Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Why does AppleCare cost different amounts at different places? Is the retailer eating the difference?

Here it's $122

and

Here it's $244

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anyone have a mid-2011 27 inch iMac and a Thunderbolt display running side by side? I would love to dual screen my desktop but the TBD doesn't seem to align nicely with the iMac's screen. This guy has it up on some riser but it seems somewhat ridiculous to have to prop the TBD up with a shim to get the screens to sit flush with each other.

(from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1242827)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Fren posted:

Does anyone have a mid-2011 27 inch iMac and a Thunderbolt display running side by side? I would love to dual screen my desktop but the TBD doesn't seem to align nicely with the iMac's screen. This guy has it up on some riser but it seems somewhat ridiculous to have to prop the TBD up with a shim to get the screens to sit flush with each other.

(from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1242827)

The solution of course is to buy 2 iMacs and run one in target display mode and use the "hidden" iMac as a server or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

I think I am being paranoid about my Macbook battery. The original Apple battery is from 2006 and has 250 cycles, holds only 3700mAH according to system report.

So I ordered a Techno Earth replacement battery, the specs say it is a 5400mAH battery.

According to the directions that came with the battery, I should have put it my laptop and drained it to 3%, discharging below 3% is strictly prohibited, etc. I assumed my macbook would shut off at 3%, but instead it got down to 2% and as per the directions I decided to shut it off. So that kinda makes me wonder if letting my macbook decide when to shut off will be bad for my battery?

I have no yet finished fully recharging the new battery, but system report states that a full charge will hold 4900mAH, that is better than my original battery but 500mAH short of what the product claims! I don't particularly care about 500mAH lower capacity, I just want to know if that is normal or not. I am assuming this is due to system report not accurately measuring the capacity of the battery? I have not yet contacted the seller because I want to get an opinion from someone who does not have a monetary interest in this first.

Also, if I plan to use my macbook at home and keep it plugged in and fully charged all the time will that kill my battery? And as for cycling the battery, Apple recommends fully charge then discharge the battery like once a month (Techno Earth claims 1 every 2 months) but a random internet website said to charge to full capacity, and leave the charger on for a few hours before discharging, is that a good or bad idea?
Never heard of them :shobon:

For the full drain just let it go, I'm not sure there's another way to really calibrate the software to figure out how much capacity there is. Just be sure to be there when it happens so you can plug it back in. Ideally there will be enough juice to go to sleep safely...vs unexpectedly getting power cut off if it doesn't have as much capacity as it expected. No clue on the capacity numbers, perhaps the battery capacity is down from what it should be, or it's not reporting/computer isn't reading correctly, who knows.

And yeah if you keep it plugged in and charged all the time, that would be a bad thing. A discharge every month or two is fine, either is probably fine. Not sure about the "leave on charger before discharging" tip though. The main thing is to just use it at least sometimes, if you do that you shouldn't really have to worry about overly anal battery practices.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Why does AppleCare cost different amounts at different places? Is the retailer eating the difference?

Here it's $122

and

Here it's $244
I guess so. B&H is a trusted retailer in case you were paranoid about them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I might, just might have to sell my Air and get a Pro - my vision is going downhill and I can't see the tiny pixels :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I might, just might have to sell my Air and get a Pro - my vision is going downhill and I can't see the tiny pixels :(

:( Will the retina displays help? You know they're coming.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Here it's $122

and

Here it's $244

They're cutting a special deal on Applecare if you buy the computer there as well.

Sold seperately, it's also $244. The rest of the Mac line has discounted Applecare with purchase as well.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/macosx/vision.html
think some tinkering with these features would improve your experience?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/macosx/vision.html
think some tinkering with these features would improve your experience?
Biggest issue I've seen is that you can't make the global base system UI stuff (widgets/controls, system text, etc) any bigger. There's particular settings in the different apps or for particular views, but nothing really global. The closest is the zoom, which is kind of unwieldy to use all the time, or just run at a lower resolution, which only really works if the screen size and resolution are big enough (cause otherwise everything gets cramped as hell). It's blurry but it works if you can stand it.

Mountain Lion may help if they enable UI scaling at arbitrary scale factors but I could see them just sticking with "HiDPI" (2x) mode for compatibility reasons, which would result in really cramped situations on today's lower resolution screens.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

japtor posted:

Biggest issue I've seen is that you can't make the global base system UI stuff (widgets/controls, system text, etc) any bigger. There's particular settings in the different apps or for particular views, but nothing really global. The closest is the zoom, which is kind of unwieldy to use all the time, or just run at a lower resolution, which only really works if the screen size and resolution are big enough (cause otherwise everything gets cramped as hell). It's blurry but it works if you can stand it.

Mountain Lion may help if they enable UI scaling at arbitrary scale factors but I could see them just sticking with "HiDPI" (2x) mode for compatibility reasons, which would result in really cramped situations on today's lower resolution screens.

You can increase the scaling of UI elements through terminal but it looks a bit weird since a lot of stuff doesn't have high res assets. Run the following command in terminal (the number at the end is the magnitude, 1.1 is 10% larger than normal):
code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.1

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that's been there for years, I meant as a standard non developer thing meant for normal users. From WWDC last year they basically said to design for 2x (cause the issues with fractional scaling)...hopefully the work to get that done would get in between levels to be usable enough though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Colonel Sanders posted:

I think I am being paranoid about my Macbook battery. The original Apple battery is from 2006 and has 250 cycles, holds only 3700mAH according to system report.

So I ordered a Techno Earth replacement battery, the specs say it is a 5400mAH battery.

According to the directions that came with the battery, I should have put it my laptop and drained it to 3%, discharging below 3% is strictly prohibited, etc. I assumed my macbook would shut off at 3%, but instead it got down to 2% and as per the directions I decided to shut it off. So that kinda makes me wonder if letting my macbook decide when to shut off will be bad for my battery?

I have no yet finished fully recharging the new battery, but system report states that a full charge will hold 4900mAH, that is better than my original battery but 500mAH short of what the product claims! I don't particularly care about 500mAH lower capacity, I just want to know if that is normal or not. I am assuming this is due to system report not accurately measuring the capacity of the battery? I have not yet contacted the seller because I want to get an opinion from someone who does not have a monetary interest in this first.

Also, if I plan to use my macbook at home and keep it plugged in and fully charged all the time will that kill my battery? And as for cycling the battery, Apple recommends fully charge then discharge the battery like once a month (Techno Earth claims 1 every 2 months) but a random internet website said to charge to full capacity, and leave the charger on for a few hours before discharging, is that a good or bad idea?

In my experience this is pretty normal with 3rd party batteries. They never hold as much as they claim, and often the laptop will suddenly shut down at a few percent battery left, rather than going to sleep like normal. I'm guessing that's why they recommend shutting it down at 3%, so you have the opportunity to save and so forth.

Battery life in general seems to be pretty much only related to charge cycles. I wouldn't worry about discharging it at all to be honest, although if you are just leaving it plugged in, why did you buy a new battery?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Battery life in general seems to be pretty much only related to charge cycles. I wouldn't worry about discharging it at all to be honest, although if you are just leaving it plugged in, why did you buy a new battery?

Doesn't at least one Macbook model slow down when the battery is removed and you're plugged in?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't they all? Except Airs obviously.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JP Money posted:

Don't they all? Except Airs obviously.
Wait, why would the laptop slow down when plugged in, regardless of whether the battery is installed?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, why would the laptop slow down when plugged in, regardless of whether the battery is installed?

Don't ask me. It only happens with the battery out apparently. I haven't owned a non-Air macbook so I can't comment any further but I definitely remember that the macbook's go into gimp mode in that configuration. Or at least used to.

EDIT - Old article but it was one of the top hits on google when I just looked

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,6643.html

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My 2006 15" Macbook Pro (Intel) has been collecting dust ever since I got my Mac Pro a couple years ago. The main reason I don't use it is because the battery (the apple one that came with it) doesn't hold a charge. I can use the laptop when it's plugged in, but I'm going on a long trip, and want my laptop to be functional once more.

Where's the best place I can get a good battery replacement? Also, have many things changed, battery-wise, from 2006 to now? Am I going to have to really look out to make sure I don't buy the wrong kind?

EDIT: I should mention, it's a unibody. I found this link, anyone have any experience with NuPower? http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/Framework.cfm?page=nwt_battery/macbook_pro_15.html

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 17, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

japtor posted:

Yeah that's been there for years, I meant as a standard non developer thing meant for normal users. From WWDC last year they basically said to design for 2x (cause the issues with fractional scaling)...hopefully the work to get that done would get in between levels to be usable enough though.
They're advising developers to ship 1x and 2x bitmaps, not vectors, so I'm not sure how much of a help that will be to you.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 17, 2012

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't gently caress with non-Apple power supplies and batteries. They aren't worth it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JP Money posted:

Don't ask me. It only happens with the battery out apparently. I haven't owned a non-Air macbook so I can't comment any further but I definitely remember that the macbook's go into gimp mode in that configuration. Or at least used to.

EDIT - Old article but it was one of the top hits on google when I just looked

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,6643.html
I'm not sure if this is the actual reason, but what I've read before is basically that the power brick doesn't provide enough juice to power the computer at full tilt and relies on the battery to provide the rest. Perhaps that's why the old Mac minis had a 110w brick while the equivalent MacBooks had a 45w one.

Small White Dragon posted:

They're advising developer to ship 1x and 2x bitmaps, not vectors, so I'm not sure how much of a help that will be to you.
Well I'd hope the higher res bitmaps could be used at 1.x levels and look better/less broken than what happens now, kind of like how the dock interpolation works between icon sizes. Guess we'll find out in a few months.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 17, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Josh Lyman posted:

Ooooo, look what I found in the FAQ..

some drat goon wrote posted:

Is it true that my MacBook / MacBook Pro will run slower on AC power with the battery removed / or with a dead battery?

Yes. There's an Apple technote that confirms this, plus Tom's Hardware indepedently verified it a while back. They'll run at 50% speed without a good battery.

As to why, Apple doesn't give a reason but someone's already given a reasonable explanation.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 17, 2012

Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G

japtor posted:

B&H is a trusted retailer in case you were paranoid about them.

$95 for Applecare on a new MBA is too good to pass up and I'd be all about it if it would let me place an order with a Florida billing address :(

Anybody know why certain states are restricted from this deal? Are any other retailers offering heavily discounted Applecare? Also, if I were to purchase a MBA today from Amazon, could I just go to an Apple store anytime up to a year from now and get the student discounted Applecare ($183) on it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dbeatles34 posted:

$95 for Applecare on a new MBA is too good to pass up and I'd be all about it if it would let me place an order with a Florida billing address :(

Anybody know why certain states are restricted from this deal? Are any other retailers offering heavily discounted Applecare? Also, if I were to purchase a MBA today from Amazon, could I just go to an Apple store anytime up to a year from now and get the student discounted Applecare ($183) on it?

Actually Apple doesn't sell Applecare to Florida at all, due to their heavy regulations on extended warranties. Apple has to pay a fee and disclose certain business aspects to be able to sell and they don't want to do it. I believe you can buy it in a boxed version in Florida though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dbeatles34 posted:

Actually Apple doesn't sell Applecare to Florida at all, due to their heavy regulations on extended warranties. From their T&Cs:

Apple posted:

This Plan is offered and valid only in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, Brazil, and Mexico. This Plan is not valid in any other country or U.S. territory.

This Plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law.

Apple has to pay a fee and disclose certain business aspects to be able to sell and they don't want to do it. I believe you can buy it in a boxed version in Florida though.

Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G

FCKGW posted:

Apple has to pay a fee and disclose certain business aspects to be able to sell and they don't want to do it. I believe you can buy it in a boxed version in Florida though.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea about the Florida restriction. As to my 3rd question, it looks like I can buy AppleCare at any time up to a year later from a Florida Apple store with a student discount and register it at home, comes to $194 with tax. Looks like buying the MBA from Amazon with AppleCare from the education store is my cheapest option for protection. Thanks again!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Swapped the stock drive back into my 27" iMac so I can it serviced for the dark smudges on the screen. Here's hoping it's a quick and painless repair like the last goon who had it done.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Can anyone recommend a truly rugged clip on protective case for a macbook? The ones on amazon seem to be either thin hard plastic or thin soft rubber, neither of which seem like they would really help when MY WIFE drops her macbook again. Is there a product which does more than stopping the case getting scratched?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

I can keep my laptop plugged in all the time, and it will most likely spend most of it's life connected to a charger, but I still want some portability for when I travel. Also, the battery was $35 vs $120 for an apple, and I sorted Macbook batteries on amazon by average consumer rating and the Techno Earth battery was highest. It was not the cheapest "Made In China(tm)" battery so that suggested a little bit of quality. My original battery still works fairly well, I keep my brightness down real low most of the time and lasts about 3 or 4 hours. But the original battery with 250 cycles was saying "service battery soon". Ironically, about a day before the replacement arrived, my original battery stopped displaying that message, I suspect it had something to do with also recently installing Lion.

Overall I am fairly pleased with the aftermarket $35 battery, the fit is as good if not better than the original (not perfect), and the color is a good match. Only two things suck, gray rubber foot on the battery was replaced by a hard white plastic foot, and the LEDs that indicate charge are a little out of line with the holes and make the plastic glow a lot. I will have to check again to see if this battery will let my Mac go to sleep or just suddenly kill it.

On an unrelated note, the only real annoying thing about my first MacBook is that within a week after getting it, I found out that 10.8 is coming out next summer and won't support x3100 graphics. I really wanted Safari 5.2, don't care much for any of the other iOS features.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Finally picked up a Samsung 830 128 GB, slapped it into my old MacBook Mid-2009 model, and it's running wonderfully.

Wiped the disk with Disk Utility, cloned my old HD onto the SSD, rebooted, worked mostly fine after.

Seems like it doesn't like Trim Enabler 2.0, got kernel panics with it. Disabled it and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Enabled noatime and disabled the sleepimage to save space. Yes I know, if the battery or AC seizes up I'm up the creek, don't care, and didn't bother redoing the Lion Recovery partition, because I have a flotilla of bootable USB and FireWire drives that'll do the same thing, and I need that 650 MB.

Waiting for the old 5400 RPM mechanical drive finally drove me over the edge,, the $15 off the NewEgg price ($185 shipped) was too good for me to pass up.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 19, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Speaking of SSDs, the only way it seems to get a dual drive into an iMac is to buy an iMac that has the SSD + HDD combo in it. However paying an extra $600 for a 256GB SSD seems a bit ... absurd, especially when it takes the $1499 21.5" to $2099.

Is it possible to do like an OptiBay thing within the iMac? Has anyone done that and is willing to shed some insight on difficulty, problems?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

FlashBangBob posted:

Speaking of SSDs, the only way it seems to get a dual drive into an iMac is to buy an iMac that has the SSD + HDD combo in it. However paying an extra $600 for a 256GB SSD seems a bit ... absurd, especially when it takes the $1499 21.5" to $2099.

Is it possible to do like an OptiBay thing within the iMac? Has anyone done that and is willing to shed some insight on difficulty, problems?

There is a spot and a connector for it, just not a bracket. Some tape easily solves that. Sits right under the cd-rom drive.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm using an OWC data doubler bracket ('09 27"). It seemed expensive and didn't come with the necessary screws. :argh: I took some spares from a 60's Bell telephone (no reason). Otherwise, it was the best possible decision. Word to the wise: try and flash your SSD to the latest firmware _before_ sticking it in a difficult place without bootable CD/DVD access. You know, like an iMac's optical bay.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

MrEnigma posted:

There is a spot and a connector for it, just not a bracket. Some tape easily solves that. Sits right under the cd-rom drive.

It seems like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2428-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/6434/1

Guide shows the "Dual Drive Kit" installation, you make it sound like its a simple as sliding your SSD under the optical drive with some tape and hoping it holds .. is it really that simple?

e: or even this guide: http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

FlashBangBob posted:

It seems like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2428-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/6434/1

Guide shows the "Dual Drive Kit" installation, you make it sound like its a simple as sliding your SSD under the optical drive with some tape and hoping it holds .. is it really that simple?

e: or even this guide: http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html
this is a thunderbolt iMac so it might be different, but that's where my drive is. Bought a specific cable on amazon, the drive, opened it up pretty far and taped it under the cd rom drive. Normally there would be a plastic adapter if it came with a sad from the factory and I think you can buy them, but that involves taking everything apart. Tape worked great.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another option on a TB iMac is to spend $150 to get the Seagate GoFlex adapter + TB cable, then ghetto rig the SSD on (shim and some rubber bands?) or find a dead GoFlex drive/enclosure. Down the line will be other options but that's one of the few for now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

Today, I've started losing my wireless signal. Except I haven't - the menubar item still looks lit up as normal, but pages don't load, pings fail, and when I click on the item the drop down menu states 'No networks'. If I turn it off, it won't turn back on again. No errors are displayed at any point either.

Out of curiosity, I checked the hardware profiler when the problem happened last:

Okay guys, so I took my MBP into the Fruit Stand for this and a yellowing screen issue. Apart from them accidentally putting the standard resolution screen in as a replacement for my slightly yellowing high resolution one, they replaced the wifi card in the machine. The MAC address has changed so I'm sure they did actually do this.

I'm using it now with the standard resolution screen in whilst they wait for a replacement high res one to get in stock, and whilst everything being huge is relatively easy to adjust to, the wifi problem I had before returning again is not.

It's exactly the same behaviour as before. In the store they booted the Genius USB drive install and it seemed to be working there when it wasn't on my Lion install, and the hardware diagnostics passed fine, so they suggested it might be a software issue. I thought at the time it was nice of them to replace the wifi card anyway, just in case.

Since then I reinstalled Lion to no improvement, and thought I might as well try my luck and satisfy curiosity and give the Mountain Lion DP a go. Still no dice - it still randomly decides it's not an official Airport card, and turns itself off whilst refusing to turn back on, leaving the icon on the menubar looking like it's connected with no problems:

The problem is intermittent at best and appears to only show up with use of the connection, so it's pretty tricky for them to pin down by just leaving it on the store's wifi idling, which doesn't bode well for getting results.

I've already done the SMC/PRAM etc etc resets over and over too. I really have no idea what the hell could be causing this, and the guys in the store seemed to have never seen this behaviour either. I'm gonna be taking it back in this week for the screen to be upgraded anyway, but if they've already replaced the whole wifi assembly what else can they reasonably do?

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 19, 2012

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Neurophonic posted:

Okay guys, so I took my MBP into the Fruit Stand for this and a yellowing screen issue. Apart from them accidentally putting the standard resolution screen in as a replacement for my slightly yellowing high resolution one, they replaced the wifi card in the machine. The MAC address has changed so I'm sure they did actually do this.

I'm using it now with the standard resolution screen in whilst they wait for a replacement high res one to get in stock, and whilst everything being huge is relatively easy to adjust to, the wifi problem I had before returning again is not.

It's exactly the same behaviour as before. In the store they booted the Genius USB drive install and it seemed to be working there when it wasn't on my Lion install, and the hardware diagnostics passed fine, so they suggested it might be a software issue. I thought at the time it was nice of them to replace the wifi card anyway, just in case.

Since then I reinstalled Lion to no improvement, and thought I might as well try my luck and satisfy curiosity and give the Mountain Lion DP a go. Still no dice - it still randomly decides it's not an official Airport card, and turns itself off whilst refusing to turn back on, leaving the icon on the menubar looking like it's connected with no problems:

The problem is intermittent at best and appears to only show up with use of the connection, so it's pretty tricky for them to pin down by just leaving it on the store's wifi idling, which doesn't bode well for getting results.

I've already done the SMC/PRAM etc etc resets over and over too. I really have no idea what the hell could be causing this, and the guys in the store seemed to have never seen this behaviour either. I'm gonna be taking it back in this week for the screen to be upgraded anyway, but if they've already replaced the whole wifi assembly what else can they reasonably do?

Only thing I can think they would do at this point would be a Logic Board replacement. Barring that, I can't say I've seen that before, either.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
One thing I just thought of....Did you re-import your old data after the reinstall? (Meaning did you use the migration wizard?)

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
My girlfriend's 65W charger died while she is studying in Madrid.

The US Apple store refuses to ship internationally.

She doesn't want a EU charger because that means using an adaptor once she's back in the states.

Any ideas on how I can get a US 65W adapter to her short of buying one and shipping it myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

niggerstink420 posted:

My girlfriend's 65W charger died while she is studying in Madrid.

The US Apple store refuses to ship internationally.

She doesn't want a EU charger because that means using an adaptor once she's back in the states.

Any ideas on how I can get a US 65W adapter to her short of buying one and shipping it myself?

Can she just keep the wall plug part of her old charger, or are the voltages drastically different?