Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
:(

Fought this past saturday in Cleveland for the NAAFS. got TKO'd after I slipped early in the 1st round after throwing a kick. Opponent let me get half up then drilled me hard and kept swarming me before I could recover.

gently caress that sucks.

5-2 now. I guess there'll be a video up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ligur posted:

Tell him you are often busy at work. He won't say a thing either way, he'll appreciate the fact that even if you can't make it for a week or two you just don't flat out quit instantly.

Most instructors understand people have this thing called "life" outside of the gym. It involves getting a nasty case of flu with sinusitis and eating antibiotics for weeks, hurting your knee when you fall off a bike, getting sent to three week work commands, the kids getting sick, vacations and whatever.

I'm pretty sure I'm more right than wrong when I say most instructors hope especially new people don't let this get into their heads and instead suck up missing the classes and then come back, maybe a little behind but whatever, they have their whole life - usually decades - to catch up.

One of the worst things I know is someone coming to a new class or course for a couple of times or a month or two, then having to take a break because Life... and then not having the courage to come back because he or she is afraid people will give you poo poo over it. Why would they? Exactly the opposite.

Missing time and still coming back shows you have some character.

Sounds good then. Dunno if they'll be open tomorrow since it's a holiday of some sort, but if so I'll go stop by.

So last chance for anyone else wanting to talk me out of taking Jeet Kune Do. :P

Oh, one other thing I keep forgetting to ask. This dojo only has 3 days a week worth of training for beginners. Is that too few days or what?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

3x/week is just fine if you're just starting out or want to keep the illusion of having a social life for a little while longer. You can always pad it with advanced classes or a second MA later on.

Or just start lifting on your off days.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So there's a judo and sambo tournament on in about 3 weeks and I asked one of the guys at Judo if I should go and watch and he said he's competing and I should to (in the sambo). I said I hadn't done striking for years and he said it doesn't matter, he just grapples the gently caress out of em and don't bother with striking other than defense. I really want to do it seeing as I missed out on my last judo comp. Is this a good idea to get some comp exp under my belt even though its a whole different world? Or am I just going to get knocked the gently caress out trying to clinch up with these sambo guys?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
3 x technique classes a week is absolutely fine. For beginners 2 x week (and hopefully some cardio or lifting in addition) is enough to go forward.

When you start getting into stuff and know the basics, 2 x week is maintenance level, and you more or less need 3 x to advance faster than a snails pace. But for now
worry about training technique more than three times a week much later.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh, one other thing I keep forgetting to ask. This dojo only has 3 days a week worth of training for beginners. Is that too few days or what?

I trained 1 day a week for a year or two before I went to 2-3 times and nowadays I'm doing between 3 and 5 classes of MA per week (usually closer to 3) and I'm doing just fine. 3 classes a week is way more than the usual casual martial artist puts in. As a begginer, you might even be better off with "only" 2-3 classes a week and complement that with some lifting or cardio so you get in good shape and also don't get bored with the training

Nierbo posted:

So there's a judo and sambo tournament on in about 3 weeks and I asked one of the guys at Judo if I should go and watch and he said he's competing and I should to (in the sambo). I said I hadn't done striking for years and he said it doesn't matter, he just grapples the gently caress out of em and don't bother with striking other than defense. I really want to do it seeing as I missed out on my last judo comp. Is this a good idea to get some comp exp under my belt even though its a whole different world? Or am I just going to get knocked the gently caress out trying to clinch up with these sambo guys?

You're gonna be matched with super begginers right? If so I'd do it if you're not too afraid of getting punched in the face. I've done 2 comp yet and you learn a lot even when you get destroyed. I'd really enjoy trying a sambo fight if only for the experience.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 20, 2012

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Hey guys, I am thinking about stepping into the world of martial arts as I am starting to get bored of just weight lifting and running, and looking to add something with a more competitive/technical edge. I would like to do the normal MMA split of Muay Thai and BJJ, so I found this gym that is pretty close to me http://www.unit2fitness.com/

I'm pretty certain the place is legit, but I just wanted to run it by you guys before I check it out and do a trial.

I have a little experience in boxing, but that was just through a short term school training course that ran over 3 months. I also had scoliosis surgery about 8 years ago, but I generally have no issues with my back health (I dead lift 365 lbs and squat 285 lbs) other than less flexibility in my lower back due to a spinal fusion. Will this be a problem for BJJ or MT?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Hey Thoguh:

The backs of my hands are getting pretty cut up and raw from so much rubbing against gi's. Any tips/methods for keeping this under control?

Not a whole lot you can do. Just tape them up for now and wait for the skin to thicken up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Not a whole lot you can do. Just tape them up for now and wait for the skin to thicken up.

That's what I used to do. Same for your foots and mat burns. Tape until it's not completely raw anymore then let your hands become covered in callouses!

Antinumeric posted:

Watching judo with no real knowledge is awesome, I have no idea who has the upper hand and then someone gets thrown out of no-where.

Sometime that's how it feels even when you're fighting yourself :v: but more seriously watch the grips and who's straight. You could see that white had an advantage because he had a very powerful grip (upper back + sleeve close to the wrist) and he was able to keep the other guy bent.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 20, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Optimus Subprime posted:

Hey guys, I am thinking about stepping into the world of martial arts as I am starting to get bored of just weight lifting and running, and looking to add something with a more competitive/technical edge. I would like to do the normal MMA split of Muay Thai and BJJ, so I found this gym that is pretty close to me http://www.unit2fitness.com/

I'm pretty certain the place is legit, but I just wanted to run it by you guys before I check it out and do a trial.

Brief examination of their philosophy and class descriptions make it seem legit, yeah. You should explain your condition to the instructors and pay some attention to it as you get started.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Optimus Subprime posted:

I have a little experience in boxing, but that was just through a short term school training course that ran over 3 months. I also had scoliosis surgery about 8 years ago, but I generally have no issues with my back health (I dead lift 365 lbs and squat 285 lbs) other than less flexibility in my lower back due to a spinal fusion. Will this be a problem for BJJ or MT?

you should be okay, if you're cleared for heavy lifting then bjj Muay thai should be fine. Just don't hurt yourself trying to push too hard and some techniques might be harder for you than others in the class.

The school looks legit but you need to get yourself into some of that Capoeria if you want to be a true martial arts badass.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

One thing I do for any bad mat burns is use liquid bandage. I put that on there first so it makes a nice seal then use an appropriate sized band aid over the area followed by sports tape. Gives it good cushion and protects it from bad friction. Then when you get home you can easily remove that combo and place neosporin or whatever on it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This is why it's important to stay stable and grounded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fPUGDjR7suI!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

You're gonna be matched with super begginers right? If so I'd do it if you're not too afraid of getting punched in the face. I've done 2 comp yet and you learn a lot even when you get destroyed. I'd really enjoy trying a sambo fight if only for the experience.

Yeah, they'll be novices like me. Sambo novices though, not Judo. Basically what I was wondering is; is the striking of someone that has been doing Sambo for 1-2 years going to be crazy impressive?

e: gently caress it, I'll just do it. WCS: I get knocked the gently caress out in a hilarious fashion and we all get a laugh. BCS: I get a trip and and a sub and some comp exp.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 20, 2012

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any [sport/Olympic] fencers floating around here? I'm a sabreur myself. I suspect there's not too many cause they, like myself, really do think of it as a martial art and just consider it a sport.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I fenced for five years in high school. All three weapons, but I was best at sabre, competed nationally in it. National level competition for a teenager, anyway, which is not as impressive as it sounds. It was fun, but I couldn't afford all the expensive and regularly breaking equipment after I left school, and everybody who did it was training to get into the olympics, and there weren't many people who just did it for fun, which killed it for me.

I don't know if it really counts as a martial art, but then, there are plenty of martial arts that I don't really consider martial arts, so I wouldn't worry about it. This thread's fine for it. I don't see why it's any different to something like Kendo, which is based on an ancient system of weapon combat but is too far removed by rules to represent believable combat anymore, fencing's basically the same thing, so it seems a stretch for people to call one a martial art and the other a sport.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Anyone familiar with IBJJF rules? Their rules state no shirts underneath a gi, but do they mean t-shirts only, or are rashguards forbidden as well?

e: VVVVVVV thanks.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 21, 2012

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

Anyone familiar with IBJJF rules? Their rules state no shirts underneath a gi, but do they mean t-shirts only, or are rashguards forbidden as well?

Guys can't wear anything under the gi top.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Nierbo posted:

Yeah, they'll be novices like me. Sambo novices though, not Judo. Basically what I was wondering is; is the striking of someone that has been doing Sambo for 1-2 years going to be crazy impressive?

e: gently caress it, I'll just do it. WCS: I get knocked the gently caress out in a hilarious fashion and we all get a laugh. BCS: I get a trip and and a sub and some comp exp.

Be prepared for ridiculous strength-based techniques. I think a lot of sambo relies on a person physically overpowering their opponent into throws which might come as a shock to a judo player.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

Be prepared for ridiculous strength-based techniques. I think a lot of sambo relies on a person physically overpowering their opponent into throws which might come as a shock to a judo player.

You have any examples of "ridiculous strength-based techniques"?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Kumo Jr. posted:

Won't weight classes basically mean we're all somewhat on the same level?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Motherfucker! I tried to jump rope today and it was like someone stabbing knives into my shins and calves. What the hell? I usually switch the position of my feet every step and keep my knees bent but gently caress, I'm unhappy.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 21, 2012

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

dokomoy posted:

Sorry, I guess I should be more clear. I meant 'ridiculous' in a good way, like, holy poo poo that guy just mauled me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTykOG_Ax0

The third throw that fedor uses is a good example of what I mean. It might be weird for a judo player that thinks more about manipulating momentum, than just using HULK SMASH!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

dokomoy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoqoIwe4QB4

more awesome russian judo here. It's like regular judo but with a lot of focus on power.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Kumo Jr. posted:

Sorry, I guess I should be more clear. I meant 'ridiculous' in a good way, like, holy poo poo that guy just mauled me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTykOG_Ax0

The third throw that fedor uses is a good example of what I mean. It might be weird for a judo player that thinks more about manipulating momentum, than just using HULK SMASH!

I dunno dude, those kinds of throws are pretty common in judo. I saw a te-guruma, tomoe-nage, ura-nage, and harai-goshi. Fedor competed in Judo, and was a fairly high level player AFAIK.

The 'manipulating momentum' line that is often repeated is just a part of throwing. Exploiting posture is another way to think about it, and more accurate IMHO.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

swmmrmanshen posted:

I dunno dude, those kinds of throws are pretty common in judo. I saw a te-guruma, tomoe-nage, ura-nage, and harai-goshi. Fedor competed in Judo, and was a fairly high level player AFAIK.

The 'manipulating momentum' line that is often repeated is just a part of throwing. Exploiting posture is another way to think about it, and more accurate IMHO.

I don't do judo or sambo, so take my point with a grain of salt. I was just comparing the explosive power of sambo to a more 'gentle art' of judo. I'm sure there are judo players that use sambo techniques as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
high level judo is pretty darn explosive too.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
ITT trained athletes who can kill a man with their bare hands unable to jump rope

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I train MA just so I never get on video looking like this:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

ITT trained athletes who can kill a man with their bare hands unable to jump rope

i whip myself with the jump rope on purpose. it develops pain tolerance

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I train MA just so I never get on video looking like this:

Every man thinks they can hulk out and dominate in a fight if the situation arises. Then the situation arises, and this happens.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Meat Recital posted:

I jump about 3 hours a week and I think I got shin splints from it :(

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

At least zidane used his header skills to avoid looking retarded trying to fight someone.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Russian Judo is definitely a distinct "style" of Judo. This is due in large part to the fact that lots of the early Russian Judoka were really just Sambo players or Greco-Roman Wrestlers who were stuck in a Gi. They are still doing the same techniques, but the focus is much more on power rather than technique. And before the IJF got all pissy the style also had a very heavy emphasis on pick-ups and shots.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mewse posted:

i whip myself with the jump rope on purpose. it develops pain tolerance

Wait, is this a serious post? Why would you do that?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I fenced for five years in high school. All three weapons, but I was best at sabre, competed nationally in it. National level competition for a teenager, anyway, which is not as impressive as it sounds. It was fun, but I couldn't afford all the expensive and regularly breaking equipment after I left school, and everybody who did it was training to get into the olympics, and there weren't many people who just did it for fun, which killed it for me.

Eh, I can picture what you mean, and I still think it's somewhat impressive (I'm assuming SYC's, JO's, or NAC's), especially if you won a DE or two. And I can dig the whole "Olympics" thing, I understand that some clubs set their sights on the very upper echelons of competition. Cause if your city only has that one club, well you're poo poo out of luck for a more relaxed, "hey, let's grab a pint when we're done" kind of club.

quote:

I don't know if it really counts as a martial art, but then, there are plenty of martial arts that I don't really consider martial arts, so I wouldn't worry about it. This thread's fine for it. I don't see why it's any different to something like Kendo, which is based on an ancient system of weapon combat but is too far removed by rules to represent believable combat anymore, fencing's basically the same thing, so it seems a stretch for people to call one a martial art and the other a sport.

True, and I'll check my Kendo jokes at the door. But for fencing, all I'm doing is making a light go off by opening (in sabre) or closing (foil and epee) an electrical circuit, and, if it's a conventional (also known as "Right of Way") weapon, making sure the ref knows that my action was "correct." Seems a touch different than the Judo/BJJ that ,ost of the goons here have been discussing recently.

There's also how I'm bothered that my new sabreurs (never defined this, it's someone who fences sabre and is French) are hitting too hard. This, intuitively, wouldn't seem to be a problem for most of the MA'ists here.

I'll throw it out there that if y'all have questions, I have answers (on [sport] fencing).

Also, I'm curious; how, in competitions or matches, are graded/rated/won for MA's like Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai? Is a pin-/ring/tap-out system, like Greco-Roman wrestling, or is there a grading by a panel of judges, like boxing?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Don't feel bad, I can't think of any other thread that Fencing discussion would fit into better.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, I'm curious; how, in competitions or matches, are graded/rated/won for MA's like Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai? Is a pin-/ring/tap-out system, like Greco-Roman wrestling, or is there a grading by a panel of judges, like boxing?

Tap, snap, or nap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BirdOfPlay posted:

There's also how I'm bothered that my new sabreurs (never defined this, it's someone who fences sabre and is French) are hitting too hard. This, intuitively, wouldn't seem to be a problem for most of the MA'ists here.

In competition, I guess there's no limit to how hard you can hit. There's probably a gap between one's maximum and how hard one needs to be hit to be effective.

In training/sparring, people go too hard all the time. It can be counterproductive to developing good pacing and technique.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kimbo305 posted:

In competition, I guess there's no limit to how hard you can hit. There's probably a gap between one's maximum and how hard one needs to be hit to be effective.

In training/sparring, people go too hard all the time. It can be counterproductive to developing good pacing and technique.

That, I can dig. For comps, it makes sense if you want to break through an opponents weak parry (only for sabre though...).

And as far as teaching newbies, one of my two points is how it shows lack of control and technique, like swinging from the shoulder/elbow/wrist instead of the wrist. The other is that it hurts.

And thanks Thoguh, I had debated about a new thread, but I'm a little timid about making new friends, with the mods and admins. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hello fencer dude. I train in Savate (amongst other things) sometimes called the elegant art of fencing with the feet and the fists (but mostly with the feet). We do a lot of light contact sparring so I, too, can feel the going-too-hard part. In our light contact the idea is to touch your opponent - and not have him touch you. Probably sounds familiar?

In assaut sparring or competition you can hit as fast as you can as many times as you can during a round (usually 3 x 2 minute rounds, judged more or less like kickboxing) as long as you control your strikes well and end up merely tapping the guy. This is supposed to showcase your excellent technique and control and sure enough, the people who go too hard are always new, or tired, or are getting their rear end whooped by multiple light touches. (Or those who train for full contact fights but THEN IT'S KINDA OK.)

Savate even has three different stages of contact in competition, assaut, which is the light contact one meaning you are not allowed to KO or stop your opponent by damaging him, semi-combat which is full contact with gear and finally combat which is the king, full contact with mouthguard, cup and shoes. The full contact savateurs easily go through hundreds of assaut fights before their first full contact fight. Very few striking martial arts have this aspect.

Of course after that there's no looking back, the whole idea of the semi-contact training and fighting is to eventually prepare you for the real stuff.

• Locked thread