Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

It's about time for a two week city face break, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy loving hell poo poo just got real!

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.

Pardot posted:

It's about time for a two week city face break, isn't it?

Well that was the end of the chapter! :argh:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My only response for today's comic is "OH SNAP!"

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Ironic Twist posted:

Who gives a poo poo?
Hey man, some people like to theorycraft with only the smallest clues. :saddowns: Like me. With this. :saddowns: :saddowns: :saddowns:

I saw the static speech bubble and immediatly thought, 'Holy poo poo, he's connected to Zimmy's condition somehow.'

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=294

The key word was "hear", indeed.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
So who expected this to drop at the end of a comic relief chapter? Not me, that's for sure. Oh man, Wednesday has never felt further away.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hammer Backspace posted:

So who expected this to drop at the end of a comic relief chapter? Not me, that's for sure. Oh man, Wednesday has never felt further away.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Wednesday's going to have the stringer gag, and Friday will have the cover of the next chapter, which will properly begin next Monday.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Wednesday's going to have the stringer gag, and Friday will have the cover of the next chapter, which will properly begin next Monday.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it begins with Annie saying something like "It's a good thing my father explained everything to me!" :downs:. Just like the solution to the mystery of Jones!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Haha, is Jones' phone running Android? :haw:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kojiro posted:

Haha, is Jones' phone running Android? :haw:

No. Generic dumbphone. But that would've been a good joke.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Vile posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=294

The key word was "hear", indeed.

Wait, hasn't it only been a year and a bit since that point? Antimony's in third year now, right? Or am I misremembering?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leovinus posted:

Wait, hasn't it only been a year and a bit since that point? Antimony's in third year now, right? Or am I misremembering?

I think so, yeah. Shush.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, it still hasn't been over two years, but I'm not complaining. I've been waiting for this since 2007.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I don't think that Tea-San would make a fuckup like that. I'm betting this is a fake out and it's going the be her uncle, or some other close relation.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Hmmm, maybe. So who else is going to go comb the archives for every possible instance of the word "hear" now?

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

It's been over two years since she last saw or heard from her dad, yes. It's been less than that since the end of Chapter 14 though.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

I do, because learning how things like Gunnerkrigg Court are designed is interesting, not because hanging on every pixel is ammo for a crazy theory. You might wanna go easier on the snippy comments in the future.

Somehow I find it really endearing and hilarious that Jones has a traditional dumbphone, but then it dawned on me that we don't know for sure what year this story is set. I've always assumed it was similar to the current time, but maybe in the story it's more like early 2000s or even late 1990s (in which case Jones' phone is probably totally badass, haha). Or, hell, it could be something completely off if technology developed at a different rate due to the world's ethereal mechanics.

Also possible: the phone is actually a robot, and the transferring call voice was the phone itself talking. :v:

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

The story is set in the current day! Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Waffnuffly posted:

I do, because learning how things like Gunnerkrigg Court are designed is interesting, not because hanging on every pixel is ammo for a crazy theory. You might wanna go easier on the snippy comments in the future.

I'm aware. I meant "who gives a poo poo, why are you focusing on a minor detail right now, take a second to revel in what just happened."

Half of me is sick of the constant "hanging off every pixel" and the other half knows that's part of the fun of the comic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
While I was expecting a serious turn at the end of the chapter, I admit I was not expecting this. I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

Also:

Tea-san posted:

The story is set in the current day! Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

"Mystery solved!"

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

While I was expecting a serious turn at the end of the chapter, I admit I was not expecting this. I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

Also:

"Mystery solved!"

"How is that for an enigmatic answer? Ha ha ha!"

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Migishu posted:

I'd like to see the next chapter (or one of the next chapters) be something involving Annie's father

After all, it's been "over 2 years" in the story.

Good call, dude five days ago! Almost too good........ . . . . .

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Migishu is clearly Annie's father.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

All of the above.

...Still trying to picture this.

Tea-san posted:

Well THAT sure is interesting! Tell me: can robots use touchscreens? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Seriously, the day when we find out what Jones actually is will be a sad, sad day. Hopefully Tom will find some other things to mess with us about.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Waffnuffly posted:

All of the above.

...Still trying to picture this.

Well THAT sure is interesting! Tell me: can robots use touchscreens? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

Man they sell gloves that work with those, can't be too hard to put the same crap under a robot's skin.

The gloves also cost a lot so I didn't get them but I thought their existence was neat.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I did not see this coming in the slightest. Annie looks as stunned as I feel.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tea-san posted:

Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

Oh man...I hope you're ready for a flood of poorly spelled Formspring questions about this sentence.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Settle down, guys. It's just Coyote prankin'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

cranky pomme posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

is it safe to assume that that's static in the background of her father's speech bubble, or is it just a stylistic choice?

Different characters have different coloured speech bubbles right? Maybe's ol daddy Carver just gets a cool staticy effect as his

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Man they sell gloves that work with those, can't be too hard to put the same crap under a robot's skin.

The gloves also cost a lot so I didn't get them but I thought their existence was neat.

I always thought those gloves just had little wires sewn into the finger tips to conduct the body's natural electrical field to the phone screen. Maybe Jones doesn't have an electrical field?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zenzirouj posted:

Settle down, guys. It's just Coyote prankin'.

I'm not entirely sure how this would make me feel. It would at the very least be hilarious.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Phy posted:

I always thought those gloves just had little wires sewn into the finger tips to conduct the body's natural electrical field to the phone screen. Maybe Jones doesn't have an electrical field?

Which means if jones was a robot she would have an electrical field.
Hmm she's like a robot but non-conductive, and also very heavy, and possibly both mechanical and Etheric, JONES IS A GOLEM.

Also with regards to the new page

HWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Conductive metals can use touchscreens. I can use a fork to poke buttons on mine.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rumda posted:

Which means if jones was a robot she would have an electrical field.
Hmm she's like a robot but non-conductive, and also very heavy
It's just the holiday sweets gosh.

In other news, have we consitered that it may be a Father in relation to a church or other body?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So...a golem.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Coyote referred to Jones as 'Wandering Eye' and so I will believe that is exactly what she is. A big, walking eyeball wearing a suit and a wig.

When's the last time you operated a touchscreen with your eyeball? Yeah, that's what I thought. :colbert:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

T-man posted:

In other news, have we considered that it may be a Father in relation to a church or other body?

I can't see Tom being that dickish in the actual comic. In the rant or comments on a forum or twitter sure but not the actual comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Man this next chapter is gonna be heavy. I hope we get some jabronis to break up the tension once in a while.