Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Man, I am forgetting all sorts of important details. :saddowns: I should leave the theorycrafting to people who know what's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Because she has red shoes and Mindfang also had red shoes.

So did Vriska :goleft:

Just sayin'.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Waffnuffly posted:

That and... why would you age as a ghost? Seems more like being a ghost in this universe means you're stuck in a snapshot version of yourself when you died, but since you can still interact with other [dead] people, well, who knows.

Suddenly 50% more Okay with Tavros being dead so he can finally be Peter Pan in his Never Never Land and never grow up.

But also 50% more sad since never growing up and developing in a comic whose central theme is coming of age pretty much ensures a grim fate.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 19, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
So I let the updates sit and stew for a little while and just finished watching the animation.

I don't remember where I've heard that song before (I swear I have), but it's loving awesome.

I assume we've just met Vriska's ancestor?

Actually, wait, hold on, when the ancestors played the game, they scratched their session, right?

So:

1. Troll Ancestors play Sburb. They scratch their game and produce Scratched Alternia.
2. Troll Descendants play Sburb Sgrub. They successfully create Earth.
3. Earth Kids play Sburb. They scratch their game and produce Scratched Earth.
4. Earth Guardians play Sburb. Presumably they successfully create Alternia in order to complete the loop.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lady of the Beech posted:

1. Troll Ancestors play Sburb. They scratch their game and produce Scratched Alternia.
4. Earth Guardians play Sburb. Presumably they successfully create Alternia in order to complete the loop.

This would make Homestuck the biggest shaggy dog story and I really hope it doesn't happen. :( Not everything has to be loops you know! Besides which I'm pretty sure a guy would have to be suicidally depressed to invest three years in that kind of nihilistic ouroboros.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

So I let the updates sit and stew for a little while and just finished watching the animation.

I don't remember where I've heard that song before (I swear I have), but it's loving awesome.

The song is from the Strife! album, it's Time on My Side.

We don't know who that is yet.

--

Is anybody keeping track of the current unanswered questions? There's been such an information dump lately and so many plot points revealed at the change of act that I'm not sure what old unanswered questions are still outstanding.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004

Actually, wait, hold on, when the ancestors played the game, they scratched their session, right?

So:

Ugh, that would make a lot of sense, given that all four of the new characters are identical to / are the guardians of the original four. I've had a hard enough time keeping up with the temporal hijinks, and if it's a circle I'm not sure I'll ever get it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Luegene Cards posted:

Ugh, that would make a lot of sense, given that all four of the new characters are identical to / are the guardians of the original four. I've had a hard enough time keeping up with the temporal hijinks, and if it's a circle I'm not sure I'll ever get it.

Yeah, the fact that the scratch kids are equivalent to the guardians before the scratch is part of the point. And I believe early on it is said that the troll ancestors played the game, then when they scratched their session they traded places with the descendants.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
There's an awful lot of fanart of the trolls in '50s garb. Considering the current theme seems to be fan-stuff being made fun of canon, I'm guessing that's why she's dressed like that.

Whoever she is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another Mobius Double Reacharound wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, since it would mean LE would be effectively trapped. They just need another universe to escape to somewhere mixed in. I doubt that UU is an A1 Troll at the very least, so whatever universe she is in might be outside of this loop.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Another Mobius Double Reacharound wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, since it would mean LE would be effectively trapped. They just need another universe to escape to somewhere mixed in. I doubt that UU is an A1 Troll at the very least, so whatever universe she is in might be outside of this loop.

Yeah, I don't understand where UU fits into the equation. Maybe she doesn't.

EDIT: Although UU is presumably outside of the universe loop, I assume that since she is able to communicate to the Scratched kids that there is still a way to travel there. Hopefully that's not how it works for Lord English.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 19, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Factory Factory posted:

Is anybody keeping track of the current unanswered questions? There's been such an information dump lately and so many plot points revealed at the change of act that I'm not sure what old unanswered questions are still outstanding.

I think the only things still remaining from pre-act 6 are the true purposes of the denizens, (though i have a feeling it will be answered next intermission) and how exactly Grandpa Harley got into the medium.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Jake falls so completely in love with maybe-Mindfang that his sole motivation becomes seeing her again; over the course of the story he discovers she is dead, and in fact died many eons before his species evolved. Now she is trapped in the afterlife and they can never be truly together.

Enraged, Jake embarks on a mad quest to control space and time -- and succeeds, at the expense of his humanity, becoming the dreaded Lord English. And once again, everything happens because of (a version of) Vriska.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

So, uh, what happened to your avatar dude?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Never mind, I finished it.

Like I said before, it's theme for Tavros' Land of Sand and Zephyr. It ends up switching moods a few times throughout, but I'm not sure it's a good thing? It just sorta happened.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

Presumably, the beta Daves that died are still chilling in the afterlife, even though their session was scratched and they did not escape with the alpha kids. What if Mindfang was her game's Time hero? We know there was one, because they did scratch their session, after all. Or I guess it's even possible she just died before the end. Either way, I think this is Mindfang from the scratched session.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You know, if these are the pre-scratch trolls then that means that Hussie introduced/is going to introduce twelve new characters just to kill them off.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

This isn't entirely unlikely, if only because of this quote.

UU posted:

UU: my prospit is an alternate version from yoUrs, in a completely different session qUite far afield of yoUr reality.
UU: if we are ever to meet in person, it is Unlikely to be while playing oUr respective games!

Which, given how these statements tend to go, almost ensures the exact opposite will happen. But then again, I guess we don't have enough information either way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tinaun posted:

I think the only things still remaining from pre-act 6 are the true purposes of the denizens, (though i have a feeling it will be answered next intermission) and how exactly Grandpa Harley got into the medium.
I am still dying to know how PM was exiled, even if it probably isn't very relevant now.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Factory Factory posted:

So, uh, what happened to your avatar dude?

I'm not him, but whatever happened, the result was hilarious.

tinaun posted:

Before the canon titles got released, I expected Jake to get Void. His shenanigans as Grandpa would thus never be explained.

Since he didn't get that, the question seems a lot more likely to get explained now. I still have no actual idea.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm guessing that since pre-Scratch Alternia was peaceful, this new troll follows a version of the Sufferer's philosophy that wasn't pushed underground.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

tinaun posted:

Also how Beta John died, the one that met Vriska in the dream bubbles. Everyone assumed Typheus killed him but Beta John said he wasn't a bad guy at all in the Scratch intermission, or something, and it was left as a mystery why he died. Unless I missed an explanation.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Snollygoster posted:

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

It's Vriska time.
NO DAD! NO!

...Why isn't this fan-art already?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Black Mage Knight posted:

You know, if these are the pre-scratch trolls then that means that Hussie introduced/is going to introduce twelve new characters just to kill them off.

But they are Already Dead!

Which is a pretty efficient way to do things, really. Hussie kills so many characters that it saves time if new ones are already dead when they show up.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Never mind, I finished it.

Like I said before, it's theme for Tavros' Land of Sand and Zephyr. It ends up switching moods a few times throughout, but I'm not sure it's a good thing? It just sorta happened.

This is actually pretty cool. I really like it. It's almost too cool for Tavros' land.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

TOO BAD. VRISKA TIME.
Wrap it up, Vriskailures.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

My crazy theory is that this is UU`s brother.While UU has long horns and likes to write fanfics her brother has short or no horns and cosplays.
One troll for Derse and the other for Prospit.
UU watches skaia clouds while her brother communes with horrorterrors and does "Blackout" stuff.
Both would know allot of details about the figures of legend and would know how to meddle with them for whatever reasons.
It rhymes like poetry.

Well, except that brothers tend to be male. Li'l Mindfang is not male.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Literally Sharks posted:

Well, except that brothers tend to be male. Li'l Mindfang is not male.

Cosplay

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I needed to show this to men and women of discerning taste:

I was listening to "Watch the Throne" and happened to scroll past the Well Manicured Man's avatar, and noticed something. Try this: turn off the volume on [s] Prince of Heart: Rise Up and synch it up Kanye West and Jay-Z's "Niggas in Paris". This is easiest if you have a Mac, where you can hit the "replay" button on the flash and the "play" button on your keyboard simultaneously.

e: new kid foolishness.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 15, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, I know she had a whole successful character arc and her story is mostly done at this point and stuff...but I wouldn't Vriska coming back.

Every team needs the questionable ally who does something awesome at the last second to save the day, because she thought of something that the 100%-nice-guys would never think of. "One Last Double-Cross!!!"

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Don't dreams in the Furthest Ring transcend time? We don't know from what point in time her ghost is, so she could be dead already or not dead yet.

I'm really counting on it being young Mindfang, because she's too different from Vriska.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 20, 2012

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

quote:

TOAST7312 posted:

NO DAD! NO!

Well it sure is now.

VERY COOL MAN fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 20, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

The Fucky posted:

TOAST7312 posted:

Well it sure is now.

If you made that, then I applaud you good sir.

Actually, that too would make a hilarious avatar.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
I did, and if someone eants to use it as an avatar, here:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Anyone getting confused with timeline shenanigans, a brief primer.

Courtesy of Paradox Space, the timeline takes on the aspect of a loop, constantly repeating itself with only slight variations. Occasionally a timeline may take a sharp turn, but this turn itself is incorporated into the aspect of the loop, becoming another factor of repitition. The inhabitants of said variations can communicate with each other but only sparingly. The other rule of paradox space is that every action is its own cause, and as such no matter how many variations come to pass at the end, all timelines ultimately resolve into one cohesive narrative.

For those of you who cannot grasp this shape, a primer has been provided.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 20, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

Anyone getting confused with timeline shenanigans, a brief primer.

Courtesy of Paradox Space, the timeline takes on the aspect of a loop, constantly repeating itself with only slight variations. Occasionally a timeline may take a sharp turn, but this turn itself is incorporated into the aspect of the loop, becoming another factor of repitition. The inhabitants of said variations can communicate with each other but only sparingly. The other rule of paradox space is that every action is its own cause, and as such no matter how many variations come to pass at the end, all timelines ultimately resolve into one cohesive narrative.

For those of you who cannot grasp this shape, a primer has been provided.

"Problem loading page" really is the best possible explanation for the Homestuck timeline

(It actually is giving me 404s)

E: Oh right, the Imageshack thing. Rehost it; that domain gets bungled by the filters on SA.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

The Fucky posted:

I did, and if someone eants to use it as an avatar, here:

I'm totally claiming this now that I have the money. What would be a good title for it? I was thinking:

NO, HUSSIE, NO!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TOAST7312 posted:

I'm totally claiming this now that I have the money. What would be a good title for it? I was thinking:

NO, HUSSIE, NO!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The short hair and the glasses shape make me think there's a bit of Terezi in the genetic mix, just like how the human relatives are combinations of each other.

From what Hussie has said outside the comic, and a few little things like each Troll having an exact matchup with a particular ancestor, the ancestors having hints of their respective Hero of ___ powers and karkat's unique mutation, the Troll ancestors aren't ectobiological children/parents or anything of the Troll Kids, but are in fact exact genetic clones.

As to why this new chick is wearing a Sufferer necklace, I just assume that in the pre-scratch timeline Karkat did something amazing and became a big deal because of it. Doc Scratch said that the kids were figures of legend even when they were in the previous timeline, it also matches up with Karkat's feeling that he always has that he is meant to be a great leader and a Big Deal.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

MrBims posted:

I hadn't even thought of that.
Done and done, and thanks to the both of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Waffnuffly posted:

"Problem loading page" really is the best possible explanation for the Homestuck timeline

(It actually is giving me 404s)

E: Oh right, the Imageshack thing. Rehost it; that domain gets bungled by the filters on SA.

The lengths I'll go to for a quick joke.