Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
There should be a way to clear apps off the list, but I'm not sure what it is for the TF101. Before my Transformer Prime was updated to 4.0, there was an X next to the app name, on 4.0 you swipe them to the side to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

GreatKesh posted:

I actually can't see an x on the recently used apps bar that pops up but I found out I can go into settings and delete stuff from memory.

On Android you don't even need to close apps, unless they're actually locked up. With Android, apps won't use background CPU usage/battery power unless they're actually doing something, and any app that isn't actively doing something will be automatically killed by the OS when/if it needs more memory.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Frozen-Solid posted:

On Android you don't even need to close apps, unless they're actually locked up. With Android, apps won't use background CPU usage/battery power unless they're actually doing something, and any app that isn't actively doing something will be automatically killed by the OS when/if it needs more memory.

Ios does pretty much the same thing, but there are times I just want to clear out the recently used apps. I've noticed that ios doesn't remove apps it's killed from the recently used list though.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

TontoCorazon posted:

Is there a reason why this thing is $279.99? because it seems like its too good to be true. I've been thinking about getting the nook tablet but I would spend a little more for a bigger screen.

Sorry for taking so long, but my friend has the original Le Pan tablet that he got for $170 new. He loves it. It actually has good build quality, a great screen (same as the ipad), and great battery life. There are clear drawbacks, like the old OS, low specs, and the screen attracts a lot of fingerprints, but the original Le Pan _was_ a great deal, and online reviews of the Le Pan II seem to indicate that it's along the same lines -- good quality hardware, some drawbacks, great price.

The software support is pretty poo poo though -- Le Pan said they would provide an update for the original tablet to ICS, but now they say that they can't do it "because of Google", and are saying that it's taking longer to update the Le Pan II to ICS "because of Google". Maybe it'll get better in the future, but this is definitely a case of "buy it with no expectations of future updates".

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So I just traded my laptop to my parents for my old gaming rig so I can play Diablo 3. Now I need something I can take to my friends' houses and chill on my bed with. The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus is in my price range and looks pretty. Is it worth the money?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GreatKesh posted:

I've noticed that ios doesn't remove apps it's killed from the recently used list though.

Neither does android.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I just traded my laptop to my parents for my old gaming rig so I can play Diablo 3. Now I need something I can take to my friends' houses and chill on my bed with. The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus is in my price range and looks pretty. Is it worth the money?

No.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My power button has died. I can't put my device into standby, its hosed. Is there anyway to fix this without opening it up or returning it because I'd rather not do either. Google says that they are my only options.

E: I can make it go into standby by not using it for a while and bring it out by plugging it in but thats retarded
E2: I just did a factory reset and that did nothing either

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 19, 2012

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My Linux Rig posted:

No.

Why? A one word answer is useless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GreatKesh posted:

My power button has died. I can't put my device into standby, its hosed. Is there anyway to fix this without opening it up or returning it because I'd rather not do either. Google says that they are my only options.

E: I can make it go into standby by not using it for a while and bring it out by plugging it in but thats retarded
What device?

People lived with broken power buttons on their Nexus Ones for years by using trackball wake and other tricks. Obviously that only works if there is a hardware button you can switch to using.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GreatKesh posted:

E: I can make it go into standby by not using it for a while and bring it out by plugging it in butI thats retarded

You can't fix it without opening the case up, the manufacturer can't fix it unless you send it to them. How else were you expecting to 'fix' it?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

sethsez posted:

You have to keep an eye on the YOSPOS iOS echo chamber so you know who the trolls are.

It's a really nice device with an awesome screen. 4.5 stars on Amazon. If you like that form factor, go for it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I love mine! I got it on Amazon as a lightning deal and haven't looked back. Honeycomb ain't great but it's 3.2 and I've had few issues and 0 big issues as far as the OS goes. The hardware is nice and the Exynos screams.

Ignore the trolls.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sethsez posted:

Have you been reading this thread?

Really, if I were you, I'd just wait for the ipad 3 to be released before you make any tablet purchasing decisions.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The battery update on the prime this week is amazing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Frozen-Solid posted:

The battery update on the prime this week is amazing.

But isn't that showing you haven't actually used it except to take the screenshot?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Don Lapre posted:

But isn't that showing you haven't actually used it except to take the screenshot?
Yea, but even having wifi on all the time and occasional background processes for a whole day use to drain the battery way more that that.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

This is what I want out of a tablet. Something I can leave on, instantly access what I need, and not bother having to shut it down or charge it every single night. Very low idle battery use is awesome.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I'd just wait for the ipad 3

Well I'm shocked.

Truly.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My Linux Rig posted:

Have you been reading this thread?

Really, if I were you, I'd just wait for the ipad 3 to be released before you make any tablet purchasing decisions.

Yes, I have been reading this thread. If the Galaxy Prime 7.0 fits his budget and is the size he wants, what is wrong with it specifically? Or are you just saying "Android sucks" and have nothing to say about that model in particular?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sethsez posted:

Yes, I have been reading this thread. If the Galaxy Prime 7.0 fits his budget and is the size he wants, what is wrong with it specifically? Or are you just saying "Android sucks" and have nothing to say about that model in particular?

That it's likely to prompt price cuts on android tablets that need to compete on price now, at a minimum.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The difference between ICS and Honeycomb is enough that I would not recommend a non-ICS tablet.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

evilweasel posted:

That it's likely to prompt price cuts on android tablets that need to compete on price now, at a minimum.

Pretty much! The price of android tablets are likely to drop when it comes out. But no, I must be a YOSPOS troll cause I dared to mention anything made by Apple.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Pretty much! The price of android tablets are likely to drop when it comes out. But no, I must be a YOSPOS troll cause I dared to mention anything made by Apple.

I stopped trying to decide whether your posts are your normal troll posts or your token content post a long time ago. It doesn't help that your content posts are usually vague and unhelpful enough that they could be considered trolling.

Prices might go down after the iPad hits, honestly I would say ICS is more of a reason to wait than 30 bucks off cause of a new iPad. I can just say I've enjoyed my Tab Plus and can't wait till it gets ICS.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Exactly. Find out what the major competition is going to do then see how your favorite company for tablets will adjust. You guys are taking things too seriously and are trying to avoid the elephant in the room who will literally dictate what the tablet benchmarks will be for the next year.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

This is what I want out of a tablet. Something I can leave on, instantly access what I need, and not bother having to shut it down or charge it every single night. Very low idle battery use is awesome.

There's a tablet out that does this, but mentioning it riles the natives, so I'll simply say to wait for this unnamed tablet's successor before making any Android tablet purchasing decisions.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Toady posted:

There's a tablet out that does this, but mentioning it riles the natives, so I'll simply say to wait for this unnamed tablet's successor before making any Android tablet purchasing decisions.

I'm not going to disparage iOS like some people in this thread, but even if it is the best tablet on the market I could never go back to iOS and Apple. I had an iPhone for a while, and it was great, but I just prefer Android. I'm very tied to Google Apps and the Android ecosystem, and no matter how great the iPad 3 is it won't have the same synergy with my email, music, and apps that I already have with Android.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Toady posted:

It certainly isn't the only one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Buying a tech product between January to May tends to be a bad time. Some stuff launches then, but a good portion of stuff comes out between June to October. So the advice on waiting a bit right now is a good one regardless of which system you want.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm not going to disparage iOS like some people in this thread, but even if it is the best tablet on the market I could never go back to iOS and Apple. I had an iPhone for a while, and it was great, but I just prefer Android. I'm very tied to Google Apps and the Android ecosystem, and no matter how great the iPad 3 is it won't have the same synergy with my email, music, and apps that I already have with Android.

I don't think there is much disparagement of iOS in the thread. They're good devices and anyone who isn't an idiot would agree.
The main problem with the thread is iOS sycophants who get hard at the thought of distracting android users. If you go into the YOSPOS thread it's full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I think the big driver in terms of what hardware people buy is the ecosystem. If you're tied in to iTunes, iCloud and you have Macbooks or Mac Pros, stick with Apple. If you've had a gmail account for years and you like Google Maps and Google Music, etc. and like more choices in hardware and UI, then Android is the way to go.
Do the research and go with whichever platform suits your needs.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think it's more that people are saying to wait for the iPad 3 to see what the Android tablet response is, even if you have no intention of ever getting an iPad.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

zachol posted:

I think it's more that people are saying to wait for the iPad 3 to see what the Android tablet response is, even if you have no intention of ever getting an iPad.

I hope so. With competition, everyone wins.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In any case, if you're looking at the Galaxy Tab 7.0+ in particular, it is also probably worth waiting a little bit to see how the U.S. Galaxy Tab 7.7 fares. It looks like it outclasses the 7.0+ in many ways, but will also cost (quite?) a bit more and may not come out as a wifi model right away. You can hope that the release of a bunch of Tegra 3 tablets and the new iPad will cause a price drop once the 7.7 finally gets here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zachol posted:

Right. Especially if Apple does keep the iPad 2 around and price it at $299 or so as rumored. If that happens, I would have to expect some serious price drops on the Android side. If there's a $300 iPad out there, there is no way even the "top-end" Android tablets can compete at the current prices (Although to be blunt, Android tablets aren't quite steamrolling through the market with the current pricing anyway).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TildeATH posted:

The difference between ICS and Honeycomb is enough that I would not recommend a non-ICS tablet.
The difference being, ICS is not a slow horrible buggy mess.

My advice is, do not purchase any Android device, of any kind, unless it ships with Android 4.0 or later, or a 4.0 update is officially available. Not announced, actually available.

Currently non-Nexus Samsung devices fail that test.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rastor posted:

My advice is, do not purchase any Android device, of any kind, unless it ships with Android 4.0 or later, or a 4.0 update is officially available. Not announced, actually available.

Right. Folks who are stuck with Honeycomb don't realize the pain and suffering they're putting themselves through.

Look, ultimately a tablet, like any other object in a consumer-oriented, capitalist society, is worth what you're willing to pay for it. If you like the form factor and the interface, then whatever you've bought is fine. But I thought Honeycomb was annoying in the most unforgivable ways and I just assumed it was because of the Tegra chipset or because Apple engineers were way ahead of the game with touch. ICS, on the other hand, works like a charm on my phone and my tablet. I never had any experience with pre-3.0 Android, but 2.x all looks pretty crappy to me.

Kind of funny, when you think about it, that the first decent release of Android is the version that starts with an 'i'.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rastor posted:

While Honeycomb isn't exactly the fastest performing thing around I think calling it a 'buggy mess' is a bit unfair.

Maybe its because I jumped in at 3.2 but for me Honeycomb has been exceptionally stable

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rastor posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dissss posted:

While Honeycomb isn't exactly the fastest performing thing around I think calling it a 'buggy mess' is a bit unfair.

Maybe its because I jumped in at 3.2 but for me Honeycomb has been exceptionally stable

My Galaxy Tab 10.1 is still on 3.1 and it's not exactly the greatest. Mine is a Google I/O door prize model and for whatever reason it doesn't get the same OS build as the retail ones - on the upside it does not have Touchwiz but on the downside it has yet to see 3.2 like the retail model did.

I tried flashing one of the CM9 unofficial builds to it just to see how it worked, only to find it gets 1/8 the battery life versus stock and poo poo crashes even more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

My Linux Rig posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

Care to elaborate?