbs if you're herbing it up.

Granted when we did this in the blender we would do like 3 pounds' worth of bearnaise at a time -- it might be unpractical to get out the heavy equipment for one breakfast.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

KWC posted:

I put a dry rub on some chicken last night planning to make fried chicken tonight. But then this morning (and through much the afternoon) we went to a giant brunch party and there is no way I will be able to eat a fried chicken dinner. Any harm in leaving the chicken in the fridge for another night? I assume it will just get a little saltier than I want it.

It will be fine, just a bit salty.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could also just wash it off tonight, then dry it and keep it for tomorrow? Wouldn't be oversalted then.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a handful of dust posted:

This actually worked pretty well, thanks!

Smoked a chicken with some hickory chunks, definitely got me eyeing a dedicated smoker setup.

Awesome, glad it worked out. I have a Weber Smokey mountain that I like very much and would recommend to anyone.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I have a bunch of frozen tilapia filets and I'm trying to find some good easy recipes to cook them. I'd prefer not to pan fry them. I guess I'm stuck baking or steaming them. Any thoughts?

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

c355n4 posted:

I have a bunch of frozen tilapia filets and I'm trying to find some good easy recipes to cook them. I'd prefer not to pan fry them. I guess I'm stuck baking or steaming them. Any thoughts?

You could make a tilapia ceviche or a good fish soup.

Anyone have a couple of good resources for plate presentation techniques or do's and don'ts? I'm trying to get into it more as I have to come up with some ideas in the next week or so for class and would like some more places to look besides the course book.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Turkeybone posted:

Awesome/Annoying Pro Pot Roast:

I made this yesterday. I actually haven't had the pro-est meat yet, still waiting on it in the fridge. Some notes:

Didn't start with kobe beef, lol. Used sirloin because it was on sale, 5 lbs.

I didn't deglaze with a liquid after searing the meat, I just deglazed with the veggies before sauteing them. In retrospect, the vegetables took a long time to get nice and colored, so I will roast them next time so they will be cooking while the meat is searing. I must have glossed over that when reading your recipe, because I now see that you recommend doing it in parallel.

Deglazed the veggies with a Pinot Noir that was on sale, Fetzer. I don't care for this wine, it is very one-dimensional.

I decided not to do a sachet and not to put a barrier around the mirepoix. Instead, I strained the liquid after cooking. This seems to work great.

For liquid, I used some chicken stock I had in the freezer, a couple more glugs of wine, plus a couple cups of water.

Cooked at 315 for about 7-1/2 hours.

I had to eat a piece right away (I think it might be impossible not to) and left the rest to soak in the liquid. Made a quick gravy with a little more wine and cornstarch slurry. Completely Delicious. The stuff in the fridge is supposed to be better, but I don't know if I can comprehend it yet.

The tomato paste is something I wouldn't normally put in my pot roast, but it makes the sauce really nice and full bodied. Getting a really dark color on the vegetables really does make quite a difference over what I would normally make.

Thanks for the recipe, I am going to keep using (a variation of) it for my go-to pot roast recipe.

edit: Ok, I ate the stuff that had soaked for a day. Not a trace of dryness. It is more of an improvement that I thought it would be. Really great.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 21, 2012

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

How long do whole fresh chili peppers keep in the fridge. Local market has them on special ending soon but not planning to make chili quite yet. Will they keep a week in the fridge?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've had chili peppers last a week, although it really depends on the peppers themselves. If you want to make chili just chop and freeze them.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How long do whole fresh chili peppers keep in the fridge. Local market has them on special ending soon but not planning to make chili quite yet. Will they keep a week in the fridge?

Yes, as long as you take precautions against mold. However, they keep forever in the freezer. Bonus points if you forget to label them and just throw a handful in because you can't remember how hot they are.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm doing pork chops with a cider/shallot sauce tonight. I want to do something different for a side, and I'm thinking a puree. I supposed canned beans would be quick, but are there any other quick purees I could do that would go well with the pork and cider?

Can I do a decent puree with an immersion blender, or should I get out the food processor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

c355n4 posted:

You can look up miso cod recipes on the web and substitute tilapia into them