Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Abandoned Luncheonette.

Abandoned Luncheonette is probably my Hall & Oates album and has my two favorite songs on it, Las Vegas Turn Around (The Stewardess Song) and the title track. I would say start here and then go where ever, probably the very best of would be a good point to get into them, since it has all the good singles on it and the maybe Rock and Roll Soul Part 1 after that.

EDIT:

Speaking of where do I star withs, where do I start with Elvis Costello? I have the 2 disc very best of and that's about it. Should I go to his first album and then go forward or is there a certain album that I should start with?

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

screenwritersblues posted:

EDIT:

Speaking of where do I star withs, where do I start with Elvis Costello? I have the 2 disc very best of and that's about it. Should I go to his first album and then go forward or is there a certain album that I should start with?

His first 5 albums are all stone cold classics, but his first 2 are the best. My Aim Is True and This Year's Model are just astoundingly good, so start there.

This Year's Model is usually my pick for my favorite album of all time.

Then if you're interested in some of his stuff a little later on, after those initial run of great albums, I'd hit up King of America. It's the best of his softer, T. Bone Burnett produced stuff.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Don't sleep on Imperial Bedroom either. I feel like Costello was kind of like XTC, in that they both had great early periods, then decided to branch out. Imperial Bedroom is kinda like his English Settlement. Except, XTC handled the next phase of their career so much better :S

Anyway, my "Where do I start?" is with Conrad Schnitzler - I have Rot and Blau, but everything from there seems so confusing, just one limited release after another with unnamed tracks...what are the good ones?

Hyrule Mafia
Nov 9, 2009
So I've only just discovered Cowboy Junkies, but have no idea where to start wading into their discography.

Does anyone have suggestions for 2 or 3 albums that might give me a broad feel for their work?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

It's only missing "She's Gone"

Yeah, but only missing "She's Gone" is like only missing a kidney. Sure, you'll survive and might even do okay, but you're not the same. That song is a stone-cold killer.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Alcest?

Black Mountain?

Yes?

Wes Montgomery? (I have Boss Guitar, love it, especially the lower-tempo numbers)

Squarepusher?

The Acacia Strain?

Portishead?

Violent Femmes?

thanks in advance!!

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 21, 2012

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

the Bunt posted:

Portishead?

Chronological order.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

the Bunt posted:

Black Mountain?

They only have three LP's and one EP, so there's not an intimidating amount to explore. My biased take is that all of it is quality because they're a fantastic loving band. However ...

The most accessible in my opinion, is Wilderness Heart which is their latest record. In the Future has some of their more sprawling epic songs (see "Tyrants" and "Bright Lights") while their first LP carries the frame work found in the later records.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

hatelull posted:

They only have three LP's and one EP, so there's not an intimidating amount to explore. My biased take is that all of it is quality because they're a fantastic loving band. However ...

The most accessible in my opinion, is Wilderness Heart which is their latest record. In the Future has some of their more sprawling epic songs (see "Tyrants" and "Bright Lights") while their first LP carries the frame work found in the later records.
That said, I'm pretty curious about where to start with their bunch of side projects

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ultrafilter posted:

Chronological order.

Portishead has a pretty small discography, so really it shouldn't be hard for anyone curious about them to do this; though weirdly, a lot of people I've known getting into them (including myself) seem to skip the self-titled, which is a drat shame. I'd also like to add that both the live album and Chase The Tear (post-Third single that's never been on an album) shouldn't be missed either.

How do I get into The Kinks?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

The Kink Kronicles is a pretty amazing best-of.

Their definitive album is The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDu3E5zDks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTT0x9WB9oY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JPLYzkRwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4SZRiVaoE

If you like that one, pick up Something Else, which is quirkier but just as compelling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3gX47rHGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtnHrq9Cwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHtQciJG-k

and I'll just stop there.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

the Bunt posted:

Violent Femmes?

Definitely start with the self-titled album for the catchy little numbers that got them played everywhere. There's a nifty deluxe version with some demos and live versions that will give you more of an idea of what they do.

After that check out the brilliant New Times for a more grown-up and weirder take with great productions values, or Hallowed Ground and Why Do Birds Sing? for something a little closer to the original sound. Freak Magnet is newer but still fun, and you can look at 3 or The Blind Leading The Naked if you need more but they're not all that special.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

You really cant go wrong with any of their albums released between 1966-1971. I agree with Wilbur Swain that Village Green Preservation Society is their best, but after that you cant go wrong with Something Else/Arthur/Face to Face/Lola. I like Face To Face the most out of those, but its kinda like saying i like a certain Beatles album the best; they are still all great.

I prefer the mono versions to the stereo version, but im a sucker for mono so that might be more my own taste. Luckily the deluxe versions of all those albums have both mono and stereo mixes included on separate discs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the Bunt posted:

Yes?

There are two generally accepted Serious Starting Places for Yes, three if you're picky. The third is probably my favorite record of theirs, but it's certainly not where to start. The first option is The Yes Album---it's their first record with guitarist Steve "the one who ends up in Asia" Howe, who is hot to show what he can do with six strings, so he plays all over the record. I mean, obviously we're talking about Yes, so everyone is putting many notes on the piece of vinyl, but Howe plays his rear end off. You've probably heard "I've Seen All Good People" off this record on the radio. "Starship Trooper" and "Yours is No Disgrace" are also standouts. The other Serious Starting Place is the album they cut immediately after, having lost their organ-focused keyboardist Tony Kaye and replaced him with session player ("Life on Mars," "Morning Has Broken") and ex-Strawbs keysman Rick "wears spangly capes" Wakeman. The record is called Fragile, and you've almost certainly heard "Roundabout" off of it on some radio station or other. The album is far less cohesive than TYA, owing to each member of the band getting one track to show off with solos and suchlike, but its high points ("Heart of the Sunrise", "Long Distance Runaround", the aforementioned "Roundabout") are arguably higher.

The picky person's starting place is the album directly after that, Close to the Edge. It's quite good, but it's what you are led to fear in terms of prog-rock stereotypes. One record. Three songs, the longest taking all of side one, the other two splitting the back half. Solos, solos and more solos. I still like it though. Just start with one of the other two first.

the Bunt posted:

Squarepusher?

I'd like to get a bit more into this guy as well. I've got two full-lengths and an EP of his. Music Is Rotted One Note was fantastic and may very well be where you'd want to start, and Ultravisitor was quite good. The Numbers Lucent EP I'm not quite as sure about, it sounds a bit more like Aphex Twin leftovers that got stuck in the back of the fridge.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

the Bunt posted:

Yes?

Squarepusher?

thanks in advance!!

I can answer these two. I agree with the above post that you can really start with any of Yes's three big classics, but to me Fragile is far and away the one to start with. First of all, it's one of the only two albums with the full classic lineup, and secondly, it's surprisingly accessible. The "secret" of Yes is that they really weren't that difficult in their prime, they had a lot of talented people and jammed a lot, and on Fragile they wrote some really great songs to match.

As for Squarepusher, I always would recommend Hard Normal Daddy first, as it's one of the few albums he did that I feel is fully successful on its face. It's basically jazz-fusion as seen through the eyes of a drill n' bass guy, but thankfully he keeps a lot of the ear-destroying stuff off the record and focuses on tight, glitched-out grooves. IMO this one makes a better first impression than any of them.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Tell me about The Durutti Column.

As an enormous Smiths nerd (see avatar), I know all about Vini Reilly's involvement in Morrissey's early solo career. I'm also very much a fan of the other major bands on early-80s Factory Records and of postpunk in general. What Durutti Column albums are most accessible to someone coming in from either of those reference frames?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
George Duke and Doseone (outside of cLOUDDEAD) ?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I love Bohren und der Club of Gore but don't know of anything else quite like them. Can anyone give me pointers on where else to go in the large and popular ambient doom jazz noir genre?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I love Bohren und der Club of Gore but don't know of anything else quite like them. Can anyone give me pointers on where else to go in the large and popular ambient doom jazz noir genre?

There's probably people who can point you at jazz outings that fit the bill, but my mind is immediately drawn to drone metal, specifically the pioneers of the genre, Earth. Their work that started the genre is way loud and metallic, but after a hiatus, their work has shifted to slower-than-slow, swampy, country-flavored....well, here's a link. It's a start. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4M_Np53-A0)

On the other hand, where do I start with Gore, then? I would hear more of them.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

where do I start with Gore, then? I would hear more of them.

Southern Lord put out a 2CD comp of their first (and I think most popular?) two albums that's pretty great. I don't know much about them but that seems like the logical place to start, especially if you're listening to Earth.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nadabolt posted:

Southern Lord put out a 2CD comp of their first (and I think most popular?) two albums that's pretty great. I don't know much about them but that seems like the logical place to start, especially if you're listening to Earth.

Sounds reasonable to me!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where do I start with Elliott Smith? I'm familiar with "Needle in the Hay" and "St. Ides Heaven" and enjoy both but that's about it. I honestly only heard of him first back when I saw The Royal Tenenbaums new in theaters.

So yeah, where do I start with the guy (and I wonder why his girlfriend was never named as a suspect for his death, there was some suspicious poo poo going on with that supposed suicide)?

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Where do I start with Elliott Smith? I'm familiar with "Needle in the Hay" and "St. Ides Heaven" and enjoy both but that's about it. I honestly only heard of him first back when I saw The Royal Tenenbaums new in theaters.

So yeah, where do I start with the guy (and I wonder why his girlfriend was never named as a suspect for his death, there was some suspicious poo poo going on with that supposed suicide)?

The two songs you've mentioned are both on his self-titled album so I'd start there if that's what you enjoy. Personally, my favourite album of his is Figure 8, but it's got a somewhat different sound to the songs you've mentioned with more full instrumentation and better production.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Allen Wren posted:

There's probably people who can point you at jazz outings that fit the bill, but my mind is immediately drawn to drone metal, specifically the pioneers of the genre, Earth. Their work that started the genre is way loud and metallic, but after a hiatus, their work has shifted to slower-than-slow, swampy, country-flavored....well, here's a link. It's a start. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4M_Np53-A0)

On the other hand, where do I start with Gore, then? I would hear more of them.

I guess you must be thinking along the right lines, because I'm a huge fan of Earth, especially their earlier stuff. I think Bohren are pretty consistent over their releases and you can't really go wrong with any of them, but in my opinion Sunset Mission is their best work.

Last.fm had a couple of recommendations for similar bands, including The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation and The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, who both have promising sounding names but I haven't listened to properly yet.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Doseone (outside of cLOUDDEAD) ?

Are you just looking at his solo stuff? Hemispheres is probably the best entry point, so give that a try. I personally prefer his work with other people because it tempers his energy a bit. On that front, I think Subtle is his best project, and I'd recommend you listen to A New White to see what they're about.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

the Bunt posted:

Squarepusher?

I'll takea stab, from most best to ehh:

big loada - fun collection of earlyier stuff, not too abrasive. good place to start, but nothin too brilliant
hard normal daddy - first best, where the electro-jazz idea comes full fruition
music is rotted one note - all instruments played live by Tom then mixed. it's a Miles Davis tribute? tight, weird, not too difficult. mercifully short track lenghts.
feed me weird things - first major lp - good stuff but can be aggressive & long winded.
burningn'n tree - earliest stuff, good bare-bones idm
ultravisitor - long-form dextrous & heavy drill-n-b, maybe live? the man's got skills. don't do it all at onnce - at 2cds its a headache maker.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dockertae posted:

The two songs you've mentioned are both on his self-titled album so I'd start there if that's what you enjoy. Personally, my favourite album of his is Figure 8, but it's got a somewhat different sound to the songs you've mentioned with more full instrumentation and better production.

Personally I started with Either/Or, which is now one of my favorite albums ever. It has a similar sound as is self-titled, so I'd honestly check out both.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Boris? I am more interested in their drone/psychedelic stuff than their sludge stuff, but they have like 17 albums or something so I have no idea where to look :iiam:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

david puddy posted:

Boris? I am more interested in their drone/psychedelic stuff than their sludge stuff, but they have like 17 albums or something so I have no idea where to look :iiam:

Flood is their best drone/psych. Amplifier Worship is a very close 2nd.

From there, hit up Feedbacker, Absolutego, Dronevil, Sun Baked Snow Cave. Weaker, but still focused on drone/psych.

Boris' other albums achronologically stem from that base, I think. Amp Worship leads to Akuma No Uta, leads to Heavy Rocks (I), leads to Pink. Flood leads to Altar leads quite nicely into Rainbow.

I disliked Smile and I really don't loving get the appeal of New Album. Everything else I haven't heard. All of the above is my opinion.

I wanna rephrase this whole post. Flood is still their best purely experimental trippy drone album. Amplifier Worship is more of a sludge/doom/hard rock album, but you should still definitely get it, because it's amazing and it's still very out-there and psychedelic.

From there, Boris kinda branched in two, refining their sludge into dirty-rear end cock rock, and expanding their drone into more and more classical psychedelia. The pinnacle of the sludge was probably Pink (although I enjoy Heavy Rocks [1] more, it's less fuzzy and samey) and the pinnacle of the psych was most certainly Rainbow.

So, if you wanna check out the best of Boris' droney psych, get Flood, Feedbacker, Altar, and Rainbow. And also Amp Worship, because it's the bomb. And stay the hell away from New Album.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 28, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

So, if you wanna check out the best of Boris' droney psych, get Flood, Feedbacker, Altar, and Rainbow. And also Amp Worship, because it's the bomb. And stay the hell away from New Album.

Thanks for that, I appreciate the comprehensiveness :haw:
They're playing a show here in late March and I'd like to check them out; the last band I did this for was Mono and they were (and are) absolutely phenomenal

e: these are all awesome, thanks

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 29, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Definitely go and watch them live if you can, I've seen them twice and they were awesome both times. I managed to have a chat with them in the bar later too, they were really friendly even though it seemed like speaking English was a bit of a chore for them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Definitely go and watch them live if you can, I've seen them twice and they were awesome both times. I managed to have a chat with them in the bar later too, they were really friendly even though it seemed like speaking English was a bit of a chore for them.

Yeah I booked my ticket for the show about half way through Feedbacker, listening to Rainbow right now and I am mighty impressed. Also gonna start delving into Sunn O))), Altar was really good and I found a Japanese copy of ØØ Void at a shop today to get me started :3:

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
This is stupidly broad, but I'd like to further introduce myself with Deep House and classic acid house. Any suggestions for good compilations/mixes starting out?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Rubber Biscuit posted:

This is stupidly broad, but I'd like to further introduce myself with Deep House and classic acid house. Any suggestions for good compilations/mixes starting out?

Well for the Acid House stuff you could do a lot worse than Soul Jazz Record's great little comp Acid: Can You Jack?. It came out a few years ago and includes some of the classic tunes along with some lesser heard ones, packed in with a nice wee booklet containing some history of the scene and interviews with the artists involved. Definitely recommended and bound to give you a solid base for further exploration.

While I'm not too sure if it's still in print, it shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

And stay the hell away from New Album.

I like New Album and Attention Please but if you're interested in Boris for drone albums then I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
Also seconding the live show suggestion.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

the Bunt posted:

Alcest?

Écailles de Lune.

They've only released 3 albums thus far. That one is their second one and it is fantastic.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've been playing with the Smart DJ feature from the Zune/XBL service. CAN has been coming up a lot in the Sonic Youth channel. I'm sure they've been mentioned before, but can anyone give me suggestions for some good starting points? Really digging this track called "Vernal Equinox" playing right now.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Chronological. Stop after Future Days if you want.

I will defend that to the day I die.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I know there are only five albums, but any recommendations on where to start with Elbow? This live version of Grounds For Divorce was pretty sweet and I've had their stupidly fun little cover of Independent Women in my collection (and in my head) for a while now but never really tracked them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I know there are only five albums, but any recommendations on where to start with Elbow? This live version of Grounds For Divorce was pretty sweet and I've had their stupidly fun little cover of Independent Women in my collection (and in my head) for a while now but never really tracked them down.

YMMV but I honestly think they're way more interesting live than on an album. The album Grounds for Divorce comes from, The Seldom Seen Kid, is the only one I really dig, though I just found out they had a new one come out last year.

Where do I start with Smog/Bill Callahan? I love the cover of Chosen One that the Flaming Lips did on their Providing Needles for Your Balloons EP, and I like the John Peel Session recording by Bill so I'm probably going to pick up that rarities compilation he has, but I don't really know where to start with all of his other albums.