Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maybe if you weren't blind and you could hold your crack addled hand steady for 5 seconds you could have some better tubes.

e: Best or worst TotP? You decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm liking everything but the green tubes, I wish I could bring the detail out more (they're ribbed, lol) but even the lightest drybrush seems to get into the crevices.

I think I would try a line of fairly heavy dark brown wash to help define the edges of the tubes against the fleshy parts. Sorta like blacklining it to pick them out really.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

S.J. posted:

Maybe if you weren't blind and you could hold your crack addled hand steady for 5 seconds you could have some better tubes.

e: Best or worst TotP? You decide.

My hands are shaking because I just made sweet love to your mother?

Shallow, I did a wash of mud around some of the metal areas, I'll try to sink it around the pipes.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

My hands are shaking because I just made sweet love to your mother?

Shallow, I did a wash of mud around some of the metal areas, I'll try to sink it around the pipes.

If I can paint teeth on skeletons, then you can paint the raised parts of those cables. Don't dry brush, you don't have enough control. Just be careful and try to paint straight lines.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Here are some Plaguebearers. I have another command squad coming in the mail at some point which are getting a flesh tone color scheme.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'm finally getting back on the painting wagon with a new plan to reduce my backlog and slow the rate at which I buy new crap. Basically, if I want to add to my collection, I need to complete the point value of the new thing x2. So far, being disciplined over two weeks saw me finish these:

(Sorry for the picture quality. My reliable little point and shoot was destroyed by the kids and I'm learning the macro function on my wife's Nikon)

Pyre Troll

Blingy the Slag Troll

Totem Hunter

Dip is a wonderful thing.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
:siren: Michael's has a 50% off coupon this weekend only. :siren:

http://weeklyad.michaels.com/

I got a sweet Ottlamp for $50. It's like a completely different world at my painting desk now.
So if you've got any big item purchases I'd go get it now. I noticed they had air compressors over with the cake decorating stuff, I may go grab one to try out.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I'd like to make use of that 50% off, but looking at their website I don't see anything I'm in the market for. Clay shapers or a desk lamp maybe.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Manifest posted:

:siren: Michael's has a 50% off coupon this weekend only. :siren:

http://weeklyad.michaels.com/

I got a sweet Ottlamp for $50. It's like a completely different world at my painting desk now.
So if you've got any big item purchases I'd go get it now. I noticed they had air compressors over with the cake decorating stuff, I may go grab one to try out.

They have that coupon every week.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They have that coupon every week.

Oh, well I feel silly.
Still pretty stoked on my lamp.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Well, it's usually 40% off actually, so it's not totally fruitless.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I've been lurking this thread a while, and I hope this isn't a stupid question -- is there any kind of matte finish/coat that I can apply without the use of an airbrush? Someday I will make that investment, but it wouldn't make sense for me at the moment.

My minis get pretty beat up sometimes, and they're not the nicest things, but I don't want them to get globby with repaintings.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Testor's dullcote comes in spray cans. Stay away from that dreadful, overpriced GW Purity Seal poo poo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Roctavian posted:

I've been lurking this thread a while, and I hope this isn't a stupid question -- is there any kind of matte finish/coat that I can apply without the use of an airbrush? Someday I will make that investment, but it wouldn't make sense for me at the moment.

My minis get pretty beat up sometimes, and they're not the nicest things, but I don't want them to get globby with repaintings.

Buy a can of Testor's glosscote and Testor's Dullcote. Use the gloss first, then the dull and it should be pretty well sealed.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So if I wanted to (roughly) get a skin tone like the actor who played Sayid on Lost has ... how would you do that?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ye Worse User-name posted:

So if I wanted to (roughly) get a skin tone like the actor who played Sayid on Lost has ... how would you do that?

http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=3680

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=3680

Awesome. Now to see if I can actually do it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Haha, I hear you there. Everytime I try something new, I find a guide and think "yeah we'll see about that"

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Never as easy as it is in the instructions/tutorial! I have managed to put some advice from here and in other places into decent effect though so I can't be a complete lost cause. :v:

Has anyone tried the Vallejo metal medium?

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Has anyone tried the Vallejo metal medium?

I do. It works really well for making silver, steel, or gunmetal colors, but I am still having trouble finding the right amount to use for things like brass, or copper. It works fairly well, but takes some tinkering to get the amount of metallic right for anything but basic metal colors.

It is exactly what its name says too. It's paint medium with some metal flakes in so keep that in mind if you try it out. It lightens the color in the same fashion adding medium does.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Roctavian posted:

If you use Future floor wax, which is an acrylic gloss clear and then throw any of the acrylic matte finishes over it it works wonderfully. Plus you can get a liter of the floor wax for about $5, it will shoot through an airbrush without being thinned, and it cleans up with windex. Good stuff.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Chugging along

Amazing how fast you can get a unit near done once you figure out a scheme

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Imp Boy posted:

If you use Future floor wax, which is an acrylic gloss clear and then throw any of the acrylic matte finishes over it it works wonderfully. Plus you can get a liter of the floor wax for about $5, it will shoot through an airbrush without being thinned, and it cleans up with windex. Good stuff.

On a related note, I have two bottles of this stuff in the US, but I haven't seen it in Canada in the last two years. What do Canadians do?

Chugging along

Amazing how fast you can get a unit near done once you figure out a scheme

Agh, please change the arc marker. I like the scheme a lot (shade and highlight the tubes), but the front arc markers looks super tacky. I think whacky glowy green goop for the front arc is an awesome idea, but push some darks in there and define the blobs a little bit with some shading and highlighting, it'll look like fuckin ninja turtles goo. Which is awesome.

Also, it could be that you have reddish gravel+neon green rim, which looks pretty bad in contrast like that. Draw some dark green into the cracks of the gravel or do something to mellow the clash.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 20, 2012

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Apparently it is sold as Johnson's Clear in Canada. I found this site from a scale modeler that gives a good rundown of the regional variants of the stuff: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
x-post: painted some Legion heavies.

Obviously, the bases aren't finished (it's too wet to use aerosol sealer in spring in Seattle, who'd guess), ignore that and the consequent weird feet that will be trampling brush in the final version.

The spikes and bony plates need something to make them pop, but all of the highlight colors I've tried have looked like poo poo most of the time - their current highest high is a mix of the base grey and a light fleshtone, but I can't figure out where to go from there.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I'm going to try out that Testor's soon. Maybe not too soon, if it's apparently "too wet in Seattle to use aerosol sealer" right now (I am in Seattle)? When can I tell when it's appropriate? I heard that temperature can also be a problem with this stuff.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
You're looking for below 40% humidity (lower is better), temperature range of about 45-90 for optimal performance. Outside of that zone, you take the risk of your sealant fogging up and making your models look terrible. The usual fix for that is to wait until the weather gets better and then respray them. 9 times out of 10, that'll fix it (the solvent in the spray dissolves the previous layer and lets it dry correctly).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

stabbington posted:

You're looking for below 40% humidity (lower is better), temperature range of about 45-90 for optimal performance. Outside of that zone, you take the risk of your sealant fogging up and making your models look terrible. The usual fix for that is to wait until the weather gets better and then respray them. 9 times out of 10, that'll fix it (the solvent in the spray dissolves the previous layer and lets it dry correctly).

Brisbane rarely drops below 50% humidity, and provided its not raining, like that time, i havnt had any problems.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hey fellow Brisgoon, I am currently constricting a warhammer tabletop on my balcony and managed to PVA a heap of sand to it which dried super quick in our killer sun :(

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

dishwasherlove posted:

Hey fellow Brisgoon, I am currently constricting a warhammer tabletop on my balcony and managed to PVA a heap of sand to it which dried super quick in our killer sun :(

Meanwhile in the blasted wastelands of the frozen north, it's a balmy -12 c and I cannot spray outdoors.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
My little men keeping getting random bits of their paint rubbed off from being moved around when I'm painting them. How do I go about giving them a varnish between layers? I don't want to make them all chunky, but I was reading it's what some people do when they're doing a super long paint job.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Some people mount their mini on a plinth to paint it on so you don't touch them with your greasy fingers.

Examples are old empty GW paint pots or the like.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

:sun::hf::sweatdrop:

Sup Brisgoon, what side? north or south?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

My little men keeping getting random bits of their paint rubbed off from being moved around when I'm painting them. How do I go about giving them a varnish between layers? I don't want to make them all chunky, but I was reading it's what some people do when they're doing a super long paint job.

I mount the mini (usually on a base already but sometimes not) on a pill bottle lid with blutac, hot glue, or in some cases a little super glue. That way I can put the lid on the actual pill bottle for painting and have a convienient handle to hold, and when I'm not painting I can take the lid off so the mini isn't standing on a topheavy pillar and doesn't fall over.

Hot glue peels off pretty easy usually at the end so that is another bonus.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Agh, please change the arc marker. I like the scheme a lot (shade and highlight the tubes), but the front arc markers looks super tacky. I think whacky glowy green goop for the front arc is an awesome idea, but push some darks in there and define the blobs a little bit with some shading and highlighting, it'll look like fuckin ninja turtles goo. Which is awesome.

No dice on the front arc markers, I like the way they are and I'd have to redo my whole army! But the bases aren't done yet, they've been soaked with scorched brown but I go over them with devlan mud and drybrush desert yellow then bleached bone before they get dead grass.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Some people mount their mini on a plinth to paint it on so you don't touch them with your greasy fingers.

Examples are old empty GW paint pots or the like.
I used to use cut up lengths of a broom handle, but with the change to finecast bottle corks and paperclips are good. Pin the clip to the arm or foot or whatever with a shallow hole and some glue, then stick the clip into the cork.

Old spray can lids are good for 60mm bases.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Cross posting finished empire great cannon

Everything needs a base.

Buffalo squeeze fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
^^^^^ That base is really cool.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

I finished my Master of the Forge!

If you couldn't tell, I also made him removable!

Right now I'm painting 10 of the 2nd edition "I love my bolter" Marines for a devastator squad, and hoowee are these models low on detail.

This is so awesome, it hurts.

My next troop models I'm gonna do are Flash gits from the same era. I've been collecting the "mek guns" from the different blister packs so I have proper fancy guns for their snazz guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Noob post incoming! :siren: bhsman here are those pictures you ordered :siren:

This is my first real "effort" plasticman attempt (after a beginner Ultramarine and a few experiments). It's 99% done. Sorry about the quality of the pictures and the lighting, I had to borrow the camera and shoot them in a hurry, so it was a beggars can't be choosers sort of situation. Christ I'm making excuses and I haven't even gotten to the paintjob itself yet :ohdear:

I'm still going to go over the shoulder decal with some red to make a facsimile of the Bran Redmaw company logo. I realize it's still too glossy. A matte coat would fix that, right?

• Locked thread