Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
For some reason I find the fact that someone babied an early 90s honda with 1500mile/3month oil changes loving hilarious. Those motors would run using sand as a lubricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Bearing #3 would like to have a word with you. :colbert: It's always Bearing #3.

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

Crustashio posted:

For some reason I find the fact that someone babied an early 90s honda with 1500mile/3month oil changes loving hilarious. Those motors would run using sand as a lubricant.

At the rate miles were put on that car, if the seller is being truthful about this the oil was changed every 500 miles.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2834368713.html

Real gold maybe? Or are these total dogs?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I love when people list how high the speedometer goes, like it applies to anything

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

opengl128 posted:

I love when people list how high the speedometer goes, like it applies to anything

Well if it's higher than the factory speedo it's code for "the cluster is from a junkyard and the actual mileage is what the clock says + 200,000 miles".

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I don't know how big you are, but as a 6 foot 270 dude, the 300zx I test drove was a bit cramped. I wanted it real bad, but ended up not getting it mostly because of how claustrophobic the cabin was.

The one I was looking at was in worse condition for more money though and if you don't find the cabin space to be a problem I'd say hop on it, it was a fun little car.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

opengl128 posted:

Well it's an option in some cars.

For example if you see a Dodge Intrepid with a 150 MPH speedo, the car came with (or had a cluster swap from) the police car package.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Micromancer posted:

I don't know how big you are, but as a 6 foot 270 dude, the 300zx I test drove was a bit cramped. I wanted it real bad, but ended up not getting it mostly because of how claustrophobic the cabin was.

The one I was looking at was in worse condition for more money though and if you don't find the cabin space to be a problem I'd say hop on it, it was a fun little car.

6'3-4" 230 with a 36 inch inseam :ohdear:

e: I think I'm going to take a buddy with me who knows a bunch about cars and check this thing out this weekend. If I fit in it and it's mechanically sound, the price is right in my wheelhouse.

rscott fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 17, 2012

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

Gumtree is all kinds of awesome.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

rscott posted:

Whenever a car is listed on Craigslist without the mileage I just assume its way over 200,000.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z31s are very rust prone. If you seriously look at it, pull out the tool kit under the hatch carpet. Even if it looks fine elsewhere, they're notorious for letting water in around the tail lights and it'll fester/rust away under the carpet.

Also, AFAIK they never came without PS (280s did though) and they're also well known for steering rack issues. My guess is it probably took out the pump with debris or low/no fluid so expect to have to do that too.

They're also total dogs non turbo and not especially good handlers either. They're pretty heavy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Every time Z31 rust gets mentioned, you know I gotta pull out this picture.

That's daylight. It started in the hatch and it looked great until we pulled the carpets. The car drove into that garage under its own power.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whenever a car is listed on Craigslist without the mileage I just assume its way over 200,000.

When I look at 5 digit odometers I pretty much do the same thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z31 you say?
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Nissan-300ZX-Coupe-TURBO-RUNS-ALWSOME-W0QQAdIdZ355829660

quote:

HELLO I WANNA SELL MY CAR TODAY WOULD BE GREAT I HAVE A 1987 NISSAN 300ZX IT IS IN NEAR MINT CONDISHEN ALL IT NEEDS IS A PASENGER FENDER AND ALSO NEEDS A DRIVER WINDO AND SOME KIDS THROW ROCKS AT THE WINDSHEILD SO IT WILL NEED A NEW ONE TO I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE LOTS OF WORK BUT TRUST ME ITS REALLY EASY THERE IS ONE IN PICK N PULL U CAN GO GET ALL THE PARTS U NEED FOR IT THE CAR ALSO HAS T-TOPS AND IT HAS SEATS IN THE BACK IT NEEDS A FENDER BECAUSE A GUY FIT THE FRONT OF THE CAR NO DAMIG TO IT BESIDES THE FENDER THE FENDER IS READY TO COME OFF I HAVE 3 SCREWS HOLDING IT ON PLEASE SEND ME A EMAIL ASAP THE PIC WITCH IS UP IS TO SHOW U THE COLOR IT IS THE SAME LIKE MY CAR HAS NO RUST THE ONLY DIFFRENT IS THE RIMS EMAIL ME I CHECK EVERY LITTLE BIT WILL ALSO LOOK AT TRADES

Won't bother with a screen grab because it's just a generic but more or less mint 1987-88 Z31.

I also give it 50/50 it's a troll.
Edit: 90/10

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 18, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Z31 you say?
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Nissan-300ZX-Coupe-TURBO-RUNS-ALWSOME-W0QQAdIdZ355829660

Won't bother with a screen grab because it's just a generic but more or less mint 1987-88 Z31.

I also give it 50/50 it's a troll.
Edit: 90/10
Looks like the image came from someone else; Google reverse image search turned up this among others.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In his defense, he said the pic wasn't his just for color.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, I understand now. Initially that part of it just blurred into the wall of text.

Same dude is parodying truck ads too:

e: vvv It is the same guy. You can click a link on any ad to see other ads posted by that person.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 18, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:10bux: its the same guy

^^ Hah. I read it last night as "some" dude not "same" dude. Sorry! :)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 18, 2012

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

rscott posted:

Mine has been nothing but fun since I've had it but it was rust free and had one bent valve for $1100 so you can get more for less and likely with lower mileage too. It is down on power though, the NA version was rated at 160hp from the factory which is a little disappointing. If I could do it over again I'd start with a turbo model in good condition.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Every time Z31 rust gets mentioned, you know I gotta pull out this picture.

See? The Z31 even knows that it's a heavy car and it's trying to help lose some of that weight. :unsmith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Somebody's mad that they suck at negotiating.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

1995 VW Passat GLX VR6 5-speed

My buddy said that those cars are garbage and the VR6 of that year has all kinds of problems. But he also thinks any car that isn't a brand new Audi is a priece of poo poo, so I don't really trust him. My pops is looking for a cheap car, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I would avoid that car, they do have a lot of problems and if the timing chains have never been done its a huge time or financial expense to replace them.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My buddy said that those cars are garbage and the VR6 of that year has all kinds of problems. But he also thinks any car that isn't a brand new Audi is a priece of poo poo, so I don't really trust him. My pops is looking for a cheap car, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

Run away....That car is a giant black hole that no money can escape from.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

Run away....That car is a giant black hole that no money can escape from.

Can't help but remember that lady selling that 1996 VR6 Jetta in Tampa for 30k. I'm sure it has been beaten to death, but if you haven't seen it, it makes for a humorous read.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f67/person-goes-batsh%24t-crazy-over-%2430k-jetta-239677/

I almost believe that she spent 20k in "restoring it"....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just needs a lil bit to get running.
Don't ask, I tried everything and it won't spark.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Just needs a lil bit to get running.
Don't ask, I tried everything and it won't spark.

$3,600 for a car that hasn't run in 12 years sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I had one pretty similar to that one (same color even) only it had the anemic euro-only 1.8 8V (90 furious german horses bred and raised in Wolfsburg.)

It ate various sensors every which way, had to replace the entire dash mainboard and mufflers were consumables. It was also loud as gently caress at highway speeds. Oh, and blower resistor packs, but that's how you know it's a VW.

It did, however, have the most interior room of pretty much any car I've ever driven, and it did survive three teenage boys learning how to drive stick in it, and had 273kkm when I finally sold it.

It doesn't have to be a bad car, but for the money you could probably do much better, especially because parts for these aren't as cheap and plentyful in the US.

Edit: I'm getting all Stockholm syndrome now. It has a 70 liter tank, so filling it up all the way get expensive these days. Also, you can flip up the rear bench seat before you lay the rear seatbacks flat, and it'll make the floor completely flat (although that's more useful in the wagon.)

Edit2: It also fits about a thousand cans of beer and one driver.

bolind fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 20, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ripoff posted:

$3,600 for a car that hasn't run in 12 years sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

It keeps the mileage down don't it!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys. My dad said he doesn't want to drive a stick anymore because his knee is hosed up anyways. And I know he'd prefer to have a big boat like his Crown Vic.

On another note, I was looking for an S10 4x4 5-speed in my area for WEEKS. I finally gave up and took out a car loan. Yesterday I saw three different S10 4x4 5-speeds on Craigslist in my area. I cried.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Since the guy selling the 300zx never got back to me tell me about owning a 3rd gen Prelude!

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2836681553.html

What should I be looking for on one of these? I got into contact with the guy, he said he hasn't owned the car for every long and doesn't have any service records for it and "just a small amount of rust starting to show over the rear wheels".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rscott posted:

I got into contact with the guy, he said he hasn't owned the car for every long and doesn't have any service records for it

I'm not sure how this isn't telling you to just walk away from a poo poo common car being offered at well above market price.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know where you live but Prelude Si's aren't exactly common as dirt around here for that price.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No rust, 1650
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/2861577035.html

Beat up but still, no rust, 750
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/2856758143.html

1200 for a turn key. the dryer hose intake is suspect though. :v:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/2809231697.html

It might be worth the effort to look someplace that isn't Wichita.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No rust, 1650

I don't think I'm going to drive 14 hours for a $1500 car, that seems to be rather counterproductive...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rscott posted:

I don't know where you live but Prelude Si's aren't exactly common as dirt around here for that price.

Northeast. Near Philly.

Street price (not asking) on a runner with rust (of course, I said NE), that kind of mileage (note that the ad said not just 190k, but 190k ON MOTOR) and no maintenance records is 2/3 of that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rscott posted:

I don't think I'm going to drive 14 hours for a $1500 car, that seems to be rather counterproductive...

I'm just saying that maybe Wichita isn't the best place to buy beaters. I'm picked up plenty of rust free good deals from Texas.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
In new england I've seen non running preludes go for 1500 on craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No rust, 1650

First one's been deleted. Second one's an '87, which is a 2nd gen. Much harder to find parts for, and a very small online community. Third one's a '90, which will probably have the B21A1. The B21A1 is a piece of poo poo - the gist of it is that the cylinder linings are a much harder material than the piston rings, which causes the rings to wear quickly and the motor to burn oil.

These aren't all that common anymore - the newest 3rd gen is going to be a '91, which was over 20 years ago now. These cars are pretty rust prone (like all 80s Hondas) so there are not many survivors, especially in rust states.

$1500 is a bit high though, you could do better than that if you looked around (although I don't know what the market in your area is like). I paid $600 (if I'm remembering right, it was a few years ago) and drove it home. Pic for reference:

Mine had ~117k on it when I got it. Came with a few dings, needed an exhaust installed (was in the trunk) and had some badly done rust repair by the fuel door. Also, it's an automatic non-4WS so it wasn't the most desirable version.

88 - 89 are good years. The B20A5 is a reliable, stout motor as long as the timing belt is kept up on. This motor also takes very well to boost. These cars are very prone to rusting above the rear wheels (especially by the fuel door). By today's standards, they are a bit thirsty for a lightweight NA 4-cyl though. Make sure the timing belt has been done - if not (or if unknown), do this ASAP, as a snapped belt will almost always necessitate an engine rebuild. Look for a 4WS if you can find one. Avoid the "S" models - these are generally stripper models with a dual-carb SOHC B20A3 motor. This motor is anemic and hard to find DIY information on, and the carbs are a pain in the rear end. Main relay issues are common. If someone's selling one cheap because it "won't start when it's hot out" jump on it, because that's almost certainly the culprit, and you can usually fix it yourself for free in 10 minutes with a soldering iron.

You may want to check out https://www.preludepower.com classifieds if you really want one of these. Good deals pop up all the time.