Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Did you make a plasma pistol out of a plasma gun? It looks big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Finally got to painting my lumpy mars bar base today. It's turning out quite nicely but I can't take a good photo to save my life.

There's going to be grass and foliage over the brown layer, but I wanted a really nice earthy affect underneath it. First time using vallejo pigments and I really love the affect I got. It looks so much more like scale ground than paint would have given. I have some different types of moss drying to go on it when it's all painted up. I've also added staining to the rocks. This is an excellent break from painting Thousand Sons marines but still getting to paint.

Have at me goons.

I'm doing a little set of blogs on how I progress through it here http://lethemonster.blogspot.com if anyone is worse than me at making things (lol) and wants to see how I do it. If not you can read about me shooting modelling clay into my eye.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 20, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Looks great. What colors/pigments did you use? I'm having some trouble deciding on an earth color for my bases. The models are purple with gold, grey, and green as secondary colors, so very cold colors, so I am using ancient ruins/temple style bases with a yellowy sandstone sort of color with autumn leaves and foliage and it works really well, but I need a color for the bases that are actually dirt rather than stone/temple.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Dominion posted:

Looks great. What colors/pigments did you use? I'm having some trouble deciding on an earth color for my bases. The models are purple with gold, grey, and green as secondary colors, so very cold colors, so I am using ancient ruins/temple style bases with a yellowy sandstone sort of color with autumn leaves and foliage and it works really well, but I need a color for the bases that are actually dirt rather than stone/temple.

I'm using Vallejo pigments. I have natural umber and dark umber for my dirt there. Some dark ochre or burnt sienna would mix in really nicely with one of those to give an undertone that matches the autumn affect.

I know MIG pigments are really good but with Vallejo where I am you get lots more for less cash per bottle and I haven't noticed any different in quality for what I'm doing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

Noob post incoming! :siren: bhsman here are those pictures you ordered :siren:

This is my first real "effort" plasticman attempt (after a beginner Ultramarine and a few experiments). It's 99% done. Sorry about the quality of the pictures and the lighting, I had to borrow the camera and shoot them in a hurry, so it was a beggars can't be choosers sort of situation. Christ I'm making excuses and I haven't even gotten to the paintjob itself yet :ohdear:

I'm still going to go over the shoulder decal with some red to make a facsimile of the Bran Redmaw company logo. I realize it's still too glossy. A matte coat would fix that, right?

The fact that this is one of your first real attempts at painting a model and you more or less have the basics of highlighting down is pretty impressive. :) The only stuff I can see that needs work (I noticed that some stuff, like the wolf tails, are unfinished so I'll just assume that's part of the 1% left to complete) is the face - which may also be a WIP - and the gold. You've got the shinyness down but it looks a bit flat and needs some shading. There are two ways of doing this: simply going over with a wash of Devlan Mud or even Gryphonne Sepia and then either leaving it as-is (but not before cleaning up any areas where the wash might've spilled over, of course) or, in my case, I basecoat with Tin Bitz and then go over it with Shining Gold, leaving the usual places unpainted to provide some shading.

Other than that, though, it looks pretty good for a first model. :bravo:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

This is my first real "effort" plasticman attempt (after a beginner Ultramarine and a few experiments). It's 99% done. Sorry about the quality of the pictures and the lighting, I had to borrow the camera and shoot them in a hurry, so it was a beggars can't be choosers sort of situation. Christ I'm making excuses and I haven't even gotten to the paintjob itself yet :ohdear:

I'm still going to go over the shoulder decal with some red to make a facsimile of the Bran Redmaw company logo. I realize it's still too glossy. A matte coat would fix that, right?

For a first paint job dude that is pretty nice, from the photographs, it looks like you've got a good sense of brush control down, could do with better photos as you've said though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominion posted:

Did you make a plasma pistol out of a plasma gun? It looks big.

Mine? No, just the standard plasma pistol from the box. It's in the foreground of the two shots where you can clearly see it which might be why it looks huge.

bhsman, the wolf tail (singular in this case) is where I tried to make it solid black fur with some grey highlights to add a bit of texture. I agree that it didn't come out the best. I'm also not super happy with the waist pelt but there I at least like the color scheme better. Any suggestions?

I'll take your advice about the gold, and as far as the face, what I did was put on Tallarn Flesh and then wash it with black. At that point I thought it looked decent, if pretty heavily suntanned. :v: What else should I do? Maybe put some flesh highlights back on top after the wash? Were you talking about anything besides the skin color?

Thanks, everyone, since I seem to be on the right track I'll keep painting and also keep my eye out for a better camera. :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Nuts, cinnamon and chocolate shavings. Yummy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Thanks, everyone, since I seem to be on the right track I'll keep painting and also keep my eye out for a better camera. :v:
My own photography isn't the greatest but if you're lacking a lightbox like I am, what I'd recommend is taking shooting on a flat, one-tone surface near a window. Pan the camera back a bit too as I find it makes the work look better easier to see the mini and make out detail as opposed to it being "in your face" as such.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

Mine? No, just the standard plasma pistol from the box. It's in the foreground of the two shots where you can clearly see it which might be why it looks huge.

bhsman, the wolf tail (singular in this case) is where I tried to make it solid black fur with some grey highlights to add a bit of texture. I agree that it didn't come out the best. I'm also not super happy with the waist pelt but there I at least like the color scheme better. Any suggestions?

I'll take your advice about the gold, and as far as the face, what I did was put on Tallarn Flesh and then wash it with black. At that point I thought it looked decent, if pretty heavily suntanned. :v: What else should I do? Maybe put some flesh highlights back on top after the wash? Were you talking about anything besides the skin color?

For fur (unless I'm doing something unique like a characters fur cape) what I do is basecoat Khemri Brown, heavily drybrush with Dheneb Stone (maybe with a light white drybrush along the edges) and wash it all with Devlan Mud. For black fur I'd recommend basecoating with black paint, picking up some P3 Coal Black and drybrushing with that, then a light drybrush of Codex Grey before washing it all with Badab Black.

For faces, well, I think Hell Diver would be the best guy to talk to here, but what I do is basecoat with either Tallarn Flesh or Dwarf Flesh, wash once or twice with that Ogre Flesh wash or sometimes Devlan Mud or even Leviathan Purple wash if I want an older, more wizened look. Then I relayer (ie, avoid crevices) with a 1:1 mix of the base flesh color and Elf Flesh, then go over and highlight with a 1:1 mix of Elf Flesh and white paint.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I am an idiot. Ignore.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
What the gently caress is that and where can I get one?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
so, i got a bunch of sob but i dont they dont have backpacks... will space marine back packs work or are they to big? Anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Yeah that looks :rock: but how big is it and how much does it cost?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kommando posted:

:sun::hf::sweatdrop:

Sup Brisgoon, what side? north or south?

Near the CBD. Don't really game at any of the clubs, just play Mordheim at Good Games.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JerryLee posted:

Looks good, and yeah, matte will flatten it right down. You can get proper Redmaw decals on the Forgeworld SW transfer sheet if you're willing to spend a few quid.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

Yeah that looks :rock: but how big is it and how much does it cost?

Dominion posted:

What the gently caress is that and where can I get one?

I wish I knew, it popped up on my Tumblr :smith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

crime fighting hog posted:

Why would you do that?! :negative:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

crime fighting hog posted:

T'would appear to be a sculpture called God of Sorrows by Johnson Ting (First entry under Other). It's a foot tall.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Looks like an excellent concept of a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

AgentF posted:

Looks like an excellent concept of a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

Not enough boobs and/or dicks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fix posted:

It's a foot tall.

Chaos Titan.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love the Supreme Kommandant Irusk model from Warmachine. I sculpted a beard on him and went to town. He's going to be the centerpiece of my Khador army, I think. It's like the Most Interesting Man in the World is leading my army.

You can't see it in the picture but he's partially standing on a broken Cygnar symbol. It's an awesome sculpt.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I think a few goons signed up for the Iron Painter thing. The first round started, so if you're like me and forget poo poo easily, here's a reminder:
http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?29136-IP8-round-1

Theme: "START YOUR ENGINE"
Deadline: 11:59pm PST, Monday March 5th

And here's this:

9. MINIATURE CHOICE This is completely to the participants discretion. You can use any miniature from any manufacturer, or even one you have had sculpted should you want. Again let me emphasize, we are going on trust that you are starting an UNPAINTED mini. Lets just have fun and be honest.

I have no clue what I am going to paint for this. The closest things I have on hand with engines are warjacks and space marine stuff.

Verdugo posted:

I absolutely love the Supreme Kommandant Irusk model from Warmachine. I sculpted a beard on him and went to town. He's going to be the centerpiece of my Khador army, I think. It's like the Most Interesting Man in the World is leading my army.

You can't see it in the picture but he's partially standing on a broken Cygnar symbol. It's an awesome sculpt.

Irusk with a beard owns. I might try that on my eIrusk too.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 21, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

!amicable posted:

I think a few goons signed up for the Iron Painter thing. The first round started, so if you're like me and forget poo poo easily, here's a reminder:

Wooo! Go get em, goons!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So by "going on trust" does that mean there's no WIP pic requirement, and you don't have to post a pic of the unpainted mini before you start?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
WIP pics are pretty easily staged if you really wanted to.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

!amicable posted:

I have no clue what I am going to paint for this. The closest things I have on hand with engines are warjacks and space marine stuff.

Awesome, I have plenty of warjack bits and boilers lying around so I should be able to get something together. Now I just need to figure out what...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I guess I'm gonna finish this Khador army I started or something.

Does anyone have a recipe for fake blood?

Like, a LOT of fake blood that can drip off of things etc.
I need to absolutely coat something in it.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-paint-blood.html

Spent some time with some oil paints working on getting some more highlighting onto my scythean's claws, definitely brightened them up and gave them some of the sheen I was looking for. I always forget how easy it is to blend with those things. You pay a price for it in terms of drying time/general unfriendliness of media, but as far as using them as final touch glazes and such over acrylics, they're outstanding.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The problem is that I need the blood to be less splatter like, almost like an ooze.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Haha - try and call it a chocolate bar now!!!

Dried herbs are a really good mini foliage but I have to pour them on and run away because some of them give me a psuedo-allergic reaction. I don't want to be sick all over my paint desk :<

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 21, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lethemonster posted:

Dried herbs are a really good mini foliage but I have to pour them on and run away because some of them give me a psuedo-allergic reaction. I don't want to be sick all over my paint desk :<

That'd just make it Nurgle themed :eng101:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The problem is that I need the blood to be less splatter like, almost like an ooze.

Mix an ink with something gloopy? Perhaps some kind of varnish?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Pilgrimski posted:

I made a BloodBowl board with them, here's a link to the project log: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?311541-Bloodbowl-Pitch-using-Hirst-Arts

Was there anything specific you wanted to know? As Silhouette says, there's a lot of info on the Hirst Arts website, from tutorials to loads of examples in the competitions they run. If you do a bit of google fu, you can probably find some amazing dungeon bowl boards, which might inspire you.

So this isn't an empty post (and for those who don't want to see step by step on Warseer):

How durable is that resin you used? Someone said they used dental mold and it was pretty durable. Like you said in your blog for it, the idea of dropping it and having it explode would be discouraging to say the least.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008

Zombie #246 posted:

How durable is that resin you used? Someone said they used dental mold and it was pretty durable. Like you said in your blog for it, the idea of dropping it and having it explode would be discouraging to say the least.

I ordered two Hirst Molds last Wednesday and had them on Friday. I also ordered a 25 pound box of dental stone. Excited to make tiny, tiny bricks.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I finished my first piece of scenery. If anyone has any criticism that would be great. I am rubbish at taking photos.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Lethemonster posted:

I finished my first piece of scenery. If anyone has any criticism that would be great. I am rubbish at taking photos.

I like it! I would put a space marine or something next to it to give us a sense of scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Maybe a little heavy on the static grass there? I think it might have looked better if there was some dirt poking out here and there. Other than that it looks super neat!

• Locked thread