Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AzraelNewtype posted:

The price isn't the main issue with this release, sadly.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that in this particular case the pages are laced with anthrax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

The Singing Chav posted:

Whatever Ghibli Blu's get released in the US, I will purchase at some point. You listening, Disney?

I wish they would listen :(

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I recently bought the overpriced Lucky Star blu-ray box since I found one somewhat cheaper in a rural Book-Off and they had a sale going on.

The main series is fully in English, dubbed and subbed. Good quality too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out if/when I would be able to buy Totoro on bluray in the same format as all the other Ghibli bluray releases in Japan. I can see that there's a US release, but is it the case that there just hasn't been a Japanese release yet? Has there been any release information? Because I can't seem to find any....

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but there is no totoro blu ray in the states. From what I can tell it hasn't been released on blu yet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but there is no totoro blu ray in the states. From what I can tell it hasn't been released on blu yet.

Ha, you're right....the Disney release cover is blue at the top and I guess I assumed when looking at it that it was a bluray. I guess I have a while to wait then...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well here's something to look forward to.

More importantly than this, I'd assume a DYRL? transfer cannot be too far behind!!
Does that mean it comes with a copy of "Perfect Memory"?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The complete edition comes with a copy of Perfect Memory. Also a first episode script.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Ha, you're right....the Disney release cover is blue at the top and I guess I assumed when looking at it that it was a bluray. I guess I have a while to wait then...

That got my hopes up too last year, seeing castle in the sky with the blue top right next to nausicaa blu.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guyver posted:

The complete edition comes with a copy of Perfect Memory. Also a first episode script.

Over $500 though. I guess this is the first time I've come face to face with one of these kind of otaku-milking things before where I want it but not at that price.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Guyver posted:

Becareful though, I've been told that it's a shrunk down format to fit the BD box it's going to come in. My friend told me to look at the specs carefully where you can find it listed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Redline is out on DVD/BD tomorrow in the US! Make sure you get it!

Also, make sure you post in the thread in Cinema Discusso so that non-ADTRW types get in on this. Also our own Redline thread.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
HMV has already called me to let me know it's in,, so I will be watching it tomorrow! Can't wait!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just ordered Redline, Cowboy bebop movie, and Girl who leapt through time. Cannot wait to finally watch Girl, after reading everyone in this thread talk about it. Also very excited about Redline.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Redline rules, bebop movie has grown on me since I first watched it (it is pretty tho for sure). Never saw girl!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Star Driver Part 2 Blu-Ray is out and I've ordered my copy as soon as I saw it was region-free, along with part 1.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kingtheninja posted:

Just ordered Redline, Cowboy bebop movie, and Girl who leapt through time. Cannot wait to finally watch Girl, after reading everyone in this thread talk about it. Also very excited about Redline.

TGWLTT is a great movie with fantastic art. I only saw it in dvd quality I think and it'll look fantastic in bluray quality.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GoldenNugget posted:

TGWLTT is a great movie with fantastic art. I only saw it in dvd quality I think and it'll look fantastic in bluray quality.

It does. I bought the Blu-Ray and gave my DVD away to another anime fan.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

TGWLTT is one of those fabled Anime movies for those who don't like Anime. I've used it on a couple of friends to positive results.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Black Stones posted:

It does. I bought the Blu-Ray and gave my DVD away to another anime fan.
The DVD case is pretty snazzy, though. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it (I already have the Blu-ray).

And yeah, TGWLTT is probably my favorite anime film.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

The DVD case is pretty snazzy, though. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it (I already have the Blu-ray).

And yeah, TGWLTT is probably my favorite anime film.

I kept the SE case and I gave the person the Blu-Ray case with the DVD. Haha.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

TGWLTT was loving amazing, finally glad I got to see it.

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone heard plans for a US release for Blue sub no. 6? I wouldn't have a huge issue with importing it, but the cover would make me feel like a pedo for owning it. http://www.yesasia.com/us/blue-submarine-no-6-blu-ray-box-blu-ray-english-dubbed-subtitled-japan/1022449746-0-0-0-en/info.html probably :nws:

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

TGWLTT was loving amazing, finally glad I got to see it.

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone heard plans for a US release for Blue sub no. 6? I wouldn't have a huge issue with importing it, but the cover would make me feel like a pedo for owning it. http://www.yesasia.com/us/blue-submarine-no-6-blu-ray-box-blu-ray-english-dubbed-subtitled-japan/1022449746-0-0-0-en/info.html probably :nws:

It won't happen until Bandai Ent. lets the license lapse, and then maybe someone else will pick it up, since Bandai is basically a slow rotting corpse right now. Until then, an import is the best bet. If you haven't seen sample shots of it before, you'd probably want to take a look at those and see how you feel about the upscale job before importing. I ended up importing the BDs and while I didn't mind how Q-TEC handled it too terribly much, I can see why there are people that utterly despise it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone know why TGWLTT is so expensive on amazon? I figured it's been out for a while and it could easily be nabbed for like $20 or less.... but the lowest it's been on Amazon is 28 bucks. Odd considering Redline launched at 20, and Summer Wars could be had for like 18 bucks at one point.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone know why TGWLTT is so expensive on amazon? I figured it's been out for a while and it could easily be nabbed for like $20 or less.... but the lowest it's been on Amazon is 28 bucks. Odd considering Redline launched at 20, and Summer Wars could be had for like 18 bucks at one point.

1) Bandai Entertainment tends to be more expensive.

2) Get it from Rightstuf, 23$

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are many of the US anime releases region-free and if so, is there a list of which ones anywhere?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No, I know that there are some that's region free, but I believe the good majority of them aren't.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Amazon has some listings up for Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart on BD, but there's no release date just yet. More than likely they're going to be pushed out when Arriety hits shelves.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Amazon has some listings up for Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart on BD, but there's no release date just yet. More than likely they're going to be pushed out when Arriety hits shelves.

THANK loving GOD. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this, but this would be some fantastic news. Kind of surprised they didn't go with howl's instead of whisper, or has howl's not been out long enough for a US release?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

THANK loving GOD. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this, but this would be some fantastic news. Kind of surprised they didn't go with howl's instead of whisper, or has howl's not been out long enough for a US release?

Howl's was 2004, so they probably wanted a more older title and I assume they'll probably push Howl some other time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I meant the blu ray release of howl's, since I think there has to be a certain time period between a JP release and when disney is allowed to release it here.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

I meant the blu ray release of howl's, since I think there has to be a certain time period between a JP release and when disney is allowed to release it here.

Ah, in that case, Howl's was only 4 months after Whisper, but close to a year after Castle in the Sky.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

This first blu-ray is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-in-the-Sky-Blu-ray/dp/B00549I39W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1331647482&sr=8-6

Be wary North Americans...apparently its the U.K. release and according to a reviewer it is region-locked.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

This first blu-ray is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-in-the-Sky-Blu-ray/dp/B00549I39W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1331647482&sr=8-6

Be wary North Americans...apparently its the U.K. release and according to a reviewer it is region-locked.

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Sky-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B007JNTOBC/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331651739&sr=1-14

Yeah, that one you posted wasn't what I was talking about at all, seeing as how it was released in 2011 and all and as you mentioned, an import.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

^^^^^^^^

Oh, my bad. I didn't pull that one up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well they have product images up now, this is really exciting. I'm assuming they'll release with arrietty, whenever that ends up being.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
That's awesome. I guess Disney always did like to release Ghibli titles in waves as opposed to individually, but it's been so long...

I'm afraid this might be the last wave we see for a while, though. I can't see them releasing From Up On Poppy Hill over here theatrically, and I don't know if they'll bother releasing catalogue titles without a new release to prop them up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well there's still howl's moving castle, and tales from earthsea. I can't remember if spirited away is out yet in japan, but I can see disney doing another wave when that becomes available.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's too bad the packaging on those is just so...hideous. Let's cram some more text on there guys!! I'd love to buy the Japanese releases of everything Ghibli, but I'd need to get a second job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

welp, pre-order all three a minute ago. Kinda wish they would less it DVD-less to drop the price a bit tho.

• Locked thread