Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I find it more disturbing that wonga with their 4214% apr(!!!!) are allowed to advertise on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I want to shotgun those Wonga puppets and set them ablaze to save whatever consists of a rational mans soul. Is this normal?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

I find it more disturbing that wonga with their 4214% apr(!!!!) are allowed to advertise on television.
I get those are supposed to be short (Extremely short, even, like you're supposed to pay it off in a matter of weeks or something) but still, that's 81% weeklypr. Sounds like a bit of a mug's game, really.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I get those are supposed to be short (Extremely short, even, like you're supposed to pay it off in a matter of weeks or something) but still, that's 81% weeklypr. Sounds like a bit of a mug's game, really.

That's not how interest works - it's more like 7% a week.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jonnty posted:

That's not how interest works - it's more like 7% a week.

4214% APR / 52 Weeks in a year = 81%

Unless I'm missing something.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

ConanThe3rd posted:

You are yeah, it's a compounded interest rate. You don't owe 81% more after the first week.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Giedroyc posted:

Especially when you consider they're eliminating crisis loans.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Z-Magic posted:

Another winning idea from the people who brought you "terminally ill people with over 6 months to live are fit for work".

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Z-Magic posted:

Wait what? When did this come about?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, as Hoops explained, it's compounded. Essentially, instead of rising at the same rate, it ends up rising in a sort of curve, slowly at first and then increasingly faster, just like when you double something repeatedly - which ends up being nastier in some ways, actually.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

I find the new Ocean Finance advert disgusting: Hey, you guys are having trouble meeting all your bills, so just sign your house over to us up with us and all your problems will be solved and you can go on a nice holiday to the beach or something.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Onion Vanguard posted:

Wait what? When did this come about?

Clauses 69-72 of the Welfare Reform Bill outline the abolition of the discretionary Social Fund, which includes Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011
If anyone needs a laugh

continuity announcer on BBC 1 posted:

There's a new paramedic in town as Danny Dyer guest stars in Casualty

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyKCHi453g

This has to be the worst one. I fell about laughing at the guy with the petrol pump the first time I saw this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ConanThe3rd posted:

(1+x)n = 42.14 where x is, say, 0.42 for 42% is the equation you're looking for, not (1+x)*n = 42.14. Very different.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

dos4gw posted:

I hope they don't get reprimanded for it, I thought it was a great ad. It was a great episode to start off the series too. Does anyone know where all these gippos get their money from though?

When the program started, I assumed that all the bespoke dresses, parties, weddings, photographers etc were all a fairly rare expense but they are happening all the time and nearly all the families have two or three expensive cars.

There was a girl in Spain who travelled round following her father's 'business interests' so we all know what that means but they can't ALL be stealing things and even if they are, what are they taking that's worth so much?

Sorry for the tangent, it's just been on my mind for the last few days.

ShortLeroy posted:

I don't think we're meant to ask that question as it implies they might be the proceeds of illegal activities. Then you'll be accused of being a racist just like Channel 4.

What is the world coming too, when you're called racist just for being prejudiced against a racial group.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(1+x)n = 42.14 where x is, say, 0.42 for 42% is the equation you're looking for, not (1+x)*n = 42.14. Very different.

I suddenly feel very unprepared for the real world.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Szmitten posted:

I suddenly feel very unprepared for the real world.

Babbys first econ lesson

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What is the world coming too, when you're called racist just for being prejudiced against a racial group.

For a start, they are not a 'race'. Yes, there are Romany gypsies etc but these are not. If by any chance they are of another, alternative 'race' then surely a failure to even notice that suggests a lack of any prejudice against them being on the basis of race. This is why, if I was to now declare to you that I was Arabic, I couldn't accuse you of being racist for your comments because you had no idea of my racial identity when you criticised me so it was surely irrelevant in your mind. That is the case in my earlier post as well.

I criticise them for their lifestyle choice. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you are one of these 'cultural relativists' who thinks that it is perfectly acceptable for people in other cultures to have their own morals and standards different to our own. That is fine, which is why I did not criticise them for bringing their children up to compete in bare knuckle boxing matches etc, but it is not fine if they are stealing things from other people who did not choose to be part of their 'culture'. If they are allowed to impose their own standards on others then surely those others are allowed to complain about it.

On BBC breakfast news recently, for example, there was a discussion about young people failing to appreciate the risks of cancer. They showed a clip of one of the gypsies in a sun bed, talking about cancer and how if one of her friends or family got it, she would probably 'just go once a week, rather than twice [as she was doing already]'. Is the BBC then also racist for the subsequent discussion about the dangers of her ignorance? Maybe you should moan at them too. If you do though, you might want to check your spelling first, because in the first sentence of your post you will find that it should be 'to' and not 'too'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

dos4gw posted:

For a start, they are not a 'race'. Yes, there are Romany gypsies etc but these are not. If by any chance they are of another, alternative 'race' then surely a failure to even notice that suggests a lack of any prejudice against them being on the basis of race. This is why, if I was to now declare to you that I was Arabic, I couldn't accuse you of being racist for your comments because you had no idea of my racial identity when you criticised me so it was surely irrelevant in your mind. That is the case in my earlier post as well.

I criticise them for their lifestyle choice. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you are one of these 'cultural relativists' who thinks that it is perfectly acceptable for people in other cultures to have their own morals and standards different to our own. That is fine, which is why I did not criticise them for bringing their children up to compete in bare knuckle boxing matches etc, but it is not fine if they are stealing things from other people who did not choose to be part of their 'culture'. If they are allowed to impose their own standards on others then surely those others are allowed to complain about it.

On BBC breakfast news recently, for example, there was a discussion about young people failing to appreciate the risks of cancer. They showed a clip of one of the gypsies in a sun bed, talking about cancer and how if one of her friends or family got it, she would probably 'just go once a week, rather than twice [as she was doing already]'. Is the BBC then also racist for the subsequent discussion about the dangers of her ignorance? Maybe you should moan at them too. If you do though, you might want to check your spelling first, because in the first sentence of your post you will find that it should be 'to' and not 'too'.
"I'm not a racist because they're not a real race"
:allears:

If you resort to pedantry to prove you're not a racist, it's maybe time to take another look at your views.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 19, 2012

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

"I'm not a racist because they're not a real race"
:allears:

If you resort to pedantry to prove you're not a racist, it's maybe time to take another look at your views.

If you want to consider sticking to any semblance of an objective concept of a word to be pedantry then fine, but you've (deliberately?) misinterpreted my point.

There are people on television who don't seem to have jobs, or who work in traditionally low paying professions, but who seemingly enjoy an expensive lifestyle. In that context, can one not speculate that those people might be stealing, or doing some other form of illegal activity, to make up the deficit between what they would logically earn and what they clearly do in fact have to spend?

I fail to see how race has anything to do with that whatsoever. I also think that the latest bout of quantitative easing is a good thing, despite this meaning that many old people will lose out on their pensions. By your logic, I am 'racist' against old people, and if I then point out that the race of any of those old people is irrelevant, you would respond with 'ah so you don't think old people are a real race! You are resorting to pedantry now!'.

Anyway, the program will continue to be shown and get good viewing figures, so I will get the last laugh and if you want to splutter and ascribe views and prejudices to me or anyone else that they don't have then go for it but it won't change a thing.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I think I have just seen a new low in advertising on espn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZ5MOB3nww

Paddy Power sends a load of transgendered people to a horse racing day and then tries to guess which ones are female and which are transgendered. Choice quotes include "a dog no wait a man" and good luck with that Ian".
How did that get past advertising standards? :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
ASA doesn't vet adverts, but investigates any complaints recieved after they air. A few companies (Easyjet comes to mind) spam cheap, offensive adverts because their target audience doesn't care and it's cheap press.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

madey posted:

I think I have just seen a new low in advertising on espn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZ5MOB3nww

Paddy Power sends a load of transgendered people to a horse racing day and then tries to guess which ones are female and which are transgendered. Choice quotes include "a dog no wait a man" and good luck with that Ian".
How did that get past advertising standards? :psyduck:

I'm still outraged from when Paddy Power filmed a blind guy kicking a cat, do these people never learn?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

dos4gw posted:

If you want to consider sticking to any semblance of an objective concept of a word to be pedantry then fine, but you've (deliberately?) misinterpreted my point.

There are people on television who don't seem to have jobs, or who work in traditionally low paying professions, but who seemingly enjoy an expensive lifestyle. In that context, can one not speculate that those people might be stealing, or doing some other form of illegal activity, to make up the deficit between what they would logically earn and what they clearly do in fact have to spend?

I fail to see how race has anything to do with that whatsoever. I also think that the latest bout of quantitative easing is a good thing, despite this meaning that many old people will lose out on their pensions. By your logic, I am 'racist' against old people, and if I then point out that the race of any of those old people is irrelevant, you would respond with 'ah so you don't think old people are a real race! You are resorting to pedantry now!'.

Anyway, the program will continue to be shown and get good viewing figures, so I will get the last laugh and if you want to splutter and ascribe views and prejudices to me or anyone else that they don't have then go for it but it won't change a thing.

Dude, the more you post the more you sound like a massive racist.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

dos4gw posted:

For a start, they are not a 'race'.

Well the UN and the EU disagree with you for a start

dos4gw posted:

If you do though, you might want to check your spelling first, because in the first sentence of your post you will find that it should be 'to' and not 'too'.

:golfclap:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Flatscan posted:

Dude, the more you post the more you sound like a massive racist.
What an incredibly well-reasoned and constructed retort.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I just thought the whole Gyspsy wedding series was smug, sneering, "ha ha look at the funny proles!" programming which is why I don't like it. The whole race thing never really occurred to me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way I can ask about where they get their money from and not sound racist? I'm genuinely interested.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NaDy posted:

Is there any way I can ask about where they get their money from and not sound racist? I'm genuinely interested.

Channel 4 gave it to them, to bait people like dos4gw to come out of the racism closet.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

NaDy posted:

You could just ask that and not immediately assume they nicked everything.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I had a mate who has family members in a traveling fair. They identify themselves as "Romany". Obviously the majority of their income comes from the fair itself but they boasted endlessly to me about all the stuff they stole or conned out of the "Joskins" ( The word they used to describe non-travellers) in the towns that their fair visited.

I worked as a mechanic at a small mot station several years ago. A group of seemingly friendly travellers (these ones had that sort of rough irish accent) turned up one day wanting their Tarmac roller repaired. I think it needed a starter motor. We didn't have access to spares for this sort of machinery, so my boss said he would try to repair the old one. He was doing his best, but was struggling to get it working. The travellers started getting very impatient after a while and their demeanour very quickly turned from pleasant to downright loving nasty. One of them stood over him, shouting and giving him the odd smack round the head whilst the others stood guard and blocked all the exits. Eventually he managed to get it working and they left, obviously without paying. Two days later we arrived to the unit to find it had been broken into, most of our equipment gone and all the vending machines in the waiting area smashed open and emptied (they even took the coffee, soup, hot chocolate and the plastic cups!).

So, my personal experience hasn't exactly been positive. I'm sure that the ones I've encountered are the exception to the rule and that most travellers are perfectly lovely, law abiding citizens...

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Here is my anecdote about how scummy those gyppos are...

ahem

le chat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 19, 2012

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

le chat posted:

Here is my anecdote about how scummy those gyppos are...

ahem

Yes, poor misunderstood travellers. A nasty, vicious stereotype created by us Joskins in order to oppress their happy, carefree lifestyles. Poor innocent victims. Their ways and customs are different to ours. A few bad apples blah blah blah...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I remember when this thread was about TV, then those gyppos turned up and ruined it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

m0isty posted:

Yes, poor misunderstood travellers. A nasty, vicious stereotype created by us Joskins in order to oppress their happy, carefree lifestyles. Poor innocent victims. Their ways and customs are different to ours. A few bad apples blah blah blah...

Yes, precisely. Your argument ("I got robbed by a traveller, therefore all travellers are thieves") would not be acceptable to you (I assume) if the same argument was applied to, say, black men. So why is it here?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Why are we being called racist for portraying a race of people as thieving scum? It's political correctness gone mad.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a way to report this whole thread because I want to report this whole thread. Stop loving up this thread.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To quote Charlie Brooker, humanity is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Yeah seriously its time for some of you to find an outlet for your thieving gypsy stories elsewhere it clearly doesn't really belong in this thread.

Thanks for the radio recommendations a few pages back I am totally loving Down The Line, it travels so wonderfully close to plausibility I keep forgetting it isn't real. Reminds me a lot of Chris Morris' stuff.

I had a go with the Armando Ianucci programme too, and while I love that man, starting from series 1 and listening to people from the 90s make Blair jokes is a bit weird. I may just skip ahead a couple of series.