Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Agesilaus posted:

Again, it's efficient because they do a lot with a little, something that big law cannot achieve. If your complaint is that the circuit court doesn't give enough money to the pd's office to hire sufficient people, or that you don't like the laws that prosecutors enforce, then those are entirely different matters.

I think you're confusing efficient as in completes a task with efficient as in provides a high quality service. Can bigger firms produce good quality work for less money than they currently charge? Sure. But I think it's also clear that there is a minimum level of representation, attention, and time given to each case below which the "market" is inefficient because someone's getting screwed regardless of how much (or little) they're paying. I don't mean to knock on PDs - the PDs I know do the very best they can given their caseloads, but also don't know many who don't think they could do a better job for their clients if they could spend more time per client.

If, instead, you're just kvetching about the $/hour cost of 'big firm' fees compared to the $/hour of comparable public institutions (PD, DA/US A, etc) then you have a fair point. But I feel less bad about that since most of the people paying the higher fees are larger corporations or wealthier individuals who could shop around to smaller firms that charge lower hourly rates if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Unamuno posted:

1. Readjust my sleep schedule so I can wake up at 7 AM 3 days in a row (doubt I've done that since high school).

3. Actually solidly memorize all the poo poo I haven't memorized to the point of being automatic yet (specific words and phrases, blah blah).

These are the ones that I'm working on right now. I've got a study program designed solely for WA state's wacky all essay test, and it comes down to memorizing rules of law so that I can write them in my sleep. The next 7 days are devoted entirely to memorizing the stuff I've learned already. Gonna be a blast.

nm posted:

Make sure you stop like the night before. I think stress gets people more than actually not knowing the answer. You're not going to learn enough to make a difference in that time. Only bar advice that really helped for me.
Just remember that even Glen Learner passed the drat bar eventually.

Truth. Probably should lay off the sauce for a few days too.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahaha I wrote a student note back in 2006 that was put up on lexis. I just remembered it and pulled it, and found that I've been cited five times. Two of the cites are just collections of articles related to the topic, one of them is a law professor taking issue with my interpretation of her prior work (which I had cited), and two of them are legit cites using my article as support for a factual statement.

Man, it's amusing/embarrassing/terrifying that my name is attached to that article, because it is pretty poorly written and whatnot, and will definitely tank my politicial career if/when I run for office (it's on a somewhat controversial topic).

edit: also, it's kind of addictive seeing people cite me, makes me want to write another article and get it published somewhere.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arcturas posted:

I think you're confusing efficient as in completes a task with efficient as in provides a high quality service. Can bigger firms produce good quality work for less money than they currently charge? Sure. But I think it's also clear that there is a minimum level of representation, attention, and time given to each case below which the "market" is inefficient because someone's getting screwed regardless of how much (or little) they're paying. I don't mean to knock on PDs - the PDs I know do the very best they can given their caseloads, but also don't know many who don't think they could do a better job for their clients if they could spend more time per client.

If, instead, you're just kvetching about the $/hour cost of 'big firm' fees compared to the $/hour of comparable public institutions (PD, DA/US A, etc) then you have a fair point. But I feel less bad about that since most of the people paying the higher fees are larger corporations or wealthier individuals who could shop around to smaller firms that charge lower hourly rates if they wanted.

No, you're the one who is utterly confused; unless you think that public attorneys don't have the ability to perform quality work, then you don't have a point here. All you're indicating is that the public sector is not being funded well enough, not that the public sector is inefficient or that their attorneys are inferior and therefore not comparable. Public offices run in such a fashion that, pound for pound, they clearly out-perform large law firms.

If you turned the tables and gave the public sector big law's budget, and big law the public budget, they would wring their hands and jump ship, while we would serve the entire country's legal needs. On the efficient, public sector side of the equation, you would have larger offices that can handle the case loads they are required to take. On the big law side, you would see a bunch of doc-review clerks poo poo their pants and collapse. Which as far as I can tell is what they do right now when they show up for their pro bono hours.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm at the office doing a will and wearing pants and a button-down shirt. :(
I love the government.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
If you have never practiced law while wearing a Forever Lazy you are missing out.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Agesilaus posted:

No, you're the one who is utterly confused; unless you think that public attorneys don't have the ability to perform quality work, then you don't have a point here. All you're indicating is that the public sector is not being funded well enough, not that the public sector is inefficient or that their attorneys are inferior and therefore not comparable. Public offices run in such a fashion that, pound for pound, they clearly out-perform large law firms.

If you turned the tables and gave the public sector big law's budget, and big law the public budget, they would wring their hands and jump ship, while we would serve the entire country's legal needs. On the efficient, public sector side of the equation, you would have larger offices that can handle the case loads they are required to take. On the big law side, you would see a bunch of doc-review clerks poo poo their pants and collapse. Which as far as I can tell is what they do right now when they show up for their pro bono hours.

You're a prosecutor in a giant municipality. You have a police force to build cases for you, a system that punishes minor crimes committed by the poor and defenseless so severely that you're guaranteed to have average outcomes that look like impressive victories, and anyone with the means to mount a serious defense probably donates to your bosses or the bosses of the police and there's never a case to go anywhere in the first place.

The bulk of your office's work is no more difficult or impressive than those foreclosure mills that handle thousands upon thousands of proceedings and occasionally make grave mistakes with no consequences. Just instead of kicking people out of their homes you're putting black men in jail. Congratulations, you're clearly more efficient than those overpaid civil litigators.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ladies, ladies, let's not do this. We are all noble folk here.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

entris posted:

Ladies, ladies, let's not do this. We are all noble folk here.

Fair deuce.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Ladies, ladies, I won't do this. I'll pretend to be noble.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Somewhere right now there are two biglaw partners bitching about how inefficient their firm is, but I bet the solution isn't "clean shop and raid the DA's office for talent"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MaximumBob posted:

You're a prosecutor in a giant municipality. You have a police force to build cases for you, a system that punishes minor crimes committed by the poor and defenseless so severely that you're guaranteed to have average outcomes that look like impressive victories, and anyone with the means to mount a serious defense probably donates to your bosses or the bosses of the police and there's never a case to go anywhere in the first place.

The bulk of your office's work is no more difficult or impressive than those foreclosure mills that handle thousands upon thousands of proceedings and occasionally make grave mistakes with no consequences. Just instead of kicking people out of their homes you're putting black men in jail. Congratulations, you're clearly more efficient than those overpaid civil litigators.

I will never understand why people still seriouspost at grumblefish

never

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I am addicted to reading e/n solely because the terrible legal advice handed out there by e/n superstars is awesome

Stunt Rock posted:

If you have never practiced law while wearing a Forever Lazy you are missing out.

holy smokes I just googled this and I whipped out my credit card so fast I hurt my wrist

the "zippered hatches" in the back are what sold me

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 21, 2012

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Soothing Vapors posted:

never

I'm a weak, weak man, that's why. I can't help myself.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

holy smokes I just googled this and I whipped out my credit card so fast I hurt my wrist

loving blankets are too complicated and small!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am addicted to reading e/n solely because the terrible legal advice handed out there by e/n superstars is awesome

Drop Seat

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

loving blankets are too complicated and small!

yeah, call me when they make a forever lazy with little bugs bunny heads on it

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

They're for great escapes when duty calls. Or is it doody?

Tee hee poop joke.

I'm serious oh god why is this real.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Green Crayons posted:

They're for great escapes when duty calls. Or is it doody?

Tee hee poop joke.

I'm serious oh god why is this real.

"Magic Poop Collector" was one of the suggested videos.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'd love to see the complaint: Three COUNTS OF
1. Being a Bad Person

When I was doing my 1L memo (on Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress), there was a case (in Colorado I think) about a 25 year old suing his family for IIED because they wouldn't let him smoke weed in the house and took away his xbox.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

When I was doing my 1L memo (on Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress), there was a case (in Colorado I think) about a 25 year old suing his family for IIED because they wouldn't let him smoke weed in the house and took away his xbox.

Citation needed, I uh need it for a friend...

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Actually realized I posted this a long time ago -- still funny.

43 Colo. App. 525; 608 P.2d 364; 1979 Colo. App. LEXIS 896

quote:

The child had been suspended from school for smoking and selling marijuana, and he subsequently quit school. His mother punished him for his suspension from school by requiring him to cut weeds in the backyard. His mother also sent him to a private school in Italy, where he remained for three months until he was expelled. He resided with his mother for short periods thereafter, and she conditioned further support on his either attending school or seeking employment. The child brought suit against the mother, claiming these actions and others constituted willful and wanton neglect and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The trial court granted summary judgment to the mother, and the court affirmed.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Come on, you can't not link some favorites.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

E/N is pretty amazing, what with all the free legal and medical advice being given out, all of which is awful.

e.g. Soothing Vapors laughing at people who don't understand family law. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3467427&pagenumber=2#post400798755

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

Just skim the titles basically any thread that has anything to do with a wife or a roommate or a landlord is going to be full of hilarious internet lawyering

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 22, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MaximumBob posted:

Congratulations, you're clearly more efficient than those overpaid civil litigators.

The above sentence was pretty much the only on-topic part of your entire rant. It was also one of precious few sentences that wasn't complete nonsense. I'm not going to pretend that I understand how you can compare foreclosure mills to the breadth of work performed by lean, mean government lawyering machines, but I don't need to because you already agree that we're more efficient. Thank you, and if you work for a large firm I would love it if you would start cleaning up the mess you lot have made.

Soothing Vapors posted:

never

By all rights I shouldn't bother posting at people with grid iron avatars because you're all pretty terrible. That said, I imagine people in the private sector respond to me like this because the truth can be a tad upsetting when one avoids it for so long.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Somewhere right now there are two biglaw partners bitching about how inefficient their firm is, but I bet the solution isn't "clean shop and raid the DA's office for talent"

That's because they're bitching about how inefficient the firm beneath them is, not the inefficiency of the general system they love. I imagine partners revel in their inefficiency, given how low class they are; unless they've turned over a new leaf and picked themselves out of the big firm gutter, I agree that they wouldn't be seeking out the DA's office. My main hope is that law enforcement starts to seek out big law; I imagine offices could replace part of their misdemeanour call with one focused on a steady stream of lawyer arrests.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Agesilaus posted:

My main hope is that law enforcement starts to seek out big law; I imagine offices could replace part of their misdemeanour call with one focused on a steady stream of lawyer arrests.

:psyduck:

In unrelated news, I have my first annual review on Monday. Best case scenario is they love me, intermediate scenario is that they like me but I havea few things to work on. Worst case scenario is that they like me but I have a lot of things to improve on or else they'll fire me in six more months.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

That's because they're bitching about how inefficient the firm beneath them is, not the inefficiency of the general system they love.

No, it's because defining "efficiency" as "carrying more cases with fewer attorneys" is meaningless, since the driving force behind--and the end result of--the DA's work is a horrid waste of taxpayer money.

Also the DA's office is devoid of talent and most people are there because nobody else will hire them--hate to be the one to break this to you.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also the DA's office is devoid of talent and most people are there because nobody else will hire them--hate to be the one to break this to you.

well, poo poo

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was rejected by a group of nobodies. :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You all are cool I'm just talking about grumblefish's office

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Okay this LSUC professional responsibility course is loving killing me. Most of this poo poo is real estate fraud/ethics questions and I don't even know what a mortgage is.

KILL ME

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No, it's because defining "efficiency" as "carrying more cases with fewer attorneys" is meaningless, since the driving force behind--and the end result of--the DA's work is a horrid waste of taxpayer money.

As long as PDs are still cool.
and we are.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I was rejected by a group of nobodies. :(

I got rejected from volunteering with the group of nobodies :(

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I got rejected from volunteering with the group of nobodies :(

"While your credentials are impressive, we do not have the financial ability to have you work for free in our office. However, we would consider you paying us to allow you to stand in the corner. Unfortunately, your corner time would be limited to five hours a week because demand simply exceeds the number of corners in our office."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
My firm recently (within the last year) absorbed two partners and their minions from another firm. One of the partners has been a particular concern to my entire practice group (L&E) because he has a habit of saying things that the EEOC would look unfavorably upon.

For example, during a callback reception with the candidates I heard him say, "Where's the [protected class] one?"

Well, today he forwarded an e-mail to the entire attorney-office list serve that contained "ironic" pictures that were meant to be humorous. First of all, no one forwards things to the entire attorney list to begin with. However, the biggest problem was that among those pictures was the following:

I'm the closest work friend of one of the TWO black associates in the firm, so she came by my office and vented. The managing partner then called her to apologize. She's deciding whether to file a formal complaint.

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

Going to see Richard Epstein give a talk called "In Praise of the 1%" for Federalist Society at my school today. Should be :smugdog: as hell, though I've heard he's a good speaker.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

aarontxwl posted:

Going to see Richard Epstein give a talk called "In Praise of the 1%" for Federalist Society at my school today. Should be :smugdog: as hell, though I've heard he's a good speaker.

I think he means the 1% of Jews who are actually Republicans. (Yeah, I know it's more like 8%.)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

HiddenReplaced posted:

My firm recently (within the last year) absorbed two partners and their minions from another firm. One of the partners has been a particular concern to my entire practice group (L&E) because he has a habit of saying things that the EEOC would look unfavorably upon.

For example, during a callback reception with the candidates I heard him say, "Where's the [protected class] one?"

Well, today he forwarded an e-mail to the entire attorney-office list serve that contained "ironic" pictures that were meant to be humorous. First of all, no one forwards things to the entire attorney list to begin with. However, the biggest problem was that among those pictures was the following:

I'm the closest work friend of one of the TWO black associates in the firm, so she came by my office and vented. The managing partner then called her to apologize. She's deciding whether to file a formal complaint.

Maybe he's just commenting on our justice system and the disproportionate number of black males imprisoned by our unjut system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

The South will rise again and shrug off the boot of Northern aggression. Please tell me this partner works in the L&E group, so he should know how awful of an idea that is.