Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Left Ventricle posted:

I have had issues with Hotmail and Firefox for a couple years now. It just won't load for me. I have to use Internet Explorer for that. Firefox also won't load interactive maps, like Google and Bing. It's probably some obscure setting I inadvertently/unknowingly modified a while ago.

Read the OP. I have an ordered list telling you how to diagnose FF problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Here's one Firefox problem I'd love to know the solution to.

When downloading a big file, it will helpfully tell you, e.g. Downloading Andromadus_Alpha_12.zip 37 or 116MB downloaded.

When that download cuts short, it just acts like it succeeded, and sits there displaying "Andromadus_Alpha_12.zip 97.9MB" like nothing is wrong.

Fortunately I noticed this, but that particular file is a custom ROM I'm about to flash onto my bloody phone. Why can't it tell me the download got cut short?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hotmail still flips the gently caress out even under IEtab.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lum posted:

Fortunately I noticed this, but that particular file is a custom ROM I'm about to flash onto my bloody phone. Why can't it tell me the download got cut short?
I've only seen this happen when the server doesn't tell Firefox the total file size so Firefox has no way of knowing if the download is complete or not.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Alereon posted:

I've only seen this happen when the server doesn't tell Firefox the total file size so Firefox has no way of knowing if the download is complete or not.

It displayed the correct size during downloading.

Has happened to me loads of times, just wound me up enough to post about it today because of what I was downloading.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Fangs404 posted:

I was just commiserating with Im_Special about the Hotmail problems. I don't mind having to use IE for that. Thank you though.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Fangs404 posted:

A suggestion for the OP: Under step 3, where it says to create a new profile, perhaps link to the relevant support article (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Profiles)?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Marinmo posted:

A suggestion for the OP: Under step 3, where it says to create a new profile, perhaps link to the relevant support article (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Profiles)?

Excellent idea.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

Has happened to me loads of times, just wound me up enough to post about it today because of what I was downloading.

I have definitely seen FF do this as well. It's super rare because how often to downloads fail these days? But I can say I've seen it display the proper full-size and subsequent percentage while the file was en route, the transfer dies, and it just shows the file as having downloaded. No indication that it failed.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Lum posted:

That's either a problem with the download server or a hiccup somewhere in your internet connection. It can happen.

I'm using DownThemAll which is quite a nifty download manager.
In this particular case of broken downloads it will warn you that file sizes don't match. After that it let's you try to resume the download.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Marinmo posted:

I'm sorry, I have to correct myself. This is probably a better suited article. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Managing-profiles

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Marinmo posted:

I'm sorry, I have to correct myself. This is probably a better suited article. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Managing-profiles

You're right. Good call.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Knowing how to import and export bookmarks is pretty easy, and importing and exporting saved passwords is easy with the PasswordExporter plug-in.

I don't see what is the big deal for re-doing profiles on a regular (4 or 6 month) basis.

I guess most people just don't know how, and are just still sporting the same upgraded profile since like Firefox 3.0

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think the point is that you shouldn't have to.

I think it's fine as a sort of last resort type of solution, but the frequency with which "just make a new profile" is suggested (and works), it hints at more deeply seeded problems that should try to be addressed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, exactly. Imagine how annoying it would be if every other Windows Update randomly corrupted your profile.

A pretty poor show, not really something to defend Mozilla over.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

People actually make new profiles?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, exactly. Imagine how annoying it would be if every other Windows Update randomly corrupted your profile.

As someone who once looked after NT4 Server/Workstation networks, I remember well how common "Reset the user's profile" was used as a fix for all sorts of poo poo.

This was in the late 90s, hasn't been an issue since Windows 2000.

That said I've never had to reset mine and I've been using this profile since whenever it was Windows 7 came out.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Fortunately, they do seem to be recognizing it's an issue; there actually is a profile fixer on the Firefox roadmap.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How hard would it be to make an extension that allowed middle click to open links in a new window behind the current?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lum posted:

As someone who once looked after NT4 Server/Workstation networks, I remember well how common "Reset the user's profile" was used as a fix for all sorts of poo poo.

This was in the late 90s, hasn't been an issue since Windows 2000.

That said I've never had to reset mine and I've been using this profile since whenever it was Windows 7 came out.

To be fair, I've had problems since then as well, where the quickest solution is deleting the local profile.

But it's nearly always because a user has done something ridiculous, or some crappy software updater has made a right mess of something.

But since I've been deploying 7, I've seen that solution required once, and that was to do with Flash. Somehow Flash had got itself in a total mess, and refused to work properly. Deleting the local profile fixed that, but it's Flash, so I can't really blame Windows.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 20, 2012

brambi
Dec 10, 2007
trapdoor <3

What does this button do anyway?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It suppresses that dialog box in the future and automatically does whatever you picked this time. (For all files of the same extension, in this case .mp3)

brambi
Dec 10, 2007
trapdoor <3

xamphear posted:

It suppresses that dialog box in the future and automatically does whatever you picked this time. (For all files of the same extension, in this case .mp3)

Well that's what I meant, every time I download a MP3 I still get the dialog box(same for other extensions).

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
That's because it isn't based on the file extension but the MIME type presented by the server: http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_and_download_actions#Unable_to_set_an_automatic_action

Unless the websites you run into this problem on fix their servers, it will not work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just started using Waterfox. Is there anything I should be aware of when Firefox is updated? What about extensions? Will updates to them keep between Firefox and Waterfox?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I just started using Waterfox. Is there anything I should be aware of when Firefox is updated? What about extensions? Will updates to them keep between Firefox and Waterfox?

Extensions are the same between them, and stay in your profile which both can use.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Did the latest update remove the ability to add security exceptions for sites with expired certs? wtf?

EDIT: The exception button finally came up but wasn't working until I went to the :permissions for the site and clicked Forget About This Site.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 23, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

AlmightyBob posted:

Did the latest update remove the ability to add security exceptions for sites with expired certs? wtf?

EDIT: The exception button finally came up but wasn't working until I went to the :permissions for the site and clicked Forget About This Site.
Wow that is pretty lovely, I'm complaining about in the Mozilla IRC now and I'll see if there's a bug filed. Full steps to fix:

1. Go to about :permissions.
2. Click on the site name on the left side.
3. Click the "Forget about this site" button in the upper right.
4. Wait for Firefox to clear your data, then restart the browser (restart may not be necessary).
5. Visit the site again, click "I Understand the Risks", then Confirm Security Exception.

You'll have to log back into whatever site it was since your cookies will be cleared.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Firefox 10 for me is always using way to many system resources. I go from opening 4 tabs, to 20, to 30, but it stays at 600mb of usage and 10% of CPU when I go back to 5. I can restart Firefox to start fresh again with resources, but this is extremely annoying.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

AlmightyBob posted:

I talked to the Firefox folks, this is working as intended for sites that use HTTP Strict Transport Security, which lets a site require a secure connection. If the site has STS set, the browser isn't allowed to store a security exception. Apparently forgetting about the site using about :permissions clears the STS flag, and it can't get a new one because it won't connect to the site due to the invalid certificate. Once you save an exception, STS isn't an issue since the browser will happily connect securely. Bottom line: If a site is gonna use STS, it needs to be drat sure their certs never become invalid.

VerySolidSnake posted:

Firefox 10 for me is always using way to many system resources. I go from opening 4 tabs, to 20, to 30, but it stays at 600mb of usage and 10% of CPU when I go back to 5. I can restart Firefox to start fresh again with resources, but this is extremely annoying.
This is usually due to third-party add-ons or extensions, especially those installed by AV programs. Make sure you don't have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/Firewall/Internet Security programs installed; if you do, completely uninstall them and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free, provides excellent protection, and won't slow down your computer or cause system problems. Also, go to Firefox, Add-ons, and disable anything you don't use on the Extensions and Plugins tabs. If that still doesn't fix it, follow the instructions in the OP to make a new profile.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Alereon posted:

I talked to the Firefox folks, this is working as intended for sites that use HTTP Strict Transport Security, which lets a site require a secure connection. If the site has STS set, the browser isn't allowed to store a security exception. Apparently forgetting about the site using about :permissions clears the STS flag, and it can't get a new one because it won't connect to the site due to the invalid certificate. Once you save an exception, STS isn't an issue since the browser will happily connect securely. Bottom line: If a site is gonna use STS, it needs to be drat sure their certs never become invalid.

Huh, well that sucks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm interested in deploying Firefox to a sub-set of the users on my network. What sort of solutions exist for me being able to lock down certain settings and features? Centrally managed would be best, but I'd even be fine with a solution that used registry or file settings on each machine (since I could just automate those via a logon script or something).

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Frontmotion is a good place to start.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Alereon posted:

This is usually due to third-party add-ons or extensions, especially those installed by AV programs. Make sure you don't have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/Firewall/Internet Security programs installed; if you do, completely uninstall them and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free, provides excellent protection, and won't slow down your computer or cause system problems. Also, go to Firefox, Add-ons, and disable anything you don't use on the Extensions and Plugins tabs. If that still doesn't fix it, follow the instructions in the OP to make a new profile.

I've been using Security Essentials, and have only the bare minimum addons installed. I tried using it for awhile with addons disabled and it still spiraled out of control.

I also noticed my laptop's fans revving up a lot. Turns out when viewing the Nivo Slider (javascript slider) on firefox the CPU usage bounces between 4-36%. The exact same page on Chrome bounces up to 16%. And as I use firefox longer and longer that only gets worse.

I'm currently trying out using a new user profile, memory and CPU so far is actually much better. However if I continue to use this new user profile for the next several months with it start slowing down again?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'm currently trying out using a new user profile, memory and CPU so far is actually much better. However if I continue to use this new user profile for the next several months with it start slowing down again?
Note that disabling an add-on or extension won't necessarily be able to fix the damage it caused, which is why making a new profile is suggested. The behavior you saw certainly shouldn't happen, it's not related to how long Firefox has been running with the same profile, but something that was done to Firefox by a program or add-on that was installed.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Crossposting how to sync Firefox bookmarks on Mac with iCloud (Xmarks doesn't work anymore).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Another edition of the Burning Edge is out, spanning 2/17-2/26. This lists the most significant changes that have happened on the trunk (development tree) since the last update. Most notably, Incremental Garbage Collection has landed, which improves the responsiveness of the browser and the fluidity of animations and applets. Another important feature is that Address Space Layout Randomization is now mandatory for add-ons, which will make it more difficult to infect your system with malware via buffer overflow exploits of plug-ins you have installed. The downside is that add-ons that don't support this and aren't updated prior to release will stop working, but the major ones should be updated. This only affects add-ons that ship executable code, such as .dll files. Both of these features will be available in Firefox 13.

Interestingly, some of the worst offenders on the ASLR issue are plug-ins from antivirus programs, which is another reason why you should never use non-Microsoft antivirus programs (use Microsoft Security Essentials instead).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Internaut! posted:

Crossposting how to sync Firefox bookmarks on Mac with iCloud (Xmarks doesn't work anymore).

Why can't you use Sync? :confused:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Everyone uninstall the readability extension it's seriously leaky and improved my firefox out of sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003
Nevermind

Turd Eater fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 6, 2012