Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Where's that NS4G update? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Every time I try to update profile, update prl, or firmware update on my EVO 4G (original), I get error code 1012. The phone appears to work though other than that, what do I need to do to fix it? I've restarted it a few times already.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Disargeria posted:

Where's that NS4G update? :(
This. Is there a way to force a system update with dialer codes? None of the codes I knew worked at all. Must be an AOSP thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like Android Central jumped the gun claiming it WOULD happen on 2/16 just because their lone source saw it on Sprint's internal site.

The editor (and co-owner of AP, apparently) is scrambling to hurry and find out if it released at all and blaming Sprint for it not coming when he said it would. He also seems to have resorted to calling people stupid if they doubt him for some reason.

All in all, the update never happened and it seems we're just back to waiting.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
I'm probably the only one who's still using a Touch Pro 2, but mine has absolutely gone to poo poo for what has to be the fourth or fifth time. I've soft reset, hard reset, reflashed/relocked all to no avail. I could go into depth about the array of problems, but the biggest is that it's now starting Windows Media Player by itself and playing music. It did this at the gym a couple days ago, 15 minutes after I had put the phone in the locker. The screen also refuses to turn off (I press the power button, screen turns off, turns immediately back on) which has reduced my battery life from terrible to absolutely miserable.

I went through the Asurion site to see what phone they're giving out for TEP claims and it looks like its the HTC EVO DESN-Standard.

If I were to get the EVO through TEP, would I be billed for the $10/mo 4G fee? I also have a free phone upgrade, but would rather wait until later this year to use it on a newer phone; especially since I've been paying $8/mo for TEP throughout the life of my contract.

e: Of course, immediately after writing this post, my phone now refuses to turn on or charge. Yay!

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 18, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, there's no avoiding that $10 with a 4G phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

td4guy posted:

Yeah, there's no avoiding that $10 with a smartphone.

Fixed that for you.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Went to get my phone replaced after having broken the screen way back in november (remember that?) and the guy said that since the 3d is backordered he could get me an SII for free instead :woop:

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Going to try to make a long story short. Phone was stolen today. When I bought it 6 months I am 100% positive I said yes to getting insurance. Whoever sold me my phone did not add that to my account. My phone bill is set to autopay and when I noticed my monthly charges were roughly what they should be I didn't bother to check. Major mistake. Is there ANYTHING that can be done? Is there even a slight chance of getting a manager or someone to get me a discount on a new phone? Will they give a poo poo that I have an account in good standing, never late, etc? I'm trying not to completely and totally freak up but I'm pretty upset :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

change my name posted:

Went to get my phone replaced after having broken the screen way back in november (remember that?) and the guy said that since the 3d is backordered he could get me an SII for free instead :woop:

Nice. Apparently some sort of SGSII ICS ROM leaked yesterday so a functioning ICS ROM for the SGSIIE4GT is currently being slapped together.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

change my name posted:

drat, that's lucky. Every time I've had to exchange any HTC lately, the system has only let me pick the exact same model, despite week-long back orders on the Shift and white Evo. A few other phones are doing that too, seems like only the older phones are letting me order alternates.

Wonder if it's a corporate vs dealer thing, or if I'm just not having any luck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Going to try to make a long story short. Phone was stolen today. When I bought it 6 months I am 100% positive I said yes to getting insurance. Whoever sold me my phone did not add that to my account. My phone bill is set to autopay and when I noticed my monthly charges were roughly what they should be I didn't bother to check. Major mistake. Is there ANYTHING that can be done? Is there even a slight chance of getting a manager or someone to get me a discount on a new phone? Will they give a poo poo that I have an account in good standing, never late, etc? I'm trying not to completely and totally freak up but I'm pretty upset :(

Call into Sprint and file a dispute (try retentions first for this), I forget the form but they should have an option to file that you should have had TEP. I've done it before and its a crapshoot, but the one I filed for got approved.

TVs Ian posted:

drat, that's lucky. Every time I've had to exchange any HTC lately, the system has only let me pick the exact same model, despite week-long back orders on the Shift and white Evo. A few other phones are doing that too, seems like only the older phones are letting me order alternates.

Wonder if it's a corporate vs dealer thing, or if I'm just not having any luck.

Sprint's exchange system is hosed up right now and basically its a really bad time to need to swap to a "similar" device.

Usually we have the option to swap people from an Evo to a Shift, Epic, etc if warranted (technically after 2 real swaps). What happened was Evos got backordered, so people started just ordering Shifts. Then Shifts got backordered, so people started ordering Epics, then the Nexus, then the 3D. So basically, domino effect. Once Sprint figured out what was happening, it went into the system and halted (hopefully temporarily) similar exchanges for the Evo, Shift, Epic and 3D (lower phones like the Optimus were not affected). I'd have to check my email to see what the status is currently, but I believe they are pretty close to getting back to where all phones were available.

Can't speak for Corporate since I don't work there, but I was just at a corp store yesterday and we chatted briefly about that, enough for them to say they were having backorders too.

What level dealer are you working for?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint's exchange system is hosed up right now and basically its a really bad time to need to swap to a "similar" device.

Usually we have the option to swap people from an Evo to a Shift, Epic, etc if warranted (technically after 2 real swaps). What happened was Evos got backordered, so people started just ordering Shifts. Then Shifts got backordered, so people started ordering Epics, then the Nexus, then the 3D. So basically, domino effect. Once Sprint figured out what was happening, it went into the system and halted (hopefully temporarily) similar exchanges for the Evo, Shift, Epic and 3D (lower phones like the Optimus were not affected). I'd have to check my email to see what the status is currently, but I believe they are pretty close to getting back to where all phones were available.

Can't speak for Corporate since I don't work there, but I was just at a corp store yesterday and we chatted briefly about that, enough for them to say they were having backorders too.

What level dealer are you working for?
That explains it. Those are some of the phones I deal with the most, so that's what I've been seeing. We don't get too much in the way of updates on the situation, other than the occasional "there's a shipment tomorrow, we'll have the backorders through x date cleared up." I know the corporate stores are backed up as well, but we've had a couple of customers call Care and get swapped to a different device (they'll cancel my order and ship something direct to the customer) so SOMEBODY can do it right now.

Sucks that a lot of the parts are on backorder too, I could really use those Shift screens again...

And my store is a Preferred Retailer. At least, that's the only qualification info I have. If there's anything else, only the bosses have it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

That explains it. Those are some of the phones I deal with the most, so that's what I've been seeing. We don't get too much in the way of updates on the situation, other than the occasional "there's a shipment tomorrow, we'll have the backorders through x date cleared up." I know the corporate stores are backed up as well, but we've had a couple of customers call Care and get swapped to a different device (they'll cancel my order and ship something direct to the customer) so SOMEBODY can do it right now.

Sucks that a lot of the parts are on backorder too, I could really use those Shift screens again...

And my store is a Preferred Retailer. At least, that's the only qualification info I have. If there's anything else, only the bosses have it.

Yeah, same here.

And I'm preferred too, its the highest level of indirect. I used to be at a lower level store, never again (they get no power or pricings).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Apparently some sort of SGSII ICS ROM leaked yesterday so a functioning ICS ROM for the SGSIIE4GT is currently being slapped together.
From what I saw the leaked ROM is in pretty hosed up shape. I swear the sbrissen CM9 port (which it pretty weak itself) is more featureful.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

From what I saw the leaked ROM is in pretty hosed up shape. I swear the sbrissen CM9 port (which it pretty weak itself) is more featureful.

My assumption is that the CM9 port will incorporate parts of the leaked ROM to fix the broken parts.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

It looks like Android Central jumped the gun claiming it WOULD happen on 2/16 just because their lone source saw it on Sprint's internal site.

The editor (and co-owner of AP, apparently) is scrambling to hurry and find out if it released at all and blaming Sprint for it not coming when he said it would. He also seems to have resorted to calling people stupid if they doubt him for some reason.

All in all, the update never happened and it seems we're just back to waiting.

The image that was "leaked" was just an image from a sales portal and yes in fact that sales portal does have that banner about ICS. Im guessing the idea was to get ICS out on a couple occasions over the last month or 2. The internal device information has a document dated 1/27 for the ICS roll out so yeah, internal, non public, documents aren't a guarantee.

Duckman2008 posted:

Call into Sprint and file a dispute (try retentions first for this), I forget the form but they should have an option to file that you should have had TEP. I've done it before and its a crapshoot, but the one I filed for got approved.
Its called a TEP correction, retentions vs care makes no difference the requests all go the same place the issue is after 6months it becomes an almost guaranteed no that it will be re added. 6mo is usually the cut off. Never admit to having a phone issue if you're trying to get TEP added after the enrollment window :)

TVs Ian posted:

but we've had a couple of customers call Care and get swapped to a different device (they'll cancel my order and ship something direct to the customer) so SOMEBODY can do it right now.

Would be interesting to know what happened when they called into care. If you guys are referring to an AE care cannot place those especially for IL accounts. Business care isn't even supposed to do them but it happens from time to time.

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 18, 2012

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah the leaked ROM is being worked into fairly decent shape now but it still has issues like the return of LOS and you can tell Samsung isn't done with it.

Edit: And apparently FB15 has now leaked out to one of the E4GT devs and should be posted tomorrow.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My assumption is that the CM9 port will incorporate parts of the leaked ROM to fix the broken parts.
Your assumption is correct, there's supposed to be another update shortly with nearly everything fixed:

quote:

@maddoggin
@sbrissen23 you are the man bro!! wifi, bt,camera,usb debugging this cm9 is my daily from now on!! woot woot!!
1:44 PM - 18 Feb 12

@sbrissen23
@maddoggin well cats out of the bag, new release on the way
1:44 PM - 18 Feb 12

datajosh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2012

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Okay so I'm pretty much having a nightmare with Sprint.

I've been with AT&T/Cingular since 2001. Lack of any reason to stay with them had me shopping around. I see Sprint has the best rates for iphones, so I go into a sprint store last Saturday (Feb 11th).

The person there was awful but thankfully I knew what I wanted so I order a phone and sign a contract. I give them my current phone # to switch over. They tell me the phone will be there in 3-5 days. Time goes by, nothing happens. So I called on Friday (day 5) to find out what is going on. After going up three levels of management I get told "oh whoops we never ordered your phone. We'll order it again and give you some free stuff." Okay...not really what I wanted...but I grin and bear it. They tell me nothing will happen to my current phone

A few minutes ago my phone beeps telling me my SIM card is shut off. Phone obviously is not working at all. I go on my Sprint Account and see my contract with them has apparently started.

So...I have no working phone because I went into Sprint to switch over. I assume I don't need to go into why this is unacceptable.

This is half rant / half should I just cancel the whole thing and bite the higher cost with AT&T if this is what Sprint customers typically have to put up with? At this point I'm tempted to go into the store tomorrow, switch everything off and if they try to hit me with the early cancellation fee sue them over it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That sucks.

If that 3-5 day phone order had gone through immediately, your number would've been ported then, and you'd still have gone without a phone for a couple of days.

The smart thing to do in cases like this is to sign up under a brand new phone number, then port over the old number in its place when you're good and happy with your new phone/service.

I hope this has taught you to never use an actual Sprint store. This never would've happened if you'd done everything on sprint.com.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

td4guy posted:

That sucks.

If that 3-5 day phone order had gone through immediately, your number would've been ported then, and you'd still have gone without a phone for a couple of days.

The smart thing to do in cases like this is to sign up under a brand new phone number, then port over the old number in its place when you're good and happy with your new phone/service.

I hope this has taught you to never use an actual Sprint store. This never would've happened if you'd done everything on sprint.com.

I asked specifically about that. They said it wouldn't affect my current phone, both when I originally ordered it and yesterday when they re-ordered it. I can't even remember the last time I've been this annoyed at a store.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

SlothBear posted:

I asked specifically about that. They said it wouldn't affect my current phone, both when I originally ordered it and yesterday when they re-ordered it. I can't even remember the last time I've been this annoyed at a store.

I think it just has to do with that actual store. I would not be to pleased with the guy that took my order. Sprint has improved but it's human error that you are dealing with I think. Hopefully a few days will go by and everything will resolve itself.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just transfered my old AT&T number to google voice. By the sounds of it I'm glad I went that route. :unsmith:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

e.pie posted:

I just transfered my old AT&T number to google voice. By the sounds of it I'm glad I went that route. :unsmith:

Do you get lag on all calls since your number is GV? I have a main cell number and a GV number and when I use my GV number, there is latency on occasion. I'd hate every call to be like that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hotsauce posted:

Do you get lag on all calls since your number is GV? I have a main cell number and a GV number and when I use my GV number, there is latency on occasion. I'd hate every call to be like that.

Nope, Sprint's integration with GV is pretty seamless. The only thing that doesn't work with the GV number are MMS messages.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

SlothBear posted:

I've been with AT&T/Cingular since 2001. Lack of any reason to stay with them had me shopping around. I see Sprint has the best rates for iphones, so I go into a sprint store last Saturday (Feb 11th).

The person there was awful but thankfully I knew what I wanted so I order a phone and sign a contract. I give them my current phone # to switch over. They tell me the phone will be there in 3-5 days. Time goes by, nothing happens. So I called on Friday (day 5) to find out what is going on. After going up three levels of management I get told "oh whoops we never ordered your phone. We'll order it again and give you some free stuff." Okay...not really what I wanted...but I grin and bear it. They tell me nothing will happen to my current phone

A few minutes ago my phone beeps telling me my SIM card is shut off. Phone obviously is not working at all. I go on my Sprint Account and see my contract with them has apparently started.

So...I have no working phone because I went into Sprint to switch over. I assume I don't need to go into why this is unacceptable.

This is half rant / half should I just cancel the whole thing and bite the higher cost with AT&T if this is what Sprint customers typically have to put up with? At this point I'm tempted to go into the store tomorrow, switch everything off and if they try to hit me with the early cancellation fee sue them over it.

Yeah that's a lovely deal.Was the phone you wanted out of stock? Generally you walk out with the device. Generally stores suck, I'm sorry to say it just how it is. Plus it doesn't help that sprint has an absolutely insane disconnect with stores and your account.The phone reps likely pushed your port through causing even more issues because he had no idea what the store did or what they were attempting to do. In terms of what you can do, you are currently 9/14 days as of typing this. You can cut your losses and port back to ATT, what you are likely to run into is a bill for the prorated amount of time you had service IE: the 11th to the day you port back canceling the account and you'll have an activation fee. Yep its retarded, but that's how it is. If the rep actually ordered the phone you should see it early this coming week but seeing as you've been dicked around a bit i can see that as being no consolation. Also if you signed the ESA you have nearly no right to sue them. The terms and conditions, like for any large company, pretty much make them immune.

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 19, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

Woah, I am hoping that the issue is you ran into a lower ranked sprint indirect store (who tend to not have many phones on hand) because that is just embarrassing. Shooting me a pm with you name and info, I work today and can look into it.

Fyi they went about it in the absolute worst way possible. And as much as I like to think I work miracles, this job isn't that loving hard.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 19, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Also it sounds like he didn't get EPRP because he did it in-store. I hope your employer has a sweet discount!

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi they went about it in the absolute worst way possible. And as much as I like to think I work miracles, this job isn't that loving hard.

It's really amazing. Sometimes I would just be a normal dude, give good information, and not lie to people, and they were UNBELIEVABLY amazed and grateful.

Then another time, I had a customer come in for an upgrade on some old, crazy plan of like 2 lines unlimited for ~$350 a month (no idea how). I told him he could save ~$150 a month, and he was like "grumble grumble whatever grumble grumble*

I really cannot stress how stupid most wireless sales people are.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

td4guy posted:

That sucks.

He shouldn't have had any downtime at all. When a port is done and a phone is ordered, calls are still routed from/to the old carrier and phone until the new phone is activated. So even if the Sprint phone takes five days to arrive and the port is complete after one, there's no change in actual service until you turn on the new phone and start the activation process. I manage mobile telecom for my company and port numbers between all four national carriers and this situation never happens unless someone fucks up hardcore.*

*Unless there's some fundamental difference in the porting process between consumer and business accounts that I'm unaware of.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Woah, I am hoping that the issue is you ran into a lower ranked sprint indirect store (who tend to not have many phones on hand) because that is just embarrassing. Shooting me a pm with you name and info, I work today and can look into it.

They told me they never have iphones in stock so...maybe that was it. I PMed you back. It would be amazing if I didn't have to go back to that store to get it fixed because god knows what else will get screwed up if I have to deal with them again.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Okay so, my phone is back on now. The guy at the store showed me everything he sent in and it was all very clear that he told them NOT to port the number over they just...kind of did? Anyway he got me a loaner phone with my old number on it so things are back to normal, kind of. The guy I dealt with today was very professional and helpful. I wish he had been around the first time.

When I first ordered the phone all my instincts were telling me "this person doesn't know what they're doing, walk out and do it yourself online" but I figured I'd be nice and not a snob about it for once. Learned my lesson there.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The MIUI v4 alpha for the 3D is pretty awesome. It's basically super-ICS -- although unfortunately it comes with the same bugs that are present on all the other ICS builds (no camera, no 4G, and a kernel wakelock tied to Bluetooth).

It adds a hell of a lot more useful features to AOSP ICS than CM9 does, at least so far.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leathal posted:

The MIUI v4 alpha for the 3D is pretty awesome. It's basically super-ICS -- although unfortunately it comes with the same bugs that are present on all the other ICS builds (no camera, no 4G, and a kernel wakelock tied to Bluetooth).

It adds a hell of a lot more useful features to AOSP ICS than CM9 does, at least so far.

Yeah, with the wild-rear end camera on this thing I'm sure the first ROM to be released with a working camera is going to be an official one from HTC/Sprint. 4G/BT/Camera are commonly the last few bugs in almost any ROM development process, it's not anything I'm surprised about, though I wish they could get it working for MIUI because it's damned beautiful.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
Man I really like MIUI... I almost hate that I have a 3d because the 3d features will never be present. I know its really just a gimmick and I rarely if ever use it, but I feel like any ROM I use has to have the ability.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there anything I can do to make me like my o.g. Evo more? I've been running a MikG ROM for many months now and it's pretty good. There appears to be a newer version out so I should probably upgrade to that. The biggest issues I have with it are tremendously spotty and sporadic data here in Chicago, where I recently moved. I'll have full bars but data simply won't load, or will take FOREVER to load. Is this something I can remedy? I feel like I'm held hostage on Sprint until my contract is up and I can go to something that has better data speeds here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Is there anything I can do to make me like my o.g. Evo more? I've been running a MikG ROM for many months now and it's pretty good. There appears to be a newer version out so I should probably upgrade to that. The biggest issues I have with it are tremendously spotty and sporadic data here in Chicago, where I recently moved. I'll have full bars but data simply won't load, or will take FOREVER to load. Is this something I can remedy? I feel like I'm held hostage on Sprint until my contract is up and I can go to something that has better data speeds here.

Well, first off a different phone won't necessarily fix signal problems (certainly not when you already have an Evo, which does fine signal wise). Better hardware will make the phone perform faster, but it cannot make the signal faster.

You have 4 options:
-Wait till your upgrade and get a galaxy nexus (I'd assume this summer for you). Then sell your Evo.
-Buy up your upgrade now, upgrade to something else like the iPhone or Galaxy 2. Then sell your Evo.
-Buy a used Nexus S (about $200-250), which won't renew your contract, but the phone is better than the Evo hardware wise. Then sell your Evo. Wait until you are eligible and then buy a Galaxy Nexus.
-switch to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4S (ATT is a decent option if you are switching to Apple). Then sell your Evo to make up the ETF.

The theme is that your Evo still has some worth on craigslist/ebay. The only two phones to really sign a contract for are the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4S. Since the Galaxy Nexus isn't out yet on Sprint, if you want that and want to stay on Sprint, buy a used Nexus S or just wait it out.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fuzzi posted:

Man I really like MIUI... I almost hate that I have a 3d because the 3d features will never be present. I know its really just a gimmick and I rarely if ever use it, but I feel like any ROM I use has to have the ability.

About the only thing I miss about Android since going to the iPhone is MIUI. If the camera worked I would put it on my wife's 3D.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ShaneB posted:

The biggest issues I have with it are tremendously spotty and sporadic data here in Chicago, where I recently moved. I'll have full bars but data simply won't load, or will take FOREVER to load. Is this something I can remedy? I feel like I'm held hostage on Sprint until my contract is up and I can go to something that has better data speeds here.
There's nothing you can do. The network is overloaded in some locations. We're all waiting for the Network Vision upgrayedds to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

About the only thing I miss about Android since going to the iPhone is MIUI. If the camera worked I would put it on my wife's 3D.

MIUI is nice on 2.3 and earlier but ICS makes it look like a cheap Chinese iOS rip off. I look forward to seeing what they do on 4.0 though.