Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Glimm posted:

Care to elaborate?

There's a pretty big rumor going around that Google is preparing to release another major version update to android, and it's likely to make its way to tablets first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

My Linux Rig posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

They may announce it a Google IO in the summer, but it won't be available natively until at least November-ish, with the next Nexus.

Seriously, don't plan on JB for a good long while.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

My Linux Rig posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

JB may be released at some point in the summer, but you won't see it on non-Nexus hardwre until Fall or Winter.

What is it about ICS that compels you to recommend people avoid an entire hardware cycle?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kynetx posted:

What is it about ICS that compels you to recommend people avoid an entire hardware cycle?

It has nothing to do with ICS specifically and everything to do with the fact that Android isn't iOS.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

My Linux Rig posted:

There's a pretty big rumor going around that Google is preparing to release another major version update to android, and it's likely to make its way to tablets first.

The source for that is Digitimes, the same source which pegged a 5 & 7 inch iPad coming out early 2011, a retina display iPad coming out alongside the iPhone 4S in 2011 and the ASUS Transformer Prime being the Google experience reference device for ICS.

They're quite hit and miss.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Android revisions are going to keep coming and there's really no point in waiting for them. If you do you'll never buy something. ICS is apparently enough of an improvement over HC to be livable.

That being said, it really does make sense to hold off right now on a purchase. The ipad 3 launch could have huge ramifications to the Android world - dropping the price on the ipad 2, for example, might force Android tablet prices down. Combined with a bunch of announced Teg3 tablets (of which one must surely have a better build quality than the Prime), it makes sense to at least wait a few weeks.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

iPad 3 launch, more Tegra 3 tablets, rumored Google Nexus tablet and/or Jellybean release, MWC coming,

long story short it's a bad time to buy.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Rastor posted:

long story short it's a bad time to buy.
It's never a good time to buy these types of electronics. I ended up waiting 3 years before I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to the Samsung Galaxy SII, and like 1 month later they had the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, and they are getting ready for the Galazy SII Skyrocket HD, and after that it'll be the Galaxy III. I waited since the OG Transformer to get my Transformer Prime (which I love), but now they have the 7 inch Prime coming, and an updated Prime, and the iPad 3, and tons of other tablets.

When it comes to buying this poo poo, just get the one you think it most future proof and buy it; and accept that it will be old hat in 6-12 months at best. In my case, I've got a Tegra 3 device with ICS, that should hold me over for quite sometime.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Apple releases an iPad once per year. It's happening next month and people are going to buy the poo poo out of it. You may not want an iPad, but it will still have a huge effect on the market. Other tablets are probably going to have to drop in price, just to compete with the iPad 2, which will probably also drop in price. It's pretty much the worst time to buy a tablet. For Android it's even more worthwhile to wait because we're finally at the point where hardware can keep up (Tegra 3) and the only tablet with one (Transformer Prime) has major design flaws.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

McLarenF1 posted:

When it comes to buying this poo poo, just get the one you think it most future proof and buy it; and accept that it will be old hat in 6-12 months at best. In my case, I've got a Tegra 3 device with ICS, that should hold me over for quite sometime.

So basically, accept that the android device you bought will become obsolete very quickly.

Not because of hardware but more because the manufacturer doesn't want to update your device every 6 months.

Kynetx posted:

JB may be released at some point in the summer, but you won't see it on non-Nexus hardwre until Fall or Winter.

Well I wouldn't say it's ics that compels me to tell people not to buy android tablets.

I mean, not buy android tablets yet!

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

Well I wouldn't say it's ics that compels me to tell people not to buy android tablets.

I mean, not buy android tablets yet!

I got myself a firesale Touchpad to play around with. It's running CM9 right now and it's startlingly good. Not just good for an Alpha release, but good by any reasonable metric. Using the stock browser, the scrolling animation is probably 90% as good as my wife's iPad2. Stability is at least as good as my SGS2, which is to say that an application might crash once every couple of days, and I've never needed a battery pull or forced reset. You ought to try it if the opportunity presents itself.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A friend pulled one of those out at a party recently and we were all "Oh nice, none of us managed to score one; you got CM running decently?" and he answers with "No, I think WebOS is a wonderful platform." We all assume this is sarcasm and he gets really bent out of shape. Turns out he's the guy HP was targeting, if only there were... any more of him. :v:

Still kicking myself over not grabbing one when Woot had them; cheaper it is, the easier it is to just have fun and not get hung up if something goes weird.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
WebOS is really good, it's just a shame HP didn't know what to do with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Still kicking myself over not grabbing one when Woot had them; cheaper it is, the easier it is to just have fun and not get hung up if something goes weird.
There is a mountain of them on SA-Mart lately (the honeymoon period is over) if you really want one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There is a mountain of them on SA-Mart lately (the honeymoon period is over) if you really want one.

Yeah for 300+ because people think they are worth money or something. Completely serious. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something I know they got for a third of that. Maybe craigslisters are that stupid though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's pretty much the thing, I'd be willing to pay what they paid, if it looked to be in great shape. If I wanted to spend $300 for used hardware, I'd get a Xoom or an Ipad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah for 300+ because people think they are worth money or something. Completely serious. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something I know they got for a third of that. Maybe craigslisters are that stupid though.

I saw a 32 gb touchpad (used, slight wear on the back) for $175 on craigslist the other day. I considered picking it up but I doubt I'd ever use it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

From what I've seen, they're not actually selling for that price though. People can ask for whatever they want, but there's no reason you can't lowball them.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466900
This guy has 24 posts in the thread without any substantial offers. I bet someone could work a decent deal out with him by this point.
Also I have a touchpad and it owns :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'd buy it from him for $100 shipped but he just turned down $160, so. Do they have an SD slot? What hardware buttons are there?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

No SD slots, theres a home button, a power button, volume buttons. A forward facing camera, microphone, headphone jack, and the usb charging cord plug. Also I would cut him some slack on the price, if he got it from the more recent sale he paid more like 180$ I think. I paid 220 for the 32 gb model from woot earlier this month.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Would if I could, but that's all I have to spend; it's not spiteful. Not sure I'd go higher if I had the extra, but still not a reflection on him.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Someone bought me a swanky new avatar! You guys are the best. =)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

A friend pulled one of those out at a party recently and we were all "Oh nice, none of us managed to score one; you got CM running decently?" and he answers with "No, I think WebOS is a wonderful platform." We all assume this is sarcasm and he gets really bent out of shape. Turns out he's the guy HP was targeting, if only there were... any more of him. :v:

Sounds like a real rager.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So I did something really stupid and dropped my Prime. It landed right on the corner by the power button and shattered the screen. Surprisingly it still works, and beyond feeling a little rough where the spidered glass is the touch sensor still works and everything else is just fine.

Fortunately I have a squaretrade warranty and it's getting sent off for repairs (or money back if they can't repair it). I ended up ordering a replacement, because I'm not confident they're going to repair it and I'd rather not be 2 weeks without my tablet only to be told "lol here's money to replace it"

The plus side is that if they DO repair it, I'll probably have a cheap refurbished Tegra3 tablet for sale.

Fun facts: the minisuit case does not adequately protect a tablet from being dropped. :(

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So people nowadays actually pull out gadgets at parties and talk about ROMs and stuff?

Man I'm getting old I guess.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I've never seen anyone with an Android tablet in the wild, let alone at a party.

I'm like that with booze though.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kynetx posted:

Someone bought me a swanky new avatar! You guys are the best. =)

Me too. High five!

hotsauce posted:

So people nowadays actually pull out gadgets at parties and talk about ROMs and stuff?

Man I'm getting old I guess.

No, people don't actually do that.

And if they do, don't worry, I'm sure their social anxiety will overtake the booze soon enough so they go back to standing in the corner.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until the iPad 3 comes out and see if the 7.0 Plus drops in price at all. Do you know if its supposed to ever get ICS? I have a gaming PC, so I'll just be using the tablet at my friends' houses or when laying on my bed so I don't really want to spend over $400.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until the iPad 3 comes out and see if the 7.0 Plus drops in price at all. Do you know if its supposed to ever get ICS? I have a gaming PC, so I'll just be using the tablet at my friends' houses or when laying on my bed so I don't really want to spend over $400.

Well, here's one for $130

It even has an ethernet port for all your super intense gaming computing needs!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cakefool posted:

You can't fix it without opening the case up, the manufacturer can't fix it unless you send it to them. How else were you expecting to 'fix' it?

I was hoping there would be some way to fix it but apparently not.

I gave the tablet back and I'll be getting a new one in the next week hopefully

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It will apparently, Androidandme put up a nicely formatted list based on what Samsung has confirmed in the press. Though with Samsung, you'll never know the time frame.

It's also worth keeping an eye out for MWC next week, since there's a chance the rumored 7' inch Google tablet will make an appearance. The countdown on the official website would suggest that the Android team are planning on announcing something:

http://www.android.com/events/mwc/2012/
(Worth checking every day just to see how the graphics progress)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, my bad, forgot "party" also means binge drinking and trying to get laid. "Get-together with several friends where we have a nice dinner and hang out" is what I meant, but it's so unwieldy. Maybe if I made it into an acronym? :v:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Frozen-Solid posted:

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

What's the issue? It looks like a normal prime to me.

He ha, just kidding! Here, here's a place you can find replacement parts. I'm sure you can fix it yourself.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kynetx posted:

I hope so. With competition, everyone wins.

This thread says otherwise.

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, my bad, forgot "party" also means binge drinking and trying to get laid. "Get-together with several friends where we have a nice dinner and hang out" is what I meant, but it's so unwieldy. Maybe if I made it into an acronym? :v:

Like ASD or DKE!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

What's the issue? It looks like a normal prime to me.

You kid, but beyond the fact that the cracks are ugly as hell the entire thing works like a charm. Even touching the clock where it's cracked the worst still works fine. The only bad part is running your finger across one of the worst cracks, because you can really feel it. I've gotten a splinter from it once. I'm actually impressed the whole thing didn't become useless.

It's being sent off to Squaretrade and they're either going to fix it or give me cash back, I'm just not sure what to expect from them as I've never used their service until now. Either way I'll either have my money back or a second prime to sell/use for rooting and development.

New Prime arrived today. Absolutely no light bleed, wifi is picking up a signal fine, and I'm about to test out the app restore feature. The only apps it couldn't back up were Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, and World of Goo. Only World of Goo bothers me because that means I lose all my progress. It seems the WoG developers didn't put the app data in a place you can get to if you're not root.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frozen-Solid posted:

New Prime arrived today. Absolutely no light bleed, wifi is picking up a signal fine, and I'm about to test out the app restore feature. The only apps it couldn't back up were Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, and World of Goo. Only World of Goo bothers me because that means I lose all my progress. It seems the WoG developers didn't put the app data in a place you can get to if you're not root.

Its to prevent piracy because you know, Android = Piracy. Does it not offer Google cloud restore? It's an option for app devs to use and it's a shame more don't use it. I know the Hexage guys use it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm about to test out the app restore feature. The only apps it couldn't back up were Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, and World of Goo. Only World of Goo bothers me because that means I lose all my progress. It seems the WoG developers didn't put the app data in a place you can get to if you're not root.
As of ICS Android has a device backup feature similar to what iTunes can do for iOS devices (includes apps and app data, etc.). Google for "adb backup" for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rastor posted:

As of ICS Android has a device backup feature similar to what iTunes can do for iOS devices (includes apps and app data, etc.). Google for "adb backup" for more info.

So similar as in "does the same thing, kind of, but you have to open a terminal and".