Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Well first I would have it be an anarchist or autonomist faction that breaks your guy loose, rather than one of the criminal orgs. The criminal orgs wouldn't let you loose, they'd forknap you. Alternatively you could have a criminal org forknap you, and they you escape from them.

Habitat Cyberbrain is an appropriate specialization as for as level of specificity goes, but to be honest I would not do it that way. You're much better off using those 10 points for flavorful skills for a couple reasons - first, they actually come up so you get to do things with them, and second because you have a minimum spend for "knowledge" skills anyways. I can see what you're going for, but Right at Home is mostly a flavor buy anyways, even when you choose it for a morph-type you're actually using.

As for the concept, I like it, but I'm not sure how drone-friendly EP actually is. Despite its connections to Shadowrun, I really haven't seen much done in that direction, at least as far as running multiple drones. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it wouldn't be cheap and would require some careful setup. However, hacker type characters can be very powerful, so leaning more towards that would probably give you a clearer path to a character build and what to do in-game without sacrificing the flavor.

Hard to go into further detail without seeing more of what you've put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Completely unrelated to my previous post, I just noticed the Modular Design robotic enhancement. Give that to everyone and the party could literally be Voltron. Or any of the other morphing-robot sentai team shows.

That might be a decent twist on the "Wake up on Earth" plotline. Wake up in Japan, sleeved in near-identical synthmorphs, spend an adventure or two learning the abilities, then find out you can merge the morphs.

Or it could be a kind of gladiatorial team sport on the scum barge Mai Waifu: Sleeve the team into what's essentially one body. The best team would be a group of neo-Synergists. Hell, maybe they're using a variant of the Synergist hypermesh to make the modular robots in the first place, which gets Firewall's attention after a battle team starts taking on each other's mannerisms.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I just realized that the weapons table has no stats for shotguns.

I find this odd. (Then again, I can't imagine non-pointy buckshot doing much good against the kinds of armor in Eclipse Phase.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

InfiniteJesters posted:

I just realized that the weapons table has no stats for shotguns.

I find this odd. (Then again, I can't imagine non-pointy buckshot doing much good against the kinds of armor in Eclipse Phase.)

The shrapnel guns under Spray weapons are sorta shotguns.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dareon posted:

Or it could be a kind of gladiatorial team sport on the scum barge Mai Waifu

As far as I am concerned, this is as canon as it gets.

(I love that scum barges seemingly exist for this kind of poo poo.)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The shrapnel guns under Spray weapons are sorta shotguns.

If you mean the shard/shredder weapons, those are more like guns that fire very tiny armor-piercing projectiles really really rapidly.

If you are referring to something else entirely then apparently I am looking at the wrong edition of the book. :U

Ettin posted:

As far as I am concerned, this is as canon as it gets.

(I love that scum barges seemingly exist for this kind of poo poo.)

Reminds me of the Nomads from Infinity. Their infantry units include catgirl medics and furry/anthro berserkers---and the berserkers are also used as feral-level-intelligence sex toys. :gonk:

It's like 4chan took a trio of generation ships, a book of genetic engineering, and a bunch of guns and tried their hand at nation building. It's beautiful in its insanity.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 18, 2012

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Ariadna has its share of hillbilly furries too. The closest analouge to them would be if Earth survivors were still a coherent faction. Or if someone rediscovered a planet colonized by a StL ship sent out 100 years before the fall...also everyone is a splicer/flat with no stack*.

So basically libertarian Jovians in the woods instead of boxes in space.

Hmm, that does give me an idea. Instead of the "morph pool" idea, where you set aside x amount of points at chargen for morph buying/resleeving, you have a "clan pool" representing your nearest inbred relative joining the party after you eat it/leave.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 19, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Ariadna has its share of hillbilly furries too. The closest analouge to them would be if Earth survivors were still a coherent faction. Or if someone rediscovered a planet colonized by a StL ship sent out 100 years before the fall...also everyone is a splicer/flat with no stack.

So basically libertarian Jovians in the woods instead of boxes in space.

Well that explains why Ariadna and the Nomads get along so well.

They took one look at each other and said "You guys look like total nutcases. Let's go out for a pint!" :v:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I also rather enjoy the "You can't hack them because an autocannon ripped off a russian IFV from 200 years ago and being fired at you like a long arm doesn't have anything to hack" aspect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Well that explains why Ariadna and the Nomads get along so well.

They took one look at each other and said "You guys look like total nutcases. Let's go out for a pint!" :v:

Well, that and the whole thing about the Nomads being the only power to openly side with Ariadna when they were rediscovered, and at least in part for ideological rather than economical reasons.

Seriously, it's pretty much thanks to the Nomads that Ariadna exists at all. Half the SWC kit on the Ariadna list is Nomad-manufactured.

(Also, antipodes aren't furries.)

e; VVV I was including the dogfaces, and yes, they're werewolves, which aren't furry.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 19, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well, that and the whole thing about the Nomads being the only power to openly side with Ariadna when they were rediscovered, and at least in part for ideological rather than economical reasons.

Seriously, it's pretty much thanks to the Nomads that Ariadna exists at all. Half the SWC kit on the Ariadna list is Nomad-manufactured.

(Also, antipodes aren't furries.)

I was referring to the dogfaces (although they're more like werewolves, aren't they?)

Also, I'm reading the sample/starter adventures where the PCs are dealing with TITAN strain outbreaks.

It's all Dead Space up in this poo poo! :gonk: The authors are very intelligent and too good at putting worms of escalating dread into my mind.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

InfiniteJesters posted:

If you mean the shard/shredder weapons, those are more like guns that fire very tiny armor-piercing projectiles really really rapidly.

If you are referring to something else entirely then apparently I am looking at the wrong edition of the book. :U

No, that's exactly what I mean. It's a kinetic cone attack weapon that fires all it's blast in one shot. It's a shotgun. It just shoots tiny AP shrapnel rather then buckshot.

I mean reflavor to touch and such, but it's pretty much a Space Shotgun.

Edit: The shredder specifically fires a cloud of flechettes. It's really not a bit leap to reflavor it as an automatic SPACE SHOTGUN.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 19, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Ooooh, okay, I must have misred the description and thought it was a higher-caliber version of the shredder pistol. :v:

EDIT: I sorta imagine the shredder pistol as being more akin to Molly's dartgun from Gibson's "Neuromancer" than a scattergun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's a bit hard to really imagine what it's meant to be since it's both a) a spread weapon and thus a cone attack b) is apparently one handed and c) has full auto capabilities. I have no idea what kind of weapon operates this way. I just figured it's the best candidate so far at least for scattergun.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I imagine the shredder pistol is the future-equivalent of the Taurus judge or any other of those ridiculous revolvers that fire .410 shotgun shells.

It is also full auto because goddamn EVERYTHING is full auto pre-errata.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

I imagine the shredder pistol is the future-equivalent of the Taurus judge or any other of those ridiculous revolvers that fire .410 shotgun shells.

It is also full auto because goddamn EVERYTHING is full auto pre-errata.

Really? I'm looking at the 3rd printing and it still says that many weapons are select-fire.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Er, I meant had full auto options.

Which lead to the infamous Sniper Rifle Uber Alles.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The full auto sniper rifle was absurd. At least it was a straight up editing error rather than a rule oversight. It was never supposed to be BF/FA, someone just mixed up a copy/paste at some point.

I've been playing with a weapons rule redux because honestly Kinetic weapons are just better, and Energy weapons in particular don't have anything that makes them stand out. Seeker and Spray weapons at least have some weird utilities, but energy weapons just feel like less flexible, less powerful kinetic weapons that oh-by-the-way are easier to get high armor values against. It's a bit tricky because I don't want to make things even more complicated than they already are.

Melee weapons can be really devastating with the right build and circumstances at least, though it's a niche build.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The full auto sniper rifle was absurd. At least it was a straight up editing error rather than a rule oversight. It was never supposed to be BF/FA, someone just mixed up a copy/paste at some point.

I've been playing with a weapons rule redux because honestly Kinetic weapons are just better, and Energy weapons in particular don't have anything that makes them stand out. Seeker and Spray weapons at least have some weird utilities, but energy weapons just feel like less flexible, less powerful kinetic weapons that oh-by-the-way are easier to get high armor values against. It's a bit tricky because I don't want to make things even more complicated than they already are.

Melee weapons can be really devastating with the right build and circumstances at least, though it's a niche build.

Sniper rifles are now SA with the errata and energy weapons are better for armored targets I think.

The best case scenario for a kinetic weapon is an assault rifle with reactive AP ammo -12 AP 2d10+7 damage with +3d10 for FA damage - which is 1 attack a round.

A plasma rifle does -8 AP and 3d10+20 damage with 2 shots a round and only overheats in vacuum and also can set the target on fire. You can do more damage to a Reaper or other armored target with a plasma rifle doing aimed shots to negate armor than with a FA kinetic weapon with special rounds.

The other energy weapons are specialized weapons - stealth/non lethal takedown.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a bit hard to really imagine what it's meant to be since it's both a) a spread weapon and thus a cone attack b) is apparently one handed and c) has full auto capabilities. I have no idea what kind of weapon operates this way. I just figured it's the best candidate so far at least for scattergun.

Seriously, describe a full-auto flechette gun and you basically have a stream of projectiles with fluidity similar to water.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

Seriously, describe a full-auto flechette gun and you basically have a stream of projectiles with fluidity similar to water.

Need to never not be using that.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

The other energy weapons are specialized weapons - stealth/non lethal takedown.

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Anyway! Where do railguns fit into the weapons hierarchy here?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I've found railguns are basically more specialized versions of the pre-existing guns. They can't use much specialized ammunition, so no tagging or zapping targets. They lend themselves well towards being specialized against high-armor targets, since the only special ammo you can use is armor-piercing.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Re: seekers, yeah, they have great utility.

I've gotten good mileage out of an underbarrel seeker launcher. Especially things like splash grenades with scrappers gel or liquid thermite when you have zap ammo in a smart magazine in the main weapon.

Well, I had to spend two moxie to negate the two critical failures I rolled when shooting it for the first time, but good mileage nontheless.

I usually stack it along the lines of Overload/Offensive (splash, frag, whatever I can afford)/Overload/Offensive/etc

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Any idea how to promote this game to some nerdy friends of mine who have had bad experiences with proponents of transhumanism and think they're largely arrogant atheistic wankers with a superiority complex?

I told one person that it was like Shadowrun meets X-Files meets Dead Space and that apparently at least got them to (reluctantly) consider looking at the corebook.

It is rather irritating as intelligent folk who I thought would enjoy this sort of genre are going all EWW FANCY-PANTS FUTURE TALK (I recall one compatriot seemed a bit twitchy when the techno-anarchist bits were brought up) about it. Jesus, what gave them such a case of the disappointments?

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just tell them it's basically cyberpunk in space with laser-toting octopi.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

InfiniteJesters posted:

Any idea how to promote this game to some nerdy friends of mine who have had bad experiences with proponents of transhumanism and think they're largely arrogant atheistic wankers with a superiority complex?

For starters, tell them to skip the introfiction. The narrator is exactly what you describe. I nearly chucked the book when i got to "Does my vulgarity offend you, corporate lackey?" Keerist, the last time an introfiction made me want to actively avoid playing the book it was from was Exalted's 1st ed Abyssals, which featured a dude having a wet dream about his death and having his demon-ape towel boy mop it up.

aaaand lets be fair, there's a fair bit of that throughout the core (the first bit, not the demon-ape stuff' thankfully, EP handles weird sexuality remarkably well). The section on religion is just poorly loving handled and dismissive, and if he is one of those hard core "ANARCHISM ALWAYS FAILS RAH RAH RAH even with technomagic" sorts, he's not going to be able to enjoy the setting unless he gets over that or the GM drops it from the game.

A lot of folks do have partial hangups about the setting. Not deal-enders, but certainly concerns. For me to enjoy EP, I had to be assured by the GMs that save vs death and arbitrary morph death to advance the plot wasn't going to be a part of the game. When dying equates to having your gear broken, a lot of x-surgant stuff boils down to exceptionally passive-aggresive rust monsters.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

For starters, tell them to skip the introfiction. The narrator is exactly what you describe. I nearly chucked the book when i got to "Does my vulgarity offend you, corporate lackey?" Keerist, the last time an introfiction made me want to actively avoid playing the book it was from was Exalted's 1st ed Abyssals, which featured a dude having a wet dream about his death and having his demon-ape towel boy mop it up.

aaaand lets be fair, there's a fair bit of that throughout the core (the first bit, not the demon-ape stuff' thankfully, EP handles weird sexuality remarkably well). The section on religion is just poorly loving handled and dismissive, and if he is one of those hard core "ANARCHISM ALWAYS FAILS RAH RAH RAH even with technomagic" sorts, he's not going to be able to enjoy the setting unless he gets over that or the GM drops it from the game.

A lot of folks do have partial hangups about the setting. Not deal-enders, but certainly concerns. For me to enjoy EP, I had to be assured by the GMs that save vs death and arbitrary morph death to advance the plot wasn't going to be a part of the game. When dying equates to having your gear broken, a lot of x-surgant stuff boils down to exceptionally passive-aggresive rust monsters.

A) Okay, will do!

B) I thought it could have handled religion worse, but yeah, could have been better. (Doubt I could have handled it *much* better, though, despite being an atheist/agnostic who is best bros with an Evangelical Christian and his family and accepts them for what they think even if I don't always understand it). And in this case I don't know if the logistics of anarchism bother him as much as the :smug: that certain proponents of it exude. Really, this particular type of anarchism needs a better, more reflective name.

C) I am not quite sure I know what you mean. Save vs death? And by arbitrary morph death do you mean "Bad news is you got killed in the escape, good news is you wake up extremely groggy and scared as poo poo later!"? And furthermore, what of one person in my group who expects to be routinely wrecked on a regular basis and thus prefers to inhabit an extremely disposable Case morph at all times?

It's kinda hard to play up the horror even with the possibility of mental contamination, just because with extra lives it can quickly turn into a much more serious version of Paranoia. :v: It takes work.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 20, 2012

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

InfiniteJesters posted:

B) And in this case I don't know if the logistics of anarchism bother him as much as the :smug: that certain proponents of it exude. Really, this particular type of anarchism needs a better, more reflective name.
Self Sufficiency? Its hard to think of a word that hasn't been deliberately poisoned. And yeah, getting past the :smug: is gonna be hard, especially with the vast majority of the opponents of anarchism in the setting being some variety of corpro-fascist or just plain fascist.

quote:

C) I am not quite sure I know what you mean. Save vs death?

X-surgants! Roll to dodge/evade/not catch the disease. Failed? Okay, you're as good as dead."

quote:

And by arbitrary morph death you mean "Bad news is you got killed in the escape, good news is you wake up extremely groggy and scared as poo poo later!"?

"And your awesome morph is gone. And now you're in a toaster with wheels."

quote:

And furthermore, what of one person in my group who expects to be routinely wrecked on a regular basis and thus prefers to inhabit an extremely disposable Case morph at all times?

More power to them, run with that. My current PCs morph cost+augs is somewhere around ~100,000 credits worth. "Your body is a shell, change it"? No loving thank you. Sleeving into something else temporarily is fine (like leaving the panther assault cannon behind in shadowrun when you go meet somewhere nice), getting killed in a fight is fine (part of inherent risk), wrecking it as part of the plot and getting a crappy replacement morph is like taking all of the sammies' gear and destroying it to prove a plot point.

My current GM is really great, but in general I'm paranoid about the ways old school grognardism can gently caress you in this setting, and avoiding that requires player-gm communication.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Wall 'o text

A) Yeah, self-sufficiency sounds good. (Are nerds not very good at branding things in appealing/properly descriptive ways? Do they prefer to make it sound as gently caress-you as possible?) :confused:

B) Ah, yeah, the extreme contagiousness of the exsurgent strains is...Concerning. The vibe I get from Eclipse Phase is "Call of Cthulu IN SPACE with an actual chance of genuine victory!" but by stock standard the rules sound hard to make mesh meaningfully. Fortunately, the author himself says "Rules not working/not fun? Change them or make your own!" so at least down at his heart the author is anti-grognard I think. \/:v:\/ What do you do? Slow down the infection speed for exoviruses? Reduce the number of viable vectors? Give the virus a weakness to fire or something else? (I imagine riot shields are a possible way to guard against splatter.)

C) Ahhhh, yeah. I think in the real world Firewall would be a bigger and more overt organization instead of an exoplague-fighting space CIA that has to improvise constantly, at the very least the corps would make a small fortune off of providing for Firewall's needs, but on the other hand such an organization would draw the attention of the more intelligent TITAN elements...But at any rate I imagine Firewall could replace (begrudgingly) anything that wasn't 100% custom-fabricated. Unless you're suicidal, utilize gambits off of expendable bodies or just consider digital death and rebirth to be a weirdly morbid but common thing, backups are just that---backups.

D) Yyyyyeah. Although I think if a PC gets captured and forced into the upload pit fights that that one syndicate holds, there's a possibility to do a 1P RP with that player, and if he plays his cards right he might come out with a better morph than before...

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 20, 2012

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

See, there you go again, thinking like a decent GM and human being instead of something that crawled out of the worst experiences thread.

quote:

(Are nerds not very good at branding things in appealing/properly descriptive ways? Do they prefer to make it sound as gently caress-you as possible?)

Yes, I'd consider that one of the worst parts of grogism. Making roleplay sound fun instead of Dances-with-Catpiss-Men has been a recurring challenge in the industry.

quote:

What do you do? Slow down the infection speed for exoviruses? Reduce the number of viable vectors? Give the virus a weakness to fire or something else? (I imagine riot shields are a possible way to guard against splatter.

Something i'd do is make the virus a "Satan" analouge. The people most likely to seek it out are the ones that want an edge/crazy+evil/etc. It ain't gonna jump randomly. The person getting whispers to do X and proceed to the next level of infection are going to be the dicks of the party who are inclined to do it in the first place. (Grimdark option: EVERYONE is infected with it, all of transhumanity, its only when you start listening to its advice does it start manifesting)

If it wants to just kill everyone it can, it'll just call up the warbots, and those a sort of problem gamers are used to solving (via ultraviolence)

Also, strongly consider the "morph pool" system. Instead of buying a morph at chargen, the players set aside X points into a morph pool. If they resleeve between adventure, they buy anything they want with that, and add on to it with their own money. If they resleeve mid-adventure, they get 75% of that to play with.

Consider handing them an equipment pool that functions similarly, in case they need to swap out their spy gear for machineguns during the assault phase of the mission.

quote:

there's a possibility to do a 1P RP with that player, and if he plays his cards right he might come out with a better morph than before...
"What do you MEAN you don't like your herm catgirl sex pod? Not KAWAII DESU NE-nough?!"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 20, 2012

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

InfiniteJesters posted:

C) Ahhhh, yeah. I think in the real world Firewall would be a bigger and more overt organization instead of an exoplague-fighting space CIA that has to improvise constantly, at the very least the corps would make a small fortune off of providing for Firewall's needs, but on the other hand such an organization would draw the attention of the more intelligent TITAN elements...But at any rate I imagine Firewall could replace (begrudgingly) anything that wasn't 100% custom-fabricated. Unless you're suicidal, utilize gambits off of expendable bodies or just consider digital death and rebirth to be a weirdly morbid but common thing, backups are just that---backups.

The hypercorps do have their own well-funded profiteering version of Firewall, though; Project OZMA. It's the CIA to Firewall's Anonymous; centralised rather than cell-like, funded by the big bucks, looking after government interests more than moral/political ones, etc. I really hope it gets more material down the line that isn't all 'lol secret evil fascists', as it could do a lot to balance out the line.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

See, there you go again, thinking like a decent GM and human being instead of something that crawled out of the worst experiences thread.

Why thank yew. :3:

The way I see it, roleplaying games are a lot like BDSM. They're both exorbitantly pricey things that involve pain. And they both rely on consent for everyone to have a good time. If things go wrong, there is severe excruciating pain. If things go right, there is severe excrucating pain and it is so wonderful~.

Do I make great analogies or what? :v:

quote:

Yes, I'd consider that one of the worst parts of grogism. Making roleplay sound fun instead of Dances-with-Catpiss-Men has been a recurring challenge in the industry.

I was referring more to nerds' tendency to use IMPORTANT WORDS like anarchism when self-sufficiency is more accurate, but I suppose such similar social maladies apply to marketing TTRPGs, too. :v:

quote:

Something i'd do is make the virus a "Satan" analouge. The people most likely to seek it out are the ones that want an edge/crazy+evil/etc. It ain't gonna jump randomly. The person getting whispers to do X and proceed to the next level of infection are going to be the dicks of the party who are inclined to do it in the first place. (Grimdark option: EVERYONE is infected with it, all of transhumanity, its only when you start listening to its advice does it start manifesting)

If it wants to just kill everyone it can, it'll just call up the warbots, and those a sort of problem gamers are used to solving (via ultraviolence)

Also, strongly consider the "morph pool" system. Instead of buying a morph at chargen, the players set aside X points into a morph pool. If they resleeve between adventure, they buy anything they want with that, and add on to it with their own money. If they resleeve mid-adventure, they get 75% of that to play with.

Consider handing them an equipment pool that functions similarly, in case they need to swap out their spy gear for machineguns during the assault phase of the mission.

Ahhhh, a corruption meter. That...Has possibilities. >:)

And gear pools actually make a helluva lot more sense than the default rules, given the nature of manufacturing. I imagine there is little that could not be recycled in such a society.

quote:

"What do you MEAN you don't like your herm catgirl sex pod? Not KAWAII DESU NE-nough?!"

Anime cons in the world of Eclipse Phase would likely be both the most fun events ever and the most terrifying.

Also, imagine an entire colony based on Touhou.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

More power to them, run with that. My current PCs morph cost+augs is somewhere around ~100,000 credits worth. "Your body is a shell, change it"? No loving thank you.

Hey maybe you should play with the morph pool houserules that were posted in here a couple of pages ago. You know, the ones designed to fix this oversight in EP's design. :colbert:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

We're talking about rebooting our character sheets using it next time around. I'm totally down with it, assuming the cap isn't set at like, 50 or 60 points.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
On a minor note, some recommended mood music for this game:

http://www.cybernetika.de/

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Really, this particular type of anarchism needs a better, more reflective name.

Self-sufficiency is good, but honestly it's direct, stateless democracy. In a lot of cases these "collectivist anarchist" groups are calling for everyone to come to a consensus on decisions in their communities. People naturally do this, even under governments. Meanwhile the term "anarchy"'s been politically assassinated by provocateurs back in the 19th century, and rebellious teens and college students now.

I love the concepts Eclipse Phase gives, but they handle social stuff rather poorly. Religion wouldn't spontaneously vanish just because you can't die or Earth burns up. Religions can't be "proven wrong" to people, and that arrogant attitude almost made me throw the book out. I'd expect strongly religious folk to be among the most vocal Reclaimers, and I'm surprised they didn't go with that tack instead.

If a group takes the basic ideas of the setting like morphs and the Mesh, strips a few out here, tweaks some societies there, and possibly scales things back to before the Fall (for something more like Ghost in the Shell maybe), and swaps the system out for something faster like Unknown Armies, would that still be Eclipse Phase?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Goggle Fox posted:

If a group takes the basic ideas of the setting like morphs and the Mesh, strips a few out here, tweaks some societies there, and possibly scales things back to before the Fall (for something more like Ghost in the Shell maybe), and swaps the system out for something faster like Unknown Armies, would that still be Eclipse Phase?

The author has said "If it makes things more fun, change something." Do you have to ask?

Also, you've met me before online, but not under this name. Guess who I am! :3

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Goggle Fox posted:

I love the concepts Eclipse Phase gives, but they handle social stuff rather poorly. Religion wouldn't spontaneously vanish just because you can't die or Earth burns up. Religions can't be "proven wrong" to people, and that arrogant attitude almost made me throw the book out. I'd expect strongly religious folk to be among the most vocal Reclaimers, and I'm surprised they didn't go with that tack instead.

I don't have my copy at hand, but from what I remember the religion section was a bit weird in that it was "suddenly Christianity fails, Buddhism does pretty well and, uh, some people worship aliens now. Yeah, that's it." Could've been handled better but then you get into sticky territory like how would Islam adjust to Mecca being very off limits? Now I have an idea for an Inner System game-

InfiniteJesters posted:

Also, imagine an entire colony based on Touhou.

I've seen some brainstorming to fit Touhou into EP on /tg/. There's some strange ideas they had on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The Pilgrimage thing sounds like it could be interesting with the right group of players.

There's actually a bunch of reasonable exceptions to the pilgrimage requirement, like being to old or sick. The one most likely to apply to people in EP is not being able to afford it and you're not supposed to take on debts or ask others for money to go either.

But if you are genuinely unable to go, for example due to an unreasonable number of killsats between you and Mecca, you may appoint someone to go in your stead. I could see this becoming a thing where a pretty large number of people pool their resources to send a small, skilled and well equipped group to earth. The PCs would have to be muslims and are not supposed to do it for profit or anything though of course there may be shady things going on.

And as i said, i think it would depend even more on good and mature players to not make it into some sort of terrible caricature.

• Locked thread