Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
They're called Grazers. How threatening can they be, really.

Also, maybe you cleverly equip your fyrd with spears, which, as everyone knows, means that the horsies are hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yeah, any well-disciplined infantry can beat cavalry! It's a myth that horse riders are better at dedicated warfare, since all you need is a spear wall and they can't get at you (horses aren't stupid and won't charge at a line of dudes with spears). Or a wall of stakes.

Is there an actual, in-game reason for the Horsespawn to attack you, though??

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Good point about the spears.

gowb posted:

It's kind of what everyone does in Dragon Pass, if anything it makes them easier to relate to for Orlanthi. Directing pent up aggression outwards cuts down on the kinstrife.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

gowb posted:

Yeah, any well-disciplined infantry can beat cavalry! It's a myth that horse riders are better at dedicated warfare, since all you need is a spear wall and they can't get at you (horses aren't stupid and won't charge at a line of dudes with spears). Or a wall of stakes.

I figured they were meant to be a Mongol horde sorta deal and left it at that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

rotinaj posted:

Is there a checklist of Things To Do To Make Life Easier?

Thus far, I know that you should always search your tula for Green Pottery Clay, Amulets, Ivory and Iron, and get the Issaries "Improve Your Market" and Uralda "Improve Your Cow-herd" temples up and running ASAP. At the same time, I try to get my maximum trading partner clans settled. Once you have that, I've figured the best things to do are to get the Humakt Battle Luck or Morale temples going. Once that stuff is settled, I try to get Vinga's Fyrdwomen and Pathfinder granted, then use them as needed.

Its a little less clear cut than all that. Try to figure out what is your biggest weakness and fix that. Then move to the next weakness and so on. Maran Gor is also crazy helpful, and Humakt's Truesword is usually the turning point from "desperately avoiding war" to "winning like crazy."

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.
I just started playing this a few days ago based off of this thread, and it's been great so far. I have a question, though:

A long time ago a Urox Chaos puncher type guy dropped by to tell us all that my tribe's chief was a chaos worshipper. We sent the Chaos-puncher packing, because that was frankly ridiculous. For a long time after that however, successive herds of cattle started turning into minotaurs and other weird crappy chaotic stuff started happening. So I quietly fired the chief and promoted someone else in his place. She had great leadership skills but lousy scores in everything else. She sat through two calls for her resignation and then resigned. The one after her seemed pretty good but had more people calling for his head, and it turned out that the original chief wanted his job back and was convincing notable people in the tribe to get him his job back. So I banished him, and he smirked and left for another tribe next door. Since then, everything has been going much better than before

Can anyone spoil for me exactly what the hell happened here? Was the guy actually a Chaos-worshipper?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Happydogska posted:

I just started playing this a few days ago based off of this thread, and it's been great so far. I have a question, though:

A long time ago a Urox Chaos puncher type guy dropped by to tell us all that my tribe's chief was a chaos worshipper. We sent the Chaos-puncher packing, because that was frankly ridiculous. For a long time after that however, successive herds of cattle started turning into minotaurs and other weird crappy chaotic stuff started happening. So I quietly fired the chief and promoted someone else in his place. She had great leadership skills but lousy scores in everything else. She sat through two calls for her resignation and then resigned. The one after her seemed pretty good but had more people calling for his head, and it turned out that the original chief wanted his job back and was convincing notable people in the tribe to get him his job back. So I banished him, and he smirked and left for another tribe next door. Since then, everything has been going much better than before

Can anyone spoil for me exactly what the hell happened here? Was the guy actually a Chaos-worshipper?

drat, I've never even seen that. Also remember that the game will sometimes randomize the right answer. Sometimes your cows really are filled with evil octopi.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003

Benagain posted:

Also remember that the game will sometimes randomize the right answer. Sometimes your cows really are filled with evil octopi.
Was not aware of either of these things. Thanks!

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
There are few games that I would rather have a few hours to sit down and read the source with more than KoDP.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Favorite scene is when the ghosts of your ancestors show up to yell at you for being wimps and you can yell right back and tell them how awesome you are and if you're good enough they'll just kind of hang their heads and go "yeah, right, sorry" and leave.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Benagain posted:

Favorite scene is when the ghosts of your ancestors show up to yell at you for being wimps and you can yell right back and tell them how awesome you are and if you're good enough they'll just kind of hang their heads and go "yeah, right, sorry" and leave.

The best one of those is when they show up to complain about the guy in your ring who always speaks in platitudes!

Oh and yeah, ANYONE in your tula can turn out to be a Chaos worshipper, but it is worse if they are on your ring. So if you had a lot of chaos stuff happening, and it stopped when you banished your leader, that's probably exactly what happened. I've had ring members found out for chaos worshipping before but never my leader.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003

gowb posted:

Oh and yeah, ANYONE in your tula can turn out to be a Chaos worshipper, but it is worse if they are on your ring. So if you had a lot of chaos stuff happening, and it stopped when you banished your leader, that's probably exactly what happened. I've had ring members found out for chaos worshipping before but never my leader.
Good to know, thanks. I was a little concerned that I was creating a narrative that didn't exist in the game, but it looks like maybe I was on the right track.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah KODP isn't really big on setting up a clear dividing line between what's happening and what people only think is happening. It's a world where there's witchcraft and also people who just happen to look funny or act a little off when an outbreak of sickness hits the town. And sometimes believing hard enough that the latter is a witch makes you actually cursed. Gotta just roll with it (and the stories you pull out of it are usually way cooler than what's going on in the raw mechanics anyway)

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 3, 2012

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004
What is the trick to cattle raiding and establishing trading partners on the medium and hard difficulty levels? I fail 7/8 on both on a medium game even with two points in war/trading.

Are there some must have shrines or hero quests to get/do beforehand?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
For cattle raids, you don't want to send too many dudes - you're there to steal their poo poo and get out, not murder a bunch of dudes. If you have a lot of weaponthanes, try just sending them and a minimal number of footmen.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Cattle raiding is mostly just keep your raiders below a certain number; I forget exactly where you start getting screwed all the time but less than 10 was always pretty safe.

Trade is sort of tricky and setting up routes normally requires you to be doing pretty good economically (if you're trading to stay alive people are way more amenable to the one-off trade missions, and they get you more poo poo in the short term), try doing a few one-off trades with them and working on your general diplomatic relations. A lot of times they'll just decide you don't have anything they want anyway; the clans aren't big on committing to lasting relationships.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Cattle raids are less than 12. I usually send 10 thanes and a single footman.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Remember, there is no shame in running the gently caress away (Evade) from a battle if your cattle raiders get caught. It's better to be out some dignity and potential cows than it is to be out a dozen good thanes and create an enemy.

However, if you repeatedly lose battles (cattle raids turning into battles included) it will hurt your War magic. So try to sneak a few cows if you can, but if that one clan seems to just have an impenetrable cow defense don't bother going after them. There's plenty of other people to raid!

Trade is fairly dependent on diplomacy. If they don't like you, why the hell would they want to trade with you? The game also keeps a rough track of the resources of the other clans. If one has a shitload of cows, they probably won't want to buy more cows from you. They may be willing to sell, though.

As for trade routes, you have to be really friendly with them. And remember, don't stretch yourself too thin. You can only support so many routes. You can make your temple to Issaries larger in order to support more.

With all trade and diplomacy, don't forget to turn to Issaries and Lhankor Mhy. Ask your friends about your neighbors. Pay attention to the various rumors and events that your ring talks about. If a clan had a bad harvest, they would probably greatly appreciate a gift of food. Don't forget to call in favors, and to fulfill the favors you have promised.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 3, 2012

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gowb posted:

The best one of those is when they show up to complain about the guy in your ring who always speaks in platitudes!

The best detail of this is if you later ask your ancestors what threats your clan faces, they'll just complain about that dude who doesn't make sense.

var1ety posted:

What is the trick to cattle raiding and establishing trading partners on the medium and hard difficulty levels? I fail 7/8 on both on a medium game even with two points in war/trading.

Are there some must have shrines or hero quests to get/do beforehand?

Defence against cattle raiding is determined by number of thanes on outer patrol, size of tula, number of hunters, and presence/absence of a watchtower (plus probably a bunch of stuff like Humakt's favor and such). Most of that is nigh on impossible to determine from outside, but if you're trying to cattle raid somebody because they're too strong to fight in straight combat, it's not really going to work since they probably have enough thanes to patrol well. Cattle raiding works on clans with lots of land and little military force. An important thing is that raiding starts up feuds pretty quick, but cattle raids don't deteriorate relations very fast so even alliances tolerate it from time to time.

If you are trying to get cattle but aren't strong enough for real raiding, you're probably better off trying to trade. A lot of players advocate maxing out craftsmen really early, an this is a major reason to do it. If the problem is a feud that you aren't powerful enough to win consistently in, there are a couple ways to skin that. Unlike most video games, the easiest option is probably peace. Send a bunch of gifts and drop magic into diplomacy. It'll lose you some cows/food/silver but compared to pissing off Humakt or Urox by losing it's pretty minor. You don't want to be at peace with everyone, but you do want to make sure you have only as many feuds as you can handle. The other option that i like is magic, specifically Blast Earth. If you use Blast Earth during the Sea season, it'll tank their harvest. Most clans can only tolerate a few years of this before they get incredibly weak. Theoretically you can curse or plague them, but i tend to shy away from those rituals, since the first doesn't seem very reliable in my experience and the second is drat dirty chaos poo poo and i don't do chaos.

Of course, you can also just get stronger. Watchtower, ditch, and spikes are all cheap and require basically no maintenance. Get shrines up and running, and make sure to prioritise them, since cost of maintenance goes up pretty fast and losing due to lack of pigs is just embarrassing. Challana Arroy's healing is crucial to keep your numbers up, Vinga's Fyrdwomen increases numbers dramatically, Humakt's Truesword doubles the power of your thanes. This may not be practical if you're bleeding cows due to too many feuds, but eventually you're going to need to get around to kicking rear end.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the hell does the Silver Dragon Statue do?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tulip posted:

A lot of players advocate maxing out craftsmen really early, an this is a major reason to do it.

Note to iOS players who never played the PC version - this is no longer a usable option, crafters are maxed by default on iOS and there's no way to change that.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

rotinaj posted:

What the hell does the Silver Dragon Statue do?

It's just decoration! There are a few treasures that have no special properties.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gowb posted:

It's just decoration! There are a few treasures that have no special properties.
Which makes them excellent trading/tribal regalia/Issaries Quest bait.

As for my own game, I've been doing pretty well. Stable food supply, decent leader, a nice tribe...except for one clan. I made the mistake of accepting a clan who wanted the king to protect us all from bandits. This seemed easy so I accepted that condition, and promptly found out that when you're king, nobody is ever happy with how you handle the bandits.

I think this is the first time anyone made my king step down. Can someone who's dealt with this before tell me what the hell my tribemates want me to do about the bandits(I've tried several options that work temporarily, but they always return in a year or so)? I can handle most of the other random bullshit events that just keep coming back, like the rabble-runners and the woman trying to start a feud over a goddamned horse, but this seems like it's going to actively prevent me from winning the game.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I think there is a heroquest that protects from bandits. Maybe it's the Issaries one?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

andrew smash posted:

Note to iOS players who never played the PC version - this is no longer a usable option, crafters are maxed by default on iOS and there's no way to change that.

That's probably a good thing, since that was one of the few times the game basically had a false choice. I always maxed crafters.

Haifisch posted:

when you're king, nobody is ever happy

This is what's really going on. The only things to really be done about bandits are to have lots of combat beef, plus there's a heroquest that helps protect but i'm not sure if that protection extends to tribemates. I've been forced to step down a few times and you can still win (heck, my first win was with a dude who had to step down 3 different times - the real miracle was that he didn't keel over from old age).

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I decided to do the Orlanth and Aroka heroquest, and the legend says that Orlanth fought Daga (spirit of famine) for weeks before Ernalda told him to go rescue Heler.

When I actually did the quest, the first option was "Fight until Daga is slain" and the second is "fight defensively". On the one hand, I know that Orlanth wasn't supposed to win, but it did stress how he fought for ages before finally moving on, so I did the 'wrong' thing and told him to fight to the finish.

Shortest Heroquest ever. My quester comes back saying 'All set! I just killed Daga, show's over, famine is ended' and everyone else in the tribe is, like, 'you did whatnow? Orlanth couldn't do that! How the gently caress did you kill Daga'?

I got -Mood for technically being a kinslaying god, but got Orlanth's Klanth out of it, so I'll take it. I couldn't stop laughing for half an hour at that point.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mile'ionaha posted:

I decided to do the Orlanth and Aroka heroquest, and the legend says that Orlanth fought Daga (spirit of famine) for weeks before Ernalda told him to go rescue Heler.

When I actually did the quest, the first option was "Fight until Daga is slain" and the second is "fight defensively". On the one hand, I know that Orlanth wasn't supposed to win, but it did stress how he fought for ages before finally moving on, so I did the 'wrong' thing and told him to fight to the finish.

Shortest Heroquest ever. My quester comes back saying 'All set! I just killed Daga, show's over, famine is ended' and everyone else in the tribe is, like, 'you did whatnow? Orlanth couldn't do that! How the gently caress did you kill Daga'?

I got -Mood for technically being a kinslaying god, but got Orlanth's Klanth out of it, so I'll take it. I couldn't stop laughing for half an hour at that point.

Say hi to cow eating chaos octopus and other wonderful things.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, you're in for one hell of a ride from this point on. Killing Daga is pretty metal, but it has downsides.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Nonsense. Ortossi slew Daga, and all that happened was everyone was super impressed with him forever.

It's not easy to skip the heroquests, but don't let the naysayers scare you. If you can pull it off, 420 kill gods erryday.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
New patch today, this caught my eye in the notes: "Improved Heroquest advice"...anyone that's downloaded it know any more details? I'm probably not going to get a chance to fire up the game today but kind of curious.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

You can now get advice from the ring on the quests page and they all say something specific about questing, separate from what they are currently saying on the main magic page. I don't think that was there before.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Sanford posted:

You can now get advice from the ring on the quests page and they all say something specific about questing, separate from what they are currently saying on the main magic page. I don't think that was there before.

Cool, I was hoping it was something like that as questing is where I feel most clueless.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I finally beat KoDP a week or so ago, after cheesing my way through it, savescumming through noble deaths.

Look, I just wanted to be done with it for a while and couldn't bring myself to replay an entire loving game.

After using it as my default iPod game for three months, I finally figured out the best choices to do at all times. God drat, the entire game is just unforgiving. Merciless.

The best failure of a run through was when I became the King of a Tribe, but then my King died, I jammed a second King into the slot, but the tribe promptly dissolved. I ended up joining another tribe just in time for the King of the Pass competition to start, with three other dudes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
When you always do the best response for the problem at hand, you aren't establishing tribal traditions. Consistency is the highest virtue, because it promotes a tribal identity. When you just chase the 'best' way to solve each problem, your tribe members never become invested, and you wind up weathering a lot of tribal dissolution.

Good King Heort was always true to his people, and his efforts never betrayed him. Bad King Ugrain always had new ideas, and was constantly beset by needlerats.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

When you always do the best response for the problem at hand, you aren't establishing tribal traditions. Consistency is the highest virtue, because it promotes a tribal identity. When you just chase the 'best' way to solve each problem, your tribe members never become invested, and you wind up weathering a lot of tribal dissolution.

Good King Heort was always true to his people, and his efforts never betrayed him. Bad King Ugrain always had new ideas, and was constantly beset by needlerats.

Not all of us can be true Orlanthi like you, dude.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My tribe has a good, strong tradition of being tricked out of cows by a talking fox. Has anyone ever received any good luck for helping him? Even though I lose cows, I love the fox events because there is always one ring member who gets behind the idea of helping this talking fox, and just won't let it go and can't admit he's been duped:

"This sounds like a good deal. We should give the fox his cows"

"Our luck did not increase. We should never have listened to the fox"

And then, a few years later:

"This is clearly a different fox, and anyone who says otherwise is a fool! We should not miss this chance to increase our luck!"

"A year has passed and our luck didn't change. On reflection, that probably was the same fox"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

rotinaj posted:

Not all of us can be true Orlanthi like you, dude.

Being a true Orlanthi is honestly probably the easiest way to play the game. If there is one way to "cheese" the game that i honestly think works it's "read the lore and pretend that you really care about what Orlanth thinks of you"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

Being a true Orlanthi is honestly probably the easiest way to play the game. If there is one way to "cheese" the game that i honestly think works it's "read the lore and pretend that you really care about what Orlanth thinks of you"

The way I found to "cheese" the game was "play it every chance I got to find out what events end poorly when you take X, Y or Z action, then take the action that results in positive results".

I don't really see what you guys mean. I should have been taking bad results, because they're more in-character?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rotinaj posted:

The way I found to "cheese" the game was "play it every chance I got to find out what events end poorly when you take X, Y or Z action, then take the action that results in positive results".

I don't really see what you guys mean. I should have been taking bad results, because they're more in-character?

I think the consistency is more in line of whether or not to trust spirits and whether or not you choose to fight or pursue legal action when wronged etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

rotinaj posted:

Do your tribes keep splitting apart? I guess you have your answer! Seriously, the game punishes you for behaving like a minmaxing contemporary instead of a honorable Orlanthi.

Almost all actions can turn out well, if you have the right skill on your ring. So pump up your ring. If you're really worried about dwarves selling you delicious dwarfmeats, run with a tradition of hating new things and foreigners. Also, even if you know the 'right' answer because you've seen the event before, it never hurts to ask the gods what to do.

King of Dragon Pass Manual posted:

In one crucial sense, King of Dragon Pass is a roleplaying game: your best chance to succeed is to get into the spirit of playing an Orlanthi clan. Cunning calculations of risk and gain will take you only so far. If you do not accompany such stratagems with a sense of what it means to be a fair and powerful monarch, like Orlanth himself, your clan will go down to defeat.

This passage from the manual is literally true. It's not some mealymouthed attempt to get you to immerse yourself, it's how the game is played.

• Locked thread