Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Boromir wouldn't be nearly as stupidly honorable, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Boromir's honour got his rear end killed. If he hadn't tried to redeem himself for molesting Frodo, he'd still be knocking back flagons at the mead house with his battle-brothers.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

At least Boromir didn't claim that the ring was Sauron's by right as poor Ned no doubt would have.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That would be just the right amount of crazy. Ned harping on Aragorn for plotting to destroy that which doesn't belong to him then usurping the throne of Gondor without right by conquest.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

That would be just the right amount of crazy. Ned harping on Aragorn for plotting to destroy that which doesn't belong to him then usurping the throne of Gondor without right by conquest.

I think we just found the perfect crossover. A less awesome swap would be Samwell for Samwise.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

I think we just found the perfect crossover. A less awesome swap would be Samwell for Samwise.

Samwell for youtube recording artist Samwell, you mean, of "What What, in the Butt" fame!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well you are in luck! I'm sure someone in this thread can whip up a little Katniss/Littlefinger encounter or just switch Gale and Gendry, or maybe some hot lovin' between the two.

I reflexively started writing a Katniss meets Jon at the wall scene in my head (You know nothing, Katniss Everdeen) after reading this post before I realized what I was doing. Goddamn you.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That's actually an interesting idea.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
No, no it's not.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That was aimed at bigmcgaffney's idea, actually.

I still want to see Ned Stark in Boromir's place.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Sophia posted:

I reflexively started writing a Katniss meets Jon at the wall scene in my head (You know nothing, Katniss Everdeen) after reading this post before I realized what I was doing. Goddamn you.

The parallels between the Wall and the District 12, teen angst, Kyle Orton in the Haymitch role... the scenario practically writes itself

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

At least Boromir didn't claim that the ring was Sauron's by right as poor Ned no doubt would have.

The picture painted of a world dominated by Sauron is completely untrue and is just mindless Gondorian propaganda. Hundreds of thousands of lives would have been saved if the Council of Elrond had simply decided to return the Ring to Sauron.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Octy posted:

The picture painted of a world dominated by Sauron is completely untrue and is just mindless Gondorian propaganda. Hundreds of thousands of lives would have been saved if the Council of Elrond had simply decided to return the Ring to Sauron.

In fact, it is true that Sauron was improving the quality of life of the Orcoids, Southrons and Easterlings by developing an industrial sector to generate wealth and work in regions unfit for the large scale plantations found throughout Gondor. The struggle of the Lord of the Rings is the conflict between the landed nobility and the developing bourgeois of Mordor, but the reactionaries ultimately triumphed over the Dark Lord.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Stop framing the conflict in Gondorian terms. "Dark Lord", indeed.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Exactly the same things.

Boromir would have raped more.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Stop framing the conflict in Gondorian terms. "Dark Lord", indeed.

Stop insinuating that "Dark" is a bad thing you racist!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
the eye of sauron is an example of male gaze because

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Kyle Orton in the Haymitch role

Well now I have to do it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nuncle jimbo posted:

the eye of sauron is an example of male gaze because

Wait, there were girls in the Lord of the Rings?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Did you see that giant flaming vagina that was the bad guy?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Did you see that giant flaming vagina that was the bad guy?

Those scenes were hot.

Pretty sure that GRRM has the same type of villain (Cersei)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The war for Cersei's oval office indeed.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I want to start a band called "The Flaming Gaze of Sauron" but I don't play any instruments.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

ZearothK posted:

yeah dude it had the kid from rudy

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I want to start a band called "The Flaming Gaze of Sauron" but I don't play any instruments.

You could just open a gay bar with that title.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Neither did any of the Grammy winners.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who all won the grammys? I really don't care about award shows, but I want to know how many GoT actors/actresses won.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

Who all won the grammys? I really don't care about award shows, but I want to know how many GoT actors/actresses won.

Grammys are music. :ssh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Skrillex (the dude that presses play on a laptop) and some lady who sings other people's songs through some voice distortion software.

I heard a Grammy winner playlist and it was basically a really bad 90's Sci-Fi movie soundtrack which would have a very weird sex scene with the teen heartthrob boy actor thrown in for the ladies, because there's this one out of place lame love song.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Whops well emmys, whatever.

Awards shows suck, are horrible and no one should know about them :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MikeJF posted:

That's debatable.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dead Man Posting posted:

Whops well emmys, whatever.

Awards shows suck, are horrible and no one should know about them :colbert:

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) won best supporting actor.

Oh god I seriousposted in the bad thread :negative:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Oh god I seriousposted in the bad thread :negative:

Wait... This the bad thread?

:iceburn:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

whowhatwhere posted:

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) won best supporting actor.
Which Mark Addy should have won first. Dinklage will get plenty of other chances but this was Addy's only one.

The opening credits also won an Emmy btw.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Joramun posted:

Which Mark Addy should have won first. Dinklage will get plenty of other chances but this was Addy's only one.

The opening credits also won an Emmy btw.

I suppose you can't really top an impractically pop-up map.

And Addy really should've gotten the nomination. Dinklage's time to shine really will be ACOK, which is Tyrion at his best.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nah, ASoS is his time to shine. ACoK is just him being scheming and the like, which doesn't pull in the Emmy awards. ASoS is basically one giant series of him Acting with Deep Emotion. Love, Loss, Kindness (Sansa), Hatred (Jaime's revelation, Tywin), Defeat, blablablablabla. The Emmy committee won't be able to resist it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Nah, ASoS is his time to shine. ACoK is just him being scheming and the like, which doesn't pull in the Emmy awards. ASoS is basically one giant series of him Acting with Deep Emotion. Love, Loss, Kindness (Sansa), Hatred (Jaime's revelation, Tywin), Defeat, blablablablabla. The Emmy committee won't be able to resist it.

I suppose so, but I really enjoyed his scheming. Either way, he'll have plenty of chances to get more Emmy's.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

What happened to the really serious discussion we were having about Lord of the Rings? What is it about this thread that ruins everything?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I came to this series at the announcement of the television series, so I don't have the abiding distaste for Feast as long time fans do, but since Dance follows the same pattern of nothing really happening, I can see where the backdraft came from.

In an odd twist of fate, I think Feast would make for interesting television, since even by the standards of the books it's mostly dialogue. While I imagine they would combine seasons, it would be interesting to see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and (depending on her upcoming performance) Gwendoline Christie take almost main character roles. While I imagine they're gonna cut a lot, the later seasons are going to be a logistical nightmare when it comes to casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Paging www to the IRC channel -- we're stuck on voice only again. :<

What's that?! IRC channel you say? Why, yes! Please feel free to join your favorite Gurmophiles in the best IRC channel to ever be. Pokemon, gay sex, elves, pedo Reddit, ponies, and THE GREATEST BOOKS EVER are frequently discussed, but our conversations are clearly lacking without YOUR input!

irc.synirc.net
#thebadthread

http://www.mibbit.com/ if you don't feel like installing a client.

ETA mornings are generally quiet, if you log in and nobody's saying poo poo, say hello, see who's around, or check back in the afternoons when more folks are awake.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 21, 2012