Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm

I'm guessing that's not supposed to be like that. Any suggestions on a material to patch that hole with? I'm guessing duct tape won't hold up to the engine heat.

Any idea what happened to that bolt? It came from (if facing the engine from front of car) the upper right corner of the t-belt cover.

Things are coming along; I need to find an accessory belt long enough to hold the crankshaft pulley. T-belt seems to be in good condition so I will reuse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Never reuse a timing belt. It's not like a serpentine belt that you can change out any time.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I have around 2500 that I want to spend on a set of summer wheels and tires. Right now I have 18x7.5 Enkei EKM3s and 225/40 Blizzaks for my winter set. I would like to go wider on the summers, and will probably go with Pilot Super Sports for summer. Are there a few wheel brands that are recommended by you lot? If I could afford BBS or Work two or three piecers I wouldn't hesitate but that's probably just more than I want to spend right now while there are other things to do on the car. Thoughts? Feelings? Personal preferences?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

NuclearFusi0n posted:

I'm guessing that's not supposed to be like that. Any suggestions on a material to patch that hole with? I'm guessing duct tape won't hold up to the engine heat.

I used aluminum tape, like the kind you use for HVAC. Held up fine for me.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

The Jabberwocky posted:

I have around 2500 that I want to spend on a set of summer wheels and tires. Right now I have 18x7.5 Enkei EKM3s and 225/40 Blizzaks for my winter set. I would like to go wider on the summers, and will probably go with Pilot Super Sports for summer. Are there a few wheel brands that are recommended by you lot? If I could afford BBS or Work two or three piecers I wouldn't hesitate but that's probably just more than I want to spend right now while there are other things to do on the car. Thoughts? Feelings? Personal preferences?

I thought only 240 owners care about wheels this much. Buy something used that looks decent off craigslist, put all your money in tires, call it good.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is $6500 a bit much for a branded title 02 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 with 160k? Seems so.

I really want one, but never seen the H6 engine before. I missed out on a 2003 Limited GT Sedan the other day. They sell too quick. There's an 04 GT sedan with 93k on it a few hours away, but I'm pretty sure it's far past my ~$5000 budget.

I was fixing up my old 96 gt wagon and replaced an axle assembly. Then after that was all done a brake line blew up. It's been fixed before and was a major pain. I think I'll just send it to the yard or up on CL and start fresh.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ack! posted:

Is $6500 a bit much for a branded title 02 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 with 160k? Seems so.

I really want one, but never seen the H6 engine before. I missed out on a 2003 Limited GT Sedan the other day. They sell too quick. There's an 04 GT sedan with 93k on it a few hours away, but I'm pretty sure it's far past my ~$5000 budget.

I was fixing up my old 96 gt wagon and replaced an axle assembly. Then after that was all done a brake line blew up. It's been fixed before and was a major pain. I think I'll just send it to the yard or up on CL and start fresh.

The problem with the H6 is that it only came in automatic :negative:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

law abiding rapist posted:

The problem with the H6 is that it only came in automatic :negative:
That didn't stop me :colbert:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The 4speed auto is actually a pretty decent transmission.
I was all anti-automatic until I got a 98GT for $400. That had an automatic.
I have to say... It's really nice! Road trips are nice with it, getting stuck in traffic, stop and go city poo poo. I can eat my bagel and drink a cup of tea for breakfast and go around roundabouts without worrying about having to shift.

Of course I'd rather have a 5speed for a fun/race/weekend car, and I do. But the auto is wonderful for DD status. I can also let other people drive it without worrying they're going to grind my gears, abuse the synchros, or fry my clutch.
Have you ever noticed most people suck and driving a stick?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

chrisgt posted:

The 4speed auto is actually a pretty decent transmission.
I was all anti-automatic until I got a 98GT for $400. That had an automatic.
I have to say... It's really nice! Road trips are nice with it, getting stuck in traffic, stop and go city poo poo. I can eat my bagel and drink a cup of tea for breakfast and go around roundabouts without worrying about having to shift.

Of course I'd rather have a 5speed for a fun/race/weekend car, and I do. But the auto is wonderful for DD status. I can also let other people drive it without worrying they're going to grind my gears, abuse the synchros, or fry my clutch.
Have you ever noticed most people suck and driving a stick?

Yeah, I find it's a great excuse to not let people drive my car without hurting anyones feelings. Ignoring the shifting issue most people are just awful drivers and I'd rather have them not drive my car, regardless of the transmission.

How much better have Subaru automatics gotten? The last one I drove was a '98 and it shifted hard and couldn't hang on to a gear to save it's life, just awful programming. I know it can be actually pretty good, some Mercedes I've driven actually are smart enough to downshift quicker while braking and hold gears through corners, has Subaru taken the hint yet?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

How much better have Subaru automatics gotten? The last one I drove was a '98 and it shifted hard and couldn't hang on to a gear to save it's life, just awful programming. I know it can be actually pretty good, some Mercedes I've driven actually are smart enough to downshift quicker while braking and hold gears through corners, has Subaru taken the hint yet?

My 4EAT is one of the best I've driven but it's not smart like a Merc. I like the way it uses engine braking instead of coasting forever and upshifts are taut when I'm getting on it. A trans fluid change at 50K helped, it shifted funny sometimes at partial throttle, but feels like new now. It's definitely a better trans than the 5-speed manuals that feel like rowing a box of gravel and sync about as well.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah, I find it's a great excuse to not let people drive my car without hurting anyones feelings. Ignoring the shifting issue most people are just awful drivers and I'd rather have them not drive my car, regardless of the transmission.

I haven't driven the newer stuff. But apparently the 5speed auto in the 05+ LGT is pretty nice.
Shifting during corners is pretty much the only thing that really annoys me about it, you can manually select the gear. But it's still annoying. But it's a DD, not a race car.

I've adjusted the bands, changed the fluid, etc in my 98. It shifts really nicely, awd works well.

But 4cyl cars with 4speed auto transmissions all suck to some extent. The gears are too long, 4cyls don't have enough power. It leads to either downshifting and redlining it to accelerate, or just being really slow.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

chrisgt posted:

But 4cyl cars with 4speed auto transmissions all suck to some extent. The gears are too long, 4cyls don't have enough power. It leads to either downshifting and redlining it to accelerate, or just being really slow.

Clearly the answer is that you need more power to appreciate those longer gears :)

The 4eat on the forester and WRX has a bunch of neat little tricks it can do with variable torque distribution that can't be done with the regular manual transmissions - you can also brake boost with it to get some fun starts without having to worry about burning out a clutch or destroying a gearbox (as with the lovely 5 speed on the older WRX's). It's actually not all that bad an automatic in the later years, from what I've read.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

^^ brake boost with the turbo, yes. But even better with the turbo, it's always running full boost when it shifts. You just leave your foot on the floor.
I guess you can run a FFS map on a manual, but it's pretty much default with an auto.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the unit on my brother's 2006 OBS feels a lot smoother than my '99 Forester did.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
What is the reccomended brand of Regular replacement air filter? I see wix, Mann, fram etc on rock auto. Not interested in anything performance oriented, just good filtration.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

chrisgt posted:

I haven't driven the newer stuff. But apparently the 5speed auto in the 05+ LGT is pretty nice.

It's not bad at all - certainly one of the better auto trannies I've tried. I ended up going with an auto OBXT (unfortunately over an '07 WRX) as I often have other random people driving my car, needed the extra space, clearance, etc.

SI-Drive makes it a LOT more interesting - sport sharp loves to hold the gears, and the auto-tip-manu-tronic is actually tolerable enough that I use it on occasion. That said, I can't wait to park a 1.6L STI beside it in 2013.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

What is the reccomended brand of Regular replacement air filter? I see wix, Mann, fram etc on rock auto. Not interested in anything performance oriented, just good filtration.

Wix

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

chrisgt posted:

Oh yes, it gets even worse if you live somewhere with a lot of hills. I always end up playing the stupid throttle position game of trying to keep it from upshifting and losing all forward momentum but not too much and slamming into the back of the person in front of me. Somehow I always end up behind someone going exactly the right speed to cause the transmission to sit right in the middle of 2nd/3rd.

Then you get to go down the other side of the hill and ride the brakes the entire way because no foot on the gas means it's time for 4th gear at 25mph!

I don't hate automatic transmissions, just the idiots that program them. They are a million times less annoying when you can specify the "top" gear for them, a lot of new cars have this and it's a loving godsend even if downshifting isn't that quick.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
A friend just had the turbo seal go out on his (stage 2, daily driver) 09 WRX. He's rightfully suspicious of another IHI turbo. Does Blouch make something equivalent in terms of spool and power to the VF52? 18G-XTR perhaps? He's fine with getting the car retuned.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Oh yes, it gets even worse if you live somewhere with a lot of hills. I always end up playing the stupid throttle position game of trying to keep it from upshifting and losing all forward momentum but not too much and slamming into the back of the person in front of me. Somehow I always end up behind someone going exactly the right speed to cause the transmission to sit right in the middle of 2nd/3rd.

Then you get to go down the other side of the hill and ride the brakes the entire way because no foot on the gas means it's time for 4th gear at 25mph!

I don't hate automatic transmissions, just the idiots that program them. They are a million times less annoying when you can specify the "top" gear for them, a lot of new cars have this and it's a loving godsend even if downshifting isn't that quick.

HAHA! This is so true. Living in Maine, there isn't one flat stretch of road between me and town. Although, I don't usually ride the brakes. I just drop it into 3, and for the most part that keeps the speed under control.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I just looked at the 02 outback sedan H6. The cars quite nice. He says it was bought at an auction wrecked with high damage to the RH front fender, hood, and headlight assembly which he replaced. No airbag deployment.

So, that's a concern with the branded title. A few dash lights don't work, the power steering pump sounds like it has a noisy/bad bearing at the pulley and I can smell oil burning. He said it doesn't go through oil but has a leak, but who knows. Also he said the AC needs to be charged but doesn't know if it works.

I offered 4500 and he said 5800 and I said I'll let him know tomorrow. I really want a legacy outback/gt sedan, the h6 is nice and it's the limited package. However, I don't want to work on it much for now so the oil leak and bearing seem suspect.
Any thoughts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd probably just walk. I doubt an '02 Outback sedan is worth $5800 in good condition leave alone with a rebuilt title and questionable A/C.

The SUS is a really cool car but that money can find you something in a lot better nick.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blargle posted:

A friend just had the turbo seal go out on his (stage 2, daily driver) 09 WRX. He's rightfully suspicious of another IHI turbo. Does Blouch make something equivalent in terms of spool and power to the VF52? 18G-XTR perhaps? He's fine with getting the car retuned.

yeah anything blouch makes is generally a good idea. the 18gxt flows a fair amount more air than the stock turbo (you can make almost 350whp with one) and would be a good choice. the xt-R is a really new variation of the xt that uses a ballbearing center section, which should mean faster spool and better durability. But I don't think I'd spend the extra $250. you can get a lot more turbo for $1500 (but then need to spend a lot more money to take advantage of it).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Friend of mine bought an '04 production Impreza WRX Wagon with the prodrive performance package. He has dead shocks and has been planning to swap on a set of KYB GR2 / Exel G. Except apparently KYB mysteriously don't make a shock to fit an '04 car.

Subaru want £880 (=MANY THOUSANDS OF YOUR MOON DOLLARS) for just the rear WRX shocks, as we all might have guessed.

Do any of you experts know if he can get '03 shocks to fit, or whether there are other options in the same price bracket that aren't (i) used or (ii) crap?

He sent me the following...

some dude posted:

"Camskill did their homework and I got a call from a guy there. He had phoned KYB and they had confirmed that KYB do NOT make a strut for my car, and that the 02-03 ones don't fit - but he couldn't say WHY they don't fit.

So I've been frantically googling, best I can come up with is:
I bought a 2004 model (VIN indicates a 2005 build date I understand this can be towards the end of 2004 though - the vin has a 5 in the 10th spot!) Impreza WRX Wagon. It's had the Prodrive Performance Pack put on it too at a later date. It has good history with no indication of any shock/suspension changes.

Subaru want £880 + VAT jsut for the rear shocks. I'm not paying that!

Part numbers as given by Camskill:
Left Front: 20312 - FE220 Changed to: 20312 - 0209L
Right Front: 20312 - FE230 Changed to: 20312 - 0309L

Left Rear: 20361 - FE320 Changed to 32294
Right Rear: 20361 - FE330 Changed to 33294

So I'm left googling frantically trying to find WHY they do not fit and HOW they can be made to fit!

So Far I seem to have come up with:
They fit fine, stop worrying about it

They fit, but you need these little spacers, although I'm not telling you where they fit or why you need them.

And some cryptic advice that it is the topmounts ("Tophats") that vary in thickness between the MY03 and MY04-05 cars, and that if you want to make 03 Struts fit an 04-05 car, you get the 03 tophats too and it's all hunky dory!

This is the best lead I've got so far:

02/03/V7 struts not compatible with 04/V8 hats/springs - NASIOC

It looks like the top of the damper rod is subtly different, and this is why they don't fit between years.

I'm at my wits end with it. Looks like I'm going to need Struts for a '03, Topmounts for an '03, and that means I won't be putting eibach springs on it or other nice bits until I get this probelm sorted....

e:

The Jabberwocky posted:

How about Team Dynamics? Cheap over here and they claim reasonable weights (depending on model and size of course). Had a set of Pro Race 2s on a kit car and had no complaints. Pro Race 1.2s are I think fairly light.

Personally, I'd buy OEM so people don't grimace and look away when you eventually try to sell the car. But that's just me.

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 21, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Any reason to think the ones on rock auto are incorrect?

Here is what I am getting:
Suspension : Strut AssemblyRelated Parts
KYB Part # 339122 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Front Left; Wagon
$61.99 $61.99 Remove Part
KYB Part # 334356 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Rear Right; Wagon
$74.79 $74.79 Remove Part
KYB Part # 334357 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Rear Left; Wagon
KYB Part # 339121 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Front Right; Wagon
Subtotal $273.56
Discount -$13.68
Shipping: from United States $208.31
Total $468.19

As an alternative, could he put Koni inserts in them? Theyre about $800 USD but theyd both fix the shocks and give you a performance shock.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 21, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Hmm, do the UK model Imprezas have different damping though? Could explain why the UK supplier is telling Camskill (who are usually a competent shop and well known over here) they don't have a part to fit.

Thanks though, I will pass that on to him.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I edited my post just in case you missed it, if he is willing to spend around 800 USD Koni inserts are probably available locally and would be a performance shock.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

Any reason to think the ones on rock auto are incorrect?

Here is what I am getting:
Suspension : Strut AssemblyRelated Parts
KYB Part # 339122 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Front Left; Wagon
KYB Part # 334356 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Rear Right; Wagon
KYB Part # 334357 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Rear Left; Wagon
KYB Part # 339121 GR-2 / Excel-G
Recommended OE Replacement; Front Right; Wagon
Subtotal $273.56
Discount -$13.68
Shipping: from United States $208.31
Total $468.19

As an alternative, could he put Koni inserts in them? Theyre about $800 USD but theyd both fix the shocks and give you a performance shock.

HOW THE gently caress ARE YOU GETTING PRICES THAT CHEAP?

When I try to find the same ones for my 02 Wagon i'm getting $100+ per shock?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

I edited my post just in case you missed it, if he is willing to spend around 800 USD Koni inserts are probably available locally and would be a performance shock.

Yeah, I did ask him why not just Koni sports, but I think the GR2 are much, much cheaper over here. Half the price sounds about right.

Personally, I'm going to fit GR2s to my rather wallowy Sport, because let's face it, it's not a fast car and I'll probably either end up buying a Turbo 2000 or a 120i in a year or two.

Having said all that, I looked again and I think he answered his own question - you buy '03 to'04 KYBs and if they don't fit, you buy or just make up spacers so the top of the shock fits the later top mount. Not very mysterious surely.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

toplitzin posted:

HOW THE gently caress ARE YOU GETTING PRICES THAT CHEAP?

When I try to find the same ones for my 02 Wagon i'm getting $100+ per shock?

Because 02 and 04s arent the same PN. Shoulda gotten an 02 Sedan like me instead of the ironically expensive jewbaru. Before I get banned for racism, his license plate actually says jewbaru. 02 Sedan shocks are only $86. I am planning on Koni inserts when the time comes because I like throwing money away.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 21, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes, to use ans 02-03 strut you need a small spacer or some washers between the strut and top. When its all apart if you stick the top on the strut you'll see the problem. Turn in Concepts actually makes spacers that are the right size and is what anyone with an 04-07 who wants tokico d-specs needs to get. This is all irrelevant because kyb does make struts for that car. There is a catalog on the kyb website.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Got this bugeye a week ago, I loving love this car:

The real question is, should I stay wingless?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Yakattak posted:

That is really pretty. I can't believe those still exist in such good shape. That is by far my favorite body style. I would put a wing on it, but I'm a pretty humongous tool. :o:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I agree about the shape. I've been disappointed with the design direction since then.
Personally, I think the wing accents the hood scoop nicely.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I had my car on jacks the other day, all four wheels off the ground. Ebrake was off. Stick was in neutral. My front wheels were spinning for a minute or two after I turned the car on. What is going on here? Is that the hill assist? The car was pretty level. 2011 STi with 3750 miles. Busted?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Yakattak posted:

Is that a WRX or a 2.5RS?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Lord Gaga posted:

Is that a WRX or a 2.5RS?

WRX. Literally the cleanest car I've seen for ~100k and 9-10 years old.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My '02 looks like that from that distance :)

Get closer and you see the front end has been chewed up by 10 years of rock chips, but it passes the 10ft check nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My 02 looks loving awful, it just photographs okay from a distance.

It's for the best, they were meant to be beat on in the woods.