Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Starting to think they should just hire Brian Johnson to be their US correspondent.

e: or fire Hammond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The FF's 4WD system just sounds like something people will rip out and drop a LS1 into in 10 years or so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Top Gear 2013: James May, Brian Johnson and Oz Clarke. Less "phwoaar, ten new supercars out this week", more drinking. Jeremy Clarkson gets a Stig-ish role, he's wheeled out every now and then to be rude to eco-cars and foreigners.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Mighty Horse posted:

The FF's 4WD system just sounds like something people will rip out and drop a LS1 into in 10 years or so.

I was looking for a an analogy for this car for a while now and nothing sums it up better than that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I guess you could fit it in the back somewhere but that sounds like a great idea to have an LS1 for just the front wheels.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sonic H posted:

£227k for that FF? **** me.

Unless you live in China!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/842-000-ferrari-develops-burning-desire-slow-speed-cause-of-combustion/

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Jusupov posted:

Ferrari had the winter tires without studs, traction tires I think they are called in english. Definitely not a balanced challenge, though they do come close on some surfaces.
I'll have to look at this shots again, but I'm 99% sure I saw speed rated white plastic studs on the Ferrari. Looked like traditional steel studs on the Bentley.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I don't understand why the engine in the Fister wasn't diesel? They're much better suited to generators - more efficient generally, plus all the torque at lower revs. And they can be incredibly powerful if you only have to tune them to run in a very narrow rev band.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I didn't like the epilogue to the Fisker review. James spent 10 minutes praising the car for its great style, technology and overall feel, and Clarkson shoots it all down with his willfully-misinformed-of-electronic-motoring-progress-schtick.

It's played out and dumb.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Sweevo posted:

I don't understand why the engine in the Fister wasn't diesel? They're much better suited to generators - more efficient generally, plus all the torque at lower revs. And they can be incredibly powerful if you only have to tune them to run in a very narrow rev band.

Would it be for the emissions? I thought the US had pretty crappy diesel compared to the UK/Europe.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Sweevo posted:

America hates diesel - that's why. Shame though, for the reasons you mentioned.

For over $100K it's not hard to see why they're running into problems financially. If that type of car/system could be deployed for somewhere in the $50-80K range, that'd be great, though it would mean they'd probably have to comprimise on all the organic materials and/or do some platform sharing and parts bin materials.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
If anyone else is interested, the watch that James May was wearing in the segment with Brian Johnson was an Omega Chrono-Quartz (Brian was wearing a ~15k Audemars Piguet ROO).

This was a great show overall. I loved the segment with Brian Johnson, that guy cracks me up with his accent "It really is a crackin' lookin jam jod isn't it? Look at the state of that".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

allonblack posted:

If anyone else is interested, the watch that James May was wearing in the segment with Brian Johnson was an Omega Chrono-Quartz (Brian was wearing a ~15k Audemars Piguet ROO).

This was a great show overall. I loved the segment with Brian Johnson, that guy cracks me up with his accent "It really is a crackin' lookin jam jod isn't it? Look at the state of that".

Quite a high resolution tv you have there.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'll have to look at this shots again, but I'm 99% sure I saw speed rated white plastic studs on the Ferrari. Looked like traditional steel studs on the Bentley.

Actually yeah there seem to be some.

Weird round tops.

Ah now rewatching I hear Jeremy saying that the "Bentley has better studded tires" instead of "Bentley has studded tires" that I thought he said.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

allonblack posted:

I bought a Rado Ceramica because James had one. :3:

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

got dat wmd posted:

I bought a Rado Ceramica because James had one. :3:

it's a beautiful watch. I'm a big fan of the Sintra Chronograph myself.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

allonblack posted:

May and Clarkson are pretty serious watch guys and have been for some time. Hammond seems less so, but he's good some nice ones from time to time.

Alton Brown and Stephen Colbert are also both watch enthusiasts, which makes for some fun "what's that?" spotting during their respective shows. Alton is even a regular at a couple of watch forums.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Colbert seems to stick to his Tag Heuer Monaco mostly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Why were the lights on the ff flashing? It wasn't just the slo-mo shots or I would have thought it was pwm brightness controls.

Also, I'm in literal awe of the ferrari 4wd system, pointless, expensive & complicated but somehow amazing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Why were the lights on the ff flashing? It wasn't just the slo-mo shots or I would have thought it was pwm brightness controls.
LEDs, I don't think they film well.

Here's something that should probably be posted in here, what with the "modified mobility scooters" thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I would guess they're flashing at a slow enough frequency that even a normal camera picks them up between flashes every now and then. I've noticed it on a few cars in the last handful of seasons.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Cakefool posted:

Also, I'm in literal awe of the ferrari 4wd system, pointless, expensive & complicated but somehow amazing.

It's from a technology called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. It's a method for "dimming" LED lights.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

LEDs pulse to control their brightness, it shows up even in non-slow mo.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

jammyozzy posted:

I would guess they're flashing at a slow enough frequency that even a normal camera picks them up between flashes every now and then. I've noticed it on a few cars in the last handful of seasons.

and dont forget that even today's all digital camera still have a shutter. If that shutter is set at a 1/2000 framerate (to shoot/edit slow mo), and the frequency is closer to a shutter speed of 1/15, your always going to have that "LED flutter." I can remember shooting a red LED surround on a security camera once and having the LED's show up as green when we got back to editing.

Remember:

1/30 normal shooting conditions for TV/ TV news.

1/24 typical film speed

1/2000 looks badass when sped up to a normal framerate (sooooo smooooooth....:flashfap:)

1/2 a brain (having one sucks)

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

Yeah, Ferrari seems to be headed in a really strange direction caused by a combination of bleeding edge technology and a desire for almost total control over their cars. I think it could bite them in the rear end in the long run, but maybe not.

This was a great episode overall, but I found the mobility scooter segment even more boring than the chase scene one from last week.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Overall I think that episode was one of the best in a long time. Though I'm surprised no one remarked the cost of the war costing an arm and a leg.

Ferrari should just rip off the Chinese ripping off Nissan and copied whatever 4WD system that the new GTR uses, which I think actually is powered by magic.

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

It's one of the reasons I want to own a TVR Chimaera/Griffith. 1 ton car + 5 litre engine with zero traction control, no ABS, and the airbag is whatever bag of popcorn you was eating at the time.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cakefool posted:

The lights on ferraris flash when there's is sudden deceleration like hazards.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What an awesome episode. But wow Wales looks cold and awful.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What an awesome episode. But wow Wales looks cold and awful.
It is. Also all those hills are soaking wet all the time. Beautiful through the pub window though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Obviously the FF overheats and burns up unless driven in the snow :v:

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

japtor posted:

Obviously the FF overheats and burns up unless driven in the snow :v:

Another self combusting car from Ferrari. wow. What happens in a case like this anyway? Do Ferrari say "whoops our bad, here's your money back"? or "take it to the insurance"?

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

I don't think it can be done with todays high level of performance without being flatout dangerous. SSC and Henessey are both making ridiculous 1200 hp 1200 kg twin turbo V8's that can't be driven in any any form of anger on a public road, the thing kicks out at 250 kph+. Jerod Shelby says is next car will be developed at the Ring and I guarantee you they will total a car in the process.

All other automotive manufacturers realize this and make even their halo cars drivable by bankers, otherwise you simply get a reputation for making cars that kill CEO's.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jut posted:

Another self combusting car from Ferrari. wow. What happens in a case like this anyway? Do Ferrari say "whoops our bad, here's your money back"? or "take it to the insurance"?
I vaguely remember some Minis burning up a few years back but I forget what/if Mini did anything about it. It seemed pretty rare and the NHTSA only recently investigated and discovered the cause, leading to a recall starting this month. (...although I still haven't received the notice for it)

I just found this on how Ferrari handled the 458:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/02/autos/ferrari_recall/index.htm

quote:

The NHTSA statement said 303 vehicles are being recalled, and owners could be eligible for reimbursement for if they spent money on repairs related to the problem before the recall was announced.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a really enjoyable episode, the Fisker was an interesting car, the Ferrari/Bentley ice race was very well filmed and edited and the mobility cart race wasn't too stupid or arseholish.

A billion times better than last week's episode.

eames
May 9, 2009

japtor posted:

I vaguely remember some Minis burning up a few years back but I forget what/if Mini did anything about it. It seemed pretty rare and the NHTSA only recently investigated and discovered the cause, leading to a recall starting this month. (...although I still haven't received the notice for it)

I think that’s the issue where the electric auxiliary water pump, that is supposed to cool the turbo after you turn the engine off, failed. Only affects the Cooper S and JCW for obvious reasons.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/16/autos/mini_cooper_recall/index.htm

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

That was a really enjoyable episode, the Fisker was an interesting car, the Ferrari/Bentley ice race was very well filmed and edited and the mobility cart race wasn't too stupid or arseholish.

A billion times better than last week's episode.

This was pretty much my immediate reaction as well.

The Ferrari/Bentley ice race was brilliantly edited with the cuts between the ice and the actual Silverstone track. The two different engine notes worked really well together, I just love how outright dirty the otherwise dignified and conservative Bentley sounds.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The Fenton thing was legitimately funny.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The shot of the FFs exhaust when it takes off...

Incredible.

Great episode.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The shot of the FFs exhaust when it takes off...

Incredible.

Great episode.

Yeah we need some serious GIFs from this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lusso posted:

and a desire for almost total control over their cars.

I'm assuming that's why TG ran it with the tires it had on -- because the agreement with Ferrari was to use those and only those tires.