Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

IT Guy posted:

You can sideload the Pandora app. You can also proxy/vpn to a US IP, download the app then disconnect the proxy/vpn and you can continue to use Pandora.

This doesn't work with Google Music. The Marketplace identifies my phone as Japanese and won't even let me start the download, even if connected through a VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for viewing sheet music on an Android tablet? I'm currently viewing PDFs in ezPDF, but it's a little slow to turn pages. Is there another format that might be better, or a program that's geared towards this purpose?

To answer my own question: MobileSheets is amazing. Pages turn quicker than any other PDF reader I've tried, and there are lots of great options for musicians - creating link points (repeats, D.S., Coda), bluetooth pedal support, auto-scrolling by line with variable timings. Seriously, this thing kicks rear end.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I thought Mixmuzik was going to work for me, but no dice. The interface is kind of clunky, which I can deal with, but it's doing weird things like playing music when I disconnect my headphones when I wasn't playing music at all before unplugging them, and randomly starting and stopping songs without force-closing or anything. Any other music player suggestions? I'm thinking of trying Google Music or Pandora, since my 8gb SD card is filling up pretty fast. Which is better? Can one shuffle in my crazy Japanese rap music that I'm sure they don't have available for streaming?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

AlexMoron posted:

While we're on the subject of Spotify, is there no way to join that site without a Facebook? I put off signing up for a few months because I didn't really care, but now that I'm curious to see what it's like, it looks like there's absolutely no way to join if you don't have a Facebook. That just seems.. really dumb.
Yeah, you can't use Spotify without Facebook. You also have to keep the Facebook account active at all times because you will be logging in with it.

If you have a real facebook account, watch out if you sign up. Spotify's default settings are set to post every single song you play on your Facebook wall. They're advertising the service that way.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to create a really simple interface for my mum to use on her first Android phone. I'm looking for a simple clock widget with the following featureset:
  • Large clear text.
  • Plain/transparent background.
  • Clicking it does nothing (this is important, it must not load a confusing settings screen or similar).
  • Date display would be a bonus.
Any suggestions?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned in the thread before, but I want to heavily recommend Skifta as a DLNA/UPnP streaming app. I was looking for something that would let me stream video from one android device to another (first world problems) and found this. The interface is good if a bit ugly, but it has a great Just Works™ factor. It also has a Mac and PC client, and with basically no configuration or worry I've got media streaming from phone to tablet, tablet to phone, and Mac to everything. It's really nice!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sarchasm posted:

This doesn't work with Google Music. The Marketplace identifies my phone as Japanese and won't even let me start the download, even if connected through a VPN.

Download the apk and put it straight onto your phone. Then install it from that. You can find it on XDA.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tunga posted:

I'm trying to create a really simple interface for my mum to use on her first Android phone. I'm looking for a simple clock widget with the following featureset:

Stuff

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you want Minimalistic Text. It's a little fiddly to set up, but otherwise great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tunga posted:

• Large clear text.
  • Plain/transparent background.
  • Clicking it does nothing (this is important, it must not load a confusing settings screen or similar).
  • Date display would be a bonus.
Any suggestions?

Make your own clock widget.

You can make your own, up to 4x2 widget, time & date are free, any other bits need the full version. You can set the widget to do nothing on a click as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kerbtree posted:

Sounds like you want Minimalistic Text. It's a little fiddly to set up, but otherwise great.

Or the SiMi stuff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd like a camera app that can take a burst of photos (ability to choose speed a plus) & spit out a gif. I can do that at present with 2 free apps but it's cumbersome. Any suggestions?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
sorted

ante fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 19, 2012

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for a constantly crashing spotify on a Samsung Galaxy S-II Epic 4G Touch WiMax by Sprint? I have about 3 weeks of experience with Android on my HP Touchpad, so I haven't had to deal with anything like this. I know this has been happening since the day she got her phone, and sometimes it reports a force close, other times it just silently closes but still reports as playing. I'm guessing something about clearing some cache or something like that, but I don't know the standard steps. Phone is bone stock.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Mr. Powers posted:

Samsung Galaxy S-II Epic 4G Touch WiMax

Christ Almighty, Samsung :eng99:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Christ Almighty, Samsung :eng99:

The by Sprint is actually part of the phone's name, don't cut such a glorious name short.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

deadwing posted:

The by Sprint is actually part of the phone's name, don't cut such a glorious name short.

I have visions of Street Fighter dancing in my head.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deadwing posted:

I can't stop laughing.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for a constantly crashing spotify on a Samsung Galaxy S-II Epic 4G Touch WiMax by Sprint? I have about 3 weeks of experience with Android on my HP Touchpad, so I haven't had to deal with anything like this. I know this has been happening since the day she got her phone, and sometimes it reports a force close, other times it just silently closes but still reports as playing. I'm guessing something about clearing some cache or something like that, but I don't know the standard steps. Phone is bone stock.

You can probably get some more nuanced troubleshooting from someone else but the IOS version of the Spotify app is a crashy, buggy nightmare as well.

If you suspect that the stock ROM has something to do with it, just flash a stable ROM like MIUI or Cyanogenmod. Samsung is supposedly rolling out ICS for the Galaxy S II on 1 March but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

UncleSmoothie posted:

You can probably get some more nuanced troubleshooting from someone else but the IOS version of the Spotify app is a crashy, buggy nightmare as well.

If you suspect that the stock ROM has something to do with it, just flash a stable ROM like MIUI or Cyanogenmod. Samsung is supposedly rolling out ICS for the Galaxy S II on 1 March but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Given the improved state of the leaks March seems reasonable for the international SGS2. I'll be surprised if the weirdo versions get it any time soon though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

UncleSmoothie posted:

I really don't suspect anything in particular. I haven't had the experience of it being crashy on iOS, but maybe I'm lucky. I don't think I could get away with changing the ROM either.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

nmfnl posted:

Don't know about any alternatives, but its not available in my country either :canada:. I just used this handy guide and it works fine for me. Only restriction is I can't buy music, but everything else is a-ok.

Thanks for the info. I tried that guide but it didn't work, but someone in the comments mentionned using tunnelbear. So I installed that and I could sign up to google music without a problem. Looks really nice so far!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

The Spotify app has been poo poo since an update a couple months ago. If you add a song to a playlist (including starring a song), the app will crash about 95% of the time. If you are just listening to playlists you've already made, or playing songs through the search function, the app will barely ever crash. I'm guessing this is her problem. I'm using an Evo 3D, but I think this problem affects all Android devices.

It pisses me off that I pay them every month and they can't even put out an update for Android. Other platforms have had several updates since the last update for the Android app.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stevie Lee posted:

It pisses me off that I pay them every month and they can't even put out an update for Android. Other platforms have had several updates since the last update for the Android app.
The second Rdio or MOG allows you to play locally added music in their mobile apps I'll switch. I liked Rdio more than I like Spotify but having to switch apps to listen to the Beatles (and the fact that they wouldn't pop up while shuffling) was a dealbreaker for me.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Stevie Lee posted:

The Spotify app has been poo poo since an update a couple months ago. If you add a song to a playlist (including starring a song), the app will crash about 95% of the time. If you are just listening to playlists you've already made, or playing songs through the search function, the app will barely ever crash. I'm guessing this is her problem. I'm using an Evo 3D, but I think this problem affects all Android devices.

it happens when she just launches the app to play a song already on a playlist. I didn't really come across similar reports when I googled it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

The biggest way Spotify pisses me off is that like 80% of the time it insists that I'm offline. NO I'M NOT. Sometimes I can log out and back in and that works, sometimes I have to reinstall the goddamned thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone had any issues with the new Google Voice app? Each time I get a text, it activates...but then sticks around using RAM even after answering and it doesn't close.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using the Nexus S 4G with GV integration but I'd really like for it just to close after texts are answered or just not open at all except for voicemail.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Has anyone had any issues with the new Google Voice app? Each time I get a text, it activates...but then sticks around using RAM even after answering and it doesn't close.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using the Nexus S 4G with GV integration but I'd really like for it just to close after texts are answered or just not open at all except for voicemail.

Two points:

1) This isn't Windows; the app isn't consuming any appreciable amount of resources when it "sticks around using RAM"
2) If you do manage to find a way to continually force it to close, you'll get delayed texts/voicemails as well as decreased battery life as the app keeps trying to restart after it's been killed.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I'm having trouble with my Google maps / navigation app on my Galaxy Nexus. For the first month I had it, when I navigated it would give me a 3/4 overhead view of my arrow / location, and the view would rotate so that the direction of travel is always up. Now, the navigation is a straight up bird's eye view, with north always being up.

I had this issue a few times with my old Droid X as well, and I never figured out how / why it eventually fixed itself. Did I flip a toggle somewhere to change this? How do I change it back?

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

ryan_woody posted:

I'm having trouble with my Google maps / navigation app on my Galaxy Nexus. For the first month I had it, when I navigated it would give me a 3/4 overhead view of my arrow / location, and the view would rotate so that the direction of travel is always up. Now, the navigation is a straight up bird's eye view, with north always being up.

I had this issue a few times with my old Droid X as well, and I never figured out how / why it eventually fixed itself. Did I flip a toggle somewhere to change this? How do I change it back?

Tap the compass/bullseye thingy right below the clock and to the right of the layers button.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Jake Gittes posted:

Tap the compass/bullseye thingy right below the clock and to the right of the layers button.

Holy balls. That was so simple. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Two points:

1) This isn't Windows; the app isn't consuming any appreciable amount of resources when it "sticks around using RAM"
2) If you do manage to find a way to continually force it to close, you'll get delayed texts/voicemails as well as decreased battery life as the app keeps trying to restart after it's been killed.

I didn't think about it trying to restart all the time and I'm a bit too used to how Windows uses up RAM.

Thanks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I didn't think about it trying to restart all the time and I'm a bit too used to how Windows uses up RAM.

Thanks!

Windows uses RAM the same exacty way Android does :ssh:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Penguissimo posted:

Two points:

Windows hasnt used RAM like that since XP.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Windows uses RAM the same exacty way Android does :ssh:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think I need a refresher course on Window RAM usage. I haven't paid much attention since XP.

Still, thanks for clearing it up though!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

You're quite welcome! This is actually a pretty common misconception; I have to thank you for understanding the explanation rather than getting mad at it. (For examples of the latter, see: the entire XDA forums.)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mac user here. I've seen that example used often enough that I figured I'd just parrot it.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Can anyone tell me what a decent Android app is for SSH? Everything I try seems to blow.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

TreFitty posted:

Can anyone tell me what a decent Android app is for SSH? Everything I try seems to blow.

1) What have you tried?
2) what didn't you like about them or what functionality are they all lacking?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Undead Zombie posted:

Yeah, you can't use Spotify without Facebook. You also have to keep the Facebook account active at all times because you will be logging in with it.

If you have a real facebook account, watch out if you sign up. Spotify's default settings are set to post every single song you play on your Facebook wall. They're advertising the service that way.

Holy poo poo, I was jazzed about this last week from the description in this thread, but didn't look into it yet (real busy). This breaks the Paid Services Code; either something's free and coated in adverts, or paid and ad-free. gently caress paying $10 a month for something that does that, I don't care how nice the service itself is.

That's the kind of heads-up it'd be appropriate to have added to the OP for the Spotify thread. :(

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 20, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, I was jazzed about this last week from the description in this thread, but didn't look into it yet (real busy). This breaks the Paid Services Code; either something's free and coated in adverts, or paid and ad-free. gently caress paying $10 a month for something that does that, I don't care how nice the service itself is.

That's the kind of heads-up it'd be appropriate to have added to the OP for the Spotify thread. :(

Huh? You just turn it off. It's not like you're forced to post your songs to Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mediaphage posted:

Huh? You just turn it off. It's not like you're forced to post your songs to Facebook.

The fact that it does this by default is what people are not happy about.

• Locked thread