Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

Opening weekend performance here if anyone cares:

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=5&p=.htm

93 screens, I guess it got kind of a limited release over there anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Beserk drinking game: Take a shot every time Caska gets her clothes ripped off.

...Oops you've died of alcohol poisoning.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^That doesn't occur that often.

Also, at this rate, the manga will end in 10 years time.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Ulio posted:

^That doesn't occur that often.

Also, at this rate, the manga will end in 10 years time.

It doesn't happen that often? What manga are you reading and what other manga are you comparing it to? Relatively speaking, it's happened shitloads across the manga.

Also, no, at this rate it'll end in 20 years. Miura has conceded that he's willing to work on Berserk until his 60's if need be.

10 years would be if Miura now starts rushing to the end. A few years ago the story was considered "60-70% complete" by Miura. Now I think at best we could put it at closer to the 70% mark than 60%. Most of that 70% was written at a far faster pace than the current one and it still took 22 years to get this far. Therefore, as Miura works at less than half the pace he used to, it's natural to expect the remaining 30% could also take 20 years.

I would consider a realistic end date for Berserk to be 2030. I don't see any reason to find that annoying or depressing either, as it means you get to have Berserk for most of your adult life. Yay.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 9, 2012

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It definitely happens once every arc, some arcs more often than others but he said specifically Caska, he made it seem it happens every chapter which isn't the case.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yo, missing the point, it's relative. Tell me if you feel that being raped or near-raped like 10-ish times throughout a storyline is common place in fiction, or if anything close to it is.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

93 screens, I guess it got kind of a limited release over there anyway?
For anime? Nah. The Gintama and Gundam 00 movies got around that many. Even in Japan most anime is really niche.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I hope we get the same dubcast so we get more of Griffith's wonderful singing :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Guyver posted:

Even in Japan most anime is really niche.

Yeah I figured as much (I was thinking in terms of comparing it to standard movie releases). Interesting numbers though (a billion for Arrietty, holy poo poo), I'm far more interested in seeing how the Berserk movies do on DVD\Blu-ray there and internationally.

Berserk is such an awesome property, I hope WB promotes it well overseas.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

$500,000 seems like a pretty good opening box office, especially for a movie as bloody as Berserk. That puts it in the middle of those other anime movies, at 50 million yen. It'll probably make a bit more too in the next few weeks. Hopefully the other movies do equally well!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Guyver posted:

For anime? Nah. The Gintama and Gundam 00 movies got around that many. Even in Japan most anime is really niche.

Man, this is kind of depressing. The fact that Redline and Welcome to the Space Show did relatively poorly is a bummer. Hopefully the Berserk movie manages to pick up in ticket sales, but it doesn't look too good at this point. They'll probably recoup most of their costs in DVD/BR sales and merchandising, right?

Also, Arrietty wasn't bad, but I definitely thought it was weaker than Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Where was this graphic from? I think it's be interesting to see how all the Ghibli movies compare.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think it was originally from 4chan. When I remember it existed and looked for it I got it off a Crunchy Roll news article.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also, Arrietty wasn't bad, but I definitely thought it was weaker than Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Where was this graphic from? I think it's be interesting to see how all the Ghibli movies compare.

Probably because it wasn't a Miyazaki film; he wrote it but that's all. It was a good film in its own right. It didn't have the abundance of oddball characters and overwhelming magical atmosphere that a Miyazaki film has, but it was still a good simple fable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ok, the hosts in this video are annoying as poo poo but this has a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes info and a crash course in Berserk, and it's entirely in english:

(linked to the relevant start of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM&t=4m14s

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I edited this together yesterday, Hirasawa's Forces plus clips from the movie.

http://youtu.be/owWxrmQWKvU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice trailer, had all the awesome moments in it, appropriate ending to it. Also, that Zodd scene looks epic.

There is Berserk armor in Capcom's new game Dragon's Dogma.
Would have liked to see The Berserk Armor rather than the Raider armor for Gutts.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, the Berserker armor is better, but pretty much everyone recognizes the Raider armor whereas the Berserker armor is less iconic. Kinda makes sense that they'd go for that. Also :sbahj: this movie looks amazing holy poo poo I need to see this so badly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome Welles posted:

Ok, the hosts in this video are annoying as poo poo but this has a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes info and a crash course in Berserk, and it's entirely in english:

(linked to the relevant start of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM&t=4m14s

Jesus Christ, that host is so painful to hear. So, so painful.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Elentor posted:

Jesus Christ, that host is so painful to hear. So, so painful.

I think we are exaggerating slightly.

Anyway the vid is great, very informative on the production process.

12fps for the 3d though? How the gently caress could they think that was a good idea.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Deathy posted:

12fps for the 3d though? How the gently caress could they think that was a good idea.

I'm not exaggerating, they all sounded horrible. The video is great, yes.

12 FPS for the 3D >IS< a great idea, not just a good one. You know how people complain how disconnect is the 3D from the 2D animation? It would be considerably worse if it was above 12FPS. Traditional animation is usually done at a rate of 12 FPS (which is what they were striving for), while 3D can be rendered in any frame rate, but one of the most common artifacts with the process of integrating the two of them is how obviously different 3D looks once you see it in 24 FPS compared to everything else. It doesn't mix.

There are other issues added on top of that. Your mind will be filling the blanks for the traditional animation, but not for the 3D. The 3D animation is usually too smooth, and you can't make it perfect due to time constraints (specially for a trilogy released in the same year). When you scale it down to 12 FPS, things like micro camera shaking and high-frequency movements can be filled in by your brain. When you have a camera panning flawlessly in 24/30/60 FPS, it can't.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with frame rate debates (like people claiming 60 FPS is bad or looks unnatural). This is an issue of its own. Down-scaling the 3D frame rate to the traditional animation is a great solution.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pyrotoad posted:

I hope we get the same dubcast so we get more of Griffith's wonderful singing :allears:

I think you meant this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlKqeKOLWE&t=90s

Ruh ruh RUH! RuhruhruhRUH! RUHRUHRUHRUH! :haw:

Almost all of the outtakes are superb so I'm really hoping for more period, not just singing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with it. For example when Griffith raises his arm with the sword in it on top of the castle, the body is 3D at 12 fps. But it doesn't look weird at all, makes it look more like traditional animation.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Ulio posted:

There is Berserk armor in Capcom's new game Dragon's Dogma.

Well, I'm glad I chose not to play through Amalur as Guts after all. That would make playing this feel a bit tired, no matter how different the game plays.

...we need more Berserk games. :sigh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with it. For example when Griffith raises his arm with the sword in it on top of the castle, the body is 3D at 12 fps. But it doesn't look weird at all, makes it look more like traditional animation.

Yeah, they talked about it in the video, where his body was essentially done in CGI and a 2D face was drawn on. It's a really simply shot, but the animation looks really impressive.

I've been trying to pay attention to the editing of the film in regards to jumping from CGI to 2D animation and it's pretty cool to see what works and what is a bit odd looking. There's a simple shot of Guts putting on his helmet as Corkus and the other Hawks attempt their ambush that demonstrates how simple actions look great with this technique. (A CGI Guts prepares himself, putting his helmet on, but it cuts to a closeup of Guts face as he finishes putting it on in traditional animation, and the transition is really smooth)

Small details like this end up looking really good and flow well. The initial fight between Guts and Bazuso still looks a little too jerky though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Elentor posted:

I'm not exaggerating, they all sounded horrible. The video is great, yes.

12 FPS for the 3D >IS< a great idea, not just a good one. You know how people complain how disconnect is the 3D from the 2D animation? It would be considerably worse if it was above 12FPS. Traditional animation is usually done at a rate of 12 FPS (which is what they were striving for), while 3D can be rendered in any frame rate, but one of the most common artifacts with the process of integrating the two of them is how obviously different 3D looks once you see it in 24 FPS compared to everything else. It doesn't mix.

There are other issues added on top of that. Your mind will be filling the blanks for the traditional animation, but not for the 3D. The 3D animation is usually too smooth, and you can't make it perfect due to time constraints (specially for a trilogy released in the same year). When you scale it down to 12 FPS, things like micro camera shaking and high-frequency movements can be filled in by your brain. When you have a camera panning flawlessly in 24/30/60 FPS, it can't.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with frame rate debates (like people claiming 60 FPS is bad or looks unnatural). This is an issue of its own. Down-scaling the 3D frame rate to the traditional animation is a great solution.

It may make logical sense, but in scenes where the 3D is far more prominent than the 2D scenes (quite a lot), virtually everything running at 12fps looks like rear end.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Most of the 12fps/3D problems come form a lack of motion blur. Normally one would draw "smear" frames, which have motion trails added, but as far as I can tell (been close to a month since I watched any of these) none of the trailers have any of that. The result is your brain wondering what the hell is wrong with the speed of the movement versus what your eyes are actually seeing.

12fps is also generally considered the bare minimum you can animate something and have it flow at all, and even then it heavily relies on smear frames. Below 12 and it tends to get too jerky. Though in opposition to this anime, or any highly detailed hand-drawn animation really, usually animates on 3s (every 3rd frame of 24, or 8fps) it always has lots of motion blur added in to aid your brain to interpret the missing data if it's any good as far as animation is concerned. It's a trade really since both take lots of time to do and it's a matter of where you focus lies in fluid animation or detailed characters.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
You have a good point there. There seems to be some very light blurring in some of the action scenes we've seen, but that could just be video compression artifacts. Adding simulated motion blur/smear frames would probably make it look a quite a bit better.

Also here's that 327th chapter of Berserk.
No date for the next chapter because that's the way Miura rolls.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

Also here's that 327th chapter of Berserk.
No date for the next chapter because that's the way Miura rolls.

The most significant part of this chapter was the subtitle. Oh god how long is Miura going to cocktease us...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It was a good chapter. Well drawn, as ever. I wish Miura would turn down his perfectionism a bit so he'd get more chapters done often but oh well. It was a splendid chapter regardless.

Assuming they don't go Meanwhile: Griffith-wise after this chapter, we don't have too much in front of us before Elf Island. Hopefully.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care about Griffith at all on his own. Once Griffith got the power of a god to go with his incredible charisma it was a foregone conclusion that he'd get his own kingdom.

Conversely, Guts is great no matter his situation or company.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

It was a good chapter. Well drawn, as ever. I wish Miura would turn down his perfectionism a bit so he'd get more chapters done often but oh well. It was a splendid chapter regardless.

Assuming they don't go Meanwhile: Griffith-wise after this chapter, we don't have too much in front of us before Elf Island. Hopefully.

MEANWHILE, SILAT IS CONFUSED AGAIN.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Decent chapter, I guess next chapter they will be finally out of this place.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
They killed the sea god but did they kill the OCEAN god? See ya in 3 years.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 20, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, it was kind of on the fringe there before, but the the line Guts said about the Moon Kid "seeming like a kid playing around" this chapter and his spectral appearance have got my questioning whether or not this is some kind of freaky three way baby. like, Guts' sperm, Caska's egg, and Griffith's Od or something.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, it was kind of on the fringe there before, but the the line Guts said about the Moon Kid "seeming like a kid playing around" this chapter and his spectral appearance have got my questioning whether or not this is some kind of freaky three way baby. like, Guts' sperm, Caska's egg, and Griffith's Od or something.

Its "astral form" or whatever seems to have hair similar to Griffith's, though I might just be misjudging the style it's drawn in.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I had always assumed that it was the demon fetus in a new form. Which would basically be a 'yes' to what you're suggesting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

U-DO Burger posted:

I had always assumed that it was the demon fetus in a new form. Which would basically be a 'yes' to what you're suggesting.

The demon baby was "used up" for Griffith to reincarnate though, wasn't he?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

We'll find out later this decade won't we?

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm guessing that only the 'demon/Griffith' part of the Guts/Caska+Griffith baby was what got used up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I also got the idea somewhere that the fetus was "corrupted" by Griffith (during the eclipse), so what he used for the rebirth might have been that "corruption". Can't think where that idea came from though.