Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
On my laptop that has windows 7 on it, is there a way for when I click on the battery icon on the taskbar for it to include all or more power plan options than just the 2 it has now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
My family's computer seems to have bit the dust (my mum opened an email, she says everything started to close down, and it no longer opens the user login screen for Windows... it's just a blank black screen indefinitely whether you open normally or in Safe Mode).

It was a sloth before, and we've long since lost the original Win XP CD, but Software4students.co.uk has Win 7 Pro upgrade edition for £38.49 (a more than 80% discount) so we're thinking of just bringing the PC into the modern era.

Can we install the upgrade edition even without being able to load Windows?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

deong posted:

Can I post stupid outlook issues here?
I work IT for a lawfirm, and one of my attorneys is wanting a header when sending out emails. But he wants to be able to turn it off/on when ever, and to be able to use it when sending replies/forwards/new email. I'm not sure if I'm the idiot, or if outlook just does not work with signature files/stationary in the way that he wants. Wondering if anyone here has a suggestion?

His :airquote: needs.
  • Header at the top of the email with a confidentiality statement. (signature file sucks for this obviously)
  • Ability to enable/disable when needed. (New, RE:, FWD:) (Stationary can't do this?)
  • Word wrapping at the edge of the window; not a fixed width table etc. (I've created a few different sig/stationary files but tables screw me up)
  • Will allow for spell checking the body of the email. (Spell check does not check sig files I believe?)
  • His standard signature file at the bottom, which has the company logo as a pic; fonts and colors (ie not plain text). (plain text seems to solve the table/word wrapping issue).
  • Ease is essential. Aging attorneys do not learn quick. At least not this one..

edit: I'm not sure yet; but while typing this up I just had the thought of maybe using auto text correction to do P&C -> Private Confidential BLAH BLAH Lawyer speak automagically.

If you want to modify how a default email looks, edit the NormalEmail.dotm in %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

jet_dee posted:

My family's computer seems to have bit the dust (my mum opened an email, she says everything started to close down, and it no longer opens the user login screen for Windows... it's just a blank black screen indefinitely whether you open normally or in Safe Mode).

It was a sloth before, and we've long since lost the original Win XP CD, but Software4students.co.uk has Win 7 Pro upgrade edition for £38.49 (a more than 80% discount) so we're thinking of just bringing the PC into the modern era.

Can we install the upgrade edition even without being able to load Windows?

You can do a clean install with an upgrade license, but you should probably do some hardware diagnostics before spending the money.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I need to reformat my computer and do a clean install of Win7 x64. I've downloaded and ran the Belarc Advisor utility as an attempt to recover my Windows 7 serial key, but it's showing up as BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB.

I got my Win7 from MSDNAA at my college and they won't let me re-download it. I also didn't document my key.

Is there a way to recover a Windows 7 serial?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

exethan posted:

I need to reformat my computer and do a clean install of Win7 x64. I've downloaded and ran the Belarc Advisor utility as an attempt to recover my Windows 7 serial key, but it's showing up as BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB.

I got my Win7 from MSDNAA at my college and they won't let me re-download it. I also didn't document my key.

Is there a way to recover a Windows 7 serial?

Try jellybean something or other, I forget the exact name. The website will probably say that the free one doesn't work with 7, but that is not correct.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

stubblyhead posted:

Try jellybean something or other, I forget the exact name. The website will probably say that the free one doesn't work with 7, but that is not correct.

Magical Jellybean KeyFinder

stump collector
May 28, 2007

my hosting

It didn't work

If I pay for it, do you think it'll work?

stump collector fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 18, 2012

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone wants to know: I needed to install windows THEN linux. This means that I needed to repartition the linux disk as ntfs because windows needed to install stuff in the boot sector and wasn't willing to just delete the linux partitiona or overwrite the bit in the boot sector. Installing windows 7 now, doing the update dance.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

exethan posted:

my hosting

It didn't work

If I pay for it, do you think it'll work?

No, they did a "slmgr /cpky" to delete the key and prevent what you're trying to do. In any case, the key that was installed there wouldn't activate outside of your university network anyway.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

So I'm running a computer with Server 2003 Ent (MSDN-AA key) at home, as a home/media server. It works pretty well except for some reason I can't remote in, not even on the local network.
Remote Desktop is enabled, and I've even tried it with the firewall down on both ends and I still can't get in, what am I missing?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I formatted and I used to have a really old version of Acrobat Pro. I went searching for new PDF software and saw this thread mentioned FoxIt Reader a bunch.

As a PDF creator I just want to print PDFs of my credit card statements and other web things I save for posterity--is the normal version of FoxIt any good? I wouldn't mind spending the $30 on some software if it is decent.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

So I'm running a computer with Server 2003 Ent (MSDN-AA key) at home, as a home/media server. It works pretty well except for some reason I can't remote in, not even on the local network.
Remote Desktop is enabled, and I've even tried it with the firewall down on both ends and I still can't get in, what am I missing?

What happens when you try? Does the client fail to connect to the remote machine? Connects, but you can't log on?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hamburglar posted:

Only thing I can think of is TeamViewer is going through some server somewhere, and then to your home PC?

That's part of it. If you're just running locally, there's an option in the client under 'extras' that will force it to just communicate over your LAN. It's still slightly laggy, but at least it's not making a round trip over the Internet.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hed posted:

I formatted and I used to have a really old version of Acrobat Pro. I went searching for new PDF software and saw this thread mentioned FoxIt Reader a bunch.

As a PDF creator I just want to print PDFs of my credit card statements and other web things I save for posterity--is the normal version of FoxIt any good? I wouldn't mind spending the $30 on some software if it is decent.

Do you use Google Chrome? Save to PDF is built in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CutePDF will install a virtual PDF printer if you don't want to go the Chrome route

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seconding CutePDF Writer. It's completely free (no ads or nagging or anything) and works great.

e: It may ask if you want to install a URL bar thingy when you first install it but if so you can just say no.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Bullzip PDF Printer isn't bad either, and it's also free.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

What happens when you try? Does the client fail to connect to the remote machine? Connects, but you can't log on?

It doesn't connect it fails with a generic error and tells me it's either off or RDP is off. I can access shares and view it on the network, but RDP is screwing up for some reason.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Galler posted:

Seconding CutePDF Writer. It's completely free (no ads or nagging or anything) and works great.

If I select a bunch of files and right-click to print, will it ask me for filenames to print to for each file separately? A colleague wants something free that will just quietly go ahead and batch convert files to PDF, and a simple print to PDF would work so long as it kept quiet about it.

beze
Sep 7, 2005

Now! With 25% More Stupid!
VLC 2.0.0 is out, big leap from 1.1.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Gromit posted:

If I select a bunch of files and right-click to print, will it ask me for filenames to print to for each file separately? A colleague wants something free that will just quietly go ahead and batch convert files to PDF, and a simple print to PDF would work so long as it kept quiet about it.

I just tried it and it will ask for a file name and save location for each file.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the CutePDF recommendations everyone. Between that and Chrome's option (which I obviously also didn't know about) I'm all set.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Gromit posted:

Check out PDF creator. It has some batching and gather functions.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Intrepid00 posted:

Check out PDF creator. It has some batching and gather functions.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

He's been trying that and apparently it keeps losing the filename and he ends up with blank-named .pdf files overwriting each other.

As another solution I was thinking of finding a commandline converter for unix or something, and writing a script to iterate through a folder. Has to be able to handle Windows Office docs though.

edit: Looks like he might have found a couple of tools to cover it. Slow going converting some huge-rear end spreadsheets, but getting there.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 22, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for clipboard-type application. There's no clipboard passthrough when using the console in vCenter (at least not in the environment I'm working in), and there are a few places in windows that don't play nice with the built-in clipboard also. Any recommendations on what I can use to overcome this?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Are there any Windows email clients that can be configured to only send email?

Company's EPOS system needs to be able to send purchase orders by email from every terminal, but any replies/rejections etc. only need to be managed and readable by one user. The EPOS software uses MAPI (MS, S or X).

Ideally it'd be something that just sits in the tray and sends in the background, but so far I can't see any options.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LittleBob posted:

Are there any Windows email clients that can be configured to only send email?

Company's EPOS system needs to be able to send purchase orders by email from every terminal, but any replies/rejections etc. only need to be managed and readable by one user. The EPOS software uses MAPI (MS, S or X).

Ideally it'd be something that just sits in the tray and sends in the background, but so far I can't see any options.

I've not actually tested this, but have you tried just configuring an account on Outlook with only the outgoing server settings filled in? You could try just filling in garbage information for the receiving settings if they're required.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Hopefully this doesn't constitute as :files: talk, but does anyone have any experience with godkey.net? I see it pop up on Facebook from time to time and checked it out today, there are Windows 7 keys for 20 bucks on there.

Have any of you or anyone you know purchased from this site in the past?

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001
I don't know if this is a question for this thread or not, and I didn't find a topic on it when searching for it, but I was getting this error a lot in the Event Viewer:

Source: Term DD - Event ID: 50 "The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client."

I figure it's just failed attempts at connecting to Remote Desktop from an outside bot or something, but it's got me a little paranoid. Would that error appear or has someone actually successfully connected to my desktop through the RDP and been spying on me? :tinfoil:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mr. Bonky posted:

I don't know if this is a question for this thread or not, and I didn't find a topic on it when searching for it, but I was getting this error a lot in the Event Viewer:

Source: Term DD - Event ID: 50 "The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client."

I figure it's just failed attempts at connecting to Remote Desktop from an outside bot or something, but it's got me a little paranoid. Would that error appear or has someone actually successfully connected to my desktop through the RDP and been spying on me? :tinfoil:

IIRC RDP locks the physical screen when someone is connected (on desktop versions, that is).

Do you have 3389 open on your router?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlexDeGruven posted:

IIRC RDP locks the physical screen when someone is connected (on desktop versions, that is).

Do you have 3389 open on your router?

On server versions too. There's no remote session you're actually looking at, as you cannot connect and "watch" a session using RDP. It sets your session up according to the client parameters.

If I'm wrong, someone can shoot me down, but that's my understanding.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

HalloKitty posted:

On server versions too. There's no remote session you're actually looking at, as you cannot connect and "watch" a session using RDP. It sets your session up according to the client parameters.

If I'm wrong, someone can shoot me down, but that's my understanding.

I knew that part, I was just thinking about multi-session RDP (which go to their own desktop) in server versions which leaves the console alone, vs the single-session in desktop versions which hook you into one session, locking the rest of the system out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlexDeGruven posted:

I knew that part, I was just thinking about multi-session RDP (which go to their own desktop) in server versions which leaves the console alone, vs the single-session in desktop versions which hook you into one session, locking the rest of the system out.

drat, my mistake

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mr. Bonky posted:

Remote Desktop FAQ posted:

You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.
If by any chance you are running another edition of Windows 7, here are instructions to change the basic settings. You can also block port 3389 in your router/firewall.

This is all assuming you have no need for Remote Desktop yourself, obviously.

Also,

AlexDeGruven posted:

RDP locks the physical screen when someone is connected (on desktop versions, that is).

Save your tinfoil hat for other occasions.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Hi guys. I have a tiny rear end monitor and I do big rear end graphics work. My brother has a big rear end monitor he doesn't always use and I borrow it occasionly.

My problem is after I give it back, I always, always find tricky little dialouge boxxes that are lost off screen and I can't rescue them. Most of the worst offenders wont be reset by the program or scripts, and aren't really recognized as windows.

Doesn anyone know of any good desktop manager software that will gather up lost windows or dialogue boxes?

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001
Yeah, I'm running enterprise as I got it for dirt cheap through the local university.

I did enable and open 3389 on my router, as I was experimenting with RDP, which was back around November. Which is when the event log shows the first instance of ID 50 occurring. I figured that it was more likely the case that my machine would've locked me out had anyone successfully got in. Still, the error raised a little alarm for me and I haven't found anything conclusive as to why it occurs at all.

I've since disabled the related services and closed the port on my router. I don't really need it now since I use Logmein (but if anyone knows browser based alternatives, I'm all ears). Thanks guys.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Fearian posted:

Hi guys. I have a tiny rear end monitor and I do big rear end graphics work. My brother has a big rear end monitor he doesn't always use and I borrow it occasionly.

My problem is after I give it back, I always, always find tricky little dialouge boxxes that are lost off screen and I can't rescue them. Most of the worst offenders wont be reset by the program or scripts, and aren't really recognized as windows.

Doesn anyone know of any good desktop manager software that will gather up lost windows or dialogue boxes?

Front and Center! Just remembered this being discussed in a podcast the last couple of weeks

EDIT: VVVVVV Yeah that's another way. If you have Windows 7 you could probably alt+tab (or win+tab)to the window and use win+arrow keys to Aero snap it back onto your monitor. There's also getting to the move window and arrow keys mentioned in the blog post but that way is really annoying.

gariig fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 24, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gariig posted:

Front and Center! Just remembered this being discussed in a podcast the last couple of weeks

Ooh, neat. This would have been really useful for me a few years ago. I was splitting my screen between my laptop display and an external monitor, and every time I undocked some programs would spawn new windows and dialog boxes where my second monitor used to be. Got really good at keyboard shortcuts for moving windows at that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

gariig posted:

EDIT: VVVVVV Yeah that's another way. If you have Windows 7 you could probably alt+tab (or win+tab)to the window and use win+arrow keys to Aero snap it back onto your monitor. There's also getting to the move window and arrow keys mentioned in the blog post but that way is really annoying.

Win+arrow keys and the move window tools where useless as nothing seemed to recognize these rogue dialogues as actual windows...

Except Front and Center! Thanks a ton gariig, I've been looking for something like this that works for weeks! It's very nifty!