Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

hobocrunch posted:

After playing with pKaya (Hey, I'm one of the cool kids!) for one entire day and then Morvahna once, I want to bend my Kaya model in half for how hopelessly boring she is. Mohsar just sounds so awesomely fun to play with and I won't just commit to Salt Pillars, I'll do suicide to make them work. I am very new to the game but what basically drew me here was how cool the game can be if you want to make it that way.

I've got a Shadowhorn Satyr, Druids of Orboros, Wold Guardian, and I'm going to attempt to move units out of control ranges and make it hell for people to use them properly. Thinking about getting another Shadowhorn also.

Don't quote me on this but I think mixing it up with a Shadowhorn/Gnarlhorn combo is a pretty respected way to run a Mohsar list to take advantage of pillars. Back me up goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

stabbington posted:

I painted some heavies.

God drat, these things look rad as hell.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

hobocrunch posted:

After playing with pKaya (Hey, I'm one of the cool kids!) for one entire day and then Morvahna once, I want to bend my Kaya model in half for how hopelessly boring she is. Mohsar just sounds so awesomely fun to play with and I won't just commit to Salt Pillars, I'll do suicide to make them work. I am very new to the game but what basically drew me here was how cool the game can be if you want to make it that way.

I've got a Shadowhorn Satyr, Druids of Orboros, Wold Guardian, and I'm going to attempt to move units out of control ranges and make it hell for people to use them properly. Thinking about getting another Shadowhorn also.

If you haven't already, take a look at this thing for some ideas on how to make the most of pKaya's abilities. She's not a devastating warlock, especially at high points values, but she's not as bad as is sometimes believed either.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought the Cryx Battlegroup and No Quarter #40 today after watching some guys at my FLGS play. Sadly the store was out of, the rulebook, the Cryx armybook, and the Cryx deck. So I have no idea what to expand into. The guys at the store said to just play a few games with what I have first though anyways.

Any suggestions?

For your first few games it might be best if you make it "Jacks only" to get the hang of Jacks. Then expand up to 20 or 25 points and add in an infantry unit /solo (Skarlock thrall and mechanithralls would be the standard thing to do).

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Working on a Kraye 35pt, but have some serious issues picking exactly what to use.

code:
Captain Jeremiah Kraye (*6pts)
* Charger (4pts)
* Hunter (6pts)
* Hunter (6pts)
* Cyclone (9pts)
* Hammersmith (8pts)
Rangers (4pts)
Rangers (4pts)
That's a tier list, because it gives everything AD. Not sure on how viable that is, though, and I don't need to stick to tier lists if anyone's advice goes outside that. I do have Reinholdt, a Squire, Strangeways.. Black 13th might want in there, and I think that's still tier.

Basically, Rangers make me not need Guided Fire most of the time. Iffy on Charger vs Sentinel, Sentinel seems like it would eat infantry alive. Hammersmith is for feat turn, though I wish I had Strangeways to give him Evasive.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My Trollblood War Wagon shipped. Gonna paint the hell out of that bitch. :hellyeah:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I played in a 35 point SR2012 tournament on Saturday. I don't think any of my opponents had less than 30 guys on the board. The lists had to be tier lists. (Which sucked for me, because I don't own Kriel Warriors.)

As a Trollblood player, I had a really hard time playing SR2012 due to the slowness of my army. I just could not get out to the objectives before I was getting jammed. (Or eMagnus' feat, or Zherkova's feat, or eDenny's feat, or whatnot)

One guy I played had about 30+ bane thralls with Goreshade. Another opponent was 30+ Exemplar weaponmasters with eKreoss. I played against an eDenny army with all these ghost guys setting me on fire, and Borka with my 1 magical weapon to fend them off.

Needless to say, I got my rear end kicked. I went 1/4. Troll Tier Lists that allow Fennblades are both two sides of the same coin. Neither of them allows the Krielstone, so the eDenny list destroyed me.

I had no problem killing lots of guys, I could never make it to my objectives. eMadrak's feat with pseudo-weaponmaster Fennblades killed 14 exemplars in one turn. When I played Borka, my opponents struggled to kill my def 15 (+2 against charge)(+2 against ranged/magic) Fennblades.

I was just blown away by Infantrymachine, which I have never played against.

How are you supposed to deal with 30+ weaponmasters that have a longer threat range than you? Oh, and they are already on the objectives they need to win.

Rok's Berserk + pMadrak's Feat Overtake sounds tasty, but ... you are going to be constrained by the 7 min turn + 3 min extension.

Arrggghhh.

... but at least my Trolls looked good!

Edit: I was totally going to kill like 15+ Bane Thralls with eMadrak himself, but then I found out he only gains fury for killing living models. So, he only killed 5 (game was going to end at the end of my turn anyway.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 20, 2012

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

dexefiend posted:

... but at least my Trolls looked good!

I think it is less that Infantrymachine is unstoppable, and more that tier theme lists are largely poo poo. I use them as a starting point for how to play a caster, but they vary between completely useless and stupid-good. The power creep among the lists is crazy, too.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
^^^

I actually learned a ton at the tournament, which is probably more important than anything at this point for me.

I also met Feeple!

I totally would have been able to kill Zherkova with my 8 Blood Furied Champion Swings, if only I would have been able to bring a Fell Caller Hero to give them +2 to hit. I was off by 1 on the hit roll 4 times.

I don't think he expected the Champions running, and then using eMadrak's feat to get them to swing.

It was a great time, I was just shocked by Infantrymachine. I learned a LOT about Trollbloods, and also the comparative disadvantage of a speed 5 army in SR2012.

Most of the scenarios had multiple objectives, where a player scored by being on the objective on the opponent's side of the board. There was just no way I was going to make it over there, so I concentrated on sitting on their objectives.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bought my Battlebox today, shits awesome, only question is looking at Kreoss, his weapon is a bit bent, what't the best way to reshape this without ruining it? warm water?

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Flipswitch posted:

Bought my Battlebox today, shits awesome, only question is looking at Kreoss, his weapon is a bit bent, what't the best way to reshape this without ruining it? warm water?

Just run Me under hot water, bend My weapon back into shape and then dip Me in cold water to make it hold.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just caught on what your username is, haha. Cheers mate.:catholic:

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Just caught on what your username is, haha. Cheers mate.:catholic:

Everytime Kreoss posts, I wish I was Irusk. Too awesome.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Just run Me under hot water, bend My weapon back into shape and then dip Me in cold water to make it hold.
I don't know if I should applaud or be disturbed.

I just noticed that Cygnar's only power booster is on a character so you can only run one list with a jack marshaled jack with 2 "focus" if character restricted. You would think they would have the most of them.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

I don't know if I should applaud or be disturbed.

I just noticed that Cygnar's only power booster is on a character so you can only run one list with a jack marshaled jack with 2 "focus" if character restricted. You would think they would have the most of them.

Other than the Trencher Commandos, he is also our only spray attack as well I think.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

jhunter46 posted:

Other than the Trencher Commandos, he is also our only spray attack as well I think.

The master gunner has a spray also, but gently caress that guy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Any of the Trollblood players have experience with Scattergunners as a second line in a jam list?

I might just have to proxy them this week, but they seem kinda useful at the moment.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Shooting through your own dudes is incredibly powerful. They really are great, but super high defense infantry can be a problem.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Khador question:

In an Old Witch army, what circumstances would make a Greylord Ternion and/or Great Bears well worth their points? Assume I've got two good jacks and [EDIT: a full unit of] Nyss + UA at minimum.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 20, 2012

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

dexefiend posted:

Any of the Trollblood players have experience with Scattergunners as a second line in a jam list?

I might just have to proxy them this week, but they seem kinda useful at the moment.

Their low RAT hurts them, but with the UA they're alot better. If you run them with pgrissel, you can potentially aim-shoot them, and still move them at the end of the turn.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Khador question:

In an Old Witch army, what circumstances would make a Greylord Ternion and/or Great Bears well worth their points? Assume I've got two good jacks and Nyss + UA at minimum.

The Great Bears are useful as independant assassins, that's the role they fill in any list. Not sure the Old Witch needs them as her spells/Scrapjack can do that, but maybe!

Gerylords.. um. They are good for providing concealment! I think I would rather have more Nyss.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Raiche posted:

The Great Bears are useful as independant assassins, that's the role they fill in any list. Not sure the Old Witch needs them as her spells/Scrapjack can do that, but maybe!

Gerylords.. um. They are good for providing concealment! I think I would rather have more Nyss.

Does the Greylord ice cage stationary spell shut down Molik Karn or dudes with countercharge? Battlecollege makes that ability sound pretty useful but I don't know what the range is like.

I meant a full unit of Nyss, by the way, but that I didn't have anything in addition to the Nyss + Jacks.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Does the Greylord ice cage stationary spell shut down Molik Karn or dudes with countercharge? Battlecollege makes that ability sound pretty useful but I don't know what the range is like.

I meant a full unit of Nyss, by the way, but that I didn't have anything in addition to the Nyss + Jacks.

Yes, something that is stationary is completely shut down. It has a DEF of 5, can't engage, etc etc. If they can't spend a fury on their turn to shake it they won't even get a turn (there was a brief pre-MKII Hordes period where they forgot to give Beasts a way to shake stationary, woo!)

I don't want to lie by claiming to know the range/stats for the Greylords spell, but I recall it being a little sucky. I'm not sure I would bring them for a higher point game, but in low point ranges it could be pretty awesome to shut someone down like that.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Greylords are way better than people think. The thing is, moderate DEF is something that can give Khador problems. Even one Greylord landing a single ice cage shot can solve the hitting problem for an entire army.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

These plastic Warjacks go together like a drat dream. Awesome stuff. I can see some of the metal miniatures being a pain in the rear end though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

How does this 35-point list look? (I won't be replacing either the Kodiak or the War Dog any time soon; the former looks too cool and the latter was a Valentine's Day present from my primary competitor. Everything else is up for debate.)

Old Witch
-Kodiak
-Behemoth
-War Dog
10x Nyss Hunters w/ Valachev
Greylord Ternion

Can anyone look up the ranges on the Greylord Ternion spells for me? I like the models enough to get them without proxying unless the range really is trash (8" on the Cage is the minimum if I'm to have any shot at shutting down Counter Charge/Admonition fuckers).

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 20, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ternions are definitely worth their points in almost any list. Magic shotgun sprays are really good, and like everyone said the ice cages are situationally useful. Just keep them spread apart so one AOE doesnt kill the whole unit (they are 1 wound each).

Their smoke can procc old witches prowl, giving her stealth. Keep them around til mid to late game and they almost always prove their value. The first time you deal with something incorporeal with them youll realize how good of a little toolbox they are.

That list is solid, although I think most experienced khador players would probably tell you to just run 1 jack at 35.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

That list is solid, although I think most experienced khador players would probably tell you to just run 1 jack at 35.

Yeah, I'll try it a few different ways. Hopefully by the time I get 35 painted I can afford to either swap Kodiak + doggie for a Gun Carriage or Behemoth for a Death Star.

I appreciate all of your help! The spell ranges were pasted in IRC so I'm good on that end.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah, I'll try it a few different ways. Hopefully by the time I get 35 painted I can afford to either swap Kodiak + doggie for a Gun Carriage or Behemoth for a Death Star.

I appreciate all of your help! The spell ranges were pasted in IRC so I'm good on that end.

It's a good base of things you'll want, and not a bad list, and I don't have much time to comment though I think I'd probably try and run this instead:

Zevanna Agha, the Old Witch of Khador (*3pts)
* Spriggan (10pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
* Koldun Kapitan Valachev (2pts)
Greylord Ternion (Leader and 2 Grunts) (4pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
* 1 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeer (1pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

And then you can easily add a second 'jack at 50.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 20, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Youve got the right idea with Nyss with Old witch for sure. DEF 15 + iron flesh is pretty ridonk.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dexefiend posted:

^^^

I actually learned a ton at the tournament, which is probably more important than anything at this point for me.

I also met Feeple!

I totally would have been able to kill Zherkova with my 8 Blood Furied Champion Swings, if only I would have been able to bring a Fell Caller Hero to give them +2 to hit. I was off by 1 on the hit roll 4 times.

I don't think he expected the Champions running, and then using eMadrak's feat to get them to swing.

It was a great time, I was just shocked by Infantrymachine. I learned a LOT about Trollbloods, and also the comparative disadvantage of a speed 5 army in SR2012.

Most of the scenarios had multiple objectives, where a player scored by being on the objective on the opponent's side of the board. There was just no way I was going to make it over there, so I concentrated on sitting on their objectives.
I heard my name, and it sounds like...home.

I brought Skorne on a test trial out there, and went 2-3, and one was due to just not rolling 6s consistently. :/

With Trolls, yeah, running around at SPD 5 isn't always the coolest ever, and don't let that tourney get you down. Theme Forces are really gimmicky I've found, and there's a reason everyone was all Kreoss2 up in there.Basically with Trolls it's best to cast Rush from the Axer on some big badasses like the Earthborn and then toss a wall near him from Janissa. Toeing him in just close enough can often give you the turn you need to bring your army to bear.

SR2012 really loves it some jam lists, and the one advantage you get as a Troll player is that Tough can gently caress up a plan like nothing else. You can bring some really infantry-heavy lists nowadays thanks to the likes of Grissel and Madrak, and you'll have to start making Tough rolls at some point, right? I have Troll friends who disagree, but I think the Bomber's your best Heavy. 2 big blast AoEs (NOT ROF2, 2!) P+S 14 claws. An animus that protects Dygmies from getting caught unawares. He only does EVERYTHING.

tl;dr - It gets better.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Feeple posted:

I think the Bomber's your best Heavy.

My planned Gunnbjorn tier list for the next time this tier tournament thing comes up:

Army Name: Gunnbjorn says "gently caress You"
Trollbloods
Tier 4: The Big Bang
35+5 points, 16 models

Captain Gunnbjorn +5 points
* 3x Dire Troll Bomber 9 points each
* Troll Impaler 5 points

Thumper Crew 3 points
Thumper Crew 3 points
Troll Whelps 2 points

Additional Rules

For every two units, place one trench template.
Thumper Crew units gain Advance Deployment.
Models in Gunnbjorn's battlegroup gain +2 SPD during your first turn.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Can anyone explain to me what Feora(?)and Reznik are like for Menoth? They look awesome and I'm tempted to pick them up at some point in the future.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Any guys want to do a Vassal game tonight? Shoot me a PM or whatever.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
You've got 1 real problem matchup, and that's Menoth. Because Menoth Cheats. For everyone else, why must you do something disgusting like field 3 Bombers?

Anyway, I don't know the Troll Tiers, but if they forbid key parts of the Troll game plan, like Fell Callers, the Kriel Stone and Stone Scribes, then they're not really good indicators of what Trolls can do. For one, most of the Troll Infantry you would use for jamming stuff are effectively Speed 6 (Kriel Warriors & Fennblades really) and Trolls in general have some pretty deceptive threat ranges. This is the faction with Fennblades, Digmys and Tuffalos after all.

Just don't give up and keep playing, because every extra Troll player out there is one more to make my Cygnar friend cringe and weep about the weight of the world.

Sulecrist posted:

Old Witch and Ternion Stuff

Most of the Ternion stuff has been covered, but I'd like to add that between the Ternion and Old Witch you can create some impressive rolling smoke walls centred on Kayazy Assassins, Winter Guard or Nyss, to block LOS to the rest of your force. Considering that Old Witch is probably the best control caster in Khador, adding more elements of gently caress You to the mix is always good (incidentally, I think the Gun Carriage also works really well with her as a source of grief and rough terrain).

Also, always consider taking Gorman with Old Witch. Greylords are nice, but Gorman's smoke is a lot less conditional, he's cheaper and he doesn't have to face the Old Witch to drop his smoke. He can also camoflauge Scrap Jack if need be.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Can anyone explain to me what Feora(?)and Reznik are like for Menoth? They look awesome and I'm tempted to pick them up at some point in the future.

Uhm... awesome? Both (well, all three) are solid casters.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

hello tharrr.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ah that's pretty sweet at least. I think I'll pick up the army book at some point to read into these so I can come up with some tactics, as it stands I'm still learning what's in my battlebox and was curious on how the casters differ from each other barring their feats.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Ah that's pretty sweet at least. I think I'll pick up the army book at some point to read into these so I can come up with some tactics, as it stands I'm still learning what's in my battlebox and was curious on how the casters differ from each other barring their feats.

Check out Battle College! It's a wiki that's got relatively accurate information on every model in the game. They don't post stats, but they post information about spell lists and abilities.

e: Just realized it isn't in the OP! That will change shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Now that is very handy, cheers SJ!

• Locked thread