Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Is it going to be that Jones is undead? Possibly stuffed with robotics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Next Monday needs to be here now :suspense:.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I was fine with the golem idea until I thought "Well what kind of golem had a childhood?" I guess it's possible she went through some process to become non-human?

Undead doesn't quite work because undead people don't tend to be super dense.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Undead golem? That would basically be like a Frankenstein's Monster, right?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fecha posted:

I was fine with the golem idea until I thought "Well what kind of golem had a childhood?" I guess it's possible she went through some process to become non-human?

Wait I'm still a bit confused as to who's who in the adult flashback. Which one is Jones?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

pandaK posted:

Wait I'm still a bit confused as to who's who in the adult flashback. Which one is Jones?

None of them. They just mention her in the second panel.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fecha posted:

Well they never said she was their age just that they knew her.

Robo Pope posted:

Undead golem? That would basically be like a Frankenstein's Monster, right?

Pretty much, most places (by which I mean d&d and offshoots) tend to refer to them as flesh golems.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 20, 2012

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

I wonder if she can set people on fire over the phone, or only in person.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

idonotlikepeas posted:

While I was expecting a serious turn at the end of the chapter, I admit I was not expecting this. I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

I'm predicting that she'll be too shocked to yell at him. She may be angry later, but for now I'd say all she'll able to do is just nod along with the conversation.

I somewhat doubt even be angry later on. From what I remember she seems pretty willing to put up the junk her father puts her through.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wooooooah.

That's something, right there. I think Annie might be a bit broken this time...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Y'know, I just thought the static in Dr. Carver's speech bubble was just for symbolizing that he was a great distance away from Gunnerkrigg Court/stylistic effect. :shobon: Or the court could have a barrier that disrupts signals from coming in or out, but that's just silly.

Anyway, Annie's going to have a ton of questions for her father, at least. Possibly a major portion of those being about her mother and why didn't he save her or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The static represents a bad cell connection. A difficult metaphor to grasp I'm sure.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Have we ever seen a character on the phone before? The static could just be there to indicate that the voice is coming from the phone. Kind of like how some comics use jagged word balloons instead of round ones for voices coming from phones/speakers/walkie-talkies/etc.

Man, I can't wait for next Friday...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

Have we ever seen a character on the phone before? The static could just be there to indicate that the voice is coming from the phone. Kind of like how some comics use jagged word balloons instead of round ones for voices coming from phones/speakers/walkie-talkies/etc.

Man, I can't wait for next Friday...

The operator's voice didn't have that static; the bad reception is presumably on Anthony's end.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I was just assuming he was in Abu Dhabi or something.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gunnerkrigg Court Thread (cellphone static discussion station)

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

The static represents a bad cell connection. A difficult metaphor to grasp I'm sure.

Nope. He's definitely a robot.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The operator's voice didn't have that static; the bad reception is presumably on Anthony's end.

:doh: I could have looked at the previous panel. Good call.

Elftor posted:

Nope. He's definitely a robot.

I thought we'd figured out that Elgamore isn't a robot.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Cowcaster posted:

The problem is not on Anthony's end though. Jones is causing static with her robotness.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wili posted:

The problem is not on Anthony's end though. Jones is causing static with her robotness.

If anything, her robotness is reventing the static, because it's only present when Anthony, who is farther away, is on the line.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or, Annie's magicity is breaking the phone.

Those laptops in the fairy classroom were all broken, right? And all the... robots... nah, that can't be right, if Annie was Dresden-style walking techbane, then Jones wouldn't be working right now, right?

Or Robot, at least...

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh, wow, I just got caught up and I definitely didn't see that coming.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Talorat posted:

Oh, wow, I just got caught up and I definitely didn't see that coming.

I love how everything turns on a dime.

Jones just whips out a cell phone and leaves a smoking bomb crater in the space of one page.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Lord of Laughton posted:

Anyone have the panel handy where the comment was about how one word was more important than the others?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=530

Oh hey.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)
None of the above.

"Antimony."
"...Father?"
[ Call failed ]

Searching...
No Service.

This is why you need Argh.apk.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm confused. The word "hear" doesn't appear on that page at all?

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

I assumed it was a joke, because "you" is the only word in bold.

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with
I can't help but wonder if Jones is in any way connected to this page, what with the eye symbol representing the program and all.

I'm most likely way off, though. Jones turns up all over the place, and I wouldn't really call marching into Gillitie Wood a "safe location."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/251565090

Tom's Formspring posted:

Q: Which word on this page is more important than the others? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=530

A: Waiting.

Which, given what we now know about Jeanne, makes some sense.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Oh man, after how funny this chapter was, this hit really hard. But this has been one of the moments I've been dying to see since I started reading GC years ago. The next page can't come fast enough now!

As an aside, I love how the phone has the little bismuth symbol on the back. The court can make anything, can't it?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, I actually didn't expect this.

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Good call, dude five days ago! Almost too good........ . . . . .

Regy Rusty posted:

Migishu is clearly Annie's father.

Good estimate, no doubt.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Am I jumping the gun here or does volume 2 seem to be available from Archaia now?

http://store.archaia.com/products/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol.-2%3A-Research.html

I seem to have managed to order a copy at least. We'll see if they issue a refund and apology in a couple of days, if it works I'll drop Tom a donation so he sees some money from it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ooo. If this is legit I want this very badly. Yet at the same time, does Tom see money from this?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ooo. If this is legit I want this very badly. Yet at the same time, does Tom see money from this?

I think Tom only gets the money if you buy it from the topatoco store or directly from him at conventions. Can't really remember.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

1stGear posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court Thread (cellphone static discussion station)

And yet not a single person arrives at the obvious conclusion

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I was re-reading all of Gunnerkrigg today and I stumbled upon a not-so-subtle hint at Red's name in the second Cityface comic. Sorry if this has already been discovered:

Tom posted:

This scene was especially difficult to film and produce. RED worked with us directly on new camera technology that was able to film the kind of scene audiences have never seen before. The cameras did the job perfectly, and we hear Peter Jackson is looking to incorporate the new camera technology from RED in his next project. His comment was, "Red is awesome. She has a strange fixation about her hair though."

I normally stay out of this thread as I try to read the comic in chunks every week or so, but the last update broke my willpower. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

E: Yeah, that's what I get for not reading the thread. I just noticed Annie even calls her Red just after she comes back from the forest.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 21, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that's neat, but to be fair everyone's been calling them Red and Blue since their first appearance.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, I found a folder with bunch of fanart I collected in /co/ back in 2007 or 2008 and thought you guys would like to see it. Parley had just been presented back then, I think.

Many of these are from someone named MK. I think s/he used to email them to Tom, so he probably knows the author.

And this was a popular meme at the time.

And this one, too.

(hope I don't get into trouble for TIMGing so many pics at once :ohdear:)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Saoshyant posted:

Reginald :3:

Related! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, that's neat, but to be fair everyone's been calling them Red and Blue since their first appearance.

She probably needed to be named in the ether.

Macaluso posted:

Reginald :3:

Related! :neckbeard:

I am drat jealous of that Coyote shirt. I've gotta get one of those at some point.