Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Bob Morales posted:

Can she just keep the wall plug part of her old charger, or are the voltages drastically different?

I believe all Apple power chargers are auto switching from 110 to 240 volts. What are the chances the duck head is the part what is actually broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
If I want to start using my old 2009 MBP as an HTPC, I understand that the Mini-DP doesn't carry audio which means that I'll have to have another cable going from the MBP's audio jack to my TV. Will I have to worry about audio/video syncing issues? I see that there are some Kanex adapters that combine audio and video into one HDMI cable, but they have absolutely terrible reviews.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

niggerstink420 posted:

I believe all Apple power chargers are auto switching from 110 to 240 volts. What are the chances the duck head is the part what is actually broken?

By duck head part I assume you corner that snaps on and has the actual outlet, shown here. Considering the low complexity of the piece I would be fairly amazed if it was broken, perhaps you can have her ask the apple store employee to try a different adapter on the brick just to make sure it is in fact the brick that is dead.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Colonel Sanders posted:

By duck head part I assume you corner that snaps on and has the actual outlet, shown here. Considering the low complexity of the piece I would be fairly amazed if it was broken, perhaps you can have her ask the apple store employee to try a different adapter on the brick just to make sure it is in fact the brick that is dead.

Yeah I'm just taking my chances and hoping it is.

I was able to place an order from the Spanish online Apple store, so she will have one in a couple days. I just hope my really horrid grasp of the language didn't end up ordering me like 9 new Mac Pros on my credit card.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

niggerstink420 posted:

My girlfriend's 65W charger died while she is studying in Madrid.

The US Apple store refuses to ship internationally.

She doesn't want a EU charger because that means using an adaptor once she's back in the states.

Any ideas on how I can get a US 65W adapter to her short of buying one and shipping it myself?

The chargers are universal and the figure-8 connector is also actually standardized; when I went to the UK last I paid £5 for a cable from a corner electrical shop and used that with the power brick without issue.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

NerdsMcGee posted:

One thing I just thought of....Did you re-import your old data after the reinstall? (Meaning did you use the migration wizard?)

Nope, fresh installs both times bar the adding of my iCloud account. I guess I'll try a clean install with a temporary new user this time, but if it's something that's coming in from iCloud's side that'd be pretty poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

FlashBangBob posted:

Speaking of SSDs, the only way it seems to get a dual drive into an iMac is to buy an iMac that has the SSD + HDD combo in it. However paying an extra $600 for a 256GB SSD seems a bit ... absurd, especially when it takes the $1499 21.5" to $2099.

Is it possible to do like an OptiBay thing within the iMac? Has anyone done that and is willing to shed some insight on difficulty, problems?

This is why I ended up getting a Mini instead of an iMac. (Well, that and I also already had a 24" LED Cinema Display.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

chutwig posted:

The chargers are universal and the figure-8 connector is also actually standardized; when I went to the UK last I paid £5 for a cable from a corner electrical shop and used that with the power brick without issue.

This is the total truth as far as all MagSafe based power supplies are concerned, I've had clients go to Germany, Hong Kong, mainland China, and all they ever needed were different duck heads / cables for their MacBook Pro/Airs, no messy voltage converters necessary.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is why I ended up getting a Mini instead of an iMac. (Well, that and I also already had a 24" LED Cinema Display.)

Well, I'm going to be waiting for the iMac refresh (which I am guessing will be around May, but I have no idea). However with the delay of the Ivy Bridge processors until "After June" I have no idea when they're going to be refreshed. They may just go with more powerful Sandy Bridge processors and maybe release higher-res displays.. maybe 64 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD standard in their base model and 128 GB + 1 TB in their higher models. I'm really eager to see what they are doing with the line this year.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
In fact the iMacs are already touting the best models of the Intel Sandy Bridge processors. The rumors of the iMac getting a redesign bodes well for them to keep some other things constant, like the processor & ram, but boast about the newest parts of their redesign. Here's hoping to the standard SSD + HDD combo (so they can claim the iMac gets "instant on"), USB 3.0 maybe, "iTV/Apple TV" Built in.

But really who knows they're just hopes and dreams

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
no, an affordable flash/HDD solution has been warranted for a while now. Apple should be able to come up with some tech to cache on flash or something so the user doesn't have to think about which things are on the flash and which are on the HDD.

:spergin: I was just thinking about the term SSD and it doesn't seem like there's a legit way for that acronym to make sense considering it's neither a disk or a drive. So I'm gonna say flash storage like Apple does.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I wish they'd use the SSD sticks from the Air in their entire lineup of Macs and have no idea why they haven't yet.

It makes so much sense to have the Macbooks Pro with both a platter drive and an Air stick, same for the iMac and Mini...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

passionate dongs posted:

If I want to start using my old 2009 MBP as an HTPC, I understand that the Mini-DP doesn't carry audio which means that I'll have to have another cable going from the MBP's audio jack to my TV. Will I have to worry about audio/video syncing issues? I see that there are some Kanex adapters that combine audio and video into one HDMI cable, but they have absolutely terrible reviews.
You shouldn't have sync issues unless your TV/AV setup sucks (or I guess you have some other funky issues going on). I looked into the Kanex and others (like Monoprice) too, it seemed like the general gist of reviews was basically that it works until it burns itself out. I couldn't really tell if it was really common, or a bad batch, or just one of those "people with bad experiences are more likely to post about it" things.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I wish they'd use the SSD sticks from the Air in their entire lineup of Macs and have no idea why they haven't yet.

It makes so much sense to have the Macbooks Pro with both a platter drive and an Air stick, same for the iMac and Mini...

They're still very expensive, but I would like to see it happen in that potential new macbook pro air mashup.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm probably going to buy an iMac when the new models come out, and I'm hoping that the cost of the SSD options will go down somewhat. I'd rather boot from a SSD and have a large external storage for media, than have one large mechanical hard drive.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm probably going to buy an iMac when the new models come out, and I'm hoping that the cost of the SSD options will go down somewhat. I'd rather boot from a SSD and have a large external storage for media, than have one large mechanical hard drive.

This is exactly what I've been thinking of doing after playing around with OSX on a Hackintosh. Anyone know how hard it would be to manually throw in an SSD or Platter drive if I were to buy it with just one from the factory?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What is the i7 processor on the 27" iMac? I can't find it through :google:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What is the i7 processor on the 27" iMac? I can't find it through :google:

Judging off it being 3.4ghz I would assume it's the i7-2600, since that's the current generation offering at that speed.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Baram posted:

This is exactly what I've been thinking of doing after playing around with OSX on a Hackintosh. Anyone know how hard it would be to manually throw in an SSD or Platter drive if I were to buy it with just one from the factory?

http://ssd.youds.com/

It's doable, but it definitely crossed over the line of things I'd want to do to a brand new computer right off the bat.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

http://ssd.youds.com/

It's doable, but it definitely crossed over the line of things I'd want to do to a brand new computer right off the bat.

I put a SSD in a 2011 TB iMac. I unscrewed the logic board and was able to clip the cable on without ever pulling it. Pulled power supply, cd-rom, hard drive, and maybe a couple of other things, but that was all really easy.

The only issue was connecting the main cable on the display (i think there are three you need to disconnect halfway up). Almost busted it, but somehow got it clipped in, and everything works, so here's to that.

Edit: I did notice the other day that the glass wasn't sitting completely flat on one side, must have messed up a clip or something, so I'll pull the glass off again here shortly, but that's super easy.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

FlashBangBob posted:

Well, I'm going to be waiting for the iMac refresh (which I am guessing will be around May, but I have no idea). However with the delay of the Ivy Bridge processors until "After June" I have no idea when they're going to be refreshed. They may just go with more powerful Sandy Bridge processors and maybe release higher-res displays.. maybe 64 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD standard in their base model and 128 GB + 1 TB in their higher models. I'm really eager to see what they are doing with the line this year.

I didn't know about that delay. I've just decided to jump into my first ever Mac with a Mac Mini but I thought I'd wait for the 2012 revision. If it's going to be much later than June I might not bother waiting and just grab one now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well someone on Twitter asked Anand about that article:

anandshimpi posted:

I haven't heard anything of that sort, I've heard reports to the contrary though, asking more OEMs now...

quote:

yeah so far I haven't heard of any delays
In any case if you choose to get a computer now, get a refurb one to save some money. If you end up wanting a new one when they come out you can probably sell and buy without much of a hit since minis hold their value really well.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Coq au Nandos posted:

I didn't know about that delay. I've just decided to jump into my first ever Mac with a Mac Mini but I thought I'd wait for the 2012 revision. If it's going to be much later than June I might not bother waiting and just grab one now.

This is why you try to take some of those articles with a grain of salt.

If the iPad is announced on March 7th and released similar to last year, one week later like on March 16th... My guess is they will let the iPad 3 take the spotlight for at least a month. That puts it at April 16th. April 16th is a few weeks after the Ivy Bridge processors are rumored to be shipping.. Lining up the iMac refresh perfectly around where they had it last year -- May 3rd. If I were to try to pinpoint a date for an iMac refresh if they are only upgrading internals, then I'd say at or around May 8th.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Trim Enabler just got a minor update from v.2.0 to 2.1. Patch allows the S.M.A.R.T. button to select any drive enabled, not just the SSD.

I actually decided to enable it when I realized my kernel panics with my Samsung 830 might be something I forgot to set in Magician Assistant or whatever, I just ran it on a separate PC hooked up to the drive, seemed to clear things right up without resetting anything.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 20, 2012

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

FlashBangBob posted:

This is why you try to take some of those articles with a grain of salt.

If the iPad is announced on March 7th and released similar to last year, one week later like on March 16th... My guess is they will let the iPad 3 take the spotlight for at least a month. That puts it at April 16th. April 16th is a few weeks after the Ivy Bridge processors are rumored to be shipping.. Lining up the iMac refresh perfectly around where they had it last year -- May 3rd. If I were to try to pinpoint a date for an iMac refresh if they are only upgrading internals, then I'd say at or around May 8th.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but does the Mac Mini generally get refreshed at the same time as the iMac?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but does the Mac Mini generally get refreshed at the same time as the iMac?
Nope. The Mac Mini "usually" goes so long between updates that the blogs start reporting that it's getting discontinued.

Also I continue to hate Genius Bar appointments. I dropped of my 27" iMac for the grey smudge issue and the guy checked it in for a glass cleaning and possible replacement. Unfortunately I can't tell him "it's not the glass, it's the LCD assembly. I checked myself." because removing the glass is a no-no. So now I wait for 1-3 days for them to do a repair that won't fix it, at which point I'll go back in, tell them to do it right, and wait another few days.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 20, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Coq au Nandos posted:

In the OP there's a link to the Mac Buyer's Guide from Mac Rumors, here's what the current release history is of the Mac Mini:
code:
 CURRENT: 215 days
 07/2011  400 days
 06/2010  238 days
 10/2009  231 days
 03/2009  574 days
 08/2007  335 days
So as you can see sometimes they update it within 9 months, other times, nearly a year and a half. It goes along with the SWSP said about that they may consider discontinuing it. However their server Mac Mini is pretty nice, and I bet its a better selling server than their Mac Pro currently.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O
Some serious evidence for "Retina" display Macs:

http://dcurt.is/retina

This is going to be so great, hopefully it sparks a fire under the rear end of the entire industry and gets companies working on ultra high res, high PPI monitors/displays!

Fat Whale fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 20, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I... wait, what's with the hand giving the shocker?

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
And I'm pretty sure it turned out 10.7.3 was not the update that introduced arrows and the hands that could scale up to huge.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Anyone have an issue with the hinge on a MBP moving? Mine is slowly shifting forward a mm or so every week. There's a tiny nick in the corner but there's no physical damage to the upper shell. Using a thule 15" case and it's quite well treated.

Will apple care cover this or a wear and tear issue?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Did you just forecast / justify an "iMac Air" sans HDD/DVD and bottom chin? Basically a "complete" Thunderbolt Display? It makes so much sense that I have a head-smack moment a la hearing that Mountain Lion exists after Lion. I mean it did 3 years ago but now there's little left to the imagination. Except, what– touch swivel and Siri?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

kuskus posted:

Did you just forecast / justify an "iMac Air" sans HDD/DVD and bottom chin? Basically a "complete" Thunderbolt Display? It makes so much sense that I have a head-smack moment a la hearing that Mountain Lion exists after Lion. I mean it did 3 years ago but now there's little left to the imagination. Except, what– touch swivel and Siri?

It's a logical extension of the line, especially since the Mac Minis no longer have them.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

mediaphage posted:

It's a logical extension of the line, especially since the Mac Minis no longer have them.

I can't wait to not have a DVD drive in any of my computers. I just don't need them anymore.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Viktor posted:

Anyone have an issue with the hinge on a MBP moving? Mine is slowly shifting forward a mm or so every week. There's a tiny nick in the corner but there's no physical damage to the upper shell. Using a thule 15" case and it's quite well treated.

Will apple care cover this or a wear and tear issue?
Probably just the hinge gettin' loose. I've had to open mine up and tighten it before. My mbp is a late 2008 unibody, which uses T6 torx screws for the hinge.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Probably just the hinge gettin' loose. I've had to open mine up and tighten it before. My mbp is a late 2008 unibody, which uses T6 torx screws for the hinge.

Forgot to mention its a late 2011 model, guess its the constant heat expansion/contraction in that corner. I'll take it apart and report back.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Viktor posted:

Forgot to mention its a late 2011 model, guess its the constant heat expansion/contraction in that corner. I'll take it apart and report back.

If you travel with it stored vertically a lot, it's probably that. It's pretty easy to realign unless you somehow bent the hell out of the hinges but that probably didn't happen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

In the OP there's a link to the Mac Buyer's Guide from Mac Rumors, here's what the current release history is of the Mac Mini:
code:
 CURRENT: 215 days
 07/2011  400 days
 06/2010  238 days
 10/2009  231 days
 03/2009  574 days
 08/2007  335 days
So as you can see sometimes they update it within 9 months, other times, nearly a year and a half. It goes along with the SWSP said about that they may consider discontinuing it. However their server Mac Mini is pretty nice, and I bet its a better selling server than their Mac Pro currently.
Discontinuation was a fear before the first 2009 update, cause even the 2007 update was just a CPU swap from the first Intel models in 2006 (second 2009 one was similar, but added the Server model). Since then it's been updated with each major tech bump, gotten a redesign, and it got some unexpectedly big performance options with the last bump. I'd be surprised if it were killed off at this point. I just wouldn't expect immediate updates to it, just whenever there's a window between other announcements.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

I can't wait to not have a DVD drive in any of my computers. I just don't need them anymore.

2011 Mini and iPad 2 over here :smugdog:

Just think about how much room for battery you could have in a Macbook Pro if you got rid of the optical drive and left some room for an SSD stick. Or how thin you could get an iMac if you went to a 2.5" platter drive + SSD stick without an optical drive. Heck, if they went to 2.5" hard drives in the iMac they could make the platter drive and SSD stick accessible from the bottom of the display, instead of making you pull the display to get to it.

That new HP workstation AIO looks terrible, but they do have a point that in a corporate environment you can't expect to have to send things to Apple for repair all the time...sometimes your field services team will need to have the ability to replace a hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm using a 15" MBP and it's mindblowing that Apple doesn't give you a way to control when the discrete graphics turn on. The only choice they give you is to either have it on all the time or only when it needs to. The problem is that practically every drat thing "needs" it and makes the battery life go to poo poo. Why exactly does a web browser like Chrome or Firefox turn on the graphics? Even the Twitter app, Sparrow mail, or just watching some videos turns it on.

I really shouldn't need to use a third-party app to force the laptop to only use Integrated graphics. I don't really see many people online complaining about this. I guess people don't care if they have poo poo battery life.